Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? (607 Views)

Top Nollywood Movie Directors By Domestic Gross Value - Statisense / Directors Making Me Climb Through Windows – Mercy Aigbe (Photo) / Some Before And After Pictures Of Top Hollywood Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LucemFerre: 10:55pm On Dec 15, 2018
Mine

1. Christopher Nolan - Interstellar, Memento

2. Steven Spielberg - Transformers, Catch me if you can

3. James Cameron - Avatar, Titanic

4. Francis Ford Coppola - The God father series

5. Paul Scheuring - Prison Break

6. Peter Jackson - The Lord of the rings

7. Michael Mann - Heat

8. The Russo brothers - Avengers

And others

Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LuciferOluwaWah: 11:05pm On Dec 15, 2018
My List

1. Quentin Tarantino
2. Christopher Nolan
3. Peter Jackson
4. Martin Scorsese

Honourable mentions:

Steven Soderbergh
Steven Spielberg
Francis Ford Coppola
Ridley Scott
Brian De Palma

PS: I don't give a fvck about James Cameron - he is overrated to me.

*spits angry
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 15, 2018
As for me,...
It is Kanu Nwakwo grin
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LucemFerre: 5:27am On Dec 16, 2018
LuciferOluwaWah:

PS: I don't give a fvck about James Cameron - he is overrated to me.

*spits angry

Maybe so but, you've gotta give him Avatar. That movie was crazy
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LuciferOluwaWah: 10:12am On Dec 16, 2018
LucemFerre:

Maybe so but, you've gotta give him Avatar. That movie was crazy

Actually, it was Avatar that made me hate him.
3D effects & CGI cannot be used to determine good directing because they can be manipulated in any form desired.

In my opinion, the Wachowski brothers did a better job at special effects with the Matrix Trilogy because they worked their effects on real humans (though I didn't add them because they didn't do much else afterwards except turn homo).

Avatar was a hit no doubt but again, box office sales are not a criteria for "great directing" to me.
Look at Black Panther for example, huge sales but piss poor acting / directing.

Cameron might be a great 3D artist / architect but an average director to me.
I feel his hype is because of the innovations he introduces to the industry & not for his talent at directing.

I even rate Mel Gibson higher than him.
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LucemFerre: 11:17am On Dec 16, 2018
LuciferOluwaWah:

3D effects & CGI cannot be used to determine good directing because they can be manipulated in any form desired.

It's how you use them

LuciferOluwaWah:

In my opinion, the Wachowski brothers did a better job at special effects with the Matrix Trilogy because they worked their effects on real humans (though I didn't add them because they didn't do much else afterwards except turn homo).

Avatar was a hit no doubt but again, box office sales are not a criteria for "great directing" to me.
Look at Black Panther for example, huge sales but piss poor acting / directing.

Cameron might be a great 3D artist / architect but an average director to me.
I feel his hype is because of the innovations he introduces to the industry & not for his talent at directing.

I even rate Mel Gibson higher than him.

I respect your opinion. But after seeing the making of Avatar i realized that the special effect was just 30% of what made the movie great. You've seen how that orchestra coordination was made...? Shiii
FYI... Idgaf about reviewers'/critics' reviews or Box office for that matter.
Innovation is part of what directing is. If it wasn't then Shyamalan, Michael Bay, Zack Snyder would be great directors. They aren't at the top because of their lack of innovation.

I understand hating something for the love it gets, especially when everybody is on the "bandwagon." I won't even look at the poster of Acrimony because every dog and goat like the damn movie but, James Cameron is goooood. For Avatar.
Alitta is coming out soon and I can't wait.

Matrix had a piss poor fight sequence even for a movie of that time. Chinese were doing something far better then. It didn't impress me at all. CG multiplicAtion of Agent Smith isn't really an "effect" I watched it because of Keanu Reaves. The only new "special" effect was the magnification of bullet-time. But, Trinity given a Chi sign in air before delivering that weak ass kick... Pffft

It's cool though... To each their own. Avatar is one of the greatest movie of all time to me and that places James Cameron very high on my list.

Mel is an actor, pls leave him there
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LuciferOluwaWah: 11:30am On Dec 16, 2018
LucemFerre:

It's how you use them

I respect your opinion. But after seeing the making of Avatar i realized that the special effect was just 30% of what made the movie great. You've seen how that orchestra coordination was made...? Shiii
FYI... Idgaf about reviewers'/critics' reviews or Box office for that matter.
Innovation is part of what directing is. If it wasn't then Shyamalan, Michael Bay, Zack Snyder would be great directors. They aren't at the top because of their lack of innovation.

I understand hating something for the love it gets, especially when everybody is on the "bandwagon" but, James Cameron is good. For Avatar. Alitta is coming out soon and I can't wait.

Matrix had a piss poor fight sequence even for a movie of that time. Chinese were doing something far better then. It didn't impress me at all. CG multiplicAtion of Agent Smith isn't really an "effect" I watched it because of Keanu Reaves. The only new "special" effect was the magnification of bullet-time. But, Trinity given a Chi sign in air before delivering that weak ass kick... Pffft

It's cool though... To each their own. Avatar is one of the greatest movie of all time to me and that places James Cameron very high on my list.

Mel is an actor, pls leave him there

1. The Matrix trilogy was and still remains a masterpiece.
I wonder where you got your warped observations from.

2. Avatar is not one of the greatest movies of all time & if you dare me, I will list 20 movies better than it.

3. Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ & Apocalypto beats anything Cameron has to offer even though he hasn't directed much.

4. What does Cameron have? Avatar, Terminator & Titanic and that's it.
Scorsese & Spielberg have far better material please.

*spits angry
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LucemFerre: 11:49am On Dec 16, 2018
LuciferOluwaWah:

2. Avatar is not one of the greatest movies of all time & if you dare me, I will list 20 movies better than it.

3. Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ & Apocalypto beats anything Cameron has to offer even though he hasn't directed much.

*spits angry

Hehe... Alright dude. I give up. Whatever makes you sleep at night. It is what it is

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by USUKUMA(m): 1:03pm On Dec 16, 2018
meh, just state your fav, and vamoose.

I love everyone of them directors whose movies I enjoyed.
The aforementioned ones, and james wan. I'm also not forgetting legendary korean directors.

loved Gibson for apocalypto.
James wan for the conjuring. hope aquaman doesnt fail
James cameron for avatar/titanic
Steven Spielberg for saving private ryan, jurassic park, adventures of tin tin
Quentin tarantino inglorious basterds, kill bill
Christopher Nolan for dark knight, inception, dunkirk
Peter jackson for king kong, hobbit series.

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by happybee: 7:24pm On Dec 16, 2018
Mel Gibson top my list any day.

"We were soldiers" you guys should watch the movie.
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LucemFerre: 7:54pm On Dec 16, 2018
happybee:
Mel Gibson top my list any day.

"We were soldiers" you guys should watch the movie.

It was directed by Randall Wallace. Mel was an actor in it
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by happybee: 8:01pm On Dec 16, 2018
LucemFerre:

It was directed by Randall Wallace. Mel was an actor in it
Well, Mel is a very talented movie director and actor.
Maybe you should check out Hacksaw and ridge too. He should be on top of the list followed by Spielberg.
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LucemFerre: 8:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
happybee:
Well, Mel is a very talented movie director and actor.

He sure is
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by Miggs(m): 1:55pm On Dec 18, 2018
Wes Anderson-He directed Moonrise Kingdom,The Royal Tenenbaums,Rushmore,The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
If you have a quirky taste in films,this is the director for you.
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by LucemFerre: 3:21pm On Dec 18, 2018
Miggs:
Wes Anderson-He directed Moonrise Kingdom,The Royal Tenenbaums,Rushmore,The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
If you have a quirky taste in films,this is the director for you.

Wow, can't believe i haven't watched any of those
Re: Who Are Your Top Hollywood Directors? by BenzEne1(m): 11:03pm On Dec 18, 2018
LuciferOluwaWah:

*spits angry

Apocalypto takes Mel far above Cameron.
I think people judge Cameron based on the overwhelming success of his movies. He's good too, Mel nudges him our tho.

For me Tarantino, Coen brothers, Scorsese and Guillermo del Toro will top my list. Maybe an outside chance for Clint Eastwood.

(1) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Organisers Release Names Of 2019 Shortlisted Housemates / Wonders Shall Never End! See What Happened In A Wedding Ceremony / See The Sad Moment Oldest Bbnaija 2019 Housemate, Omashola Cried Like A Baby(Vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.