Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,272 members, 7,811,798 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car (12810 Views)

8 Parts Potholes Can Damage In A Car / 5 Car Parts Potholes Can Damage / 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Godspower35(m): 5:06am On Dec 16, 2018
Buying a car is a big investment, and for most of us, a car is something we want to keep running for as long as possible. But sometimes our own bad habits are the worst enemy of a car. What are you owed?

Ignore the parking brake

Even if you are parked on a level surface, there is really no reason not to use the parking brake. If you do not engage the parking brake, the entire weight of your vehicle is placed on a small piece of metal in the transmission, the parking pawl. It's only
about as big as your finger, so it can wear out if you hold that weight. By using the parking brake, the load is relieved, which keeps sensitive transmission components longer.

Keep the tank low

Many fuel pumps stay cool when they stay submerged in the fuel. So if you regularly run to a quarter or less, there is a risk that the fuel pump must be replaced faster. Paying more at the gas station may sting, but it does not hurt as much as needing a new fuel pump.

Abrupt change of car reverse

It may not seem that bad at the moment, but over time such sudden changes in direction can really damage your transmission. Stop completely before moving on instead. This only adds a second of time and will prevent future damage to the engine, transmission or axle.

Turning before the engine is hot

Letting your car rest for a minute or two just after starting is a good idea. It helps to distribute the oil in the engine and to put the engine block and the oil at temperature. Running the engine will not speed up the process. In fact, this could cause easily avoided damage. The cold regime causes sudden changes in temperature that create a constraint between the well-fitting components of the engine. Just give it 60 seconds before you hit the road and everything has warmed up for reliable performance.

Flooring when you do not need it

All car enthusiasts feel the temptation to exercise at full speed from time to time. A problem with this is that you usually have to crush the brakes to slow down. Neither is good for your car. A strong acceleration consumes a ton of fuel and imposes a heavy load on the components of the transmission. Full force stops cause rapid wear of the brake pads and rotors.

Using the switch as a hand rest

Driving a car with a manual gearbox can be a lot of fun, and as you row through the aisles, it feels like you have one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gear lever. Not If you keep your hand on the gear lever, the bushings and synchronizers of the gearbox are overloaded, which leads to premature wear. It is best to leave both hands on the steering wheel. They help your transmission and can take over control if you need to make a sudden steering maneuver.

The clutch abuse

If you stop, hold the clutch to the ground. In this way, you can progressively move forward when traffic is moving, or you can be ready when the light turns green. However, if you leave the clutch in the stopped state, the surfaces will scratch against each other, causing them to wear out and create the possibility of failure. The release bearing, the release arm and the pressure plate can also be damaged. Instead of driving the clutch with the shift lever engaged, use the neutral gear lever to disengage the clutch. When it's time to go, engage the clutch, grab first and drive.

It carries too much weight

The more car weighs, the more emphasis on its drive system, its suspension and braking, and the more fuel it consumes - it's so easy. Do everything you can to make your car as easy as possible. We do not recommend that the air conditioner or sound system be cut, but clean the excess waste. While removing a few pounds of weight, you can only add an extra mile to a gas boiler, which can really make a difference in the long run. Make sure the car is stocked daily with daily supplies and stores the residue elsewhere.

The Brake Rides Down

Sometimes you have to brake if you go down to avoid running too fast. However, this may cause the brake pads and rotor parts to warm up, causing wear and increase the risk of overheating or deflection. As a solution, try to switch to a lower gear. Natural decompression in the drive chain helps to maintain the car at a safe speed. So if you have to find the brakes, you'll find it more efficient.

Ignoring Warning Signs

Any strange vibrations, intermittent groans, occasional knocks or other unusual symptoms should be investigated immediately. You may not feel any problem, but the longer you wait, the more trouble you may be if a part suddenly fails and you stay on the edge of the road.
[img]https://4.bp..com/-HryDYtnS1K0/XBXItV-0YRI/AAAAAAAAB2c/d1EWN-6R7CY-jPTlhQegvhMJAeyaHWLawCLcBGAs/s1600/man%2Bdriving.jpeg[/img]

Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2018/12/10-bad-habits-that-can-damage-your-car.html#more

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
Cheers. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by vizkiz: 7:31am On Dec 17, 2018
Well... Carrying too much weight is what most Nigerians are used to. Lol

3 Likes

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Houseofglam7(f): 7:31am On Dec 17, 2018
Gotcha wink
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by remi4ever(m): 7:32am On Dec 17, 2018
Frontpage back2back since yesterday.. lemme bookmark this, because i will soon buy a car!!!
Abeg lemme continue working on my app jae!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by InansBobo(m): 7:32am On Dec 17, 2018
Let me save this for 2025
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Jh0wsef(m): 7:32am On Dec 17, 2018
Houseofglam7:
Gotcha wink
Heyy, need a logo for your "House of Glam"? smiley
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by neonly: 7:33am On Dec 17, 2018
OP forgot to add sex in d car dat one kill car fast fast
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by punisha: 7:34am On Dec 17, 2018
grin

OP added ignoring warning lights... Lol

Here in Nigeria warning lights don't mean Jack.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by johnshagb(m): 7:35am On Dec 17, 2018
I'll bookmark this till I get a car grin
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Houseofglam7(f): 7:36am On Dec 17, 2018
Jh0wsef:

Heyy, need a logo for your "House of Glam"? smiley
Nah sweetie.
I'm good
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by landmark86: 7:43am On Dec 17, 2018
2 crates of beer for Op
Tnx for the info
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by infolekan(m): 7:47am On Dec 17, 2018
I have a problem with point 5. Most vehicle makes usually advice you drive at moderate speed in the morning immediately you start you car. It’s written in my Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and BMW car manual.
It helps because most wears on engine usually happen when you do a cold start in the morning as it takes a while for the engine oil to get to the.optimum temperature(important in cars with the thermostat still intact though).
Leaving it to run ‘for some few minutes’ before driving it increases the time frame for the engine to get to the optimum temperature required for the engine oil to achieve full lubrication thereby increasing engine wear. A better advice is to drive immediately at moderate speed so as to increase engine temperature faster.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by gbadexy(m): 7:47am On Dec 17, 2018
nice write up.
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by IkpuMmadu: 7:55am On Dec 17, 2018
If you drive automatic ..if you want your engine to last , drive it like manual ...if you are in a stop or holdup. Put your car gear in N or P don't leave it at D and put leg on break pedals . It weakens the gear solenoids

15 Likes

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by maxiuc(m): 7:56am On Dec 17, 2018
Knack

Knacking in your car can also cause damages
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Samirana360(m): 7:58am On Dec 17, 2018
ok
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Nobody: 8:03am On Dec 17, 2018
The way I look at people on that Table 2 enh undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by celestialAgent(m): 8:10am On Dec 17, 2018
k;;
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by ticoticotico: 8:11am On Dec 17, 2018
Thanks Op, I learnt some important stuffs
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by logon599: 8:15am On Dec 17, 2018
Currently in a dilemma with that number 1 because my handbrake is faulty. So the whole car weight has to rest on the parking transmission.

Cheap Architectural designs? See my signature

1 Like

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by legalwealth(m): 8:29am On Dec 17, 2018
punisha:
grin

OP added ignoring warning lights... Lol

Here in Nigeria warning lights don't mean Jack.

grin grin grin

But it means alot to me especially the check engine light! !!

1 Like

Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by abbeyfel: 8:37am On Dec 17, 2018
Godspower35:
Buying a car is a big investment, and for most of us, a car is something we want to keep running for as long as possible. But sometimes our own bad habits are the worst enemy of a car. What are you owed?

Ignore the parking brake

Even if you are parked on a level surface, there is really no reason not to use the parking brake. If you do not engage the parking brake, the entire weight of your vehicle is placed on a small piece of metal in the transmission, the parking pawl. It's only
about as big as your finger, so it can wear out if you hold that weight. By using the parking brake, the load is relieved, which keeps sensitive transmission components longer.

Keep the tank low

Many fuel pumps stay cool when they stay submerged in the fuel. So if you regularly run to a quarter or less, there is a risk that the fuel pump must be replaced faster. Paying more at the gas station may sting, but it does not hurt as much as needing a new fuel pump.

Abrupt change of car reverse

It may not seem that bad at the moment, but over time such sudden changes in direction can really damage your transmission. Stop completely before moving on instead. This only adds a second of time and will prevent future damage to the engine, transmission or axle.

Turning before the engine is hot

Letting your car rest for a minute or two just after starting is a good idea. It helps to distribute the oil in the engine and to put the engine block and the oil at temperature. Running the engine will not speed up the process. In fact, this could cause easily avoided damage. The cold regime causes sudden changes in temperature that create a constraint between the well-fitting components of the engine. Just give it 60 seconds before you hit the road and everything has warmed up for reliable performance.

Flooring when you do not need it

All car enthusiasts feel the temptation to exercise at full speed from time to time. A problem with this is that you usually have to crush the brakes to slow down. Neither is good for your car. A strong acceleration consumes a ton of fuel and imposes a heavy load on the components of the transmission. Full force stops cause rapid wear of the brake pads and rotors.

Using the switch as a hand rest

Driving a car with a manual gearbox can be a lot of fun, and as you row through the aisles, it feels like you have one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gear lever. Not If you keep your hand on the gear lever, the bushings and synchronizers of the gearbox are overloaded, which leads to premature wear. It is best to leave both hands on the steering wheel. They help your transmission and can take over control if you need to make a sudden steering maneuver.

The clutch abuse

If you stop, hold the clutch to the ground. In this way, you can progressively move forward when traffic is moving, or you can be ready when the light turns green. However, if you leave the clutch in the stopped state, the surfaces will scratch against each other, causing them to wear out and create the possibility of failure. The release bearing, the release arm and the pressure plate can also be damaged. Instead of driving the clutch with the shift lever engaged, use the neutral gear lever to disengage the clutch. When it's time to go, engage the clutch, grab first and drive.

It carries too much weight

The more car weighs, the more emphasis on its drive system, its suspension and braking, and the more fuel it consumes - it's so easy. Do everything you can to make your car as easy as possible. We do not recommend that the air conditioner or sound system be cut, but clean the excess waste. While removing a few pounds of weight, you can only add an extra mile to a gas boiler, which can really make a difference in the long run. Make sure the car is stocked daily with daily supplies and stores the residue elsewhere.

The Brake Rides Down

Sometimes you have to brake if you go down to avoid running too fast. However, this may cause the brake pads and rotor parts to warm up, causing wear and increase the risk of overheating or deflection. As a solution, try to switch to a lower gear. Natural decompression in the drive chain helps to maintain the car at a safe speed. So if you have to find the brakes, you'll find it more efficient.

Ignoring Warning Signs

Any strange vibrations, intermittent groans, occasional knocks or other unusual symptoms should be investigated immediately. You may not feel any problem, but the longer you wait, the more trouble you may be if a part suddenly fails and you stay on the edge of the road.
[img]https://4.bp..com/-HryDYtnS1K0/XBXItV-0YRI/AAAAAAAAB2c/d1EWN-6R7CY-jPTlhQegvhMJAeyaHWLawCLcBGAs/s1600/man%2Bdriving.jpeg[/img]

Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2018/12/10-bad-habits-that-can-damage-your-car.html#more
Thanks so much for this timely piece..
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by CarGuidNG: 8:49am On Dec 17, 2018
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by davit: 8:50am On Dec 17, 2018
I hate seeing warning lights on my dashboard especially the check engine light!
legalwealth:

grin grin grin

But it means alot to me especially the check engine light! !!
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 17, 2018
if you drive a 2006 passat or higher, its good to ignore parking brake, those ve e brakes are crap! always causing embarrassment at traffic lights.
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by chincuss(m): 10:16am On Dec 17, 2018
Amazing .. I av bin a victim of some points there. Thanks
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by KJBello: 1:02pm On Dec 17, 2018
neonly:
OP forgot to add sex in d car dat one kill car fast fast

Is this true and how? No be say I dey do ham o, but I just wan find out
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by neonly: 1:46pm On Dec 17, 2018
KJBello:

Is this true and how? No be say I dey do ham o, but I just wan find out

Try it nd find out personally experiment
Re: 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Demarvin: 12:15am On Dec 18, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ever Escaped FRSC? Share Your Experience With FRSC / Driving Tips For First Time Drivers In Lagos / Innoson Motors Set To Feature On BBC,BBC Correspondence Pays Them Visit(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.