Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,309 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car (14361 Views)

8 Parts Potholes Can Damage In A Car / 10 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Car / Avoid These 7 Distracted Driving Habits. They Are Dangerous. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by AutoJoshNIG: 2:24pm On Mar 19, 2018
Unknown to some of us, there are some bad driving habits that we often exhibit with our cars.

These bad driving habits can place your car under unnecessary strain. Some of these bad driving habits might even lead to problems that will require you to waste money on needless repairs. The interesting thing is that you might not even be aware that you are doing some of them.

Autojosh has put together 5 common bad driving habits that can damage your vehicle.

Carrying Too Much Load

Carrying very heavy load is an excellent way to damage a car suspension system. This is because the heavier a car is, the more pressure that is put on the car suspension system. So, ensure to keep your car as light as possible always. Only carry necessary items in your car.

Revving Your Car’s Engine Before It Is Warm

It is not advisable to rev your car engine immediately after you turn on the ignition. Allow your car to warm itself for some minutes before you step on the throttle. Doing this will allow oil to circulate throughout the engine. It will also allow the oil and blocks to work at the right temperature. Revving the engine will not hasten up these processes.

Allowing Your Fuel Tank To Dry up

One of the best car maintenance habit is to always top up the fuel in your tank in order for it not to go so low. Filling up your tank can help to prevent damage to your fuel system.

Dirt and particles from fuel settle at the bottom of every fuel tank. When you allow the level of the fuel in your tank go so low, you make your car to suck up the dirt particles. This process over a period can have a damaging effect on the car engine.

Not Using Your Parking Break

Contrary to what most people think, the parking brake or hand brake is not only designed to be applied when the surface is not level or slant. Your parking brake should be used at all times.

Not using the parking brake puts the whole weight of your car on a very little piece of metal in the transmission called the parking pawl. The parking pawl is a very small object. It is just about the size of your finger.

So with too much pressure on it, the parking pawl can eventually break from too much weight on it. This can be avoided when the parking brake is always applied, this way the load on the car is evenly distributed.

Ignoring Warning Signs

There are warning signs that your car gives you that informs you that something is wrong . Do not ignore such warnings. Ignoring them might mean letting the problem degenerate to the point where it damages the car. When your car start making unusual sounds, or giving you some warning signs, ensure to immediately inspect the car to find out the cause of the warnings.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/4-habits-that-can-damage-your-car/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by stefanweeks: 2:26pm On Mar 19, 2018
Nice one
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Horlaidex(m): 3:02pm On Mar 19, 2018
smiley
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by autojosh: 10:26pm On Mar 19, 2018
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

1 Like

Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:45am On Mar 20, 2018
you forgot to add having sex in the back seat cool

6 Likes

Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Mynd44: 6:58am On Mar 20, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
That does not damage your car.

Except your wife catches you and she decides to take it out on the car

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by LordAA(m): 7:01am On Mar 20, 2018
Noted
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by moscobabs(m): 7:02am On Mar 20, 2018
I beg my car hand break is faulty o

What's the risk involve
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by hubtiva: 7:02am On Mar 20, 2018
nice
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by FreeConCiencE: 7:05am On Mar 20, 2018
Ok
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by BIXYBABE: 7:05am On Mar 20, 2018
Nice one from Op
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by kajsa08: 7:06am On Mar 20, 2018
.������� nice
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by King4Roller: 7:16am On Mar 20, 2018
Make i save am. I go read am when my G65 land.
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Nwaohafia1: 7:17am On Mar 20, 2018
Nice info
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by buchilino(m): 7:24am On Mar 20, 2018
Mynd44:

That does damage your car.

MORNING Mr GAZZ, SOMETHING STRANGE HAPPENED TO ME RECENTLY, THOUGHT MAYBE U CAN ADVICE. I HAD AN ENGINE KNOCK ON MY CAMRY, WEN I CHECKED, DER WAS OIL INSIDE, D RADIATOR FAN WAS WORKING N WATER WAS STILL INSIDE THE RADIATOR. SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND Y D ENGINE STILL KNOCKED. D MECHANIC I CALLED SAID DAT D OIL WAS NOT ENTERING D LOWER PART OF THE ENGINE N DAT LEAD TO KNOCK. DOES SUCH THINGS HAPPEN IN A CAR. N IF SO HOW DOES ONE AVOID IT IN D FUTURE. THANKS.

1 Like

Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by buchilino(m): 7:25am On Mar 20, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

MORNING Mr GAZZ, SOMETHING STRANGE HAPPENED TO ME RECENTLY, THOUGHT MAYBE U CAN ADVICE. I HAD AN ENGINE KNOCK ON MY CAMRY, WEN I CHECKED, DER WAS OIL INSIDE, D RADIATOR FAN WAS WORKING N WATER WAS STILL INSIDE THE RADIATOR. SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND Y D ENGINE STILL KNOCKED. D MECHANIC I CALLED SAID DAT D OIL WAS NOT ENTERING D LOWER PART OF THE ENGINE N DAT LEAD TO KNOCK. DOES SUCH THINGS HAPPEN IN A CAR. N IF SO HOW DOES ONE AVOID IT IN D FUTURE. THANKS
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by don4real18(m): 7:29am On Mar 20, 2018
Great tips
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by OboOlora(f): 7:36am On Mar 20, 2018
buchilino:

MORNING Mr GAZZ, SOMETHING STRANGE HAPPENED TO ME RECENTLY, THOUGHT MAYBE U CAN ADVICE. I HAD AN ENGINE KNOCK ON MY CAMRY, WEN I CHECKED, DER WAS OIL INSIDE, D RADIATOR FAN WAS WORKING N WATER WAS STILL INSIDE THE RADIATOR. SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND Y D ENGINE STILL KNOCKED. D MECHANIC I CALLED SAID DAT D OIL WAS NOT ENTERING D LOWER PART OF THE ENGINE N DAT LEAD TO KNOCK. DOES SUCH THINGS HAPPEN IN A CAR. N IF SO HOW DOES ONE AVOID IT IN D FUTURE. THANKS
I would advise you take your car to a Toyota accredited service Centre and not rely on advice dished out by some online forum’s Kazeem

2 Likes

Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Reeberry: 7:37am On Mar 20, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Who does that while driving a car? In your village?
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by GeeString: 7:41am On Mar 20, 2018
Reeberry:
Who does that while driving a car? In your village?

You are not a skilled driver.
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by GeeString: 7:42am On Mar 20, 2018
ben432:
Informative!

Why you come shout am?
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by solid3(m): 7:45am On Mar 20, 2018
Mynd44:

That does not damage your car.

Having sex in the car will knock your engine.
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:52am On Mar 20, 2018
buchilino:

Let me copy my Oga first.

Cc leagalwealth

Now what engine oil do you use, and @ what intervals do you change your engine oil?
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by DonBobes(m): 8:03am On Mar 20, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Badt guy himself, GAZZUZZ d car Guru
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by seyiojomu(m): 8:03am On Mar 20, 2018
Not warming up your car is invalid OP. Especially with modern cars we have around this days.

The eras of warming up car before moving was more important when we still had carburetor engines moving around.
Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by ashjay001(m): 8:11am On Mar 20, 2018
Manual drivers: change ur gears n stop stressing d engine. A higher gear, doesn't mean u av to speed up to compensate. U can be on gear 5 n still cruise at less than 80km/h.

1 Like

Re: 5 Driving Habits That Can Damage Your Car by Mynd44: 8:21am On Mar 20, 2018
solid3:

Having sex in the car will knock your engine.
Issa lie. You are good as long as you use lubrication

(1) (2) (Reply)

Five Fluids You Should Check To Keep Your Car Running Smoothly / Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? / Uber To Focus On Bikes Over Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.