Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? (2105 Views)

My Bag Cucumber Dairy / List Of Rice Producing States In Nigeria / Nigeria Responsible For Collapse Of Rice Mills In Thailand - Audu Ogbeh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:35pm On Dec 16, 2018
Please house I need help
Kept a bag of rice only to discover that weavels are doing damage to it.
I need to know if there is any remedy for this, please.
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by majorgr: 3:06pm On Dec 16, 2018
immediately go and sundry it, the weevils will leave. leave it to sundry under d sun for as long as possible till they're not a menace again, then store in a airtight nylon
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by NOETHNICITY(m): 3:38pm On Dec 16, 2018
majorgr:
immediately go and sundry it, the weevils will leave. leave it to sundry under d sun for as long as possible till they're not a menace again, then store in a airtight nylon
May God bless you bro
thanks a million
But this our Lagos wey space to pack car no dey let alone sundry

well I will see what I can do
thanks a million
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by stagger: 9:45pm On Dec 16, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
Please house I need help

Kept a bag of rice only to discover that weavels are doing damage to it.

I need to know if there is any remedy for this, please.

Spread the rice in the sun, especially this very hot harmattan sun. Nobody will tell them to leave.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by NOETHNICITY(m): 10:23pm On Dec 16, 2018
stagger:

Spread the rice in the sun, especially this very hot harmattan sun. Nobody will tell them to leave.
Thanks bro
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by agriclearner: 12:35pm On Dec 17, 2018
Look for an air tight nylon. Ensure it is air tight. Pour the rice in it and make sure tightened and no air can enter. You can use multiple air tight nylon to achieve this. If there is no oxygen for the weavels to breath they would die . That's how beans and maize are protect d from insects.

Or you can sieve sand and get the finest granules that is like dust.mix it with the rice and put in preferably air sealed nylon just as above. If the weavels breath, they breath in dust and die.
Just when you want to eat the rice you have to sieve again and wash the dust off before cooking.
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by SocialJustice: 10:54am On Dec 19, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
May God bless you bro
thanks a million
But this our Lagos wey space to pack car no dey let alone sundry

well I will see what I can do
thanks a million
put dried pepper in the rice if there's no space, the weavils will leave.
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by faithfull18(f): 11:45am On Dec 19, 2018
Get a pot, put the rice batch by batch depending on the quantity, put it on fire, cover for some minutes, the heat will kill them. Turn the rice to avoid it being burnt. Lastly, sieve it to separate the rice from the dead weevil, then store and thank me later.

I did this for my beans and it worked.
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by NOETHNICITY(m): 12:19pm On Dec 19, 2018
SocialJustice:
put dried pepper in the rice if there's no space, the weavils will leave.
really?ok, but already taken it to my sisters place for sundrying.
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by NOETHNICITY(m): 12:26pm On Dec 19, 2018
agriclearner:
Look for an air tight nylon. Ensure it is air tight. Pour the rice in it and make sure tightened and no air can enter. You can use multiple air tight nylon to achieve this. If there is no oxygen for the weavels to breath they would die . That's how beans and maize are protect d from insects.

Or you can sieve sand and get the finest granules that is like dust.mix it with the rice and put in preferably air sealed nylon just as above. If the weavels breath, they breath in dust and die.
Just when you want to eat the rice you have to sieve again and wash the dust off before cooking.
A most brilliant idea
thanks bro
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by NOETHNICITY(m): 12:28pm On Dec 19, 2018
faithfull18:
Get a pot, put the rice batch by batch depending on the quantity, cover for some minutes, the heat will kill them. Turn the rice to avoid it being burnt. Lastly, sieve it to separate the rice from the dead weevil, then store and thank me later.

I did this for my beans and it worked.
Hahahahahah
fine idea
thanks
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by faithfull18(f): 12:47pm On Dec 19, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
Hahahahahah fine idea thanks
You are welcome. I didn't remember to add that you put the pot on fire.
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by SocialJustice: 1:49pm On Dec 19, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
really?ok, but already taken it to my sisters place for sundrying.

Ok
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by EvilSirit: 9:11am On Dec 20, 2018
I was faced with similar issue(half bag of rice), after sundrying for weeks with no changes.. I decided to throwaway or give it out. Then an idea came to my head and I decided to give it last trial, Refrigerate! Kept the bag of rice in a deep freezer overnight.. Next morning they were all dead, repacked and they never returned.
Hope this helps.
Re: How Do I Salvage My Bag Of Rice Infested With Weavels? by duality(m): 8:31pm On May 19, 2022
EvilSirit:
I was faced with similar issue(half bag of rice), after sundrying for weeks with no changes.. I decided to throwaway or give it out. Then an idea came to my head and I decided to give it last trial, Refrigerate! Kept the bag of rice in a deep freezer overnight.. Next morning they were all dead, repacked and they never returned.
Hope this helps.

Please how were you able to prevent the rice from becoming damp following your putting it in the freezer.

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Yam Business From Benue State / Rabbit Farming Business: An Ignored But Cool Money Making Business In Nigeria / Suppliers Of Raw Cashew Nuts Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.