Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Immigration Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Immigration Advice (630 Views)

Immigration Officer’s Wife Battered For Shunning Love Advances / Immigration Officer Arrested For Burning Girl With Hot Iron / Going Through the Immigration Process To Bring Your Nigerian Husband to America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Immigration Advice by April22(f): 2:50am On Aug 05, 2010
My SIL is an illegal immigrant in the US. I'll call her a fake name, Patrice. Her sister (my other SIL) who is an American citizen applied for her to get a green card back in 2000. I am African American and my husband's Nigerian. I have been watching the news and I fear that the US is about to become even harder for illegal immigrants. I suggested to Patrice that she go see an attorney so they can hopefully check on her application and speed up the process. I have heard that the waiting period for siblings to get called in is 10 years.

Patrice doesn't like discussing this and hasn't been returning calls lately. My husband won't talk to me about this and he does not want me to talk to his other sister even to ask her about the application. One thing I wonder about is if they ever updated the address since both have moved since 2000. I know she's an adult and should be taking care of her business, but she isn't. Maybe I'm missing something. What advice can you give me about how to handle this? How long is the waiting period for siblings? Could an immigration lawyer help speed up the process? If I call my other SIL to discuss this, I'm going against my husband. But, this seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Your opinions/thoughts are much appreciated.
Re: Immigration Advice by Sissy3(f): 4:14am On Aug 05, 2010
wrong section.

try the Travel section
Re: Immigration Advice by tpiah: 4:28am On Aug 05, 2010
true, you'll probably get more advice in the travel section.

I fear that the US is about to become even harder for illegal immigrants.

i agree.

legal and illegal immigrants alike.
Re: Immigration Advice by April22(f): 1:45pm On Aug 05, 2010
Thanks. I'll try the Travel board. Yes, I things are going to get harder. Look at all the hoopla about a mosque being built near ground zero in NY.
Re: Immigration Advice by luap: 5:07pm On Aug 05, 2010
do you homework.

If your a US citizen and married to a foreigner, file the I-130(spouse or relative visa) U will recieve a NOA(notification of action). I think you said you got one. After you received the NOA, make a copy of it and file the I-129. There are no additional fees cause you already paid when you filed the I-130. The I-129 is a fiance visa, but it can be used for spouses as well. The I-129 is about a 6 month process. You will have a finacee visa until your I-130 gets approaved.
Re: Immigration Advice by prittigrrr(f): 5:20pm On Aug 06, 2010
10 years is very long. It appears they are not telling you all.
Re: Immigration Advice by mutter(f): 5:25pm On Aug 06, 2010
off topic

why don`t you mind your own business? The less you know the less it affects you. Even Obama had an illegal Aunt in the US.

(1) (Reply)

Matured Mind / The World Is Yours This Year And Beyound / Genotype And Blood Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.