Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,254 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. (14401 Views)

Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? / Burying The Dead Is More Expensive Than Caring For The Living In Some Parts Of N / How Children Of The Dead Share Proceed Made From Funeral Ceremonies In Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Johnchizoba(m): 8:00am On Dec 21, 2018
QUESTIONING THE ILLUSION OF BURYING THE DEAD IN SOME PART OF NIGERIA

Why do people spend much money during funerals? Why do we honour people more when they are dead than when they were alive? We build houses, we re-paint the old house, we repair the Zinc, we build more rooms and repair the damaged toilet and do some other things where as when this gentle man and woman was alive, you could not afford to give him/her one naira to buy drug to get himself or herself treated. On that day when he/she is dead, you kill the fattest cow, you gather the whole bags of rice in Nigeria, you make the whole village bubble in joy of things to eat and those to drink. What happen to this money when this man or woman was alive? Why don't you collect this loan to treat him/her? Why don't you create an oportunitunity to celebrate him/her? What kind of honour do you want to give him/her in the grave? We are all hypocrites!

I grew up seeing things. Things that made me want to lose myself into the ocean of thought. Things that left me in dire need of someone to talk to. Things that were abnormal when weigh from left to right and back and forth. There are those I think of changing and those I think I would never change and those things I am fighting desperately to change.

I grew up in a city where every year or every December period, people gather their deads to be buried in the village or nearby where they deem it fit for them to be buried. Some were buried in Aba Cemetery while others were taken to the village to be buried.

Then in Aba, everywhere is being covered by funeral posters from October to November. Those who want to bury their dead ones in December and those who wants to bury theirs by Easter start posting the posters around January or February just to create awareness to family members and friends and relations. It is more like the politicians who made a law in the country to avoid people pasting posters on walls of the cities and end up posting their election posters during their campaigns.

I grew up seeing posters everywhere in the cities of Abia state and its environs. I grew up trying to understand why it was like that but no one was there to explain to me. Some of these posters read "Gone so soon" "painful Exist" Transition to glory" "Glorious Home call" and so many write ups. I grew up learning that the only time family members, those you've not seen for a thousand years, come home was only when someone very important died in the family and his or her funeral is fixed by Christmas period or Easter.

My village decided to give time for this burials/funeral. Sometimes it could be from 20th of December to 29th and more than that. Then, other dates could be for Weddings and other ceremonies so that those that came to the village during Christmas to rest would still have time to rest. Although, in Nkporo kind of settings, there is nobody travelling to the Village during Christmas period to rest, you either have one family meeting to attend, or funeral /burial ceremonies , weddings or other things like that that engage you through out this period. You don't go to the village during Christmas period to rest, you go there to exhaust yourself the more. That is how it goes. As a result of this, many don't travel or fix their ceremonies during Christmas period because, it is full of ceremonies, things become more expensive, the roads become too busy and many more things happen during this festive period.

It's a good thing to pay the last respect to the dead, it is good to honour them but if you did not honour them while they were alive, why honour them in death? Why spend much money and time organising how they will be committed to mother earth? Is this not insanity? I have gone to a burial ceremony where a man was buried with a car and chains of gold but when he was alive he never driven any car as such. He never wore any chain of gold on his neck, no, he never did. Some of us are hypocrites!

I have gone to a burial also where the woman was buried with a golden casket. There were up to fifteen canopies all over the place. Seven cows were killed. Her children came from home and abroad to bury her but when this woman was alive and was admitted in the hospital, I could remember that money was the issue for her treatment because her first son visited our family for money, it was lack of money that killed her. It was heartbreaking when I travelled down to the village for her burial to see how things went. Where did this money for this luxurious burial come from?

We are all victims of this, there are those people we never raised a pin for until when they are dead, you'll start looking for how to honour them. You borrow money here and there in the name of paying your last respect! Why don't you love or show them love when they were alive? There are those people out there that we never cared about, we never visited, we never showed mercy but when they are dead, we go extra mile to make sure we honour them or give them a befitting burial, those things they never had when they were alive. Are you not a hypocrite?

Love people and show them that you love them that is the best part of humanity. that us the best part of being a human! Love me when I'm alive not in death.

©John Chizoba Vincent
#LiquidWords.

41 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
We should change some of these cultural practices by speaking against them. If we all join hands to kick against it, this madness will die a natural death. No need giving last respect to someone ready for decay. Take good care of such person when they are alive. The last respect is to take care of his surviving children or wife or legacy left behind

25 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 21, 2018
cc: Fulaman198, bigfrancis21, odumchi
cc: lalasticlala
Do something about this campaign we are in the 21st century.
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by okwabayi(m): 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2018
Na cremation sure pass.
I wonder what will happen to the cremated during rapture, judgement day or whatever Christians believe will occur. Do their bodies form back from nothing?

4 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Abbeyme: 4:39pm On Dec 21, 2018
Let's discuss this after the elections.

The legislators can promulgate a law to deal with that!!
That is if it is popular and is part of what is paining us in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by santislim8(m): 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2018
"People never get the flowers while they can still smell uhm"......Kanye West.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by tstx(m): 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2018
For my village death is more expensive than life

information the west don't want you to see
4 Unethical Medical Experiments That Used Africans As Guinea Pigs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2018
Illusions at its peak!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2018
The thing that annoys me most about nigerian funerals is the crazy drumming and dancing after the burial!! i still prefer the foreign style of funerals, everbody on black, pastor prays,short message preached, the person is buried, flowers are laid to show love and respect to the deceased, highest they share bottle water, well wishers console the family and everyone goes home.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by troubleboi: 4:42pm On Dec 21, 2018
Hmm...

Be smart.. Make money as u browse.. Its free.. Just click on my signature below..
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by ednut1(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
Loud it brother. Even wedding too. U spend so much that the newly wed are in debt and hv nothing to eat

11 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by oyetunder(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
undecided economy shall be the determinant factor along the line...

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Pavore9: 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
Borrowing to have a flamboyant burial is so irrational.

4 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by booblacain(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
That is because we worship the dead here. They tell you "do not speak bad of the dead", but they are ok when you speak bad of the living.

If you are a Christian, you should never honor the dead for Christ said "my God is a God of the living and not of the dead".

The only thing that should out live a person is his/her deeds.

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by obinna58(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
angry

8 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by babyfaceafrica: 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
everyone should do as he/she deem fits

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by GOFRONT(m): 4:44pm On Dec 21, 2018
Rip
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by aikfrank(m): 4:44pm On Dec 21, 2018
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by 12345baba(m): 4:47pm On Dec 21, 2018
One of the reasons I wish I was a northerner

2 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by princenaira(m): 4:47pm On Dec 21, 2018
Even the bible said that the end of a man is greater that the beginning. If money is spent people will talk, if not spent, they will still talk. Uwa nkea self
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by ikorodureporta: 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2018
What about the list they give the family of the deceased? It's even more expensive than wedding list in my area.
A friend of mine lost his dad, because of list na Ikorodu dem bury am

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by jetz(m): 4:51pm On Dec 21, 2018
This op just said ma mind

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by adgjzeal: 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2018
This is real. Register fast ooo my fellow Nigerians. This is our opportunity to be empowered.
https://zeal-power.xyz
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by gistrepublic: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2018
Due to this, some wise people now instruct their family on how they should be buried.

Mazi Mezuo Okoye Nwankwo told his son to have him laid to ground that same day.

See How to keep your lips fresh and prevent lips breakage this Harmattan season

3 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by firstolalekan(m): 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2018
GENERAL OSUS WAY OF LIFE
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by spiralwedge(m): 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2018
Thank you. This is also my belief. Unfortunately, it is the Christians who are guilty of this. Muslims or Buddhists dont. I don't know where we got the idea from.
When i went to Ghana, i realized Nigerians are just learners. Their funeral there take a whole week.

5 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2018
grin
Inheritance, greed and jealousy is part of the reason sha. They feel repairing such house for who’d inherit the house is so much good.

The owner of one of the biggest strip club in lag also did this when his dad died.

If you know you know grin

Enjoy this one by Epicus.

5 Likes

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by TommyAnthem(m): 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2018
I wonder why the church is not preaching against this extravagance, I have never fancied these type of ceremonies but it seems it has come to stay.
Johnchizoba:
QUESTIONING THE ILLUSION OF BURYING THE DEAD IN SOME PART OF NIGERIA

Why do people spend much money during funerals? Why do we honour people more when they are dead than when they were alive? We build houses, we re-paint the old house, we repair the Zinc, we build more rooms and repair the damaged toilet and do some other things where as when this gentle man and woman was alive, you could not afford to give him/her one naira to buy drug to get himself or herself treated. On that day when he/she is dead, you kill the fattest cow, you gather the whole bags of rice in Nigeria, you make the whole village bubble in joy of things to eat and those to drink. What happen to this money when this man or woman was alive? Why don't you collect this loan to treat him/her? Why don't you create an oportunitunity to celebrate him/her? What kind of honour do you want to give him/her in the grave? We are all hypocrites!

I grew up seeing things. Things that made me want to lose myself into the ocean of thought. Things that left me in dire need of someone to talk to. Things that were abnormal when weigh from left to right and back and forth. There are those I think of changing and those I think I would never change and those things I am fighting desperately to change.

I grew up in a city where every year or every December period, people gather their deads to be buried in the village or nearby where they deem it fit for them to be buried. Some were buried in Aba Cemetery while others were taken to the village to be buried.

Then in Aba, everywhere is being covered by funeral posters from October to November. Those who want to bury their dead ones in December and those who wants to bury theirs by Easter start posting the posters around January or February just to create awareness to family members and friends and relations. It is more like the politicians who made a law in the country to avoid people pasting posters on walls of the cities and end up posting their election posters during their campaigns.

I grew up seeing posters everywhere in the cities of Abia state and its environs. I grew up trying to understand why it was like that but no one was there to explain to me. Some of these posters read "Gone so soon" "painful Exist" Transition to glory" "Glorious Home call" and so many write ups. I grew up learning that the only time family members, those you've not seen for a thousand years, come home was only when someone very important died in the family and his or her funeral is fixed by Christmas period or Easter.

My village decided to give time for this burials/funeral. Sometimes it could be from 20th of December to 29th and more than that. Then, other dates could be for Weddings and other ceremonies so that those that came to the village during Christmas to rest would still have time to rest. Although, in Nkporo kind of settings, there is nobody travelling to the Village during Christmas period to rest, you either have one family meeting to attend, or funeral /burial ceremonies , weddings or other things like that that engage you through out this period. You don't go to the village during Christmas period to rest, you go there to exhaust yourself the more. That is how it goes. As a result of this, many don't travel or fix their ceremonies during Christmas period because, it is full of ceremonies, things become more expensive, the roads become too busy and many more things happen during this festive period.

It's a good thing to pay the last respect to the dead, it is good to honour them but if you did not honour them while they were alive, why honour them in death? Why spend much money and time organising how they will be committed to mother earth? Is this not insanity? I have gone to a burial ceremony where a man was buried with a car and chains of gold but when he was alive he never driven any car as such. He never wore any chain of gold on his neck, no, he never did. Some of us are hypocrites!

I have gone to a burial also where the woman was buried with a golden casket. There were up to fifteen canopies all over the place. Seven cows were killed. Her children came from home and abroad to bury her but when this woman was alive and was admitted in the hospital, I could remember that money was the issue for her treatment because her first son visited our family for money, it was lack of money that killed her. It was heartbreaking when I travelled down to the village for her burial to see how things went. Where did this money for this luxurious burial come from?

We are all victims of this, there are those people we never raised a pin for until when they are dead, you'll start looking for how to honour them. You borrow money here and there in the name of paying your last respect! Why don't you love or show them love when they were alive? There are those people out there that we never cared about, we never visited, we never showed mercy but when they are dead, we go extra mile to make sure we honour them or give them a befitting burial, those things they never had when they were alive. Are you not a hypocrite?

Love people and show them that you love them that is the best part of humanity. that us the best part of being a human! Love me when I'm alive not in death.

©John Chizoba Vincent
#LiquidWords.

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by donwhit(m): 5:02pm On Dec 21, 2018
Cremation is the best form of disposing a human body, and it is very safe . When u cremate a body the astral body dissolves with it, which means the soul cannot hover the lower atmosphere of the earth, the soul will move into its etheric body which will make it go to the highest levels of the material universe, if the soul is not yet perfected( if the soul is perfected in love and is absolutely pure in heart and mind it will go to the spiritual realm). Also cremation prevents skull mining and stealing of glory and light drawn into the physical body by the previous occupant.

Cremation reduces pressure on the earth and human beings because some people when they die project evil thoughts into the minds of people and if those people are weak, violence and war may occur.

Cremation prevents waste of valuable land space to be wasted.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Funny Yoruba Food & Drink Names / Ebe Awon Agba Ti Eniyan Mafi Nri Aye Se Ni Irorun Lori Oun Gbogbo Taba Fe See / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.