Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,118 members, 7,811,143 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? (32562 Views)

See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep / Policemen In Trouble, Offer Sacrifice For Arresting Spiritual Drummers In Lagos / Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by dayo229: 9:54am On Oct 16, 2019
My neighbor, a woman was drowned few days ago due to heavy rainfall. Her body was found 3 days later in a near by river across our street.

What surprises me is that when they want bury her, etutu (sacrifice) was performed by osun people (they wore white clothes and in beads). This woman I'm talking about was a Muslim o. She has even gone to Mecca before.

Can anybody here tell me why it is done?

What happens if they don't do the sacrifice and just bury her like that?

Is this peculiar to only Yoruba tribe?

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by eternityk: 9:59am On Oct 16, 2019
dayo229:
My neighbor, a woman was drowned few days ago due to heavy rainfall. Her body was found 3 days later in a near by river across our street.

What surprises me is that when they want bury her, etutu (sacrifice) was performed by osun people (they wore white clothes and in beads). This woman I'm talking about was a Muslim o. She has even gone to Mecca before.

I heard many rumours like that too while in ibadan
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by DennisEche(m): 10:13am On Oct 16, 2019
IT IS COMMON IN MOST PLACES, LIKE IN MY PLACE THEY BURY THEM AT THE RIVER BANK AND THEY DON'T BURY THEM AT HOME

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 16, 2019
DennisEche:
IT IS COMMON IN MOST PLACES, LIKE IN MY PLACE THEY BURY THEM AT THE RIVER BANK AND THEY DON'T BURY THEM AT HOME
are you from Benue state

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by jokinexcel(m): 10:22am On Oct 16, 2019
In most cultures it’s widely believed that when someone drowned in a river he/she is “collected “ by the river goddess, so it’s now a property of the goddess, so if you want to take back the person’s corpse from her you have to appease her and seek her permission otherwise she will get angry and kill more members of that family holding her property until the corpse is exhumed and returned back to her. Be warned this is not my handwriting oooo, I was told by an elder, so don’t attack me. I don’t even believe in the existence of the so called goddess

175 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by EzekaUdenee: 10:09am On Oct 17, 2019
babaric angry

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by chigoziri2403(m): 10:10am On Oct 17, 2019
That means the god of the ocean where titanic sunk must have swallowed a lot of sacrifice

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by sotall(m): 10:10am On Oct 17, 2019
All die na die

Those sacrifice they did amounts to nothing. Just a waste of time and resources.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by hacmond(m): 10:10am On Oct 17, 2019
Na culture n tradition.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by EzekaUdenee: 10:10am On Oct 17, 2019
jokinexcel:
In most cultures it’s widely believed that when someone drowned in a river he/she is “collected “ by the river goddess, so it’s now a property of the goddess, so if you want to take back the person’s corpse from her you have to appease her and seek her permission otherwise she will get angry and kill more members of that family holding her property until the corpse is exhumed and returned back to her. Be warned this is not my handwriting oooo, I was told by an elder, so don’t attack me. I don’t even believe in the existence of the so called goddess
you see why I love Christianity
this is the same babaric religion people are clamoring for us to go back

32 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 17, 2019
EzekaUdenee:
babaric angry

I tell you. We need to do away with all these crude part of our culture. There used to be a time when people who died of small pox were thrown in the evil forest since they were assumed to be killed by the god of small pox (Sopona) but these day, do we even have Evil forest anywhere?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by realestniggah: 10:11am On Oct 17, 2019
Because Nigeria is a superstitious country that why

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by solmusdesigns: 10:11am On Oct 17, 2019
Same as people who died from thunder strike

1 Like

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Mardine(m): 10:11am On Oct 17, 2019
I'm here to read

1 Like

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Kennedychukwu: 10:11am On Oct 17, 2019
���

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by 2019elections: 10:11am On Oct 17, 2019
We don't do that here in New Zealand

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Equity15(m): 10:12am On Oct 17, 2019
Nigeria matter taya me..but that's thier culture sha..so far they didn't harm anybody doing the sacrifice, I'm fine.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Sterope(f): 10:12am On Oct 17, 2019
Her family should have prevented that.

Pagans believe that whatsoever dies by water should be buried by according to the rites goddess of the water. It think it is done to prevent more deaths.

dayo229:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 17, 2019
A man got drowned in a river for my area
Both the man and every of his properties were buried beside the river

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Divay22(f): 10:12am On Oct 17, 2019
Most scary place for one to die
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by Ogbunigwe2018: 10:13am On Oct 17, 2019
Am here To learn

1 Like

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by SultanOfAbia: 10:13am On Oct 17, 2019
Gf
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by sylve11: 10:13am On Oct 17, 2019
EzekaUdenee:

Just like the way other religions see the Christian's Tithe and offering as pure nonsense. Learn to respect other people's tradition. undecided cool

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by oglalasioux(m): 10:13am On Oct 17, 2019
Oma307:

are you from Benue state

Onitsha and Asaba do that too.
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by sotall(m): 10:14am On Oct 17, 2019
EzekaUdenee:

Please don't bring Christianity into this.

Your post will only bring backlashing to Christianity

13 Likes

Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by abumeinben(m): 10:14am On Oct 17, 2019
Osun and you're asking questions.

They worship their river. The river goddess was angry. Nobody comes to her anymore to ask about their people in overseas. They just use phones. So the goddess gave a reminder that she's still there.

They have to beg her not to vex.
Re: Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? by ikechukwu21(m): 10:15am On Oct 17, 2019
I dunt undstd numbar thwenty wan of nhairallannd ruhle grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is There Any Danger In Sleeping With A Widow When Her Hubby Has Not Been Buried? / Atayese Oba Ogunlana Wedding: IFA African Traditional Religion Style (Video) / I Will Continue To Hold Oba Akiolu In High Esteem - Ooni of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.