Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,954 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks (68813 Views)

6 Anambra Billionaires Who Started From Onitsha And Built National Brands / BREAKING!!! Fire Guts Mammy Market In ‘abacha Barracks’ Abuja / Ndubuisi Emenike, Millionaire Disguises As Beggar In A Market In Imo (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Mediahelm: 12:17pm On Dec 21, 2018
Did you know that mammy market was named after a woman called Mammy Ochefu? Yes yes! Every military barrack in Nigeria has a place called ‘mammy market’, a place close to the barracks, where soldiers’ interact and buy their daily needs. In 1955 at Enugu, the market was named

After Mammy Ochefu, the wife of late military Governor of defunct East-Central state, Col. Anthony Aboki Ochefu, where she sold a local non-alcoholic beverage called enyi to support her family.

Her husband initially declined as soldiers’ wives were known to be housewives. He later accepted for her to continue the business when she told him it was to support him and the family.

After taking a week break at home due to complaints from people that the drink attracted flies, pressure from her clients inspired a Lieutenant Colonel to build her a kiosk to make it more conducive. Her family was later posted out of Enugu to Abeokuta but Mammy continued

The business wherever they were
posted to while she added snacks that would interest the soldiers’. Interestingly, whenever her family was transferred to another state, she would hand over the business to women who were interested in it but asked that they retain the name.

Mammy registered her business as “Mammy Market” in 1971. By the time her husband retired, the business had grown into a supermarket and a transport business.

When her husband rose to become a military governor, Mammy was still going about her business. She joined him few months later due to pressure from people, leaving the business in the hands of four people.

The idea of Mammy market, which was started by Mammy Ochenfu in Enugu Army Barrack with one shilling in 1955, continues to grow with the country and whenever a barrack is built, a mammy market is built together with it. Through this initiative, Mammy Ochefu helped millions of

Nigerian women across the countries to be business owners. We celebrate this beautiful strong woman who defied all odds to create jobs for millions of women today.
Written by: TFCSpeaks on Twitter

Source: https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/12/meet-mammy-ochefu-woman-who-started.html

125 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by nestic(m): 12:19pm On Dec 21, 2018
Are you kidding me!!
I can't help but to smile at this wonderful and brave woman..
the bitter truth is we dont celebrate good people in this country, awon 'small girls with big god' hope ya'll will see this post..
and to any MOD That will not want this post to reach FTP, so that this woman will be recognised, i swear for you!!

355 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by nestic(m): 12:30pm On Dec 21, 2018
Myd44, lalasticlala, seun
ehen you have done the needful, she deserves all the recognision, and to all mothers out there GOD Bless your hustle

9 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by ojun50(m): 12:32pm On Dec 21, 2018
Who started d Mammy market in camp na

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 21, 2018
Now this is inspiring! Not all these expiring lazy things hawking their "commodities" out there known as "Slay Queens"

This is the real QUEEN who's name is indelible in the history of this country.
Kudos ma'am Mammy!

139 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Racoon(m): 2:51pm On Dec 21, 2018
I read about Mrs.Ochefu while my dad served then @ the 82 Div.Cantoment Barracks Abakpa.The story was really inspiring.

The Idoma woman simply came during her husband's first stinct to Enugu as a non-commission officer (NCO) & then later again as a commissioned military governor of the old Eastern State to adopt the Igbo man's business idea of always being enterprising."Never despise the days of little beginning."

101 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by thesicilian: 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2018
She would have turned that idea of Mammy Market into a global business conglomerate like Walmart.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by sojayy(m): 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2018
grin

5 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by wiseone28: 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2018
Did she start by selling things double the price?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Johnson5258: 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2018
Na why Mammy spirit dey follow people upadan for NYSC camp.

Mummy ese ma.

5 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Riversides2003(m): 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2018
I heard she used to me a Mammy water.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by izzy4shizzy(m): 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2018
Fhdjdg
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by nams77: 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2018
My own admiration is how a small business could grow and spin off a supermarket and transport company and ultimately becoming a nation-wide phenomenon.
" Do not despise the days of little beginning"

34 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by FILEBE(m): 2:55pm On Dec 21, 2018
I hope all these ladies will learn. Your beauty doesn't last forever . Look at this woman in her youth and look at her now? Though she looks very motherly and loving now but not as beautiful as she was before. Beauty will fade. You are adding extra burden to yourself with that plastics surgery and body deformation. Some ladies have bleached their first skin layer. Damn! Lord knows I like my ladies dark because I can tell they are not bleaching. Difficult to tell if a lady bleaches nowadays.
Only the wise will reason well with me on this

43 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by softclicktech(m): 2:55pm On Dec 21, 2018
N
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by ChisomDgreatest(m): 2:56pm On Dec 21, 2018
that's an Igbo woman for you!
we rise by lifting others

9 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 21, 2018
shocked

BTW, I thought "Mammy" is a coined word of the military.

Ndi Nne MAMMY, iso kwa!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:56pm On Dec 21, 2018
Nice meeting you strong woman

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by christejames(m): 2:56pm On Dec 21, 2018
The real slay Queen! Mama keep slaying to the betterment of Nigeria...

Before opening the tread, I knew it must be an Idoma woman. Idoma and military cum paramilitary is like bread and butter.

4 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 21, 2018
Great woman!

God bless all hard working women out there, minus olosho women.

17 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by marvin906(m): 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
this is a real woman..
not the one's we have today that believe with their pvssy they can achieve anything

1 Like

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by engrkaz(m): 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
Correct woman

1 Like

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
So Mammy Markets in military barracks is an inspiration from the East?

What if I say Igbo Amaka?

11 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by firstolalekan(m): 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
my regular abode during camp ....

mama dee mama grin
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by haryorbarmie83(m): 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
Real mama
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by omhor(f): 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2018
Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! I can't help but smile.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Reelmii: 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2018
highly inspired. .
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2018
Haa

Inukwa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Richest Person In Nigeria / Lady Found Old Naira Notes In Her Dead Grandmum's Room (Photo) / Dangote Buys 800 Trucks From Anammco Assembly Plant In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.