Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,339 members, 7,829,862 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? (1919 Views)

Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? / Married To Mum Of 2 But The Babies Dad Choose To Neglect Responsibilities. / Why Your Diasporan Friends And Family Do Not Send You Money When You Ask. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by BlazersandBaby: 3:13am On Dec 22, 2018
Mothers that have 9 to 5 jobs, how do you manage to do your work and still meet family responsibilities? Especially in Lagos with all the traffic? Please let's encourage and help each other.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:17am On Dec 22, 2018
HUGE RESPECT TO ALL MOTHERS WHO WORK SO HARD TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR CHILDREN.

It isn't easy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by KBARBIE(f): 10:09am On Dec 22, 2018
God's grace I will say.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:09pm On Dec 22, 2018
BlazersandBaby:
Mothers that have 9 to 5 jobs, how do you manage to do your work and still meet family responsibilities? Especially in Lagos with all the traffic? Please let's encourage and help each other.

One question I keep asking myself everyday! The thought of getting married and settling in Lagos is scary!

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:11pm On Dec 22, 2018
KBARBIE:
God's grace I will say.

No, please. Kindly share the routine with us. How many kids do you have? How old are they? Do you have a nanny or live-in relative who helps? At what time do you wake up?
Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by AngelJennifer: 10:22pm On Dec 22, 2018
I am interested in this gist since I am working towards being a chartered accountant. Contemplating on how to cope when I get married.
Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by JoannaSedley(f): 2:23am On Dec 23, 2018
Make sure you have somebody, a live in nanny or relative or you die before your time. The stress is too much.

3 Likes

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by enque(f): 5:51am On Dec 23, 2018
Let me add my 2kobo

been married for 3yrs+, n I have a 2yr old who is quite hyperactive. Been working an 8-5pm since like forever grin
I wake up at 4-4.30am everyday to prep for work n I wake her up at 6am to prep her for school (she is in preschool). We leave home at 6.30am and we drive straight to my office, which thankfully is a 20-30mins drive.
At the office We have breakfast, play and video-call daddy (my husband was recently transferred out of lagos, but come home from time t time).
At 7.45am, I go drop her off at school (her school is 5mins from my office). School closes at 1.30pm but she does after-school till I close 5pm, n then I pick her up at 5.30pm ish.

How do i deal wt chores..... Honestly when my husband was still working in lagos, it was much easier as we split chores but since the transfer, i hav had t take it 1 step at a time.
I have a lady who comes to clean the house every month for a fee.
I use the washing machine to wash
I do bulk cooking at the beginning of the month and freeze, n I also do bulk buying of foodstuffs. That way I don't always have t go t market every weekend.
All other basic chores, I do myself.

Working n running the home in lagos requires a lot of planning really. U cant do it on ur own abeg, forget superwoman o smiley
My parents live close to me (30mins drive from my house), so my mum helps out a lot in terms of market runs... When I nee her help, I send my list n cash to her, she buys n then I pick up on Saturdays.

We plan to have another child soon, so I'll be getting a live-in help by 1st quarter 2019. At this point, i realise that my present routine can't work for 2 kids so i really need the assistance at home.

This is just a summary sha... smiley

6 Likes

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by zicoraads: 9:02am On Dec 23, 2018
PrimadonnaO:

No, please. Kindly share the routine with us. How many kids do you have? How old are they? Do you have a nanny or live-in relative who helps? At what time do you wake up?
My sister works those hours. She has three kids. There's this lady from our village, another young one, and sometimes the nanny comes in as well. A lot of times you don't see them out of their room until when she and her husband are all dressed up for work. By that time, the kids are already dressed, eaten and packed for school. The two girls and the nanny takes care of the kids very well.

I love it because the kids have their own room, and it gives she and her husband time to actually have fun and 'live'.

I'll actually encourage my wife to also do same. Working is so that life will be made easy for both of us. I cannot have my wife get old and worn out before her age.

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:30am On Dec 23, 2018
zicoraads:

My sister works those hours. She has three kids. There's this lady from our village, another young one, and sometimes the nanny comes in as well. A lot of times you don't see them out of their room until when she and her husband are all dressed up for work. By that time, the kids are already dressed, eaten and packed for school. The two girls and the nanny takes care of the kids very well.

I love it because the kids have their own room, and it gives she and her husband time to actually have fun and 'live'.

I'll actually encourage my wife to also do same. Working is so that life will be made easy for both of us. I cannot have my wife get old and worn out before her age.

So you agree it's pretty difficult for a working class wife and mother without help, yeah?

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by nwanyiugbo122(f): 9:31am On Dec 23, 2018
is not always easy especially when you have no house help. I work as a teacher in a private school in Abuja. I got two kids,one is 3 the other is 1yr plus. I do wake up by 5am,cause there is no hold up,bath my kids set them for school and prepare their meal, am always tru before 7 am,my work from my house is just 10 min drive,and my work resumes 7 30,when I drop them to their school, I head to my own,close by 4pm,pick them on my way going,come back home,tidy the house,prepare for the next day. that's how we roll. very tough.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by zicoraads: 9:50am On Dec 23, 2018
PrimadonnaO:

So you agree it's pretty difficult for a working class wife and mother without help, yeah?
Of course it's almost impossible. I know how tired I get after getting home from work. Put yourself in their shoes and you'll know.

I'll really want mine to get as much as two, or even three. It makes life easier for the both of you.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by PrimadonnaO(f): 11:35am On Dec 23, 2018
zicoraads:

Of course it's almost impossible. I know how tired I get after getting home from work. Put yourself in their shoes and you'll know.

I'll really want mine to get as much as two, or even three. It makes life easier for the both of you.

Come, let's marry. cheesy
Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by Alennsar(f): 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2018
nwanyiugbo122:
is not always easy especially when you have no house help. I work as a teacher in a private school in Abuja. I got two kids,one is 3 the other is 1yr plus. I do wake up by 5am,cause there is no hold up,bath my kids set them for school and prepare their meal, am always tru before 7 am,my work from my house is just 10 min drive,and my work resumes 7 30,when I drop them to their school, I head to my own,close by 4pm,pick them on my way going,come back home,tidy the house,prepare for the next day. that's how we roll. very tough.

I think we are in this together. the only difference is that my kids are age 5 and 3 respectively but still the stress is out of this world. hian most times I do wake by 4:30 just to meet up.

someone even said it's because I just started then, but it's been a year now and there's no much difference. well the house cleaning et all is bit by bit because I don't have any house help, it's just me and my family. may Allah continues to strengthen us all. Aameen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by oyoolima: 12:20pm On Dec 23, 2018
Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by nwanyiugbo122(f): 2:15pm On Dec 23, 2018
Alennsar:

I think we are in this together. the only difference is that my kids are age 5 and 3 respectively but still the stress is out of this world. hian most times I do wake by 4:30 just to meet up.

someone even said it's because I just started then, but it's been a year now and there's no much difference. well the house cleaning et all is bit by bit because I don't have any house help, it's just me and my family. may Allah continues to strengthen us all. Aameen
honestly God will help us, they told me so,that we will get used to it as time goes on,but nothing has changed. kai, sometimes I will just be crying.
Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by KBARBIE(f): 6:48pm On Dec 23, 2018
PrimadonnaO:

I work on the island, lekki to be precise. I wake up 3.30am or 4am everyday, to prepare the kids for school (I've got 4 yrs and 2 yrs kids ) and put them to bed again and their dad helps in dropping them at school, I make their breakfast and lunch before leaving cos I must be at the bus stop latest 5.30am.

I av a nanny that picks them up from school and stays with them till my hubby gets back around 8.30am thereabout , then my hubby helps with the kids till I get back around 10, 11pm or past 9 when there is less traffic. I come back to do the chores of the day and sleep around 12am.

Really, its not so easy as it's been written mostly when the nanny left.

4 Likes

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by Alennsar(f): 7:30pm On Dec 23, 2018
nwanyiugbo122:
honestly God will help us, they told me so,that we will get used to it as time goes on,but nothing has changed. kai, sometimes I will just be crying.

Aameen ooo. it is well
Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by frozen70(f): 7:56pm On Dec 23, 2018
It's a task that comes with somany challenges

As a working class or career woman, you have to put both work and family into consideration

None must suffer for the other

If you have a supportive husband he on his own can choose among the chores what he will be doing to ease tension on the woman

But if you have the type of an African man that will not stoop to assist you, that will be very bad

Before you know it, she starts having mood swing, nothing interests her again
She will now focus more on the children and less on the husband

Even her sex urge will decline.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by Zeinymira(f): 8:03pm On Dec 23, 2018
I'm not married but I guess I will be soon (or not). Adding a family to my already stressful world is scary but I believe with God and a supportive husband I will be fine.
Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by ImaIma1(f): 9:29am On Dec 24, 2018
It isn't easy without help. Thankfully I didn't marry one of those egoistic men who think house chores and taking care of kids is for women. I get a lot of support from him.

Creche is beside my office and I don't work too far from home for now. There is always a way if there is a will.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by Acidosis(m): 10:32am On Dec 24, 2018
KBARBIE:

I work on the island, lekki to be precise. I wake up 3.30am or 4am everyday, to prepare the kids for school (I've got 4 yrs and 2 yrs kids ) and put them to bed again and their dad helps in dropping them at school, I make their breakfast and lunch before leaving cos I must be at the bus stop latest 5.30am.

I av a nanny that picks them up from school and stays with them till my hubby gets back around 8.30am thereabout , then my hubby helps with the kids till I get back around 10, 11pm or past 9 when there is less traffic. I come back to do the chores of the day and sleep around 12am.

This is just too much. Why don't you relocate or change job/resign?
Re: Mothers Who Work: How Do You Balance Your Work And Family Responsibilities? by PrimadonnaO(f): 11:23am On Dec 24, 2018
KBARBIE:

Wow. Sleep 12 midnight, up by 4am. There's barely time to spend with the family except for weekends

I know what I go through living and working as a single lady in this Lagos, and it's not funny. The craziest part was when I worked at VI. And I have just myself to worry about.

I really don't think I'll marry and settle down in Lagos. Family time is very important to me. I want ti actively take part in knowing and raising my kids. And I've never fancied the idea of an outsider/nanny living.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Decent Woman / How 'You Did Not Insist' Cost My Friend His Relationship. / How My Mother’s Advice Made Me Rich

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.