Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,200 members, 7,839,089 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

How To Do A Total Name Change - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Do A Total Name Change (16806 Views)

Man Seeks For Divorce Over Facebook Name Change Wahala / Name Change Issue. Please Advise. / Help Her Make Decision On Name Change. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by OneKinGuy(m): 9:19pm On Dec 22, 2018
Just leave the name like that. Changing it will be a very silly thing to do considering the fact thst u have gotten some certification like waec. These things will definetly hunt u in the future. Just tell people the nickname u would like to be addressed with.

3 Likes

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by drips8(m): 9:20pm On Dec 22, 2018
I've also got a similar problem, I plan on using my yoruba names for next year's jamb exams but my Arabic names are on my birth and o'level certificates.

Will this affect me in anyway?

2 Likes

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by narrowpathy(m): 9:20pm On Dec 22, 2018
Ikpangi:
Bari Bari
Lol. I no be barrister oh. I'm just informed about the process.
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by darkhorizon: 9:25pm On Dec 22, 2018
jydeskill1:
Are you changing ur Surname, First and middle name all together?

Yes sir
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 22, 2018
aaaaabbbbbccccc:
please how can I delete this guy's comment? He wrote D

Get a life.

@OP: an affidavit and newspaper publication will be alright
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by Ijarot1m1(m): 9:28pm On Dec 22, 2018
I will advise u go to court for legal back up cos since it appear on your certificates u really need legal back up
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by darkhorizon: 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2018
OneKinGuy:
Just leave the name like that. Changing it will be a very silly thing to do considering the fact thst u have gotten some certification like waec. These things will definetly hunt u in the future. Just tell people the nickname u would like to be addressed with.

That's my main fear.
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by aaaaabbbbbccccc: 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2018
Lucid1:

Get a life.

@OP: an affidavit and newspaper publication will be alright
I'm young and rich bro.. 2 successful legit business, 6 figures every 22 days .. what more do I need? I'm so young, not planning to marry yet. I'm on nairaland to have fun smiley
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2018
Valdblngx:

That's the difference between Nairaland and Quora bro. One is filled with boneheads and few intellectuals while the latter is an haven for giants in all fields to share their knowledge
man you can't compare quora and nairaland na. Quora and Reddit are comparable not fvcking nairaland.

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by MycroftHolmes: 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2018
narrowpathy:
Very simple. Go to a court and tell them you want to do a change of name. They will give you forms to fill then you'll pay around 1k or 2k.
You can after that if you so desire, go to a newspaper and announce your name change stating that all other documents bearing your former name remains valid. I hope this helps

Modified:
Remember to go with some form of ID when you're going to the court to do the name change.

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by albaniy1: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2018
orion7:
go to your ethnic shrine and swear affidavid.
Chai 9ja and sevage replies.... grin grin
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by albaniy1: 9:51pm On Dec 22, 2018
Valdblngx:

That's the difference between Nairaland and Quora bro. One is filled with boneheads and few intellectuals while the latter is an haven for giants in all fields to share their knowledge

How do I get to it pls
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by ibrahim55(m): 9:56pm On Dec 22, 2018
Runge:
I want to learn too. I have two muslims names too. I am thinking of using purely Yoruba names that make more sense to me. I am no longer a Muslim too.
subhanallah, I prefer to loose my name and everything else but I will never want to loose being a Muslim I will never ever want to loose LailahailaAllah
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by okekekelechib(m): 10:01pm On Dec 22, 2018
1. get a regulatory id with d new names.
2. do a newspaper publication with d correct order of d names u want as it is on ur id card.
3. swear a detailed affidavit stating d reason for d change of name or a letter from d notary public.
4. then proceed to bank to get ur bvn name changed and after that go to ministry of education or ur school to submit such documents for reference purposes and get a receipt for that since it's total name change unless ur certs have ur new names.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by omartins(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2018
Go to court for affidavit then publish in newspaper(not all paper will accept it because you're changing all your name, I'm sure of Punch and New Telegraph will reject it, it's their policy. Some newspaper will ask you for police report, to be sure you haven't commit crime with former name).
You can still retain a name to be easier, may be your surname. There are lot of Pastor Sani, Evangelist Lateef, etc.
If you need more explanation or help in publishing chat me up on 08180394944(Whatsaap).

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by Joekaynews(m): 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2018
darkhorizon:
[url][/url]Hello all I want to change my name completely, I mean my surname, first name and middle name.

I have two reasons for this, firstly I don't really like the meaning of the names. Secondly, they are all Muslim names and I am no longer a Muslim. I want to change them to my ethnic names (still given to me by my parents).

What legal consequences is there if I change the name, because I am a graduate presently serving and I already have my certificate with the name I want to change.

First, go to court to sworn affidavit. There after, go to any Newspaper for change of name publication. Like someone said above, the charges varies from Newspaper to Newspaper but it's easy as that. Do not bother to bring lawyer to the scene so you will not spend unnecessarily. Court Affidavit here in Benin City is not more than 1k.

Meanwhile, if you want me to handle the newspaper publication, mail me or call me on 07016163925, I will tell you what is needed for me to publish it. After payment, the next day you pick Leadership Newspaper anywhere you are. Inasmuch as the payment is done in the morning, I can assure you of the next day the name will be out. Hope this help?

Lawyers and experienced folks in the house, please I need your advice.
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by OKEMKPI: 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2018
Runge:
I want to learn too. I have two muslims names too. I am thinking of using purely Yoruba names that make more sense to me. I am no longer a Muslim too.
why is everybody dumping Islam at such a high rate?

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by WonderManly(m): 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2018
aaaaabbbbbccccc:
please how can I delete this guy's comment? He wrote D
Please ooOoo, how can i also delete this comment aswell? He also wrote D.

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by WonderManly(m): 10:24pm On Dec 22, 2018
darkhorizon:
[url][/url]Hello all I want to change my name completely, I mean my surname, first name and middle name.

I have two reasons for this, firstly I don't really like the meaning of the names. Secondly, they are all Muslim names and I am no longer a Muslim. I want to change them to my ethnic names (still given to me by my parents).

What legal consequences is there if I change the name, because I am a graduate presently serving and I already have my certificate with the name I want to change.

Conserning the main question. Please wait let me consult my oracle first...

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by NoToPile: 10:25pm On Dec 22, 2018
@darkhorizon you would have to go all the way, down to changing bvn, nimc ,international passport,driving license etc etc

Firstly I sought the advice of a lawyer,he said no issue with changing 2 names as long is not you are changing for criminal reasons, you just present your affidavit when presenting the docs you have in your former name.

When I was ready, another lawyer friend gave me a format to type, I took the typed affidavit and went to the commisioner of oaths office at IKeja high court, dont patronize those touts ooo. Its about 500naira to get it stamped. The lawyer services were free.

Next Newspaper publication, I got the services of someone on NL, sent my marriage cert and affidavit(because I was changing both surname and firstname) via watsap and voila the publication was out on guardian. Keep the newspaper its a document.

After that changed NIMC national ID,( I needed it to process BVN change it became a valid ID around that time I didnt have a passport had an expired old Driving license and NIMC was the cheapest option) the newspaper publication, Affidavit from a High court and marriage cert (I am female) and 500 remitta payment per name to be changed Paid and waited. Got ready in about 2 months they said waiting time is now longer.

After it got ready I proceeded to the bank with all the docs for bvn/acc details change. Some of those bank peeps may want to say you cant just change your first name any how blabla bla undecided I didnt even bother to say anything I just gave him the affidavit and gave him the 'are you saying this is not valid' look.
It takes time with banks like gtb embarassed I had to do it twice, first one they processed only that of my account not the BVN own and you wont know since you really cant check your bvn details at home or something. Applied again with enough ranting and in 3 weeks my bvn changed. Then you go to all the banks you have accounts for upgrade.

If you have a passport I heard changing that one is costly to change.

The whole process took around 8months
Almost everything is stressfull in naija

You need lots of patience it was very stressful angry the BVN part is the most annoying.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by darkhorizon: 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2018
NoToPile:
@darkhorizon you would have to go all the way, down to changing bvn, nimc ,international passport,driving license etc etc

Firstly I sought the advice of a lawyer,he said no issue with changing 2 names as long is not you are changing for criminal reasons, you just present your affidavit when presenting the docs you have in your former name.

When I was ready, another lawyer friend gave me a format to type, I took the typed affidavit and went to the commisioner of oaths office at IKeja high court, dont patronize those touts ooo. Its about 500naira to get it stamped. The lawyer services were free.

Next Newspaper publication, I got the services of someone on NL, sent my marriage cert and affidavit(because I was changing both surname and firstname) via watsap and voila the publication was out on guardian. Keep the newspaper its a document.

After that changed NIMC national ID,( I needed it to process BVN change it became a valid ID around that time I didnt have a passport had an expired old Driving license and NIMC was the cheapest option) the newspaper publication, Affidavit from a High court and marriage cert (I am female) and 500 remitta payment per name to be changed Paid and waited. Got ready in about 2 months they said waiting time is now longer.

After it got ready I proceeded to the bank with all the docs for bvn/acc details change. Some of those bank peeps may want to say you cant just change your first name any how blabla bla undecided I didnt even bother to say anything I just gave him the affidavit and gave him the 'are you saying this is not valid' look.
It takes time with banks like gtb embarassed I had to do it twice, first one they processed only that of my account not the BVN own and you wont know since you really cant check your bvn details at home or something. Applied again with enough ranting and in 3 weeks my bvn changed. Then you go to all the banks you have accounts for upgrade.

You need lots of patience it was very stressful angry the BVN part is the most annoying.

This was totally helpful.

2 Likes

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by brojoshua: 11:58pm On Dec 22, 2018
As for me I didn't the court affidavit and news paper advertisement already, what is left for me is to change the names in my national passport. Please how do I go about doing that? Thanks
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by MCSK: 12:00am On Dec 23, 2018
Sage cool cool

4ckTOTO:
important things like this no one will comment. if na toto and preeq or how mercy aigbe use yansh push pillar or how buhari is making you not able to see toto to put preek, or how buhari is making your toto lack good oreek to put inside, una go come rant like say them dey give trophy
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by chloride6: 12:59am On Dec 23, 2018
Don't change all your names OP...

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by lonelydora: 1:04am On Dec 23, 2018
darkhorizon:

Go to court and swear an affidavit saying that your NEW and OLD names refer to same person, then go to newspaper and give them a copy of your affidavit. They will tell you when they will publish it, make sure you buy the newspaper of that day. That's your prove.

From experience, Use Guardian newspaper, it's generally accepted as authentic
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by olaoluyincah(m): 1:16am On Dec 23, 2018
darkhorizon:

if you already have a BVN in that name and wishes to change it as well as your bank account name too. You will need a sworn affidavit stating reasons for the name change and also a newspaper publication together with a Valid regulatory means of identification in the new name (either a National Id (NIMC slip is ok), PVC (temporary can be used too if verifiable on the confirmation portal) International Passport or a Driver's license.

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by Ridwan440(m): 2:36am On Dec 23, 2018
I think it will be very difficult to change three names , that is change of identity , if it is two names it is still possible and assuming you are a female now it will be easy because you can use marriage as the reason.

Bro I will advice you not to change the three names because most bank will have issue change the three names on BVN and account .

Also most firm will be careful in dealing with you because they may not find the excuse genuine enough as it look like identity theft

I think you should leave your surname and change only your other names .
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by Ridwan440(m): 2:42am On Dec 23, 2018
NoToPile:

Ma'am, His case is a bit different, His is total change of identity/names. Even if he enrol for NIMC it will not come out because the platform has now been linked to BNV, and they will ask for his BVN at the point of enrollment and name on BNV must be same as the name on the NIMC card. May be he can go for drivers license.
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by Glink2018(m): 2:59am On Dec 23, 2018
ThatKING:
Am glad to see this. I also started leaving out my Christian name (subconsciously ) which was my middle name right from primary school. Even though I was questioned then by my parent. Am glad my certificates bares just two names.
Proud to be an African with no ties to religion

...but tied and hooked to ethnic group.....
Different of the same thing
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by danla44(m): 4:40am On Dec 23, 2018
Sorry for your life.
Re: How To Do A Total Name Change by Dreal1247: 4:53am On Dec 23, 2018
darkhorizon:

You have to swearvan affidavit for name change through a court. Then take it to one of the national newspapers' office. Pay for the newspaper publication. They shall inform you on the publication day. Make sure you buy many of the day's newspaper when it comes out. You have to be using the very page to accompany your documents when applying for jobs especially with the government. Also for internationally job applications or visa issues require the original newspaper page. In some places anyway, they accept photocopies, but not government. So you may need more than ten copies, depending on your plans.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? / Why Are Women Outliving Men? / How Not To Train Your Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.