Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,955 members, 7,821,355 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! (1325 Views)

Offences That Will Kick You Out Of NYSC / Jang Calls For Extension Of NYSC Service To Two Years / Mark Seeks Extension Of Youth Service To Two Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by wales(m): 5:43am On Aug 06, 2010
Senate President David Mark has called for the extension of the National Youth Service from one year to two years.

Mark spoke at the Dinner/Award Night organised by the National Defence College for its graduating course participants on Wednesday in Abuja, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

The scheme, established in 1973, is to inculcate in Nigerian youths the spirit of selfless service to the community, as well as to emphasise the spirit of oneness and brotherhood of all Nigerians, irrespective of cultural and social background,

“NYSC at the moment is a one year programme where we train all our graduates and give them two to three weeks drill; and that is all they do.

“I suggest very strongly, that the NYSC should be expanded to two years where the first one year is devoted entirely to military training.”

“The lack of national discipline in this country is because people have not been drilled in any form when they go to various universities,” he said.

He attributed the numerous problems bedevilling the country to indiscipline exhibited in the public and private lives.

Mark also called for the upgrading of the National Defence College to a university.

He said, “If you look at the subjects which you offer and the experience you bring in, we actually desire to upgrade NDC,” he said.

NAN reports that some distinguished members of staff of the college and participants received awards on the occasion.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201008062382187

Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by wales(m): 5:45am On Aug 06, 2010
David Mark, my grandfather and father did not do NYSC and they were one of the most disciplined souls in that ever lived. Mark’s thinking is very very shallow. The lack of discipline has so many facets that CANNOT be solved by NYSC. In fact abolishing NYSC might be a better option, it has not achieved its purpose after 37 years and truth be told, it cannot!
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by Odunnu: 6:10am On Aug 06, 2010
with due respect Senator,I thnk u are a fool.Nw get down frm dat podium,and sit down.
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 06, 2010
David Mark must be smoking some highly potent weed. What is the correlation between the length of the National service and general indiscipline in Nigeria?

He was a soldier and now a politician, the two most devastating class of Nigerians.
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by wales(m): 7:35am On Aug 06, 2010
Did I just read Mark's comments of training Nigerain graduates on discipline, national interest, values & inculcation of patriotism, ideals of nationhood/development? Which of these values does Mark himself possess? Isn't it a known fact that Mark and his fellow thieves in government are busy collecting over N45,000,000.00 quarterly when an average Nigerian family can not even boast of a decent two square meal a day? The dooms day await all those that have plunged Nigeria to her present messy state.
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by gozzynes(m): 7:45am On Aug 06, 2010
Good composition but be very careful not to wish any body Bad, Only God has the answer for the problem facing Nigerian Graduates. Thanks
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by rethink: 8:01am On Aug 06, 2010
@wales

David Mark, my grandfather and father did not do NYSC and they were one of the most disciplined souls in that ever lived. Mark’s thinking is very very shallow. The lack of discipline has so many facets that CANNOT be solved by NYSC. In fact abolishing NYSC might be a better option, it has not achieved its purpose after 37 years and truth be told, it cannot!

Typical of the children of the parasitic Elites. Ask for just a little service they Go back into History,

Go and look at some of the post on Nairaland the same "YOUR GRANDFATHERS AND FATHERS" people are callling that they should be killed. some even Conclude unless blood of the old men be spilled Nigeria would not be free.

The type of Discipline you get in military training has very little Morality. Mark was not talking about Moral discipline.

I propose that it should be 2 years and one should be served before you get into the university the both years should be military training on a military base.
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by wales(m): 9:36am On Aug 06, 2010
On your "Marks", set, Go!! here we go again with the mad leaders we have in this country. Imagine this sort of nonsense! Thats their excuse to proplong the misery of Nigerian graduates for another year, he did not call for increase of their salaries, neither is he worried about the unemployement they would face even after 2 years service, Anyway what should we expect from a khaki guy who turned politician, imagine suggesting that additional one year for military training. Mark you are completely lost at sea!!
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by dustydee: 10:10am On Aug 06, 2010
Rubbish talk
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by biggy4joe(m): 10:53am On Aug 06, 2010
That guy is a fool, i dont blame him sha, i blame the Nigerian youth that has kept quite for a long time.How can a senator that was sent 2 represent us earn 1.7million dollars and the only thing that can come out of the fools mouth is this trash he is proposing,

Men its official!!!! Nigerian youths should stand up and do what they have 2 do before it is too late.
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by otokx(m): 1:08pm On Aug 06, 2010
Mark, why oh why?
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by Nuriel22: 1:34pm On Aug 06, 2010
Re: Mark Calls For Extension Of NYSC! by BankoleO1: 2:51pm On Aug 06, 2010
Thank GOD!!!! I am passing out in October, I just pity the next set of corpers LOL!!! But honestly its uncalled for I see no reason why they should extend to 2years. 1yr military for drilling chai grin grin grin grin grin Wahala dey LOL!!!!

(1) (Reply)

A Thread For Corpers Posted To Adamawa / Refugee Camps Are Better Than Some Of Our NYSC Orientation Camps / Nysc Member Brutally Attacked And Wounded In Plateau State. (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.