Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? (3441 Views)

A City Inside A City In Abuja, Nigeria / Owerri. The Magnificence Of A City In the East. / ₦467.4Billion, A City On The Ocean, World's Largest Cruise Ship(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by TMKsouth: 4:37pm On Dec 25, 2018
NairaLanders please note this article is from 2009.

FULL REPORT (What Makes a City World-Class?)
https://www.forbes.com/2009/09/02/new-york-paris-mumbai-rome-berlin-opinions-21-century-cities-09-world-class-cities.html

FORBES MAGAZINE (2009)

Let’s be honest: There are some cities in the world that are worse–much worse–than others, cities from which a multitude would flee if offered half a chance to relocate elsewhere. Lagos comes to mind, as do Karachi, Lima, Nairobi, Cairo, Caracas, Dhaka, Jakarta, Manila … these are utterly charmless cities (such charm as there once was in a few of them has been murdered by noise, traffic, a teeming population, dirt and crime); these are edgy, aggressive and inhospitable cities, cities in which contempt for the resident is everywhere apparent, cities with few parks and sidewalks, and with scarcely any of the amenities that comprise the core of urban civilization.

So what, by contrast, makes up a city that people would opt to live in, to travel to, to long for? What makes a city, in effect, the Anti-Lagos or the Un-Caracas or the Not-Manila? What makes a city world-class, cosmopolitan and alluring? What makes a city, in sum, truly civilized? In pursuit of answers, I talked to a dozen urban and urbane people (accomplished city-dwellers all), who each gave me a personal reckoning–sometimes idiosyncratic–of what a city of this caliber must have. Their responses follow.

(Details on points below can be found on link at top of this page)

1. Beauty at Night
2. Good public Toilets
3. Filthy-Rich People
4. A Great Train Station
5. Bars with Great Bartenders
6. Great Universities
7. Arresting Architecture
8. Diversity
9. An Encyclopedic Museum
10. Two Airports (one International, one Regional).

10 Years later (2018): Has your city reached "World-Class" status?

Picture below: Lagos at Night

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 7:27pm On Dec 25, 2018
TMKsouth:
NairaLanders please note this article is from 2009.

FULL REPORT (What Makes a City World-Class?)
https://www.forbes.com/2009/09/02/new-york-paris-mumbai-rome-berlin-opinions-21-century-cities-09-world-class-cities.html

FORBES MAGAZINE (2009)

Let’s be honest: There are some cities in the world that are worse–much worse–than others, cities from which a multitude would flee if offered half a chance to relocate elsewhere. Lagos comes to mind, as do Karachi, Lima, Nairobi, Cairo, Caracas, Dhaka, Jakarta, Manila … these are utterly charmless cities (such charm as there once was in a few of them has been murdered by noise, traffic, a teeming population, dirt and crime); these are edgy, aggressive and inhospitable cities, cities in which contempt for the resident is everywhere apparent, cities with few parks and sidewalks, and with scarcely any of the amenities that comprise the core of urban civilization.

So what, by contrast, makes up a city that people would opt to live in, to travel to, to long for? What makes a city, in effect, the Anti-Lagos or the Un-Caracas or the Not-Manila? What makes a city world-class, cosmopolitan and alluring? What makes a city, in sum, truly civilized? In pursuit of answers, I talked to a dozen urban and urbane people (accomplished city-dwellers all), who each gave me a personal reckoning–sometimes idiosyncratic–of what a city of this caliber must have. Their responses follow.

(Details on points below can be found on link at top of this page)

[b]1. Beauty at Night
2. Good public Toilets
3. Filthy-Rich People
4. A Great Train Station
6. Great Universities
7. Arresting Architecture[/b]
8. Diversity
10. Two Airports (one International, one Regional).

DOES YOUR CITY CUT IT / MAKE IT ON THE LIST?

Picture below: Lagos at Night

We do have all these in Lagos. Trust me.

Unfortunately, you are comparing Lagos of 10 year ago with now. Smh
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 7:17am On Dec 26, 2018
forgiveness:

We do have all these in Lagos. Trust me.

Unfortunately, you are comparing Lagos of 10 year ago with now. Smh
Oga go and sleep. What diversity do you have in Lagos ? How many tourists come to Lagos in a year? I'm not talking business travelers!

FYI, Accra, Nairobi is more diversed. There's nothing diversity about Lagos.
Where do you see foreigners of different color blend and live as locals like they do in Accra and Nairobi?

You should travel more.
I don't know about " beauty at night" but none of those Sub Saharan countries cut it!

Please if you intend to quote me, bring facts and data or experience. Or don't bother.

1 Like

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 10:46am On Dec 26, 2018
BedLam:
Oga go and sleep. What diversity do you have in Lagos ? How many tourists come to Lagos in a year? I'm not talking business travelers!

FYI, Accra, Nairobi is more diversed. There's nothing diversity about Lagos.
Where do you see foreigners of different color blend and live as locals like they do in Accra and Nairobi?

You should travel more.
I don't know about " beauty at night" but none of those Sub Saharan countries cut it!

Please if you intend to quote me, bring facts and data or experience. Or don't bother.

What is your definition of diversity?

Do you mean Africans, Europeans, Americans and Asians don't blend and live in Lagos?

I am not talking about Lagos state, I am talking about Lagos city.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 6:08am On Dec 27, 2018
forgiveness:

What your definition of diversity?

Do you mean Africans, Europeans, Americans and Asians don't blend and live in Lagos?

I am not talking about Lagos state, I am talking about Lagos city.
Yes. They are very few! And they are usually business people unlike the above mentioned cities. Maybe you need to go to Accra or Nairobi. And what's Lagos city and states again ?

1 Like

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 8:46am On Dec 27, 2018
BedLam:
Yes. They are very few! And they are usually business people unlike the above mentioned cities. Maybe you need to go to Accra or Nairobi. And what's Lagos city and states again ?

Oga! I have been to Accra more than 50 times, Yaoundé once, Lome and Cotonou more than 100 times. So, don't tell what I know.

You say foreigners are few in Lagos. I laugh. Maybe you like in Ikorodu or outside Lagos city.

How can you be arguing if you don't know the difference between Lagos state and Lagos city?
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 9:46am On Dec 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Oga! I have been to Accra more than 50 times, Yaoundé once, Lome and Cotonou more than 100 times. So, don't tell what I know.

You say foreigners are few in Lagos. I laugh. Maybe you like in Ikorodu or outside Lagos city.

How can you be arguing if you don't know the difference between Lagos state and Lagos city?
Bring the facts! What's the number of tourists that used MMIA this year? How many foreigners are currently residing in Lagos compared to Accra and Nairobi? Why do you think UN, Oracle, Deloitte all have their regional headquarters in Nairobi? Google " Karen Neighborhood" in Nairobi, it's mostly foreigners who live there.
You don't have the numbers so don't bother next time. Since you live on Banana Island, name people that are are permanently living here. How easy it is to find a foreigner in Ikorodu, Badagry? But maybe a little trip to Kasoa after Accra will tell you what diversity is.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 9:46am On Dec 28, 2018
forgiveness:

There's nowhere called Lagos City, stop the miseducation!

5 Likes

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 1:43pm On Dec 28, 2018
BedLam:
Bring the facts! What's the number of tourists that used MMIA this year? How many foreigners are currently residing in Lagos compared to Accra and Nairobi? Why do you think UN, Oracle, Deloitte all have their regional headquarters in Nairobi? Google " Karen Neighborhood" in Nairobi, it's mostly foreigners who live there.
You don't have the numbers so don't bother next time. Since you live on Banana Island, name people that are are permanently living here. How easy it is to find a foreigner in Ikorodu, Badagry? But maybe a little trip to Kasoa after Accra will tell you what diversity is.

Nigeria witnessed more tourists than Kenya and Ghana combined.

How many foreigners living in Nigeria!? Read.

https://punchng.com/least-liveable-ranking-hard-to-believe-foreign-residents-in-nigeria/

50,000 Indians in Nigeria. We know which city will receive the highest proportion. That tells you why there's Indian community in Lagos.

More South Koreans live in Nigeria more than Kenya and Ghana. We know the highest proportion live in Lagos.

40,000 Chinese in Nigeria. More than half live in Lagos.

Lebanese are even citizens here. They are more than 10,000 in Lagos.

Where is Shell, Pfizer Global, procter and gamble, etc Africa regional headquarters?

How can you be confusing Lagos with Ikorodu? It's like confusing Tema with Accra. They two different cities in greater Accra.

It seems you can't differentiate a city from a state or region. They are two different things.

We are talking about Lagos and not Lagos state. We are talking about Accra and not greater Accra. We are talking Nairobi and not Nairobi county. Don't be confused.

Foreigners are even plenty in even Ikorodu. A town of its own and outskirt of Lagos.

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 2:14pm On Dec 28, 2018
BedLam:
There's nowhere called Lagos City, stop the miseducation!

It seems you are a foreigner.

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 4:01pm On Dec 29, 2018
forgiveness:

Nigeria witnessed more tourists than Kenya and Ghana combined.

How many foreigners living in Nigeria!? Read.

https://punchng.com/least-liveable-ranking-hard-to-believe-foreign-residents-in-nigeria/

50,000 Indians in Nigeria. We know which city will receive the highest proportion. That tells you why there's Indian community in Lagos.

More South Koreans live in Nigeria more than Kenya and Ghana. We know the highest proportion live in Lagos.

40,000 Chinese in Nigeria. More than half live in Lagos.

Lebanese are even citizens here. They are more than 10,000 in Lagos.

Where is Shell, Pfizer Global, procter and gamble, etc Africa regional headquarters?

How can you be confusing Lagos with Ikorodu? It's like confusing Tema with Accra. They two different cities in greater Accra.

It seems you can't differentiate a city from a state or region. They are two different things.

We are talking about Lagos and not Lagos state. We are talking about Accra and not greater Accra. We are talking Nairobi and not Nairobi county. Don't be confused.

Foreigners are even plenty in even Ikorodu. A town of its own and outskirt of Lagos.
Dude Lagos is a city state and there is not place called Lagos city! Did you even read the what's in that picture ? There's Accra and and Greater Accra is a region. Which streets, or hotels are in this your deluded "Lagos City"? Which books do you have Lagos city ?
Now when computing the numbers below, factor in the indigenous population and demographic contents.

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 4:04pm On Dec 29, 2018
forgiveness:

It seems you are a foreigner.
You are the one quoting meaningless articles that seems you don't understand.

If we mention "Benin City" that's Benin in edo state and everyone knows this. There's no Lagos city that's different from Lagos as a whole. You are the foreigner here.

5 Likes

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 4:24pm On Dec 29, 2018
BedLam:

If we mention "Benin City" that's Benin in edo state and everyone knows this. There's no Lagos city that's different from Lagos as a whole. You are the foreigner here.

You are a foreigner. Simple and short.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 5:15pm On Dec 29, 2018
BedLam:
Dude Lagos is a city state and there is not place called Lagos city! Did you even read the what's in that picture ? There's Accra and and Greater Accra is a region. Which streets, or hotels are in this your deluded "Lagos City"? Which books do you have Lagos city ?
Now when computing the numbers below, factor in the indigenous population and demographic contents.

That was the question you asked below and I have answered your question.

If you still think there are small numbers foreigners in Lagos after showing you facts then I can't help you.

Lagos metropolitan area is totally different from Lagos state.

Two different things entirety. Is Kano city the same as Kano state? Is Kaduna city the same as Kaduna state?

BedLam:
[b]Bring the facts! What's the number of tourists that used MMIA this year? How many foreigners are currently residing in Lagos compared to Accra and Nairobi? [/b]Why do you think UN, Oracle, Deloitte all have their regional headquarters in Nairobi? Google " Karen Neighborhood" in Nairobi, it's mostly foreigners who live there.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by Emmanuelstm(m): 2:09am On Dec 30, 2018
BedLam:

please man have you heard about Lagos island before? Someone shown you proof from wiki still you are still arguing, I've being living in Accra for 5 years please mention the best place or area in Accra, let's compare it with Lagos
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by Emmanuelstm(m): 2:10am On Dec 30, 2018
forgiveness:

If you still think there are small numbers foreigners in Lagos after showing you facts then I can't help you.

Two different things entirety. Is Kano city the same as Kano state? Is Kaduna city the same as Kaduna state?

man I respect you, you are well informed Infact I learnt from you today please if you ever visit Accra again would love to meet you. Bless you bro
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 10:49am On Dec 30, 2018
Emmanuelstm:
please man have you heard about Lagos island before? Someone shown you proof from wiki still you are still arguing, I've being living in Accra for 5 years please mention the best place or area in Accra, let's compare it with Lagos
Wiki? Lagos island is geography. Oh. So you now exclude Ikeja from Lagos and demarcated it to form Lagos city ? Whose address have you seen Lagos city just like you know NYC which is New York City?

I wasn't comparing best places. I'm talking diversity. And if you live in Ghana you can attest to that.

3 Likes

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 10:51am On Dec 30, 2018
forgiveness:

Now you shift from Lagos city to Lagos metro ? I asked you who resides in this Lagos city of your or is it just on paper ?
The same wiki is where you have 290k people visiting one location and you are bragging about 40k Chinese workers ? Lol
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by BedLam: 10:52am On Dec 30, 2018
forgiveness:

You are a foreigner. Simple and short.

Haha. You know your Lagos city doesn't sell for people like me who knows Nigeria. If you like think I'm alien, na you Sabi.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by Emmanuelstm(m): 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2018
BedLam:

Haha. You know your Lagos city doesn't sell for people like me who knows Nigeria. If you like think I'm alien, na you Sabi.

please answer this question, can you call prampram Accra?
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 4:46pm On Dec 30, 2018
BedLam:
Now you shift from Lagos city to Lagos metro ? I asked you who resides in this Lagos city of your or is it just on paper ?
The same wiki is where you have 290k people visiting one location and you are bragging about 40k Chinese workers ? Lol

Is Kaduna ( or Kaduna city) same as Kaduna state?

Is Kano(Kano city) same as Kano state?

Is Lagos (Lagos city/metro) same as Lagos state?

Is Accra the same as Greater Accra?

Maybe you think I am talking about Lagos island.

Did I show you only Chinese population? So, you didn't see India population and Lebanese population I displayed here?

My friend, you claimed there is nothing diversity in Lagos. Now that you have have seen more than 100,000 foreigners live in Lagos, EOD.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by TMKsouth: 5:07pm On Dec 30, 2018
In future, maybe NOT naming your cities after states & states after cities would result in less confusion.

Renaming is also an option. grin

p.s.
Diversity doesn't only apply to race, it also applies to ethnicity. Not having other races living in Lagos doesn't mean the city lacks diversity. Unless if it's only made up of Yorubas, which then is a different story.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2018
Emmanuelstm:
man I respect you, you are well informed Infact I learnt from you today please if you ever visit Accra again would love to meet you. Bless you bro

Well, I also learnt from people and I am still learning. Anyway, thanks.

No problem. Once I am around.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by forgiveness: 5:45pm On Dec 30, 2018
TMKsouth:
In future, maybe NOT naming your cities after states & states after cities would result in less confusion.

Renaming is also an option. grin

p.s.
Diversity doesn't only apply to race, it also applies to ethnicity. Not having other races living in Lagos doesn't mean the city lacks diversity. Unless if it's only made up of Yorubas, which then is a different story.

There are millions of other tribes and millions of West Africa people in Lagos.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by ranch2000: 4:38pm On Feb 07, 2019
TMKsouth:

10 Years later (2018): Has your city reached "World-Class" status?

Northern Jo'burg definitely world class (Sandton). Cape Town too.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by SensorVee(f): 5:11pm On Feb 07, 2019
ranch2000:

Northern Jo'burg definitely world class (Sandton). Cape Town too.

No African cities are world class dear. Sorry.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by ranch2000: 8:36pm On Feb 07, 2019
SensorVee:

No African cities are world class dear. Sorry.

page)

Cape Town and Jo'burg tick all the boxes (perhaps not good public toilets). What u basing your negative response on? angry

1. Beauty at Night
2. Good public Toilets
3. Filthy-Rich People
4. A Great Train Station
6. Great Universities
8. Diversity
10. International/local airport
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by SensorVee(f): 8:57pm On Feb 07, 2019
ranch2000:

page)

Cape Town and Jo'burg tick all the boxes (perhaps not good public toilets). What u basing your negative response on? angry

1. Beauty at Night
2. Good public Toilets
3. Filthy-Rich People
4. A Great Train Station
6. Great Universities
8. Diversity
10. International/local airport

Build by white man decades ago. Now in decay. No beauty. No train stations - all burned down by violence. Students destroyed uni during protests. No diversity, there is whitd man genocides on farm.
Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by ranch2000: 12:53pm On Feb 08, 2019
SensorVee:

Build by white man decades ago. Now in decay. No beauty. [b]No train stations - all burned down by violence. [/b]Students destroyed uni during protests. No diversity, there is whitd man genocides on farm.

U mean these fantastic train stations? cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by SensorVee(f): 1:18pm On Feb 08, 2019
ranch2000:

U mean these fantastic train stations? cool

Plz that old picture c Abuja Kaduna rail, latest technology.

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by ranch2000: 6:13pm On Feb 08, 2019
SensorVee:

Plz that old picture c Abuja grin grin Kaduna rail, latest technology.

grin grin grin laughing hysterically!
U flaunting American trains (Seattle, to be exact) and claiming they are Nigerian You are a lost case. Clearly u know nothing bout your own country, let alone SA.
grin grin ;Dstill laughing... (hysterically!)

4 Likes

Re: What Makes A City World-class? Lagos? Nairobi? Jo'burg? by SensorVee(f): 8:10pm On Feb 08, 2019
ranch2000:

grin grin grin laughing hysterically!
U flaunting American trains (Seattle, to be exact) and claiming they are Nigerian You are a lost case. Clearly u know nothing bout your own country, let alone SA.
grin grin ;Dstill laughing... (hysterically!)

Stupid mumu. U jealous. Nigeria is giant of Africa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pta / Dana Air Plane Just Crashed Outside Lagos Airport / Coldest Place On Earth Where You Breath In And Die - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.