Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? (21043 Views)

RCCG Cancels Cross-Over Service Nationwide / List Of States That Banned Cross-Over Service / Cross-over Service At Glory Dome, World’s Largest Church Auditorium, Abuja (PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Gullah: 8:10am On Dec 30, 2018
It's that time of the year again, that time of the year when almost everyone begins to reflect on their actions and achievements or failures in the year that is about to end. Many people are already compiling their new year resolutions and plans already no doubt. It's also the time for one of the most interesting and unusual church service that has become an annual end of year ritual among churches all over the world; THE CROSSOVER SERVICE.

The crossover service is perhaps the most attended church service across the country. On the 31st of December every year, millions of people gather in churches so that they can cross over into the new year in the presence of God, They wait expectantly for the clock to strike 12 midnight, for the Man or Woman of God to declare the word of God for the new year and they scream and jump in excitement when the minister says in a solemn voice, "Thus says the Lord, the year 2019 shall be the year of.......". Then the prayers begin, members of the congregation tap into the declaration and present their own personal plans for the new year before God, The minister then proclaims God's blessings for the new year on the people. A usually very elaborate and euphoric service for Christians like me I must say but it's usually just few hours after the service that the questions start ringing in my head,

What exactly is the significance of this service? Are there really special blessings for those who attend that those who don't attend won't receive? How about the curious observation that many people who didn't even bother about God or attend a church service throughout the year suddenly pop into the church on that night to claim God's promises and blessings for the new year? Does God's presence really go into the new year with people as they attend and leave those services? How about the Olive oils, bottled water, handkerchiefs or aprons, stickers with the word for the year printed on them and other " holy items" attendees usually come home with? Are they really effective in helping those who possess them in any way in the new year?

I have my thoughts about all that but since I am not hundred percent sure I am right about it, I'd rather prefer to put it out here and know your opinions on this topic. Does this service have any special or unique importance for Christians?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Trustme2(m): 8:14am On Dec 30, 2018
Hmmmm.BRB

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by shadeze: 8:36am On Dec 30, 2018
I have always had the same questions too. I don't recall any difference between the years I crossed into in the church and the ones I crossed into on my bed at home

44 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Oluromantic: 8:48am On Dec 30, 2018
Me and my bae go jolly jolly for bedroom that night. Na love-making we go take crossover.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by internationalman(m): 9:09am On Dec 30, 2018
they are all bunch of lazy people declaring what ordinarily they cannot work for to get.

Like someone said, nothing changes in the new year. It's just a calendar flipping over to the next page.

90 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by NPComplete: 9:29am On Dec 30, 2018
Modern Christianity is nothing but foolishness and fuckery. They have been crossing over every year in Nigeria yet Nigeria seems to keep getting worse. They will never use their heads but keep insanely repeating the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

These same people will still spend their tithes, offerings and seeds all year to still fight a devourer or another. It seems the Nigerian Christian is condemned to an endless Sisyphean task of battle against invincible enemies. Yet at the slightest opportunity, they will run to Dubai, China and other godless countries that seem to spend their new years eve partying or doing nothing. If u want to know the definition of foolishness just look for the average Nigerian Christian. Devout, religious, superstitious and senseless.

Christianity, especially the pentecostal kind, is foolishness and fuckery. Foolishness and fuckery, I tell ya.

Foolishness.

And fuckery.

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by IMASTEX: 9:29am On Dec 30, 2018
Just doctrine. Nothing Christlike about it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Exwizard: 9:29am On Dec 30, 2018
2019 is a scam..... Law of arithmetic says 19 must come before 20, hence in Nigeria �� we are in 1920 backward

13 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by ednut1(m): 9:29am On Dec 30, 2018
Is it biblical Prob no. After all said and done 95% of them go back to their evil nd scheming ways

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by IMASTEX: 9:30am On Dec 30, 2018
internationalman:
they are all bunch of lazy people declaring what ordinarily they cannot work for to get.

Like someone said, nothing changes in the new year. It's just a calendar flipping over to the next page.
Seconded.
Generally, time is infinite. It is humans that have personal time limits. Hence your personal time counts when you say good morning, happy weekend, month or year. There is always a fund raising anytime there is a gathering in a church services in the form of offering, seed, etc. Therefore, anything that will keep making people to gather, is what the religious men will do.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by sexiestharam(f): 9:30am On Dec 30, 2018
There's no significance. I actually believe it is more of a party. They feel it is better to go to a church to start a new year than a club. Cross-over is so unnecessary.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:30am On Dec 30, 2018
People believe starting the new year in Church is a good thing.
To them it signifies that they recognize that God should come first in peoples' lives. 
The service is usually to thank God for being alive and experiencing the blessing of the out going year and the welcoming of the new one.
Usually, during the New year Service in many churches, the new year is dedicated to God and people seek Divine intervention for a smooth and problem free year

Happy New year in advance to Every good Nigerians, with love from [b][/b]

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by ijaw1stson: 9:30am On Dec 30, 2018
Lol
That end of the year ritual part got me rotfl �����

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by ElNero(m): 9:31am On Dec 30, 2018
If you are here to read and laugh over comments, please let's gather here for a selfie.

31 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Iamgrey5(m): 9:32am On Dec 30, 2018
It's a form of thanksgiving and celebration

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by gly(m): 9:36am On Dec 30, 2018
IMASTEX:
Just doctrine. Nothing Christlike about it

I have also thought of this. Thanks OP for this piece. Let us hear from enlightened like minds. God bless all of us.
Happy new year 2019 in advance.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by toprealman: 9:38am On Dec 30, 2018
Oyibo go de drink wine de watch Christmas special of their favourite sitcoms.....with firework interlude.
I don't see anything wrong with crossover night service sha. It gets you in the mood for the new year.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nobody: 9:41am On Dec 30, 2018
Well, its a matter of choice..
Have no significance whatsoever..

its just your everyday prayer as usual..and the new year is just a change of calendar..
You know how many times I don sleep for new year eve wake up the next morning..
Abeg, 1st of January is just a new day like every other day Abeg..some people go still die for 31st night.. And everything that happens every other day will happen that night.

That being said..
Happy new year in advance everyone

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by RealEstateTek: 9:42am On Dec 30, 2018
Life is 90% spiritual, 10% physical. If you know, you know. I was dating the Ifa priest's daughter many years ago. She invited me for the crossover program for the year at their home in Oshogbo. Elebubon's house is a magnificent place. I was surprised to see so many priests and traditionalists arrived to join the "worship", rituals etc for the crossover. Yet, many Christians fail to maximize the spiritual crossover opportunity to encapsulating themselves in the Power, Protection, Holiness and Love of GOD. They take spiritual opportunities for granted. What a pity that Christians, the true Children of the living GOD (who has totality of Authority over every other authorities) don't know what they have. I learned a lot from below
EternalBeing:
A must read thread. Learn from this and contribute your experiences too: https://www.nairaland.com/4906858/share-experiences-steps-tools-attaining#73885698

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 30, 2018
post=74289004:
People believe starting the new year in Church is a good thing.
To them it signifies that they recognize that God should come first in peoples' lives. 
The service is usually to thank God for being alive and experiencing the blessing of the out going year and the welcoming of the new one.
Usually, during the New year Service in many churches, the new year is dedicated to God and people seek Divine intervention for a smooth and problem free year
NBD.
I agree with you one hundred percent on this.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nembeboi: 9:42am On Dec 30, 2018
It's of no significance whatsoever. Its just a human doctrine and it has shown dat it has no value
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Grace001: 9:43am On Dec 30, 2018
It’s not significant. It’s only here in Nigeria that we always attach religious meaning to things. Just watch out for all kinds of fake prophecies/ hypothesis from fake pastors.

My new year starts a day after my birthday, the day I clock another year is my new year.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 30, 2018
shadeze:
I have always had the same questions too. I don't recall any difference between the years I crossed into in the church and the ones I crossed into on my bed at home
Of course, na just calendar dey change na.. If you no get money for 31st, na like so you go be for 1st of January.. Its just another day like every other day.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 30, 2018
internationalman:

Yes..and you see people making new year resolutions like just one night will change them..

As for me, I live life one day at a time,and not one year at a time like most people.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Uploadme(m): 9:45am On Dec 30, 2018
Na now you they reason the foolishness wey una dey do? grin grin grin
From this your questions one can easily deduct that you know the truth but seems to be afraid to confront it because of the years of indoctrination and mental programming you've gone through in church, its quite a pity though but with in dept reasoning and meditation you can gradually reprogram your brain to think right.
There's nothing like crossover, walkover, move over, flyover or whatever night, the calendar is use to calculate and determine days of the year and nothing more. Today is the same as tomorrow and next tomorrow there is nothing special about December 31 night, its just another night of the year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 30, 2018
sexiestharam:
There's no significance. I actually believe it is more of a party. They feel it is better to go to a church to start a new year than a club. Cross-over is so unnecessary.
you are the only one with the real point, to me i will prefer been in church to party that night, though am a chronic sinner.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Mizwisdom(f): 9:46am On Dec 30, 2018
Oluromantic:
Me and my bae go jolly jolly for bedroom that night. Na love-making we go take crossover.

U think say u be small picin, bae or wife? cheesy

Cross over is significant because if you understand that day & night are the creation of a Supernatural being, you should also understand that when u start a new year, you'll need to seize it through prayers to enable it favor u.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 30, 2018
Its a matter of choice, doesn't change anything..

Whether in church,at home or in the club..

Why do we stress ourselves over petty issues.

Na just new calendar dey start Abeg..
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by MicroBox: 9:47am On Dec 30, 2018
It holds no any significance.. It's just a rollover to another day as usual.
Its a psychological way of reminding self on why you need to double your hustle or reflect on previous days achievements.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sallah Ram: Man Hangs Self Over Lack Of Money To Buy Ram / Fire Breaks Out At Notre-dame Cathedral In Paris (photos) / The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.