Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,574 members, 7,820,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Psalms To Get Started - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Psalms To Get Started (563 Views)

Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! / 'how I Recovered From Snake Bite Using Psalms 3 & 4' / Therapeutic Use Of Psalms, Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Psalms To Get Started by Yefet(m): 7:13pm On Aug 08, 2010
Getting Ready to Pray the PsalmsShare. Today at 8:50pm
I have to apologize; perhaps this should have been the starting place; but, my bad!!

Prayer is not difficult; simply talking to God. Everyone does it. The excerpts from this book I am sharing is only meant to help you enhance your talking time with GOD. "LORD, I want to talk to You, "!!

The word Psalm in Hebrew is Tehillum, which means, "To make jubilant music" So; they should be prayed to music; whether it is music God places in your heart; or if you have some form of just soaking music. BUT if you have neither of these; Make Music In Your Heart and Just sing to Him; He Loves that also. The Hebrew Tehillum is taken from a root halal, "to rejoice", or to"yell a greeting" as if you are excited about seeing someone; be that way with the Father; very happily "Hello God, this is me, thank You for listening to me". There are ways we talk to people. We ask for things, we thank them, we informally chat, we negotiate, we express anger, we complain, and we compliment. Likewise, there are many ways to pray. As you embark upon this journey to pray the various Psalms, notice all the ways you talk to God. "Lord, teach me to pray every possible way, "!!!

First way to talk to God is by complimenting Him. Worship; "Come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker" (Ps. 95:6) You worship by giving "Worth" to God that is due Him. You worship God by giving Him worship. He is due all worship, we should not worship self; false gods; worldly pleasure. " LORD, I worship your majesty, "!!

"True worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth: for the Father is seeking people to worship Him this way" (Jn. 4:23) "Lord, I worship You with my whole heart, and I worship You the way the Bible (truth) tells me to do it."

Second way to pray is to ask for forgiveness. You can't pray when sin blocks your access to God. The Psalmist notes, " If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear." (Ps.66:18) So pray the Psalms to ask forgiveness, "According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions" (Ps. 51:1). Then you can rejoice with the Psalmist because God "forgives all your iniquities" (Ps. 103:3) There is forgiveness with You (God), that You may be feared " (Ps. 130:4). We should worship and thank God for forgiving our iniquities; our sins. "LORD, thank You for forgiving all my past, present, and future sins, " Hallelujah!!

Third way you pray is by yielding yourself to God, It's called surrendering to Him. The Lord's Prayer tell you to pray like this, "Thy will be done, ". You become a follower of the Lord by yielding to Him. Each day renew that decision " LORD, today I give myself to You, " Psalms 100 gives us a picture of people presenting themselves to God. "Lord, today I again present my body a living sacrifice. I yield to Your Will."

Fourth way to pray is to ask for protection. What scares you today? God can protect you from fear and dread. The Psalmist prayed, "This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of ALL his troubles." (Ps. 34:6) God delivered him from ALL his troubles; not just some; if God did it then; He will do it for you now also. "The Angel of the LORD encamps all around those who fear HIM, and delivers them" (Ps.34:7) "Lord, deliver me from the dangers I face, and the dangers I don't know about."

Fifth way to pray is to ask for guidance. Need a answer to a decision or problem? Praying the Psalms can help you find it. You can find God's will for your life in prayer. God promises, " I will guide you" (Ps. 32:cool Based on that promise you can have assurance that He will lead you. "He leads me" (Ps. 23:2)
"LORD, take me by the hand and guide me through my difficult decisions, " Amen.

Sixth way to pray is to ask for His victory, All God's people want to over come sin (Ps.51) or conquer an enemy (Ps.7). The Psalmist promises victory today in the strength of the LORD. "Through God we will do valiantly, for it is HE who shall tread down our enemies" (Ps. 60:12). Psalmist also promises a future victory, " I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever" (Ps. 23:6)
" Lord, I want victory now, I'm tired of being defeated, I want victory today, "

Seventh way to pray is for provision. We ask other people for things; Why Not God? The Psalmist wanted the blessing of God that included good crops, flourishing flocks, healthy families, and good health. " The Lord has been mindful of us; He will bless us; He will bless the house of Israel; He will bless the house of Aaron. He will bless those who fear the LORD both small and great. May the Lord give you increase more and more, you and your children. (Ps. 115:12-14) Asking is the kingdom principle taught by Jesus. "Up to now you have not asked for anything in prayer, now you will receive when you ask in My Name" (Jn. 16:24) " Lord, I have many needs; teach me to ask properly for my daily bread, "

Praying for blessing on your service to God is the eighth way to pray. Moses prayed for victory in battle, while Joshua led the army into battle. (Ex.17:5-16) When Moses was physically unable to hold up his arms in prayer, Aaron and Hur helped him. David prayed, "O LORD, when I cry, have mercy also upon me, and answer me" (Ps. 27:7) The Psalmist confesses, " I would have lost heart, unless I believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the Land of the Living " (Ps. 27:13)
" Lord, I want to see Your Hand in my service for You, "

Vincent R. Tellery.
Re: Psalms To Get Started by nopuqeater: 7:40pm On Aug 08, 2010
And to the christians, David is nothing but a womanizer, a killer, etc. But they cant help thermselves away from his Psalms to protect themselves. Yet there is no single verse that I have seen from their God Jesus son of Mary who says he is a servant sent by Eloi, has been used to protect. Am I missing something or it is you guys that are far into errors, hence what is wrong seems right?

(1) (Reply)

Prophesy: If You Believe You Will Buy Hummer Before The End Of This Month / Husbands On The Way-adefarasin / The Basest Of Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.