Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help (5064 Views)

My Car Needs Urgent Help Pls / Single Mom Needs Urgent Help / All-new 2019 Toyota Rav4 Unveiled (photos, Details And Price) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 5:45pm On Jan 02, 2019
Dear Nairaland Car gurus, please come to my aid as fast as possible.

I just got a 2001 Rav4 and the vehicle is giving me headaches. After purchase, I had my mechanic drain the transmission fluid inside and replace with Toyota Type T-IV.

I decided to take it with me on the family Christmas trip and noticed that it wouldn't go beyond gear 3 (80km/hr at 3100rpm). Even when I fire up to 4000rpm, it still wouldn't engage gear 4. All through the trip, I left the speed at 80km/hr (3100rpm).

Apart from that issue, I noticed that the Reverse gear when engaged would sometimes give noticeable jerks and the accelerator depressed. Other times, it moves fine.
I've tried using a scanner to read possible codes but to no avail (scanners says "link not found"). I've read online that this model is plagued with transmission issues but that can be resolved.

I'd like your opinion on what's going on and how to rectify same.
Many thanks.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by gly2ken: 10:58pm On Jan 02, 2019
My brother, the challenges you observe is common to rav 4, my rav4 is 2003 model. For the car not crossing 80 km/hr, you need to wash the 4 nozzles and also when driving don't press the throttle continuously, if you do, the car will find it difficult to change gear. Try to accerlerate the car gently. For the bang sound you hear when the reverse gear is engaged, it is the propeller that hits of the iron which the engine is sitting on.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by olumide4christ: 11:46pm On Jan 02, 2019
gly2ken:
My brother, the challenges you observe is common to rav 4, my rav4 is 2003 model. For the car not crossing 80 km/hr, you need to wash the 4 nozzles and also when driving don't press the throttle continuously, if you do, the car will find it difficult to change gear. Try to accerlerate the car gently. For the bang sound you hear when the reverse gear is engaged, it is the propeller that hits of the iron which the engine is sitting on.

I thought the local mechanics (kazeems) say that Toyota cars are the best...why these problems now
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by sultaan(m): 11:47pm On Jan 02, 2019
Now you know why I sold the RAV to you.It almost sent me back to the village. You will need expert help no more kazeem try radauto

1 Like

Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by RZArecta2(m): 6:48am On Jan 03, 2019
sultaan:
Now you know why I sold the RAV to you.It almost sent me back to the village. You will need expert help no more kazeem try radauto
winsh

2 Likes

Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 7:49am On Jan 03, 2019
sultaan:

I assume you intend to sound smart with your response but you just appear very foolish. If you've got nothing tangible to add, just move on rather than exhibit your stupidity on my post. I also believe you are mistaken because I didn't buy the RAV4 from you.

In a saner clime, had the person you sold your car to initiated an action for fraudulent misrepresentation and damages against you, you won't have the nerve to blab online when the court has issued heavy punitive cost against you.

Like I said earlier, move on bro.

2 Likes

Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 7:53am On Jan 03, 2019
gly2ken:

Hello bro, I take it that you've had first-hand experience of this issue I am currently facing. Did the solution you preferred above work for you? Please confirm. Thanks.

I also read some articles online referring me to the ECU. Any thoughts?
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 7:54am On Jan 03, 2019
RZArecta2:
winsh

Don't mind the slowpoke. If he were to be cooling his heels in custody by now, he won't be saying rubbish online.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by nurey(m): 8:25am On Jan 03, 2019
kayphyzee:

Don't mind the slowpoke. If he were to be cooling his heels in custody by now, he won't be saying rubbish online.

You have a minute sense of humour.

That year model Rav 4 has ECU defect which affects the transmission but it kills it not the issue you are facing, also the defect may have been fixed even before the first naija owner took delivery. You have a faulty gear, try to check if it will move to 4 when you release accelerator then press again and when you switch to N and then back to D.

Jerk when engaged in reverse could be your bushing/seating has worn out check that before you conclude gear is gone.

if gear is cheap buy another one and leave repairing alone
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 8:39am On Jan 03, 2019
nurey:

You have a minute sense of humour.

That year model Rav 4 has ECU defect which affects the transmission but it kills it not the issue you are facing, also the defect may have been fixed even before the first naija owner took delivery. You have a faulty gear, try to check if it will move to 4 when you release accelerator then press again and when you switch to N and then back to D.

Jerk when engaged in reverse could be your bushing/seating has worn out check that before you conclude gear is gone.

if gear is cheap buy another one and leave repairing alone

I was infuriated because he appears to be making fun of my predicament.

About your suggestion, I am a bit confused about this part "...affects the transmission but it kills it not the issue you are facing...".
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by RZArecta2(m): 8:39am On Jan 03, 2019
kayphyzee:

I believe he was only joking just like I am
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 8:41am On Jan 03, 2019
RZArecta2:
I believe he was only joking just like I am

grin grin He got the better side of me. The issue is really frustrating and I just wasn't having none of his humour.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by RZArecta2(m): 8:50am On Jan 03, 2019
kayphyzee:

grin grin He got the better side of me. The issue is really frustrating and I just wasn't having none of his humour.
I understand o jare, unnecessary expenses with no solution in sight dey pain. There are good places/people you can use here if you want to solve this matter once and for all but na your money go talk eg radautoworks like sultaan suggested or gazzuzz
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by nurey(m): 8:59am On Jan 03, 2019
kayphyzee:

I was infuriated because he appears to be making fun of my predicament.

About your suggestion, I am a bit confused about this part "...affects the transmission but it kills it not the issue you are facing...".

Your gear doesn't go above 4 into 5 I have seen many toyota with careless maintenance on the gear have such issues.

The problem you have started after changing fluid, if the gear never experienced that issues until after fluid change then

Fluid used is fake or

Gear was already damaged but fluid change aggravated it

Follow the link for the defect and learn about it

https://www.nairaland.com/597009/toyota-rav4-2001-2003-auto

2 Likes

Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 9:33am On Jan 03, 2019
nurey:

Your gear doesn't go above 4 into 5 I have seen many toyota with careless maintenance on the gear have such issues.

The problem you have started after changing fluid, if the gear never experienced that issues until after fluid change then

Fluid used is fake or

Thanks. I will read through the link now.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by radautoworks: 10:56am On Jan 03, 2019
nurey:

Fluid used is fake or

This is why nurey won the vote
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by gly2ken: 1:55pm On Jan 03, 2019
kayphyzee:

Hello bro, I take it that you've had first-hand experience of this issue I am currently facing. Did the solution you preferred above work for you? Please confirm. Thanks.

I also read some articles online referring me to the ECU. Any thoughts?

For car not exceeding 80 do what I told you. For the noise when reverse gear is engaged, I have driven the car like that for 3 years when I noticed it is not something serious. However, from my observation, I notice the noise tend to louder when the car is hot
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by sultaan(m): 2:36am On Jan 04, 2019
kayphyzee:

When we talk to each other and we are not smiling it means we are telling the truth. You being angry does not solve the situation, but having a clear mind of the fact that you are asking for a free help and the only thing I can offer knowing the car has been tampered with is to recommend someone who might have the expertise and replacement parts to get you back on the road.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 3:28am On Jan 04, 2019
gly2ken:

For car not exceeding 80 do what I told you. For the noise when reverse gear is engaged, I have driven the car like that for 3 years when I noticed it is not something serious. However, from my observation, I notice the noise tend to louder when the car is hot

Thank you. Will give a feedback.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 3:30am On Jan 04, 2019
sultaan:

When we talk to each other and we are not smiling it means we are telling the truth. You being angry does not solve the situation, but having a clear mind of the fact that you are asking for a free help and the only thing I can offer knowing the car has been tampered with is to recommend someone who might have the expertise and replacement parts to get you back on the road.

I'm happy to receive recommendations on how to resolve the issues but it sounded like you were making jest of my predicament. Thanks, anyways.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by Asunaky: 4:15pm On Apr 08, 2019
kayphyzee:

I just got a 2001 Rav4 and the vehicle is giving me headaches. After purchase, I had my mechanic drain the transmission fluid inside and replace with Toyota Type T-IV.

I decided to take it with me on the family Christmas trip and noticed that it wouldn't go beyond gear 3 (80km/hr at 3100rpm). Even when I fire up to 4000rpm, it still wouldn't engage gear 4. All through the trip, I left the speed at 80km/hr (3100rpm).

Apart from that issue, I noticed that the Reverse gear when engaged would sometimes give noticeable jerks and the accelerator depressed. Other times, it moves fine.
I've tried using a scanner to read possible codes but to no avail (scanners says "link not found"wink. I've read online that this model is plagued with transmission issues but that can be resolved.

Many thanks.
Thanks boss
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by earthrealm(m): 7:35pm On Apr 10, 2019
kayphyzee:

I've tried using a scanner to read possible codes but to no avail (scanners says "link not found"wink. I've read online that this model is plagued with transmission issues but that can be resolved.

Many thanks.

coming late to this parry, how did it end? did u resolve the issue or sold off the car
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 9:01am On Apr 11, 2019
earthrealm:

coming late to this parry, how did it end? did u resolve the issue or sold off the car

The ECU I got at Ladipo resolved the issues. I am still driving the vehicle and in fact, I just installed a tokunbo 1az engine in the vehicle. Sounds better and performance improved.

I now need to install new A/F and o2 sensors (Bank 2), perhaps to improve fuel consumption. A/C will be done on Saturday.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by debanj326: 12:16pm On Apr 11, 2019
I had this same problem on my Toyota Highlander 2004, the car will not engage in gear 4 after some minutes. It will engage initially, but when I slow down or I stop without switching off the ignition, the car will not engage gear 4 until another restart. After making several attempts to fix it, I was told to change the knock sensor, and that the car is on 'limp mode'. after changing the knock sensor, the car started functioning perfectly.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by earthrealm(m): 3:01pm On Apr 11, 2019
kayphyzee:

The ECU I got at Ladipo resolved the issues. I am still driving the vehicle and in fact, I just installed a tokunbo 1az engine in the vehicle. Sounds better and performance improved.

I now need to install new A/F and o2 sensors (Bank 2), perhaps to improve fuel consumption. A/C will be done on Saturday.

ooh nice, did you take note of the number on the ladipo ecm??
2ndly what happened to your original engine?, did it knock/sieze?
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:13pm On Apr 11, 2019
debanj326:
I had this same problem on my Toyota Highlander 2004, the car will not engage in gear 4 after some minutes. It will engage initially, but when I slow down or I stop without switching off the ignition, the car will not engage gear 4 until another restart. After making several attempts to fix it, I was told to change the knock sensor, and that the car is on 'limp mode'. after changing the knock sensor, the car started functioning perfectly.

yes it happens..... limp mode

but that rav 4 model and year had a specific ecu defect from factory.....

dunno if this is one of the symptoms of the challenge.....
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 11:38am On Apr 12, 2019
earthrealm:

I can check the ECU number.

The other engine began smoking uncontrollably. My mechanic suggested ringing it but we found out that damage to the internal components is a lot. Rather than expend money rebuilding, he advised that I should buy a tokunbo engine for peace of mind.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 11:40am On Apr 12, 2019
earthrealm:

Any idea on how to resolve the gear 4 issue?
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by earthrealm(m): 12:37pm On Apr 12, 2019
kayphyzee:

Any idea on how to resolve the gear 4 issue?

THE link below covers all you need to know to resolve the issue.

download the toyota technical bulletine attached in the 1st post, so you know the ecm number to look out for, when you go to ladipo.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by earthrealm(m): 12:43pm On Apr 12, 2019
kayphyzee:

I can check the ECU number.

The other engine began smoking uncontrollably. My mechanic suggested ringing it but we found out that damage to the internal components is a lot. Rather than expend money rebuilding, he advised that I should buy a tokunbo engine for peace of mind.

checking it would be a lil difficult, since its already installed in the car, as you need to uninstall it b4 you can see the number,
but am really curious to know the number, to confirm it jives with number on the toyota tsb

as for your car smoking, i bet its a mixture of 1 or 2 erros or all the wrong practices listed below

1. you removed the thermostat
2. you connected the cooling fan to be running 24/7, ie as soon as you start the car
3. you are using wrong grade oil, ie 20w 50, mobil xhp/visco 2000 etc
4. your oil change interval is too long, over 6wks
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 7:54am On Apr 13, 2019
earthrealm:

checking it would be a lil difficult, since its already installed in the car, as you need to uninstall it b4 you can see the number,
but am really curious to know the number, to confirm it jives with number on the toyota tsb

as for your car smoking, i bet its a mixture of 1 or 2 erros or all the wrong practices listed below

1. you removed the thermostat
2. you connected the cooling fan to be running 24/7, ie as soon as you start the car
3. you are using wrong grade oil, ie 20w 50, mobil xhp/visco 2000 etc
4. your oil change interval is too long, over 6wks

I can access where the ECU is to check. @smoking car, it was a blue smoke. Found out the rings had damaged the cylinder and oil was escaping into the chamber. One of the outlets to the exhausts manifold had deposits of oil ( not carbon). The valve seal was also leaking oil. Those were the apparent problems we observed. Of the possible causes you listed above, I'd admit 1 and 2 because the car was like that when I bought it.
Re: 2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help by kayphyzee(m): 8:17am On Apr 13, 2019
earthrealm:

THE link below covers all you need to know to resolve the issue.

download the toyota technical bulletine attached in the 1st post, so you know the ecm number to look out for, when you go to ladipo.

I bought another ECU about two Saturdays ago at Ladipo.
After changing the ECU, the temp gauge began working, I could scan the car, the harsh reverse stopped, the overdrive buttons and cruise control started functioning. So I reckon it was a good buy.

ECU number is 89661-42651. I just checked the bulletin you referred me to and noticed 42651 is one of the ECU marked to be changed with 42653. Other than the gear 4, I confirm that all the other functions of the car are in order. The previous ECU was 42811.

In addition to the above, I noticed the bulletin reflected 42811 as an updated model number to 42810. The 42811 in the car was already malfunctioning and the 42651 resolved some of the earlier problems I noticed (save for this gear 4 issue).

Any other idea?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. / The 2010 North American Car Of The Year Is : / Affordable Car For Low Income Earners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.