Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,934 members, 7,952,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:35 PM

Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? (6942 Views)

Poll: Should boys cook?

Yes: 87% (57 votes)
No: 12% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / Why Do Some People Like Using Much Seasoning(maggi) In Cooking / Maggi, Knorr, Doyin,vedan, Ajinomoto, Iru: Which Tastes Better In Cooking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Meklex(m): 8:36pm On Aug 09, 2010
Years ago my mum asked me to help her cook and I was big-headed about the whole thing though I obeyed her but I still nurture the idea that boys are not meant to cook for the family, peeps what do you think
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by ada24: 8:46pm On Aug 09, 2010
so what are boys meant to be doing in the house

na wah o - and this will be the same boy that will grow up and expect the wife to be joint breadwinner and not help her in the home.

if i have a son he will be taught to cook and tidy the house. wow i wonder - if in 2010 u are asking this that means parents are still rasing boys that do nothing in the home and have their sisters bring them water to wash their hands when they want to eat garri
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by chika98: 9:42pm On Aug 09, 2010
My brother cooks better than most women. What is the big deal about that?
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2010
I sometimes cook, for myself and my wife. It hasn't made me any less a man, my wife adores me for it too. smiley

I guess I've always been pretty independent, when I was single, I didn't rely on anyone to cook for me, that habit of self-sufficiency has remained with me in my married life, and has stood me in good stead.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Meklex(m): 10:49pm On Aug 09, 2010
ada24:

so what are boys meant to be doing in the house

na wah o - and this will be the same boy that will grow up and expect the wife to be joint breadwinner and not help her in the home.

if i have a son he will be taught to cook and tidy the house. wow i wonder - if in 2010 u are asking this that means parents are still rasing boys that do nothing in the home and have their sisters bring them water to wash their hands when they want to eat garri

mind you I know how to cook I just wanna ask if its proper for the boy to do so when d girls are in
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by kieryn(f): 10:53pm On Aug 09, 2010
Yes. It basic skills. Just like learning how to clean around the house and do laundry.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 09, 2010
Meklex:

I know how to cook its just that I want to ask if its proper for the boy to do so when d girls are in

There are no fixed rules, so "proper" hardly comes into it. It's a question of what's reasonable, and what suits you and your partner best.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Meklex(m): 11:01pm On Aug 09, 2010
Siena:

There are no fixed rules, so "proper" hardly comes into it. It's a question of what's reasonable, and what suits you and your partner best.
I mean a boy not a man
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by mutter(f): 11:04pm On Aug 09, 2010
when my second son was about eight I asked him to help me in the kitchen and he surprised me by answering that it was not a boys job.
I told him he was right and called his sister to do it.
When she was through I gave her some money to go shopping for goodies, he immediately jumped in offering to do the shopping because his sister would buy things he did not like. I told him shopping was a woman job. Well she bought all the goodies and was allowed to share them because that was a woman's job too. After having a good cry he promised never to differentiate again.
Any of my boys who feel too man to cook or help in the house is sure going to go hungry.  grin
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Osama10(m): 1:21am On Aug 10, 2010
Why not, I normally cook for my family.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by invisible2(m): 5:08am On Aug 10, 2010
A boy is supposed to learn how to cook but should not be mandated to cook especially when girls are around. But keep the boy busy with more tasking work in the house; fetching water if there is no tap in the house, mowing the lawns, washing the car, minor repairs of any equipment and even laundry.

A boy who knows how to cook and cannot make money for his family is a major flop. A girl that makes high grades and cannot cook will make a bad housewife.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Outstrip(f): 5:44am On Aug 10, 2010
As long as it is proper for them to eat then it is proper for them to cook. Na wa
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Pweety4me(f): 6:20am On Aug 10, 2010
A boy will grow into a man 1 day so y not learn now?
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Nobody: 6:25am On Aug 10, 2010

1 Like

Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 10, 2010
chaircover:

Absolutely. Who will cook for him when he goes to uni & does he expect his wife to cook 365 times a year even when she is ill etc?
No skill is wasted in my opinion & when my daughter is older, I expect my husband to show her how to change a tyre.

Wow! I like that. smiley
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 10, 2010
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Acidosis(m): 11:53am On Aug 10, 2010
I like cooking for my mum. . .
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by giftsong: 11:55am On Aug 10, 2010
Are you kidding me? this is 2010, not 1910. If boys eat at home, they should cook as well.
Cooking is an important life skill that everyone should learn regardless of sex.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Nayah(f): 12:00pm On Aug 10, 2010
Actually, I would 'nt say no if my man tried to help me out on the kicthen as far as it can, and this is not an pb with his manhood but just the will to assist his wife, and I think it's cute enven though he can not cook. But the real issue is to think that because you're a guy the kitchen is forbidden for you, I would be very happy to cook for my beloved but definetely would not accept this "macho" theory of I'm the woman so I should automatically cook, I do it because I like it that's different. wink Now anybody who wants to help me in the kicthen well you're welcome nigerian brothers lol
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Teminio: 12:03pm On Aug 10, 2010
Yes, boys should help out in cooking food. It adds value to a guy when he is domesticated and makes him no less a boy/man.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by VALIDATOR: 12:03pm On Aug 10, 2010
If a boy learns and knows how to cook it will be easier for him to appreciate the time his wife spends cooking latter.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by marcus1234: 12:04pm On Aug 10, 2010
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Vanpee(m): 12:59pm On Aug 10, 2010
Nayah:

Actually, I would 'nt say no if my man tried to help me out on the kicthen as far as it can, and this is not an pb with his manhood but just the will to assist his wife, and I think it's cute enven though he can not cook. But the real issue is to think that because you're a guy the kitchen is forbidden for you, I would be very happy to cook for my beloved but definetely would not accept this "macho" theory of I'm the woman so I should automatically cook, I do it because I like it that's different. wink Now anybody who wants to help me in the kicthen well you're welcome nigerian brothers lol

Ur name, ur post , ur pix everytin looks gr8. But far away in France, hw can I help out in d cookin? Or do u hav a mobile kitchen?
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by kobikwelu(m): 1:08pm On Aug 10, 2010
when i was little, i was taught the basics, like washing plates, fetching water, sweeping the hause,

i have lots of sisters, so most of the times, they are in the kitchen , it does not mean i cant cook, its just that most women take the kitchen as their territory, where they hold sway and have full control,

BTW when i want to eat sumtin special i just stroll into the kitchen and prepare what i want

as parents teach your boys how to do domestic stuff, when they are little, it helps them
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by tpiah: 1:10pm On Aug 10, 2010
@ topic

yes.

though it's true if there are a lot of women in the house [sisters etc], they tend to take over the kitchen.
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Theblessed(f): 1:32pm On Aug 10, 2010
[b][size=18pt]What kind of question is this?  Why not ask us if boys have got mouths, stomachs, hands and legs?  Then the answer would be, nooooooooo!  Therefore, they should not help out in the kitchen rather, they should wait for their slaves to serve them.

I won't let them pull that wool in my eyes. Thank God, I did not raise my children that way.  All are treated equally, there are no favourites. They all work and contribute equally and, there is no boy role or girl role in my house as everyone mucks in - that's how family should.

The Bible say if you don't work, you mustn't eat and that applies in my house. Well, if you don't help out when there is need for you to do so then, don't even think of it. If you don't cook, don't eat!

I mean if their is a need to do so, why not help to relieve the stress on your family as it won't change any thing about you. If your mum or sister is struggling in the kitchen preparing family meal, why not help! And if there are two or three already in the kitchen doing so, why bother - there's no need.  But to say, I'm a guy I shouldn't do this or that - I say, thank your star!

I know from experience, no other man on this planet earth would consider this strange except a Nigerian man and their ego o o o o  o o o o o o o o o o o!  angry angry
[/size][/b]
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by kobikwelu(m): 1:46pm On Aug 10, 2010
^^^^^

i agree with your post except the last paragraph!!!

have you talked with men in other african countries

plsssss stop with the generalization, as if u-nigerian women dont have ur own faults
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by readydad(m): 1:56pm On Aug 10, 2010
Of course since boys have 2 hands and one mouth and usually bigger appetites, they should learn how to cook and take their turns in the kitchen chores. As a kid we rotated the chores equally and my sisters can change sockets and car tires as well as men can wink. My parents believed all skills were to learnt equally for survival in any situation
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by KAYD007(m): 1:58pm On Aug 10, 2010
angrytry  force me to cook in the house especially when there re girls in the house, tht day dem go no how dangote salt dey  really taste like  tongue grin
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Meklex(m): 2:05pm On Aug 10, 2010
kobikwelu:

when i was little, i was taught the basics, like washing plates, fetching water, sweeping the hause,

i have lots of sisters, so most of the times, they are in the kitchen , it does not mean i cant cook, its just that most women take the kitchen as their territory, where they hold sway and have full control,

BTW when i want to eat sumtin special i just stroll into the kitchen and prepare what i want

as parents teach your boys how to do domestic stuff, when they are little, it helps them
WORD!
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by KAYD007(m): 2:10pm On Aug 10, 2010
as boy in the house then, i could sweep, clear the grasses with my alangalanga,fetch water, wash n iron d clothes, wash d cars, why d hell then will i hellep to cook in the midst of all these? angry hell no! no no no! its is not african. me thinks d boy shld  be allowed to cook only when he volunteers . other manly stuffs he can do and perharps he cld be called to  deputize for his dad to taste d dishes u no, tongue grin
Re: Should Boys Help Out In Cooking Food? ? by Meklex(m): 2:14pm On Aug 10, 2010
readydad:

Of course since boys have 2 hands and one mouth and usually bigger appetites, they should learn how to cook and take their turns in the kitchen chores. As a kid we rotated the chores equally and my sisters can change sockets and car tires as well as men can wink. My parents believed all skills were to learnt equally for survival in any situation
topic says the boy can cook only if it is right for him to cook while the girls 'play' around

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See Fresh Octopus From Akwaibom Sea / How Many Remembered And Tasted This Candies (pics) / 4 In 1 Automatic ( Kerosene ) Egg Incubator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.