Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,949 members, 7,828,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos (60849 Views)

Kerosene Explosion Kills One-Year-Old Girl In Anambra (Photos) / Kerosene Explosion Kills Four Family Members In Calabar / Gas Explosion Kills A Lady In Owerri, Injures Her Kids (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by millhouse: 6:29am On Jan 10, 2019
sharpwriter:

You are high on Jamaica weed angry ....after seeing Sister-IN-LAW, yu still dey ask whether she dey single or nt....hw did the in law come to be in the first place?
so if you are married and your wife younger sister in secondary school comes to stay with you .. is she not your sister inlaw ?? abi Na night school you go ?
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Oyindidi(f): 6:36am On Jan 10, 2019
UyaiIncomparabl:

I get same phobia sef. But I'm looking for a better alternative than stove. Electric burner sef na why, that one fit shock.
The one with 4 burners with glass top. It doesn't shock
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by NoToPile: 6:45am On Jan 10, 2019
oweniwe:

Most of those girls don't know how to use gas burner.

Some would turn the switch on first... Before striking match to ignite fine... Imagine 3 match sticks failed with gas also hissing away since... And the 4th match lughts, there bound to be a mini explosion.

Some others will turn the gauge to maximum and then go press phone. Boiling water from what they are cooking would have spilled everywhere

I think this is also a factor, I was taught this as young as 7, you light the match first place it close to the burner and then turn the gas knob.

Some peeps dont know how to put on a gas cooker at all. Never ever turn the knob first. Well thats what I was taught. With auto ignite cookers now it may not really be an issue for those that use them.

The boiling water then puts off the gas flame, gas continues to leak if it leaks for so long everywhere is filled with gas, the ignorant person comes along, cant smell the gas lights a match and Kabooom.

We just need to be more safety conscious most of this accidents are preventable.

2 Likes

Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by VictorRomanov: 6:58am On Jan 10, 2019
labanj1:

That's not the issue. The argument is why would people attribute explosion to the phone when the gas burner is already ignited. Explosion is due to a leak not due to the presence of a phone.

Irrespective of the the source of ignition, there would definitely be a leak before there would be an explosion.

However, If you had followed the thread of our argument, you'd have noticed she said it is not possible because she uses her phone while cooking all the time. That's why I had to reply with that screen shot. One could also argue that they ignite their burners all the time and it has never exploded.

The fact is that gas leakage alone don't cause explosions. There needs to be a source of ignition, be it a lit gas burner or a phone. Don't rule out one and keep the other. And when there is an explosion like this, we may never know which is the cause.
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by raphretle: 7:43am On Jan 10, 2019
Her heavy makeup caused it
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Bluffly: 7:58am On Jan 10, 2019
maasoap:

Leakage can occur anywhere as you rightly put it. But what the guy is saying is that if your cooking gas is already in use, it doesn't make sense to say that the use of phone near the cylinder will now cause explosion again.
Must you wait to Kaboom before you take precaution. Any phone can become defective, infact, most are and a defective phone can create a static electricity.
Simply put, anything that can Kaboom with the gas get rid of it. Mind you, static electricity is 100% raise to 27 dangerous than be burning fire where there is vapour in the air
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Skmoda360(m): 7:58am On Jan 10, 2019
Temidayo9:
No relationship between using a phone and already burning gas. If explosion happened, its due to gas leakage or improper use of the gas, and not from the phone.
You sabi the gizzard my bro...
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by sharpwriter(m): 8:00am On Jan 10, 2019
millhouse:
so if you are married and your wife younger sister in secondary school comes to stay with you .. is she not your sister inlaw ?? abi Na night school you go ?

Guy... I don reason with the person I quoted.... My medulla oblongata never boot well wen I dey reply am..... No vex... One love bro grin

1 Like

Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Rextizzle(m): 8:02am On Jan 10, 2019
Oyindidi:
I summoned courage buy gas but I never fit use am.
You for just sell am buy stove grin
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Ozkar: 8:29am On Jan 10, 2019
Bluffly:

Must you wait to Kaboom before you take precaution. Any phone can become defective, infact, most are and a defective phone can create a static electricity.
Simply put, anything that can Kaboom with the gas get rid of it. Mind you, static electricity is 100% raise to 27 dangerous than be burning fire where there is vapour in the air
hahaha... Don't be silly, static electricity only causes sparks which then COULD cause an explosion. How anyone would claim a tiny spark is several times more likely to cause an explosion than an already existing flame, is beyond the rational mind.

If there is a leakage while cooking, the flames are more likely to cause an explosion than 100 ringing phones in the same area and sparks between a comb and dry harmattan hair. So it is a huge leap of faith to say the phone (or even static electricity) caused it and not the fire already burning at the burner.

Also, static electricity can form between your cloth and skin or between your comb and hair. It's not even a phone thing. Stop peddling ignorance like a typical Nigerian who never reads or researches anything.

You hear there was an explosion while using a phone and while already cooking, and you conclude the phone is the cause. You are even trying to defend the fallacious conclusion with the nonsense about static electricity being more dangerous than na.ked flames.

You know nothing about static electricity and science. You are just a pseud, a Nigerian one.

1 Like

Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 10, 2019
JasonScoolari:

Oga...what has been "jobbed" can be "re-jobbed"

If you know you know!
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by JasonScoolari: 8:59am On Jan 10, 2019
prince3009:

Oga...what has been "jobbed" can be "re-jobbed"

If you know you know!
Prince the Philosopher. Lol. grin

1 Like

Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by mandate12: 9:09am On Jan 10, 2019
pawesome:
it can happen only and only if there is a leakage...SS1 physics tells you that too... So if your cylinder is in good condition, nothing will happen

Don't mind dat dude.. there is no scientific proof of that crap he wrote. Myth bursted!
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by powerblaze(m): 9:09am On Jan 10, 2019
Ayoswit:
I think it's due to gas linkage like someone above stated cos I use my phone while cooking all the time and there hasn't been any explosion. Rip to the beautiful lady.

You won't get a notification the day gas leaks, especially when you don't do regular checks. Better safe than sorry
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by mandate12: 9:11am On Jan 10, 2019
Bluffly:

So what causes explosion when you receive a phone call at the gas station. Do you know that the gas in petroleum is what causes the explosion and not the liquid itself hence why an empty keg of petrol can still ignite fire.
Naked fire isn't same as radiating emission. Do you know that if you've opened your gas to much before igniting your matches, explosion can occur

Myth bursted sir! Phone call, gas station shii..
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Iykenuwa(m): 9:11am On Jan 10, 2019
sod09:
is that all what your brain can produce...too bad nigga

He is right bro.

1 Like

Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by CioAngels(f): 9:22am On Jan 10, 2019
Whether gas leakage or not, we have been told not to operate android phones while using gas. Why is this such a different task for Nigerians to obey? We are such a difficult people to manage because everybody is a boss.
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Temidayo9(m): 9:33am On Jan 10, 2019
mechanics:
There is relationship o, why is it that you don't make calls in a filling station?
Not when filling station was already burning. Think shocked.
Besides how many filling station fire outbreak you know caused by using phone?
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Penywise(m): 9:39am On Jan 10, 2019
I would have died a long time if this was true. I think the gas cylinder has issues.

1 Like

Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by SlyCharlie(m): 10:09am On Jan 10, 2019
Mrlouis:

You make no sense here.. next time read and comprehend.. let me break it down for you.. concerning the incidence in question, there is no first-hand information pointing to the phone as the causative agent.. anyone can say anything.. but that's not the issue.. the debate is can a phone lead to gas explosion.. the answer is yes which can substantiate that the story is true..

Now to the science of it
Propane or butane aka liquefied petroleum gas or domestic cooking gas as we all know it is gaseos and as such stored in metal tanks (cylinders) at high pressure.

The chemistry here is that since its a fuel, it requires ignition upon which we use the heat from it to cook and all what not.. now igniting the gas from the burner (as you well know) requires a lighter or match stick (at least thats conventional) but it would interest you to know that static electricity such as sparks, even your own body, etc could ignite the gas to burn.. yeah

Now since the gas is at high pressure and is very volatile, you would notice that opening your gas cooker without striking a match stick will leave your kitchen pervaded with gas (if you have a good sense of smell) in a very short while.. that gas fume which has escaped is highly inflamable and if the kitchen admits very little ventilation, any little static electricity can ignite the gas leading to an explosive reaction.. yes explosive.. your phone is an electronic device and if there is a generous amount of gas fume within that environment, the handset (not made to be that way) may malfunction, even overheat and could lead to an explosion.

The problem with domestic gas explosions is that, the cylinders most often than not were leaking, and made it possible to ignite.futhermore, upon leakage, it isnt really everyone that smells up gas when its leaking...propane on its own has no distinctive odour, thats why a chemical is mixed with it as a safety measure to aid detection in case of leakage...
fuel+oxygen+ignition and you get yourself fire..in this case, an explosive one..

To be on the safe side, its best to avoid using your phone when using the gas. EOD
Has no one seen the 2000 experiment
where a caravan was dowsed in petrol,
inside and some left in cans with open
tops, which gassed and were enclosed in
a caravan with ample air. (A recipe for
explosion) Inside about 200 mobile
phones, strewn all over at different
heights, of all makes and models. The
phones were all rang at once --- nothing
happened. Over the next 2 hours
phones were rung and texted every ten
minutes, and nothing happened. Finally
a spark was introduce and BANG....
While other things, (static sparks, light
switches, garage door closers, radio
switches, even landline phones can all
cause explosions it seems that mobiles
cannot. I say "seems" -- Of course I was
not there and data can be withheld,
biased or even, god forbid, doctored. It
was ostensibly to show that petrol
stations need not have any fear of
mobile phones. The experiment has not
been done with NG. nor with LPG - One
has to ask "why is that"?
The range of burning for Natural Gas is
between 5% (lel, lower explosive level)
and 20% (uel, upper explosive level) of
air.
The range of petrol is between 1.4% and
7.6% so there is a small cross over of
mixture 5% to 7.6% where both natural
gas and petrol would ignite.
I know that psnc sight mobile phones as
a possible source of ignition and while
there is plenty of data suggesting other
sources will ignite NG within the range
of burning, there is an indication that
the psnc are have no data to prove this
specifically with mobiles and they are
just being cautious when it comes to
mobile phones. If they didn't include
mobile phones as a 'possible' source, it
would leave them wide open to law
suits, so there is a certain amount of
'arse covering' here. The fact is, we
don't know for sure. It's supposition, not
proof. The only proof is a public,
independent test. If you know of such a
test, then point me to it. I'm always
willing to learn. Until then, assume that
a mobile phone will ignite NG. but in a
kitchen there are much more risky
sources like automatic switches, fridge,
boiler, Electric heaters, light switches,
burglar alarms, cameras, movement
detectors, washing machine and dish
washers, all of which may be set to
come on while we are asleep, etc. So
let's worry about REAL concerns shall
we?...
I'm done here..
https://www.quora.com/Can-cell-phone-usage-in-the-kitchen-area-cause-gas-explosion-where-there-is-gas-leakage
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by mechanics(m): 11:34am On Jan 10, 2019
Temidayo9:
Not when filling station was already burning. Think shocked. Besides how many filling station fire outbreak you know caused by using phone?
Go and do your research well o, you remember safety first.
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by UrVillagePpl: 12:08pm On Jan 10, 2019
Ayoswit:
I think it's due to gas linkage like someone above stated cos I use my phone while cooking all the time and there hasn't been any explosion. Rip to the beautiful lady.

hanty just take precaution..

to avoid unforseen circumstances...
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by maasoap(m): 12:12pm On Jan 10, 2019
Bluffly:

Now, the issue is not the phone but to be vigilant about the leakage. Because if there is a leakage and you didn't take your phone to the kitchen, once you are not aware of the leakage, there will still be Kaboom once you light up the burner.
I don't know why people are shouting about the phone when we should be talking about detection of leakages and odour of the gas. If there is no leakages, phone can't cause explosion. If there is leakage, match stick or burner spark will do the job even if the phone is miles away from the kitchen
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Bluffly: 12:27pm On Jan 10, 2019
Ozkar:
hahaha... Don't be silly, static electricity only causes sparks which then COULD cause an explosion. How anyone would claim a tiny spark is several times more likely to cause an explosion than an already existing flame, is beyond the rational mind.

If there is a leakage while cooking, the flames are more likely to cause an explosion than 100 ringing phones in the same area and sparks between a comb and dry harmattan hair. So it is a huge leap of faith to say the phone (or even static electricity) caused it and not the fire already burning at the burner.

Also, static electricity can form between your cloth and skin or between your comb and hair. It's not even a phone thing. Stop peddling ignorance like a typical Nigerian who never reads or researches anything.

You hear there was an explosion while using a phone and while already cooking, and you conclude the phone is the cause. You are even trying to defend the fallacious conclusion with the nonsense about static electricity being more dangerous than na.ked flames.

You know nothing about static electricity and science. You are just a pseud, a Nigerian one.
It is quite unfortunate that you can't express your self without insulting. What a Shame
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Ozkar: 1:18pm On Jan 10, 2019
CioAngels:
Whether gas leakage or not, we have been told not to operate android phones while using gas. Why is this such a different task for Nigerians to obey? We are such a difficult people to manage because everybody is a boss.
why? Because the Android OS is a lighter abi?

You were told, by whom?
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Ozkar: 1:22pm On Jan 10, 2019
Bluffly:

It is quite unfortunate that you can't express your self without insulting. What a Shame
if you see "don't be silly" or "pseud" as insults, good for you and your 'oversensitivity'. That wouldn't stop others from calling you out on your fallacies and incorrect assertions.
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Ozkar: 1:27pm On Jan 10, 2019
maasoap:

Now, the issue is not the phone but to be vigilant about the leakage. Because if there is a leakage and you didn't take your phone to the kitchen, once you are not aware of the leakage, there will still be Kaboom once you light up the burner.
I don't know why people are shouting about the phone when we should be talking about detection of leakages and odour of the gas. If there is no leakages, phone can't cause explosion. If there is leakage, match stick or burner spark will do the job even if the phone is miles away from the kitchen
well said

1 Like

Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Phyde: 2:47pm On Jan 10, 2019
OldBeer:
Another illiterate forming educated.
Just look at the nonsense.
Ogbomosho scientist
You are wicked grin grin grin
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by labanj1(m): 3:06pm On Jan 10, 2019
VictorRomanov:

Irrespective of the the source of ignition, there would definitely be a leak before there would be an explosion.

However, If you had followed the thread of our argument, you'd have noticed she said it is not possible because she uses her phone while cooking all the time. That's why I had to reply with that screen shot. One could also argue that they ignite their burners all the time and it has never exploded.

The fact is that gas leakage alone don't cause explosions. There needs to be a source of ignition, be it a lit gas burner or a phone. Don't rule out one and keep the other. And when there is an explosion like this, we may never know which is the cause.
Why wouldn't you know the cause, the cause is a leak. There is a burner already ignited, except you're saying a phone would cause an explosion faster than an already ignited burner. In this case you cannot attribute that explosion to a phone. A phone rarely causes sparks, so why would you attribute it to a phone, when there is a burner ignited already.
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Bluffly: 3:53pm On Jan 10, 2019
Ozkar:
if you see "don't be silly" or "pseud" as insults, good for you and your 'oversensitivity'. That wouldn't stop others from calling you out on your fallacies and incorrect assertions.
You are welcome. You can go ahead and use your phone touch light to fill fuel into your Generator tank, you can as well put it by your nuzzle to check if the fuel is actually entering your tank. Bye and have a nice evening
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Ozkar: 5:15pm On Jan 10, 2019
Bluffly:

You are welcome. You can go ahead and use your phone touch light to fill fuel into your Generator tank, you can as well put it by your nuzzle to check if the fuel is actually entering your tank. Bye and have a nice evening
another Strawman argument, oh lord of Fallacies. Nice attempt at making up a stance for me and arguing against the made up stance.

The only reason I bothered quoting you in the first place was because you asserted that "a phone is far more likely to cause an explosion with cooking gas than the flame already burning". That bit is nonsense.

Bye.
Re: Gas Explosion Kills Lady 'Operating Her Phone While Cooking With Gas' In Lagos by Bluffly: 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2019
Ozkar:
another Strawman argument, oh lord of Fallacies. Nice attempt at making up a stance for me and arguing against the made up stance.

The only reason I bothered quoting you in the first place was because you asserted that "a phone is far more likely to cause an explosion with cooking gas than the flame already burning". That bit is nonsense.

Bye.
You are welcome

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Man Commits Suicide After 18-Year-Old New Wife Deprived Him Of Sex / Edo Records First Coronavirus Case: 35 Cases Now Confirmed In Nigeria / Doctors Say Coronavirus Can Spread Through Farts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.