Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? (3330 Views)

Used Original Solar Panel Inverter (poly) 120Watts / Swap Phone With Laptop + Cash / How To Find A Stolen Or Missing Phone With Android Device Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Finelinks: 5:28pm On Jan 14, 2019
Is it possible to use just the two to charge phones without a battery.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by KlasysTech(m): 7:14pm On Jan 14, 2019
Only yes, if the solar panel is portable small one & the voltage of the controller never pass 5 voltage
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Finelinks: 8:09pm On Jan 14, 2019
KlasysTech:
Only yes, if the solar panel is portable small one & the voltage of the controller never pass 5 voltage

I hate those small ones. I feel they are not efficient.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by acorntree(m): 7:52am On Jan 15, 2019
yes. just connect DC to DC converter and adjust the output voltage to 5V. but make sure your DC to DC converter can accommodate your solar panel output voltage 18v to 40v for 300w panel.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Finelinks: 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2019
acorntree:
yes. just connect DC to DC converter and adjust the output voltage to 5V. but make sure your DC to DC converter can accommodate your solar panel output voltage 18v to 40v for 300w panel.

But some charge controllers have usb port?

I wouldn't risk the 5 volts thing too because my phone might explode if it exceeds, that's assuming the dc-dc converter isn't accurate.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by acorntree(m): 1:32pm On Jan 15, 2019
Finelinks:

But some charge controllers have usb port?

I wouldn't risk the 5 volts thing too because my phone might explode if it exceeds, that's assuming the dc-dc converter isn't accurate.

then use DC to 5v converter if you're afraid of making mistakes with DC to DC converter adjustment. buy something like this below. first picture is DC to 5v converter , input voltage is 9v -- 18v, so it can be used with most solar panel with 50w to 150w , 18v output . the second pix is pwm charge controller with USB port for phone charging , you cant use this without a battery. it will burn out the circuit if connected directly to solar panel.

if you don't have access to any of these just buy car phone charger and use 100 ohm 5w resistor in series with +line, when connecting to the solar panel. but take note of the polarity+&-. but most car charger can only trickle charge that is slow in charging unless you can get 3A, 5v type.

1 Like

Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Finelinks: 9:54pm On Jan 15, 2019
acorntree:

then use DC to 5v converter if you're afraid of making mistakes with DC to DC converter adjustment. buy something like this below. first picture is DC to 5v converter , input voltage is 9v -- 18v, so it can be used with most solar panel with 50w to 150w , 18v output . the second pix is pwm charge controller with USB port for phone charging , you cant use this without a battery. it will burn out the circuit if connected directly to solar panel.

if you don't have access to any of these just buy car phone charger and use 100 ohm 5w resistor in series with +line, when connecting to the solar panel. but take note of the polarity+&-. but most car charger can only trickle charge that is slow in charging unless you can get 3A, 5v type.

Chai i for go school oo.
I go chop my fees.

Na electricity abi NEPA you study sir shocked cool

Thanks.

I understand upto car charger polarity
But wonder what a resistor will be doing.

Can i buy a panel and connect a car charger to it?

Can it work?
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by acorntree(m): 8:39am On Jan 16, 2019
Finelinks:

Chai i for go school oo.
I go chop my fees.

Na electricity abi NEPA you study sir shocked cool

Thanks.

I understand upto car charger polarity
But wonder what a resistor will be doing.

Can i buy a panel and connect a car charger to it?

Can it work?

the resistor is to limit the current that flows into the car charger but depends on the maximum output voltage from the solar panel. when you buy the solar panel measure the open circuit voltage in bright sunlight and let me know the value.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Finelinks: 5:35am On Jan 17, 2019
acorntree:

the resistor is to limit the current that flows into the car charger but depends on the maximum output voltage from the solar panel. when you buy the solar panel measure the open circuit voltage in bright sunlight and let me know the value.

I went to one solar shop yesterday.
There are just few here.

The owner of the shop had a dc fan on.

His set up was 40ah battery, One small charge controller, and an 80w panel.

He charges phones from the charge controllercontroller's 2 usb ports.

He isn't knowledgeable enough, maybe he is just a marketer.

Now it seems i may need a smaller set up.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Finelinks: 5:42am On Jan 17, 2019
acorntree:

My questions now please:

1. Can panels be too much for a battery?

Will 200w solar panel be too much for say 18ah-40ah battery? Will say 70w panel be too small?

2. What's the smallest charge controller Ahms range.?
Which brand do you think is best.?

3.How do I know a good deep cycle battery. For example 18ah to 40ahms.?

Any brand?

Thanks.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by acorntree(m): 7:02am On Jan 17, 2019
Finelinks:

My questions now please:

1. Can panels be too much for a battery?

Will 200w solar panel be too much for say 18ah-40ah battery? Will say 70w panel be too small?

2. What's the smallest charge controller Ahms range.?
Which brand do you think is best.?

3.How do I know a good deep cycle battery. For example 18ah to 40ahms.?

Any brand?

Thanks.

Answers
I. No, solar panel capacity may not be too much for the battery but it depends on your time of usage. 200w panel will quickly charged a fully drained 40ah within short time during the day and is left fallow doing nothing again. this is waste of resources If you consider cost of this panel but if the system is to be used during day I.e powering your devices and at same time charging, its perfectly ok.

II. There are different types of charge controller. there is PWM type and MPPT type. MPPT type are more expensive than PWM type. For smaller setup, for phone charging ,powering DC fan , lamp I recommend PWM type. 10ah PWM is around 3k in alaba .The one shown in my initial post is PWM which has been in service for over two yes now. its rated 20ah 12v/24v. it s charging algorithm is perfectly OK.

III. the weakest part of any solar system is the battery. be cautious when buying battery, only reliable source can guarantees good battery. too many fake battery with low capacity. The only way to know the quality of a battery is by testing with lead acid battery capacity meter or analyser any other means is trial and error.
Also date of manufacture of battery also matters.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Finelinks: 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2019
Acorntree

Thanks so much for indulging me.

I have learnt a lot.

What battery capacity can the 10ah pwm handle?
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by acorntree(m): 3:45pm On Jan 17, 2019
Finelinks:
Acorntree

Thanks so much for indulging me.

I have learnt a lot.

What battery capacity can the 10ah pwm handle?

single panel can charge up to 100ah using 10ah controller. but will take 10hrs assuming your panel can supply up to 10a. for 2 or more panel connected in parallel its not advisable to use PWM 10ah.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Finelinks: 4:06pm On Jan 18, 2019
acorntree:

single panel can charge up to 100ah using 10ah controller. but will take 10hrs assuming your panel can supply up to 10a. for 2 or more panel connected in parallel its not advisable to use PWM 10ah.

Ok thanks
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by dreamwords: 1:08pm On Jan 26, 2019
acorntree:

Answers
I. No, solar panel capacity may not be too much for the battery but it depends on your time of usage. 200w panel will quickly charged a fully drained 40ah within short time during the day and is left fallow doing nothing again. this is waste of resources If you consider cost of this panel but if the system is to be used during day I.e powering your devices and at same time charging, its perfectly ok.

II. There are different types of charge controller. there is PWM type and MPPT type. MPPT type are more expensive than PWM type. For smaller setup, for phone charging ,powering DC fan , lamp I recommend PWM type. 10ah PWM is around 3k in alaba .The one shown in my initial post is PWM which has been in service for over two yes now. its rated 20ah 12v/24v. it s charging algorithm is perfectly OK.

III. the weakest part of any solar system is the battery. be cautious when buying battery, only reliable source can guarantees good battery. too many fake battery with low capacity. The only way to know the quality of a battery is by testing with lead acid battery capacity meter or analyser any other means is trial and error.
Also date of manufacture of battery also matters.

Solar panel can be too much for a battery , and there is panel limit for every battery bank and type, don't fry your battery
Don't charge your deep cycle battery too fast or you will destroy the cells, means you will be replacing your battery so sooner than required,
Charge rate is 10% of rated battery capacity
Unless Trojan battery that can take up to 15%of rated capacity
,you need to make more research to avoid damaging you expensive battery bank
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Contumely: 6:52am On Jan 30, 2019
dreamwords:

Solar panel can be too much for a battery , and there is panel limit for every battery bank and type, don't fry your battery
Don't charge your deep cycle battery too fast or you will destroy the cells, means you will be replacing your battery so sooner than required,
Charge rate is 10% of rated battery capacity
Unless Trojan battery that can take up to 15%of rated capacity
,you need to make more research to avoid damaging you expensive battery bank

Won't the charge controller manage it well?

Acorntree
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by acorntree(m): 4:38pm On Jan 30, 2019
Contumely:

Acorntree
That will be handled by good solar charge contoller
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by dreamwords: 7:52pm On Jan 30, 2019
Contumely:

Acorntree
L
It can but you need to put the right panels size for your battery size, to avoid damage to the battery,
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Contumely: 12:49pm On Feb 03, 2019
dreamwords:
L
It can but you need to put the right panels size for your battery size, to avoid damage to the battery,

Thanks
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by anu3: 12:47pm On Sep 16, 2023
Finelinks:

I went to one solar shop yesterday.
There are just few here.

The owner of the shop had a dc fan on.

His set up was 40ah battery, One small charge controller, and an 80w panel.

He charges phones from the charge controllercontroller's 2 usb ports.

He isn't knowledgeable enough, maybe he is just a marketer.

Now it seems i may need a smaller set up.

For just phone and Usbs... All you need is a 80/100/150 watts (must be 12-24 volts), car charger for phone (for better results, get a quality one like those with 2 or 3 USB ports), and a good phone power bank.

It's better to charge power bank directly using this process—charging phones directly with a panel may damage the phone/it's battery due to fluctuations of the sun.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Noah13: 2:42am On Nov 21, 2023
What would I need for this setup?
anu3:

For just phone and Usbs... All you need is a 80/100/150 watts (must be 12-24 volts), car charger for phone (for better results, get a quality one like those with 2 or 3 USB ports), and a good phone power bank.

It's better to charge power bank directly using this process—charging phones directly with a panel may damage the phone/it's battery due to fluctuations of the sun.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by anu3: 9:22pm On Nov 21, 2023
Noah13:
What would I need for this setup?

A solar panel and a good car phone charger.
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Noah13: 11:00pm On Nov 21, 2023
anu3:

A solar panel and a good car phone charger.
Can I see a picture of the charger in question?
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by anu3: 8:17pm On Nov 22, 2023
Noah13:

Can I see a picture of the charger in question?

Here...

Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by Noah13: 9:52pm On Nov 22, 2023
anu3:

Here...
Will any car charger work as long as it looks like this or there's a specific rating? I'm also wondering what the wiring will look like for this setup
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by anu3: 9:03am On Nov 23, 2023
Noah13:
Will any car charger work as long as it looks like this or there's a specific rating? I'm also wondering what the wiring will look like for this setup

Any will work... But I prefer bigger or more quality ones for better performance or faster charging—maybe around 2 or 3k. Especially the ones with 2 or more USB ports.

It's simple wiring, just that it's long enough all the way from the panel outside... I use the regular standard wire (grey/light blue colour) for house wiring.

Note, I don't recommend charging a phone directly this way—direct panel with a car charger, cos the sun goes up and down. A powerbank is ideal to charge directly instead, then use it to charge a phone. I could charge others directly like portable fans etc except my phone.

I think a previous phone began to overheat as a result direct charging with a panel... Hence, a battery/powerbank or inverter setup is ideal for phones. Except one doesn't care very much about the phone... Like touch light phones...
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by lovediehatelive(m): 5:37pm On Mar 05
acorntree:

Thanks for your input.

Please this charge controller that has USB port, does it affect phone?

Like Will it affect phone battery life or something similar?

Thanks

Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by acorntree(m): 9:13pm On Mar 05
lovediehatelive:

Thanks for your input.

Please this charge controller that has USB port, does it affect phone?

Like Will it affect phone battery life or something similar?

Thanks
. No, it won't affect phone battery life but not a fast charger , very slow in charging
Re: Can I Charge My Phone With A Solar Panel And A Charge Controller Only? by lovediehatelive(m): 11:46pm On Mar 05
acorntree:
. No, it won't affect phone battery life but not a fast charger , very slow in charging

Thanks.

So far it won't affect the phone, no problem.

No inverter for now, the charge controller, battery and panel is what has been sustaining me

(1) (Reply)

This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! / *~ Dual Core Voted Best Computers/Internet Poster Of The Year*~ / How To Unlock Multilinks Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.