Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,956 members, 7,814,242 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki (27269 Views)

A Visit To Nike Art Gallery Nigeria. (photos, Video) / (NOSA PEN ART) My Art Gallery. / GALLANTCREATIVE DESIGN GALLERY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:01am On Jan 18, 2019
Just before 2018 wrapped up for me, I decided to check the Nike Art Gallery box off my bucket list of 'places to visit in Lagos'. I spoke to few of my friends I thought might be interested in coming and two gave me their words, which was enough for me. We decided on a convenient date and time for the trip smiley.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:02am On Jan 18, 2019
So on Saturday 15th December 2018, we set out from our various locations on the mainland to meet at the CMS bus stop. When the three of us had gotten there, we boarded a bus to Lekki and about 18 minutes later, we reached our drop off point where the gallery is located (Ikate 3rd roundabout, lekki-epe expressway). Looking towards the right on the other side of the express was the Nike art gallery road where the building stood out, a white storey building which looks like a typical Santorini, Greece architecture. We walked down to the gallery which took less than 3 minutes.

<Screenshot of the gallery on Google maps>

lalasticlala

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:03am On Jan 18, 2019
Right from the exterior of the building, we were greeted with several sculptures which extended further inside and around the gallery's premises.

<Right outside the gallery's building>

<Entrance of the building>

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:05am On Jan 18, 2019
On getting inside main gallery, we were stunned by the glory of numerous art displayed there.
Right from the ground floor up to the last fourth floor of the building (which is visible from the design of the gallery) was art and the sight was overwhelming ❤️.

11 Likes

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:07am On Jan 18, 2019
The lady at the reception welcomed us and gave us a very short information about the gallery and rules to keep while inside, which includes:

-Entry is free

-Gallery is open everyday of the week (7/7) from 10am-6pm

-The gallery boasts of 8000+ art works, making it the biggest in West Africa.

-No professional camera

-Every piece of artwork displayed is for sale

-Taking pictures of the art displays isn't permitted unless one is in the picture.

-Feel free and have fun wink

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:08am On Jan 18, 2019
Confused on which floor or where to begin with, we initially went different ways, walking around to view displays that appealed to our eyes. We rejoined after our individual sojourns to take pictures and view the rest of the gallery together.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:11am On Jan 18, 2019
There was breathtaking art everywhere, literally everywhere !

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:13am On Jan 18, 2019
The collection is so massive (8000+) that they can't all be displayed in the massive four storey building of the gallery. This makes some art works stacked and stored away in some rooms.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:14am On Jan 18, 2019
The display boasts of various forms of paintings such as water color, pencil and ink on paper, acrylic painting, etc.

I also spotted a couple display of realism, constructivism Impressionism, surrealism and a host of other forms of art I couldn't accurately identify. And it's a proud thing to say they're all 100% original works by Nigerian artists.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:18am On Jan 18, 2019
To reiterate how rich the gallery is in terms of collections, various works on display are regularly replaced by the ones stored/new ones to give visitors a different experience of the sanctuary everytime they visit.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:18am On Jan 18, 2019
Nike Art gallery is owned by the incredibly talented chief Mrs Nike Davies Okundaye, a 68 year old renowned artist and fashion designer who has dedicated her life to telling the African story through her works. I remember reading about how Mrs Okundaye didn't receive much formal art education growing up after she dropped out of school due to lack of funds to support her education. She still defied all odds to carve a niche for herself and today she is globally recognised for her efforts. She has been featured on several documentaries on CNN, CNBC, Al-Jazeera, etc and even lectured in the prestigious Harvard University.

<Chief Mrs Nike>

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:20am On Jan 18, 2019
We had the rare privilege to take a picture with Mrs Nike after bumping into her while we were lost in her world of exhibitionism.
Mama is known for her unique head gears and assorted African wears she's always donning. We were a bit bummed she wasn't on her 'gele' today sad but meeting this legend was enough for us today.

Onyedika007 grin

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:21am On Jan 18, 2019
Going through the gallery and admiring the incredible displays, I thought these works won't go for cheap so I went on www.nikeart.com to confirm my guess.

You now have the link, check it yaself grin grin.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:22am On Jan 18, 2019
Since we couldn't afford them, we decided to at least have fun and take pishures cool.

We weren't able to take enough pictures because almost every art we saw held our gaze, speaking the rich African lifestyle and culture to our minds.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:24am On Jan 18, 2019
The gallery pays alot of homage to Lagos through various visuals depicting the typical daily life of Lagosians.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:27am On Jan 18, 2019
We were so fascinated by the place that we didn't realise we've been inside the gallery for almost four hours (lol). And it was time to go.

Reluctantly, we had to leave the haven with a mutually agreed plan of a revisit cheesy.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:32am On Jan 18, 2019
Before we left the premises, we couldn't resist taking a few more shots outside the gallery where the café is situated with a couple of interesting displays.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:35am On Jan 18, 2019
We departed and took a returning bus back to CMS and from there, boarded different buses back to our various destinations.

Visiting the Nike Art Gallery promises an unforgettable experience for any art lover. Personally, the visit made me appreciate art more and feel proud of being African.
There are a couple of other galleries on the island and I intend to visit some of them too.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 9:37am On Jan 18, 2019
I hope to kick start this 2019, checking off more places off my bucket list beginning with a full day's trip to the Lekki Conservation Center in a few weeks smiley.

Cc lalasticlala Dominique mynd44 seun explorers
Amakavula

While at it, you can read about my other trips below;

1. Hiking through the Snake Island:

https://www.nairaland.com/5256746/hiking-experience-snake-island

2. Lekki conservation center (LCC):
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/25/about-our-trip-to-the-lekki-conservation-center-lcc/

3. Nike art gallery :
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/18/everything-art-about-our-visit-to-the-nike-art-gallery/

4. Johnson Jakande Tinubu (JJT) Park, Ikeja:
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/24/a-visit-to-johnson-jakande-tinubu-jjt-recreational-park/

5 Freedom Park: (formerly Her Majesty's Broad Street Prison) :
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/09/prison-to-park-a-solo-trip-to-freedom-park-formerly-her-majestys-broad-street-prison/

6. Tarkwa Bay Beach:
https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/2019/12/24/sand-water-and-fun-a-day-at-tarkwa-bay-beach/

And follow us on
IG: @20somethingsteps

and visit our blog: https://20somethingsteps.travel.blog/ to read other about other trips follow up on future ones.

We made a video of our trip. Please watch, like and subscribe to our page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2d4RDXONX4

Ciao

Cc: Explorers , lalasticlala , Dominique , Mynd44 ,DisGuy , justwise , erad , prof800

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by masterpiecer(m): 2:09pm On Jan 18, 2019
This is breathtaking (for me).
African art is rich and captivating.
I will surely pay a visit this year by God's grace

7 Likes

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by monimekaz(m): 3:56pm On Jan 18, 2019
God bless the legendary woman

11 Likes

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by frankfab(m): 5:42pm On Jan 18, 2019
That's interesting. I love tourism

4 Likes

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by nonye6194: 11:44am On Jan 19, 2019
nonye6194:
Just before 2018 wrapped up for me, I decided to check the Nike Art Gallery box off my bucket list of 'places to visit in Lagos'. I spoke to few of my friends I thought might be interested in coming and two gave me their words, which was enough for me. We decided on a convenient date and time for the trip smiley.

Lalasticlala

Lalasticlala see front page material. There's no snake here grin but educational

4 Likes

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by itiswellandwell: 4:37pm On Jan 19, 2019
It's such a nice place

1 Like

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by seunmohmoh(f): 4:38pm On Jan 19, 2019
I will visit there soon.

4 Likes

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by officialJP(m): 4:38pm On Jan 19, 2019
I see pre wedding photos, nice couple grin grin

6 Likes

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2019
It's neat

1 Like

Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by Aplaudez(m): 4:40pm On Jan 19, 2019
God bless your handwork! please who can help with age rough sketch of a photo studio, am in OYO state! I'll send you any amount you want!
Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by noble71(m): 4:40pm On Jan 19, 2019
Wow! This lovely!

Meanwhile Op that babe by your side is my old time friend, can I have her number?
Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by Ibcrown(m): 4:41pm On Jan 19, 2019
THe babe go well sha! Money man is here
Re: About Our Visit To Nike Art Gallery, Lekki by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 19, 2019
It deserves more visitors.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Best Graphic Artist: View / Meet Anthonia Nneji Chinasa: Painting Her Way To History / Steps To Resize Your Passport Photograph For Neco & Waec Gce Online Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.