Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,679 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video (16634 Views)

ENUGU Airport Terminal Building What Ignorant Minds Dosen't Know(photos ) / Ondo State's Sunshine Travels: 8 Things You Should Know (Photos) / The Proposed Oshodi-Abule Egba BRT Route: 11 Things To Know (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by AutoReportNG: 2:54pm On Jan 18, 2019
Ever been in an airport before and you see the firefighter truck spraying water on a plane? The first time I witnessed such, I thought the plane caught fire! Poor me, little did I know that the plane is being given what the aviation gurus call a Water Salute!

In Nigeria, we have had cases where the firefighters department give Water Salute to new aircraft across the airports in Nigeria

The water salute is a touching airport tradition to honor military veterans, foreign dignitaries and new airline service. Salutes typically involve two firefighting rigs spraying arcs of water over an arriving or departing flight. It is a sign of respect, honor and gratitude. Each water cannon salute, which lasts about two minutes, can use as much as 3,000 gallons of water, so it does involve airport fire department resources.

[img]https://4.bp..com/-CnNAjaaSDok/XEHV1PhKoPI/AAAAAAAAXcg/1CT-vUltUKk3BtNbNvTP0nIsNlGzduDOQCEwYBhgL/s1600/2.jpg[/img]

A water salute consists of placing an even number of ARFF vehicles, namely crash tenders with powerful water cannons, on each side of a taxiway, pumping water to create a high arch. It can also be performed by three vehicles forming a triangle, with their water cannons’ stream meeting at the center.

At an airport, typically an even number of vehicles will line up perpendicularly on the sides of the taxiway or apron, and the plumes of water will form a series of arches. Symbolically, the procession looks similar to a bridal party walking under a wedding arch or the saber arch at a military wedding.

Water salutes have been used to mark the retirement of a senior pilot or air traffic controller, the first or last flight of an airline to an airport, the first or last flight of a type of aircraft, or other notable events. When the Concorde flew its last flight from John F. Kennedy International Airport, blue, white and red coloured plumes were used. United States President Donald Trump received a water salute on his first departure from LaGuardia Airport after winning the presidential election in 2016.

Water salutes are also used for ships and other watercraft, with water being delivered by fireboats. This is often done for the first or last visit or retirement of a senior captain, the first or last cruise of a ship, the visit of a warship, or other ceremonial occasions.

Here are the main reasons for giving a water salute:

- For a new airline company operating out of the airport for the first time;
- For a new airplane operating commercially for the first time;
- If the Captain of the airplane or an ATC member is retiring;
- If the airline is closing down the route and its the last flight of that airline from that particular airport.

The Salute

- An even number of fire engines line up along the runway to perform the salute.
- Another way of performing the salute by forming a triangle with the water beams coinciding at the center.
- An airport should have a sufficient number of fire engines available so that they can respond to emergencies that may take place in any other part of the airport.

It is interesting to note that water salute is not unique to airplanes alone and it is also given for ships as well.

No one knows exactly when and where did water salutes in airports start. It is well known, though, that back to the days of the ocean liners it was common for fireboats to tugsto spray them with their water cannons when they were leaving or entering a port.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-gkd3Si4sxnA/XEHV7m7XD0I/AAAAAAAAXcg/x6SZ3WLzL_oMphjKKmxl_RF9G5cSmDrJQCEwYBhgL/s1600/4.jpg[/img]

Watch the video below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Q1DhaCipo

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/01/water-salute-tradition-these-are-what.html

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by AutoReportNG: 2:54pm On Jan 18, 2019
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by Sirmuel1(m): 2:59pm On Jan 18, 2019
Nice one
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by jabolo(m): 4:10pm On Jan 18, 2019
When Abuja airport was closed in 2017, Ethiopian Airlines was one of the only foreign airlines that diverted flights to Kaduna. Out of gratitude, given most of the other foreign airlines were boycotting the route, the airport welcomed the first flight with a water salute...

https://twitter.com/flyethiopian/status/840230781733740548

16 Likes

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by AutoReportNG: 11:26am On Jan 19, 2019
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by zeke100(m): 11:54am On Jan 19, 2019
Wow, Informative. Thank you op, at least I learnt something today.

Bring your gifts cards for fast credit alerts... AMAZON OVERSCRATCHED CARDS STILL NEEDED.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by wakes: 11:54am On Jan 19, 2019
ok
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by freemanbubble: 11:55am On Jan 19, 2019
Isokay
Ethiopian airlines
Remember my little sister used that flight last week when she was heading to Oman
But she said the flight stoped at addisababa before heading to Oman

Have never been into a flight
zomoears:

I remember this.

Recently an all female crew were honored at Abuja

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/07/04/air-peace-operates-all-female-flight/%3famp

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by miracle956: 11:56am On Jan 19, 2019
v
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by dayleke: 11:56am On Jan 19, 2019
Which water for Naija? Water wey never dey to quench fire for burning building....
Abegi joor....
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by MorataFC: 11:57am On Jan 19, 2019
AutoReportNG:
Whats your take?
my take is no get water for house presently

1 Like

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by Triangles1(m): 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2019
I thought it was to reduced the heat from the plane not to catch fire.

3 Likes

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by folak48: 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2019
Quite educative and interesting.

1 Like

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by zomoears(m): 12:02pm On Jan 19, 2019
jabolo:
When Abuja airport was closed in 2017, Ethiopian Airlines was one of the only foreign airlines that diverted flights to Kaduna. Out of gratitude, given most of the other foreign airlines were boycotting the route, the airport welcomed the first flight with a water salute...

https://twitter.com/flyethiopian/status/840230781733740548

I remember this.

Recently an all female crew were honored at Abuja

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/07/04/air-peace-operates-all-female-flight/%3famp
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by kayzat: 12:09pm On Jan 19, 2019
AutoReportNG:
Whats your take?

In as much as I'm not disputing your fact but I have seeing where that water salute was done to prevent fire outbreak on a cargo airplane.

The cargo plane landed at the cargo tarman of the MMIA with smoke from the back and the firefighters hurriedly assemble to quench the fire. It's my first time of witnessing that and I thought the plane will explode
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by kayzat: 12:10pm On Jan 19, 2019
Triangles1:
I thought it was to reduced the heat from the plane not to catch fire.

Yes I once witnessed when it was done to prevent fire outbreak on the airplane
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by itiswellandwell: 12:11pm On Jan 19, 2019
Educative
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by Passionate888: 12:24pm On Jan 19, 2019
I never even near airport before, except when they were using airforce Base in Port Harcourt then.

1 Like

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by ehissi(m): 12:25pm On Jan 19, 2019
Make them still borrow me small water abeg! BEDC no bring light, we no fit pump water, make I use am flush toilet....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by BabaIbo: 12:28pm On Jan 19, 2019
OK noted
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by Hotfreezer: 12:30pm On Jan 19, 2019
freemanbubble:
Isokay
Ethiopian airlines
Remember my little sister used that flight last week when she was heading to Oman
But she said the flight stoped at addisababa before heading to Oman

Have never been into a flight
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by Racoon(m): 12:32pm On Jan 19, 2019
cheesy Nice airport tradition from antiquity.I hope to personally witness this nostalgic event sometime someday.
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by IYANGBALI: 12:34pm On Jan 19, 2019
All na ritual Jo. If you know, you know

1 Like

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by kingchris30(m): 12:35pm On Jan 19, 2019
this is educative, I am hearing this for the first time
Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by alizma: 1:05pm On Jan 19, 2019
thanks for the info. make I no go jump from the window one day only to realized after a broken leg that there was no need jumping in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by seunny4lif(m): 1:16pm On Jan 19, 2019
I thought they always use the water to cool down the planes ni ooooooh
Maybe the planes are too hot after long hours flights grin

Bush boy like me grin

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by gantic: 1:26pm On Jan 19, 2019
Experienced it on Ethiopian's first A350 flight into Lagos airport. In addition, bonus miles were given to all passengers, Ethiopian Lagos management were present at the sky bridge to welcome passengers and a card was presented to all passengers. It was a spanking new plane, flight also had Boeing staff and someone from the flight navigation system company.

1 Like

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by femi4: 1:38pm On Jan 19, 2019
I guess that's where Nigerian students got inspiration from. Giving water salutes to final year students after writing their last paper

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by Shania2015(f): 1:44pm On Jan 19, 2019
(NOTED) but here in Europe during winter this chemical mixtures which consists of Gycol and water
is being heated and sprayed on all flights in a very high pressure to remove ice and snow on the wings
and surface of the aircraft,to enable good lift and airflow on the surface during takeoff.

4 Likes

Re: Water Salute Tradition: These Are What You Need To Know - Photos & Video by Itannooluwa(f): 1:50pm On Jan 19, 2019
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Auto Crash Claims Three Lives On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway / How Many Countries & States In Nigeria Have You Been To? / 2 Dead, 8 Injured In An Accident Along Akure-owo Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.