Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Is This What Your Religion Taught You? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is This What Your Religion Taught You? (1713 Views)

Odumeje: I'm Not Educated; How God Taught Me To Read And Speak English (Video) / What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know / Hey Christians, How Much Can You Really Say To Defend Your Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 6:59pm On Jan 21, 2019
Few minutes ago, I stumbled upon a post on nairaland (an old post) about a guy who renders menial services to people in his community. He disclosed his religious views in a whatsapp group of the community when a conversation about their God was going on. That action of his changes the way they looked at him, the number of jobs he received decreased drastically and survival for him was tough.
This same religious discussion also happened where I worked and when I aired my atheistic views, I looked like an outcast because I was the only atheist there, my boss even threatened to sack me the next day (I guess she was joking) she also said she will tell her husband about it it. Many of my coworkers said they hear that one doesn't believe in God only in movies and they're very surprised they could still find someone like this in reality, they looked at me like a bad person and their perspective about me changed.
I want to know if your religion taught you to be like this, turning people to bad people because of their belief system or sorta.
I'm sure atheists don't act this way because if we are like this, I'm sure Seun won't employ religious people and many atheist company owners won't employ religious people, all we care about is the quality of your service.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by MJBOLT: 7:27pm On Jan 21, 2019
in nigeria once you say you dont believe in god,you are tagged 'a devil', 'pagan', 'idol worshipper' etc.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 7:32pm On Jan 21, 2019
Can you blame us?
The fear of God is the basis of our humanity.
Once anyone denies that fear, he seems liable to all inhumanity.

Of course this is just a heightened fear that in most cases is unfounded but truly in the wrong hands, atheists can be very dangerous.

One who stands for nothing, will certainly fall for anything. It's just a matter of time and desperation.

1 Like

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by MJBOLT: 7:48pm On Jan 21, 2019
dangerous in what way?

pressplay411:
Can you blame us?

Of course this is just a heightened fear that in most cases is unfounded but truly in the wrong hands, atheists can be very dangerous.

One who stands for nothing, will certainly fall for anything. It's just a matter of time and desperation.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 7:57pm On Jan 21, 2019
MJBOLT:
in nigeria once you say you dont believe in god,you are tagged 'a devil', 'pagan', 'idol worshipper' etc.

This really baffles me bro, I hope one day they realise that atheism is not bad in any way.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 8:01pm On Jan 21, 2019
pressplay411:
Can you blame us?

I think the fear of the law of your country should be the basis of your living, not the fear of an imaginary god.
Besides, religious people happen to be the most dangerous set of people. Many of them are the ritual killers, they steal pants, pastors doing all sort of ritual killings to get more members and all sort of bad things to gain wealth spiritually. Atheists don't do these because we don't believe in them.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 8:17pm On Jan 21, 2019
MJBOLT:
dangerous in what way?

First, one of the most precious things is a human mind.
Wnen anyone's mind is exposed to wrong knowledge and philosophies, it is susceptible to dangers. Hence anyone who comes in contact with an atheist's belief system is at risk.
That is how an atheist became an atheist in the first place, through exposure to questionable knowledge.

Second, an atheist is unpredictable. Thus can be good or dangerous.

An atheist can justify any evil or sin because nothing is necessarily evil or sin to him.

This is not to say an atheist is not conscientious. But his conscience is built on his own idea of his ideals. Thank God for societal laws which could prevent him from being unrestrained.

1 Like

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 8:23pm On Jan 21, 2019
HardGuyHardGuy:

I think the fear of the law of your country should be the basis of your living, not the fear of an imaginary god.
Besides, religious people happen to be the most dangerous set of people. Many of them are the ritual killers, they steal pants, pastors doing all sort of ritual killings to get more members and all sort of bad things to gain wealth spiritually. Atheists don't do these because we don't believe in them.

Thank God for country's constitutional Laws helping to maintain some level of decency and sanity.
But then, who decides your country's laws?
What is legal in your country might be illegal in another country. Doesnt that mean your ideals are transient?
Today you support gay rights, tomorrow you're anti-gay just because human laws govern you.

Which is why Constitutional (Human) laws are not dependable as much as God's laws.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 8:33pm On Jan 21, 2019
pressplay411:

Wnen anyone's mind is exposed to wrong knowledge and philosophies, it is susceptible to dangers. Hence anyone who comes in contact with an atheist's belief system is at risk.
That is how an atheist became an atheist in the first place, through exposure to questionable knowledge.

An atheist can justify any evil or sin because nothing is necessarily evil or sin to him.

This is not to say an atheist is not conscientious. But his conscience is built on his own idea of his ideals. Thank God for societal laws which could prevent him from being unrestrained.

Bro, atheists aren't bad people, being bad is a personal decision. We also have bad people in religion, even your god has done so many bad things.
A religious person is also not predictable, he can either be good other dangerous. Or do you want me to start mentioning names of top religious people who have done bad things? Most, if not all atheists are humanists, you can check out the meaning. Religious people have caused so many violence in this world. Netherlands which is dominated by are huge percentage of atheist is more peaceful and prosperous than all religious countries, this should give you a different perspective of atheism.

3 Likes

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 8:37pm On Jan 21, 2019
pressplay411:

Thank God for country's constitutional Laws helping to maintain some level of decency and sanity.
But then, who decides your country's laws?
What is legal in your country might be illegal in another country. Doesnt that mean your ideals are transient?
Today you support gay rights, tomorrow you're anti-gay just because human laws govern you.

Which is why Constitutional (Human) laws are not dependable as much as God's laws.

To live in a country, you have to study and follow its law and order irrespective of your religion.
Your god is also not straightforward, it changes its words.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by MJBOLT: 8:42pm On Jan 21, 2019
they are also terrorists,9/11 and oklahoma city bombing comes to mind

HardGuyHardGuy:

3 Likes

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by Uyi168: 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2019
pressplay411:

The same societal laws restrain theists too..
Morally and otherwise, we ain't doing better than those countries with far less religious/atheists citizens..
Most theists arw hypocrites..

1 Like

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by juanomowa(m): 9:34pm On Jan 21, 2019
I'm sure atheists don't act this way because if we are like this, I'm sure Seun won't employ religious people and many atheist company owners won't employ religious people, all we care about is the quality of your service.

You can't blame them. It's what religion, society built into them. They will say, "It's either you be for God or you be for Satan". Fools that they all are.

I would only you keep your beliefs to yourself, else they tag you Satan. If there is something wrong around your working place, you will be the first suspect. They will say the unbeliever among them is bringing bad luck or judgement, etc

Me for example, I don't believe in anything but I do my findings, I know there is a Mystery, His name unknown, but they titled Him as God. So when I'm asked about my religion and I said I have no religion, nor share any belief or faith, but I believe in whom they call God. They look at me like they're staring at death.

Some even question me, why I believe in God, Jesus... I'd answered them I have been out of this plane, explore other planets, I have met beings called Angels, Demons, other gods, and from them I learnt that there is a greater God, whose all other gods bow to. So ever since then I do say I serve the Grand God, not the God of religion or any belief or human tradition.

So ignore them and whatever they say or whichever way they look at you.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 9:40pm On Jan 21, 2019
MJBOLT:
they are also terrorists,9/11 and oklahoma city bombing comes to mind

Tru dat
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 9:41pm On Jan 21, 2019
Uyi168:
Morally and otherwise, we ain't doing better than those countries with far less religious/atheists citizens..

Simple! Some of them still won't understand this.

1 Like

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 9:42pm On Jan 21, 2019
juanomowa:

You can't blame them. It's what religion, society built into them. They will say, "It's either you be for God or you be for Satan". Fools that they all are.

I would only you keep your beliefs to yourself, else they tag you Satan. If there is something wrong around your working place, you will be the first suspect. They will say the unbeliever among them is bringing bad luck or judgement, etc

Me for example, I don't believe in anything but I do my findings, I know there is a Mystery, His name unknown, but they titled Him as God. So when I'm asked about my religion and I said I have no religion, nor share any belief or faith, but I believe in whom they call God. They look at me like they're staring at death.

Some even question me, why I believe in God, Jesus... I'd answered them I have been out of this plane, explore other planets, I have met beings called Angels, Demons, other gods, and from them I learnt that there is a greater God, whose all other gods bow to. So ever since then I do say I serve the Grand God, not the God of religion or any belief or human tradition.

So ignore them and whatever they say or whichever way they look at you.

Peace.

I think you are a deist, it resonates with your belief system.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by spongeisback: 9:49pm On Jan 21, 2019
Yeah I guess those underwear thieves and ritualists are atheists...bishop slapper is an atheist, as is buhari, bokoharam, amaechi, wike,tinubu and the MFM pastor that killed her husband.

Damn this dangerous and corrupt atheists.

pressplay411:

1 Like

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by juanomowa(m): 9:53pm On Jan 21, 2019
HardGuyHardGuy:

I think you are a
deist
, it resonates with your belief system.

You think? Which mean it is your thoughts, it isn't what I am.

I'm saying I don't worship religion nor any Human tradition. The Mystery Who populated the Universe has no religion ànd He didnt set any, it was all Human ideas. Jesus, didn't come to lay down a religion.

It was His apostles who wanted to be separated from the Jew, who killed their Master; so they changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, changed many things just to differentiate a Jew and a Christian.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by spongeisback: 9:53pm On Jan 21, 2019
This is what religion does to the mind of its adherents. You would see someone doing good and they would say "it's because of God am doing this oh" they don't believe humans can be good without any reward or gain.

1 Like

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 9:58pm On Jan 21, 2019
Uyi168:

Most theists are truly hypocrites.
On that we agree.
That's why it's not about the laws but the state of your own heart.

Both theists and atheists flout laws.
But once one is truly saved and fears God, he lives in love.
Love (as taught and exemplified by Jesus Christ) makes you something else.
You no longer need laws to avoid evil.
You certainly no longer need laws to do good.

The whole of the gospel of Christ is to enmesh Love into human nature. It's to make a human being overcome things that control him and make him susceptible to do wrong.
If you will be honest there are things you want to stop, things you hate to do, but you find yourself unable to stop.
This is really what laws expose. Our lack of self control.

God helps us all.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 10:04pm On Jan 21, 2019
juanomowa:

You think? Which mean it is your thoughts, it isn't what I am.

I'm saying I don't worship religion nor any Human tradition. The Mystery Who populated the Universe has no religion ànd He didnt set any, it was all Human ideas. Jesus, didn't come to lay down a religion.

It was His apostles who wanted to be separated from the Jew, who killed their Master; so they changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, changed many things just to differentiate a Jew and a Christian.

Did you even bother to check the meaning of deism?

1 Like

Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 10:06pm On Jan 21, 2019
spongeisback:
This is what religion does to the mind of its adherents. You would see someone doing good and they would say "it's because of God am doing this oh" they don't believe humans can be good without any reward or gain.

This is so true! I've heard this phrase times without numbers.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 10:09pm On Jan 21, 2019
pressplay411:

Most theists are truly hypocrites.
On that we agree.
That's why it's not about the laws but the state of your own heart.

Both theists and atheists flout laws.
But once one is truly saved and fears God, he lives in love.
Love (as taught and exemplified by Jesus Christ) makes you something else.
You no longer need laws to avoid evil.
You certainly no longer need laws to do good.

The whole of the gospel of Christ is to enmesh Love into human nature. It's to make a human being overcome things that control him and make him susceptible to do wrong.
If you will be honest there are things you want to stop, things you hate to do, but you find yourself unable to stop.
This is really what laws expose. Our lack of self control.

God helps us all.

One does not need your jesus to show love, it is a personal thing bro.
Do you even know how many pastors fight over supremacy, how many church members fight each other. So much hatred over people of other religion or belief system.
Bro please have a rethink.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 10:39pm On Jan 21, 2019
HardGuyHardGuy:

One does not need your jesus to show love, it is a personal thing bro.
Do you even know how many pastors fight over supremacy, how many church members fight each other. So much hatred over people of other religion or belief system.
Bro please have a rethink.

Don't look at people as your standard. Everyone has his weakness. But look on to Christ.
I know where I was, the things I had no control over.
But today, I can't believe my level of self-control, all thanks to the Grace that works in me.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 11:08pm On Jan 21, 2019
pressplay411:

Don't look at people as your standard. Everyone has his weakness. But look on to Christ.
I know where I was, the things I had no control over.
But today, I can't believe my level of self-control, all thanks to the Grace that works in me.

It is not grace bro, you did it yourself
There are a lot of Christians who still don't have that self control
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 11:43pm On Jan 21, 2019
HardGuyHardGuy:

It is not grace bro, you did it yourself
There are a lot of Christians who still don't have that self control

That's the mystery and paradox of Godliness.
It always looks like we're doing it ourselves. But it is God in us, working through us.

I used to wonder why Christians did that, attributing what they did to God.
Today, I truly am humbled to do the same.
All of the Glory truly belongs to Him. It is a dangerous mistake to take God's glory.

Like I always say, you can't explain Christianity adeqiately. Christ can only be experienced personally.
Truth is, you can't appreciate God until you need Him.
I had to come to the point of realising my emptiness, loss and wild goose chase without God before I could humble myself to try Him and submit to Him.

My life turnt 180 ever since.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 12:06am On Jan 22, 2019
pressplay411:

That's the mystery and paradox of Godliness.
It always looks like we're doing it ourselves. But it is God in us, working through us.

I used to wonder why Christians did that, attributing what they did to God.
Today, I truly am humbled to do the same.
All of the Glory truly belongs to Him. It is a dangerous mistake to take God's glory.

Like I always say, you can't explain Christianity adeqiately. Christ can only be experienced personally.
Truth is, you can't appreciate God until you need Him.
I had to come to the point of realising my emptiness, loss and wild goose chase without God before I could humble myself to try Him and submit to Him.

My life turnt 180 ever since.

Only when good things (most are normal things) happen, you give the credit to your god, but when something bad happens even after you prayed, you'll start giving filthy excuses.

A typical religionist.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by juanomowa(m): 2:37am On Jan 22, 2019
HardGuyHardGuy:

Did you even bother to check the meaning of deism?

Lol I don't fall under that category.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by juanomowa(m): 2:39am On Jan 22, 2019
HardGuyHardGuy:

Only when good things (most are normal things) happen, you give the credit to your god, but when something bad happens even after you prayed, you'll start giving filthy excuses.

A typical religionist.

Thanks for this bro. When bad happens that's when they will remember Satan exist, Devil is their enemy, all sorts of craps they have read and learnt.

But when a slight good happens you hear, 'God has done it, ohh thank you Jesus'.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 5:42am On Jan 22, 2019
HardGuyHardGuy:

A typical religionist.

One thing I've come to realise is, Understanding is the difference between a believer and an unbeliever.
I've told you some of the deep things that turn people's lives around. Yet, what I'm saying is different from what you're hearing.
Because Understanding only comes from the Holy Spirit.
Its called a language veil.
There are verses that explain this but if I post them, you will not see the sense in them, but take offense in them.

I didn't want to mention it before but the truth is I was as cynical as you not so long ago.
Church wasn't working for me again and I turned by back on God. I became an atheist.
The only reason I contributed on this post is because I can relate as all the questions posed were the things I went through. I used to be very scared of expressing my atheism because I didn't want to lose my job.
But eventually I couldn't hide it anymore and I became quite vocal about it.
The Christians clearly saw me as the damned.
A lot of my colleagues hurled insults at me. Some also tried to evangelise to convert me.
But I was so far gone, I even shook their own faith and nearly converted them instead.

But when I turned 30 years old, I felt so miserable. I felt so cursed, even though I didn't believe in curses. I just knew I was far from where I thought I'd be . in fact I didn't let anyone celebrate my birthday.

I believe that made me become desperate for a solution.
Luckily the desperation didn't take me to the wrong places. It made me curious about the efficacy of Jesus Christ.
I eventually sought Wisdom and it pointed me to Christ and led me to a church. And that's how my journey began.
In one year, I became a testimony in the church, in my family and office. The rest they say is history.

You could conclude that my desperation made me become gullible. But truly, my humbled desperation made me qualify for salvation.
It is what Christ explained in the Beatitudes.

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted.

I've said so much already.
I have no ulterior motive by trying to explain these things to you.
Only want to liberate your mind.
The deception is to think everyone else is foolish to worship God and only few of you are the wise atheists to know that God does not exist. Truly, the reverse is the case. I luckily didn't learn this the hardest way. Some people do.

All the best to you bro.
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by hakeem4(m): 6:31am On Jan 22, 2019
Well I face this almost everyday and the next thing I hear is “ I pray god doesn’t show you how mighty he is “
Re: Is This What Your Religion Taught You? by HardGuyHardGuy: 7:09am On Jan 22, 2019
juanomowa:

Lol I don't fall under that category.
Hmm Okay

(1) (2) (Reply)

Start Stocking Food, Be Wise / The Greatest Act Of Worldwide Terror - ABORTION ! / Ciniraj Mohamed - Indian Muslim Meets Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.