Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,006 members, 7,810,792 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar (34656 Views)

See The Pounded Yam And Egusi Soup I Ate In Rome / What Even Is This Mess - Caucasian Man Rejects His Nigerian Wife’s Pounded Yam / Lady Wins Pounded Yam Eating Competition In Ekiti (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Rubyventures: 10:57am On Jan 23, 2019
This is another quick way which is less messy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKxHM3zcbLE
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by 22brains(m): 11:01am On Jan 23, 2019
vinegurl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7eBr5Xb_CU

Pounded yam is one of the most loved fufu meals in Nigeria, it can be paired with any kind of soup especially vegetable and egusi soup.

I made this soft and pliable pounded yam with fresh yam today. In this method, you don’t need to cook or pound the yam. I found out it is very easy to make this and even if you don’t have a mortar at home, you can still enjoy your pounded yam swallow. You should also watch the video above on how to prepare this yam poundo practically.

You Need:

Pure White yam for this yam swallow.

Steps on How to Make Pounded Yam with Raw Yam

1. Cut yam into rings and peel off the brown skin, cut the yam into smaller sizes and rinse with water to get rid of sand.
2. Bring the yam into a blender and add a little water to help the blender spin appropriately.
3. Pulse the blender for few minutes or until the yam is completely blended and appears smooth and almost runny.
4. Bring the blended yam into a stainless steel pot and place it on medium heat to get heated.
5. Use a wooden spatula to stir the yam paste for 1 minute, you will begin to notice the yam starting to come together.
6. Keep stirring until the yam starts to cook, when this has come together, reduce the heat and scrape the sides and bring the paste to the
middle. Sprinkle a little water and steam cook this on low flame for 5 minutes and stir intermittently.
7. Once the yam has cooked, it will look soft and pliable; take it off it and scoop into nylon bags to stay warm until you are ready to serve.
8. Pounded yam is ready, you can serve with egusi soup or any soup of your choice.

awwww. I just tried it. It seem very seedy and logsy. If it not pounded, then its not pounded yam.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by dokie: 11:09am On Jan 23, 2019
GlorifiedTunde:
Wonderful!

Another method is using a powerful cake mixer after cooking and chopping the yam into pieces.

Kindly expantiate.
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by GlorifiedTunde(m): 11:17am On Jan 23, 2019
dokie:

Kindly expantiate.

Cook the yam to normal softness for pounded yam, then cut into smaller chunks.

If you have a powerful cake mixer like "Grundig', just pour the yam into the bow and mix.

It will mix it like pounding.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by GoodMuyis(m): 11:34am On Jan 23, 2019
NessaBoo:
Wooow!! Looks easy enough... I'm definitely gonna try this weekend! cheesy

It sure has to be better than that poundo flour crap!

Pls don't spoil your blender, so that it will not pain you like iyan ogun odun (20yrs Pounded yam)

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by enemmo(f): 11:34am On Jan 23, 2019
Proffdada:
Nice try but it will still be lumpy or granular which defeats the purpose of "pounded" grin

I don't think it will have lumps.
I blend boiled yam whenever I'm making nsala/white soup, and it doesn't have lumps

1 Like

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by gabbytabby: 11:48am On Jan 23, 2019
I tried it last week and if you have a good blender then it’s not lumpy. It did not taste the same but I usually try things a couple of times cos I think I might have put a little more water than necessary at the end.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Proffdada: 11:57am On Jan 23, 2019
enemmo:

I don't think it will have lumps.
I blend boiled yam whenever I'm making nsala/white soup, and it doesn't have lumps
what about granular?
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by lamidex(m): 11:59am On Jan 23, 2019
Oblongata:
If it is not pounded yam, it can never be like pounded yam! grin
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Amhappy(f): 12:23pm On Jan 23, 2019
Innovative Kudos

1 Like

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Gablo500(m): 12:30pm On Jan 23, 2019
Nice idea... I don't just agree with u calling it pounded yam... the word pounded before the yam connotes an action which involves pounding of any form...

when u decided to blend n cook... I think u should get a name for it... like blended yam...

tanchu.....

1 Like

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by favshaw15: 12:40pm On Jan 23, 2019
The day I tried this process, I eventually ate black amala. I guess it is the type of yam I used. sad

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by gwama: 12:55pm On Jan 23, 2019
asiwaju:
Nonsense.We used it and it was nothing,absolutely nothing.Nothing like traditional mortals,even the powder one(Poundo Yam)is also nonsense.

This method is 1000 times better than powders full of chemical additives. angry angry
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by gwama: 1:04pm On Jan 23, 2019
It is much closer to unfermented fufu than pounded yam. In Western countries, there are very powerful cooking robots that can make very good pounded yams. wink wink
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by teemanbastos(m): 1:09pm On Jan 23, 2019
vinegurl:

Pounded yam is one of the most loved fufu meals in Nigeria, it can be paired with any kind of soup especially vegetable and egusi soup.

I made this soft and pliable pounded yam with fresh yam today. In this method, you don’t need to cook or pound the yam. I found out it is very easy to make this and even if you don’t have a mortar at home, you can still enjoy your pounded yam swallow. You should also watch the video above on how to prepare this yam poundo practically.

You Need:

1. Cut yam into rings and peel off the brown skin, cut the yam into smaller sizes and rinse with water to get rid of sand.
2. Bring the yam into a blender and add a little water to help the blender spin appropriately.
3. Pulse the blender for few minutes or until the yam is completely blended and appears smooth and almost runny.
4. Bring the blended yam into a stainless steel pot and place it on medium heat to get heated.
5. Use a wooden spatula to stir the yam paste for 1 minute, you will begin to notice the yam starting to come together.
6. Keep stirring until the yam starts to cook, when this has come together, reduce the heat and scrape the sides and bring the paste to the
middle. Sprinkle a little water and steam cook this on low flame for 5 minutes and stir intermittently.
7. Once the yam has cooked, it will look soft and pliable; take it off it and scoop into nylon bags to stay warm until you are ready to serve.
8. Pounded yam is ready, you can serve with egusi soup or any soup of your choice.

vinegurl, you're really wonderful

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Brainardc(m): 1:50pm On Jan 23, 2019
Nice one...... I love this

1 Like

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by dokie: 2:19pm On Jan 23, 2019
GlorifiedTunde:

Cook the yam to normal softness for pounded yam, then cut into smaller chunks.

If you have a powerful cake mixer like "Grundig', just pour the yam into the bow and mix.

It will mix it like pounding.

Will try it asap

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Gracesofar(m): 2:19pm On Jan 23, 2019
Thanks OP will try this com weekend

1 Like

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Tinalex(f): 3:08pm On Jan 23, 2019
Greenhero:
Nigerian ladies and laziness sha...
Ain't you sick in the head? What has this got to do with Nigerian ladies you this overbloated, raggedy,buffoon!!! Don't go and learn to cook be looking for one lady to attack for your own incompetence and laziness!!! Nonsense!!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Greenhero(m): 5:32pm On Jan 23, 2019
Tinalex:

Ain't you sick in the head? What has this got to do with Nigerian ladies you this overbloated, raggedy,buffoon!!! Don't go and learn to cook be looking for one lady to attack for your own incompetence and laziness!!! Nonsense!!!

Ehn ehn, defender of the women folk. In all your rants, i can't find any cogent point to cogitate and ponder about. What I saw was just tirades filled with grouses,and grumbles. You just depicted the very fact that your laziness is in-built and hereditary. What a nuisance. Gubbins!!!
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by numen(m): 11:49pm On Jan 24, 2019
I tried this tonight and it turned out well. Thanks for the tip.

GlorifiedTunde:
Wonderful!

Another method is using a powerful cake mixer after cooking and chopping the yam into pieces.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:36am On Jan 25, 2019
numen:
I tried this tonight and it turned out well. Thanks for the tip.

Wow! I'm impressed! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by sonnie10: 9:41pm On Jan 27, 2019
sonnie10:
I will like to cook the yam first before blending and then turning/ stirring in the pot
Modified
It was a mess. I tried. Pounding is still the best
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by mechanics(m): 9:20am On Jan 31, 2019
The pounded yam cannot be replaced with the blended yam, there is always a difference.
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Guchis(f): 10:44am On Jan 31, 2019
Hnmmmm...very interesting @OP. Something to do come weekend!
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by sylve11: 9:10am On Dec 30, 2019
SEONaijaExpert:

You tried providing an alternative but this is semovita not pounded yam. My opinion!

grin grin cool
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by SilasIBB: 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2021
Is it after the yam must have boiled finish that you start all those processes?
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On Dec 20, 2021
vinegurl:
food is ready
Approximately how long does it take to complete steps 4, 5, and 6 of the recipe? undecided
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Nekky5(f): 2:02pm On Dec 21, 2021
Semoyam
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Konquest: 12:29am On Jan 19
vinegurl:

You Need:

Bump.
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Konquest: 12:33am On Jan 19
Rubyventures:
This is another quick way which is less messy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKxHM3zcbLE
An impressive video by @Marylandcakes.

It's just like using the same Kenwood mixer for mixing wheat flour dough.
Re: How To Make Pounded With Raw Yam: Pounded Yam Without Mortar by Rubyventures: 10:33am On Mar 13
[quote author=Konquest post=128012493][/quote]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I made Spicy Concoction Vegetable Noodles. Photos / Big Python Killed In Rivers State / Its Mango Season (see The Wonderful Reasons Why You Need A Mango Everyday)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.