Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,117 members, 7,856,464 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 08:05 PM

Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! (2982 Views)

Need A GSD Puppy Urgently / White Woman Feeding Her Puppy At A Fast Food In Onitsha (Pictures) / 25k or exchange with a gsd pup of either sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by joeflex6(m): 5:56pm On Jan 27, 2019
Hi guys. I just got a 4 & half weeks old GSD, the plan was for me to leave the pup until 6-7 weeks but mom stopped feeding them at such a tender age. One of the major issue am having now is making the right feeding choices because am a first timer. I will appreciate if u guys can enlighten me on the right feeding plan to ensure he grows up to be a healthy and happy boy. Thanks

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by IamAnderson(m): 6:04pm On Jan 27, 2019
feed the puppy dry dog food(make sure you soak it in water first), and also puppy milk or little evaporated cow milk...don't over feed cow milk or the pup might get diarrhea

1 Like

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by johnnyn1(m): 9:21pm On Jan 27, 2019
Deworm your dog first

1 Like

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by huntinghunter(m): 9:24pm On Jan 27, 2019
joeflex6:
Hi guys. I just got a 4 & half weeks old GSD, the plan was for me to leave the pup until 6-7 weeks but mom stopped feeding them at such a tender age. One of the major issue am having now is making the right feeding choices because am a first timer. I will appreciate if u guys can enlighten me on the right feeding plan to ensure he grows up to be a healthy and happy boy. Thanks

It depends on your pocket, you can get Diamond puppy dry food, if u can't afford a bag, they sell it in kilos, JoJo puppy can food ( this is majorly meat or chicken that has been processed), chicken/meat/fish which I suggest you cook thoroughly cos of worms, eggs (boiled or raw but if it raw you van mix it with powdered milk no ever use evaporated milk o). You can also buy Booster dog food which you can grinnd and mix the JoJo puppy food.

3 Likes

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by Aeman(m): 12:40am On Jan 28, 2019
It is not a big deal bro this is a dog feed it whatever you eat and don't forget to make available clean water at all time milk and some fish debris.

1 Like

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by AfricaNigerian: 1:37am On Jan 28, 2019
Give ur pup more of conplan milk

1 Like

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by IamAnderson(m): 10:44am On Jan 28, 2019
Aeman:
It is not a big deal bro this is a dog feed it whatever you eat and don't forget to make available clean water at all time milk and some fish debris.
that's a very terrible idea.....there are many things that humans eat that are poisonous to dogs e.g onions,garlic e.t.c
besides a puppy that young isn't meant to be feeding on garri and rice.
the dog needs protein and calcium to grow, feeding it garri and the rest will not nearly be enough for optimum growth.
besides, all these processed dog food contain some antibodies and well balanced nutrients that contribute in keeping the dog healthy
my dog has been on dog food since 4weeks and he has never fallen sick...but when he was four months and I changed his diet to human food, after some weeks his leg started vibrating and one leg became smaller than the others.
I had to spend like 30k and also move him back to diamond puppy before he could walk again.
now he has completely recovered and he has never had any issue since then.
I'll advise you to keep the puppy on puppy food at this early stage so the puppy will grow well, when the dog is mature then you can feed it human food just remember to research about the things harmful to dogs and avoid them.

4 Likes

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by 1000angstroms(m): 1:26am On Jan 31, 2019
IamAnderson:

that's a very terrible idea.....there are many things that humans eat that are poisonous to dogs e.g onions,garlic e.t.c
besides a puppy that young isn't meant to be feeding on garri and rice.
the dog needs protein and calcium to grow, feeding it garri and the rest will not nearly be enough for optimum growth.
besides, all these processed dog food contain some antibodies and well balanced nutrients that contribute in keeping the dog healthy
my dog has been on dog food since 4weeks and he has never fallen sick...but when he was four months and I changed his diet to human food, after some weeks his leg started vibrating and one leg became smaller than the others.
I had to spend like 30k and also move him back to diamond puppy before he could walk again.
now he has completely recovered and he has never had any issue since then.
I'll advise you to keep the puppy on puppy food at this early stage so the puppy will grow well, when the dog is mature then you can feed it human food just remember to research about the things harmful to dogs and avoid them.
Which weight of diamond puppy food are you using?
How long does it last and what's the price?
Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by IamAnderson(m): 7:45am On Jan 31, 2019
1000angstroms:

Which weight of diamond puppy food are you using?
How long does it last and what's the price?
I use the 9kg bag which costs about 12,500 and lasts about 1month
Well my dog is a Caucasian and he's a heavy eater so the bag will last longer for you
And if you're worried about the cost, there are other cheaper brands in the market like bingo which costs about 8000 for 9kg and others that are not as expensive as diamond
Goodluck
Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by 1000angstroms(m): 1:44pm On Jan 31, 2019
IamAnderson:

I use the 9kg bag which costs about 12,500 and lasts about 1month
Well my dog is a Caucasian and he's a heavy eater so the bag will last longer for you
And if you're worried about the cost, there are other cheaper brands in the market like bingo which costs about 8000 for 9kg and others that are not as expensive as diamond
Goodluck
m

Thank you sir, but I'll never opt for any cheap brand, cos I normally see my pets as my fellow human being and a companion. When I eat substandard food, I fall sick and I spend money to treat myself, though investing in good food for a dog is capital intensive but it pays in the long run since your dog wouldn't be falling sick much warranting more spending.
Do I also need the vitamin supplements when using the diamond puppy food?

1 Like

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by IamAnderson(m): 2:42pm On Jan 31, 2019
1000angstroms:
m

Thank you sir, but I'll never opt for any cheap brand, cos I normally see my pets as my fellow human being and a companion. When I eat substandard food, I fall sick and I spend money to treat myself, though investing in good food for a dog is capital intensive but it pays in the long run since your dog wouldn't be falling sick much warranting more spending.
Do I also need the vitamin supplements when using the diamond puppy food?
When you're feeding the dog with diamond puppy food it's not really compulsory to use vitamins.
I mix my dog's diamond food with rice and chicken to make it last longer because he eats a lot, so I give him vitamins, cod liver oil and calcium supplements too
I give him about 3-4 cups of diamond a meal with rice plus the supplements twice a day with 9 chicken heads and little milk and it works well
My dog is 5 months old while yours is still very young so I suggest you don't mix the food now, that can be done when the dog is older
My dog can also finish a bowl of the medium sized dog bowl full of food in one sitting but I think yours will eat less than that for now so there is no need mixing the food
You can still buy the supplements if you want sha but since you're feeding the dog diamond puppy food, it's not compulsory.
Here are the supplements you can buy;
Vitapet multivitamins- 3000- lasts about 3 months
Cod liver oil -3000- 2-3 months
Bionical calcium supplements - 3000 - 3 months
And always remember to deworm your dog, at your dog's age deworm every two weeks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by huntinghunter(m): 4:25pm On Jan 31, 2019
IamAnderson:

When you're feeding the dog with diamond puppy food it's not really compulsory to use vitamins.
I mix my dog's diamond food with rice and chicken to make it last longer because he eats a lot, so I give him vitamins, cod liver oil and calcium supplements too
I give him about 3-4 cups of diamond a meal with rice plus the supplements twice a day with 9 chicken heads and little milk and it works well
My dog is 5 months old while yours is still very young so I suggest you don't mix the food now, that can be done when the dog is older
My dog can also finish a bowl of the medium sized dog bowl full of food in one sitting but I think yours will eat less than that for now so there is no need mixing the food
You can still buy the supplements if you want sha but since you're feeding the dog diamond puppy food, it's not compulsory.
Here are the supplements you can buy;
Vitapet multivitamins- 3000- lasts about 3 months
Cod liver oil -3000- 2-3 months
Bionical calcium supplements - 3000 - 3 months
And always remember to deworm your dog, at your dog's age deworm every two weeks

Bro, 9 chicken heads? Your dog must be a ferocious eater buts that the way to go. You can also get Vetzyme multivitamins 2,800, Vetzyme cod liver oil 2,200.
Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by IamAnderson(m): 4:38pm On Jan 31, 2019
huntinghunter:

Bro, 9 chicken heads? Your dog must be a ferocious eater buts that the way to go. You can also get Vetzyme multivitamins 2,800, Vetzyme cod liver oil 2,200.
lol nah so ooh, the dog eats like a fool :-D
where do you get the supplements for that amount? :O
Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by space9880: 5:40pm On Jan 31, 2019
since it's still a puppy it's better to feed dry or canned food if you don't have much to spare you can opt for cheaper food like bingo. my dog feeds exclusively on binggo (feed raw on Saturdays) although I bought canned food when I first got her but they was the first and will probably be the last time
Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by huntinghunter(m): 8:45pm On Jan 31, 2019
IamAnderson:

lol nah so ooh, the dog eats like a fool :-D
where do you get the supplements for that amount? :O

Ado-Ekiti
Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by IamAnderson(m): 9:42pm On Jan 31, 2019
huntinghunter:

Ado-Ekiti
ooh in PH it's more expensive
Re: Feeding Plan For A GSD Puppy. Help! by IamAnderson(m): 9:43pm On Jan 31, 2019
huntinghunter:

Ado-Ekiti
ooh in PH it's more expensive

(1) (Reply)

What Breed Of Dog Is This Please.... / Great Dane Puppies For Sale / Adult Male Pitbull Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.