Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,100 members, 7,849,433 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:32 PM

Tourists: Nigerian Harmattan Explained! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tourists: Nigerian Harmattan Explained! (289 Views)

Flights To Be Disrupted As Harmattan Sets In – Nimet / Lebanese Female Police Officers In Mini-Shorts To Attract Tourists (Photos) / Tourists/travelers Let Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tourists: Nigerian Harmattan Explained! by LillianB: 1:28pm On Jan 31, 2019
Harmattan is the news,because now, we're all feeling the weather here in Nigeria, it lasts mostly for 3 months(December, January, February)

I actually had some tourists in mind today, anyways tourist or not I'll tell you what Nigerian harmattan feels like.

Harmattan feels like a combination of hot and cold(a dusty wind/a cold breeze), it is no joke especially in some northern states like Kano, Kaduna, kastina, Jos(where snow falls) and others but here in Anambra(East) it's normal.

The weather is favourable to some Nigerians like me, though it has some Con's, so here's what happens during harmattan:
The cold gets serious
Especially in the morning, coupled with cold breezes, but a thick sweater can get you going. One wonderful thing about this weather is that you'll have a nice sleep under your blanket without feeling hot, you won't even know when the clock hits 8:00 am�
Everything is goanna get dried up
Best part of it is that you're goanna wash your clothes and pack them in before 2hrs of hanging, so this period is most suitable for drying food ingredients and everything dry able. The earth really gets dry and hard. Plus, am sorry for your make-up because it just won't do.
You don't smile too much!
Haha, yes! If you go about grinning, your lips are goanna bleed(yes bleed!) Because the dusty wind wants to dry up your lip and when it's dry and you scratch the scale off, you get injured. So just smile gently and lip balm is your good friend. This is not the best time to get a massive wound,trust me.
You get another body lotion
Anything oily and jelly can be your body lotion at these times because the wind dries up most of the creamy lotions we normally use here. We usually use Vaseline for a fresh, glowing skin, any other thing is goanna make your skin look odd.
Bathing?..... Oh the cold!
For some Nigerians bathing in the morning become a problem due to the cold breeze but trust us, that's not a problem at all because hot water bath is a must! Note, the temperature increases in the afternoon and drops in the evening.
Our bodies reacts too
Yes some diseases are known to reign during the harmattan season especially catarrh and conjunctivitis(the pink eye) and it's infectious so watch out! And the other thing is that the skin really gets dry easily so we make up with lots of water and nice food.

And am goanna stop here, but trust me the weather is cool, so we try to enjoy it while it lasts.

The tee-girl wishes you more
@ www.thesoundme.

Until next time,.....��

(1) (Reply)

Four Americans Tourists And Their Pilot Killed In Kenya Helicopter Crash / Things You Must Know Before Going To City / Interview Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.