Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,153 members, 7,860,132 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:22 AM

Speaking English To Babies - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Speaking English To Babies (1393 Views)

The Danger Of Giving Honey To Babies. / Meet Woman Who Had 7 Babies In 5 Years / Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking English To Babies by sophy09: 5:48am On Aug 19, 2010
I have noticed this trend and it is very common in Nigeria. Why is it that most parents speak English to their babies as if they are talking to a stranger. Most times they speak their native language to other people but when the baby is crying or they are feeding the baby they tend to speak English. You even notice the grandma who does not understand English doing the same thing.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by LeStylo: 6:23am On Aug 19, 2010
It is sick! The problem we have always had in this part of the world is not being original.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 19, 2010
Because English is the official language in Nigeria, and common to all.

Would you rather they grew up, and had difficulty communicating with others?
Re: Speaking English To Babies by Nobody: 6:47am On Aug 19, 2010
Re: Speaking English To Babies by invisible2(m): 7:37am On Aug 19, 2010
Its better you speak english to them early, they are going to learn it later anyway, so why not start now. They will pick up the local dialect in the school, social settings. I think speaking english early helps them settle into academics and accept the already regular words early. That's why kids now seem more clever than before.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by Iranoladun(f): 8:18am On Aug 19, 2010
I think it is just jones syndrome

How many of you on this forum that are. Nigerians were instructed/spoken to mostly in english when you were babies/toddler and even teenagers?

Nowadays an average Nigeria kid may not be able to converse fluently.in his/her mother tongue because parents and everyone around speaks english.

Imagine how well their own children will be able to speak local language

Very soon if nothing is done our languages will all be extinct!
Re: Speaking English To Babies by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2010
If a child is to be able to communicate fluently in an offical language that is not his/her mother tongue, it's never too early to start teaching him/her!
Re: Speaking English To Babies by sophy09: 4:28pm On Aug 19, 2010
What I am trying to say is that why speak english to a baby especially new born. Like chaircover said, you newborn is crying instead of saying sorry in your native language, they go "sorry dear don't cry". I mean the child is still a baby, he/she does not understand what you are saying. She only understands the sound of your voice. I think we view babies as strangers because when you meet a stranger for the first time we speak the official language.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by asha80(m): 4:03am On Aug 20, 2010
invisible!:

Its better you speak english to them early, they are going to learn it later anyway, so why not start now. They will pick up the local dialect in the school, social settings. I think speaking english early helps them settle into academics and accept the already regular words early. That's why kids now seem more clever than before.

mehn this is daft reasoning.which kids are clever?so speaking english makes one clever abi?

by the way who is going to teach them local dialect in school?the same kids in their class that also come to the school speaking english?or the teachers that say no vernacular

i keep telling people kids btw 0 to 8 yrs can learn to speak 3 to 4 languages without confusing one for the other.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 20, 2010
asha 80:

[/b]
mehn this is daft reasoning.which kids are clever?so speaking english makes one clever abi?
by the way who is going to teach them local dialect in school?the same kids in their class that also come to the school speaking english?or the teachers that say no vernacular
i keep telling people kids btw 0 to 8 yrs can learn to speak 3 to 4 languages without confusing one for the other.

No need calling someone else daft, because their opinion differs to yours. Everyone's free to bring up their kids as they see fit. My parents always spoke to me in English, and it hasn't done me any harm. That's the same way I'll bring my children up. Your opinion may well differ to mine, but that's just the way it is.

There are no right or wrong ways, just what's most practical for a particular family setting.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by Iranoladun(f): 9:50am On Aug 20, 2010
Languages goes beyond "practical family setting"

It involves your ability to fit into a society.

English is the official language in Nigeria but everyone us also have our distinct language from our native community

In addition to english our kids should also be able to speak their native dialect

For instance, If my family is base in China then my children must speak chinese in addition to english and yoruba!
Re: Speaking English To Babies by blank(f): 10:08am On Aug 20, 2010
I won't condone it for my kids.
I can't speak my language fluently just in broken phrases though i speak excellent English.
This was cos my parents thought it wise to speak English to us growing up.
It is such a disadvantage cos it makes u look snobbish when u r with ur folks.
I wont make that mistake.
As it is, i am already speaking my language to my baby in the womb.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by bigfather(m): 4:26pm On Aug 22, 2010
blank:

I won't condone it for my kids.
I can't speak my language fluently just in broken phrases though i speak excellent English.
This was cos my parents thought it wise to speak English to us growing up.
It is such a disadvantage cos it makes u look snobbish when u r with your folks.
I wont make that mistake.
As it is, i am already speaking my language to my baby in the womb.

Nice one. My first daughter speaks my native language with ease,though can be sometimes funny when she tries to pass a message and you don't seem to understand,my daughter will change the whole thing to english grin. My second dughter doesn't even want to understand my native language at all. undecided
Re: Speaking English To Babies by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 22, 2010
How about teach them their native language as well as English? But make the native language a priority because it would be easier to pick it up then, when they're still very young.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by Outstrip(f): 4:06am On Aug 23, 2010
Children can actually learn multiple languages at the same time. It is crazy. I don't think it is a bad idea to speak only your language to a baby because they will definitely learn english and be proficient in it. My first language was actually etsako and I still understand but now do not speak because at about age three I was no longer surrounded by my grandma and aunties who spoke it constantly. My parents did not speak it because my mom is igbo though she speaks my dad's language fluently.
If you can speak your language to your child they will definitely pick up english from everybody else.
Re: Speaking English To Babies by iice(f): 4:47am On Aug 24, 2010
Children learn fast. They are like sponges. Each person differs.
Me i speak different languages to them. Throw a phrase here, next sentence is a different language. . .

(1) (Reply)

An Interview With A Love Child. / To The Married Ones!! / Christian Mingle: Ordered To Pay 2 Gay Men $459,000 And Accept Gay Singles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.