Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") (14696 Views)

What Is The Most Annoying Tv Advert Of 2013 So Far? / Monica Wins The MTN Project Fame Season 4 / The TV Advert That Currently Impresses You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Seun(m): 7:43am On Apr 08, 2005
Boy: (lying down) Hey girl.

Girl: (lying down and stretching) Hey you.

Boy: Wanted mine to be the first voice you hear today.

Girl: Now I know I’m gonna have a wonderful day. Wish you were here.

Boy: Me too! I wish I spend every waking moment with you.

Girl: [laughs] You’ll be bored in a week.

Boy: I could never be bored with you babe. You’re a real gift, you give my life a lift!

Girl: Oooh, now you’re gonna to make me cry

Boy: [getting up] Step out to your balcony; I want to give you a gift that is as priceless as you are.

Girl: [Sitting up] A gift? Now? How?

Boy: [walking towards the window] Just step out to you balcony, babe.

Girl: [walking towards the balcony]

Girl: [steps out. sees the sunrise. mouths 'wow!']

Boy: Babe, this one is for you. Thanks for bringing sunshine to my life.

Girl: [stepping out] Ooooh Jerry! (trish says it's pronounced [I]'Jewwy'[/I]).

What did you think about this ad? Did you like it? Hate it? Are you indifferent to it?

1 Like

Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by delarontus(f): 5:36pm On Apr 08, 2005
Its unnatural and i can't comprehend how u can give a gift of something that does not belong to u!
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by diakim(m): 4:36pm On Apr 09, 2005
Actually I am indifferent to the advert.

At the same time, I think it is imaginative, at least for the guy to know that the sunshine is actually out there waiting for the girl. Nature is a gift.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by mamba(m): 11:05pm On Apr 16, 2005
WTF, sunshine doesn't belong to him, talking of giving it as a gift.

HATE IT!!!
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Seun(m): 3:01am On Apr 17, 2005
Mamba, when you give a gift to your girlfriend or signficant other, isn't all matters is whether she likes it or not? And if you can get a gift that she likes for 0 naira, isn't that just splendid?

Having said that, Jerry's gift was more of giving her the opportunity to witness the sunrise, and it did not cost him 0 naira. It must have cost him 36 naira if he was on MTn pay-as-you go with per minute billing!

1 Like

Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Ra(f): 10:13am On Apr 17, 2005
Nature is indeed a gift and I think the advert is so romantic, albeit unrealistic. Watching the sun rise or go down is going a million steps closer to nature. It obviously gives the guy pleasure and him sharing what gives him joy with his girl is the issue. He didn't say for her to reach out and take it now, did he? My point exactly!
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by dominobaby(f): 2:45pm On Apr 17, 2005
I am indifferent to it. Whenever I see it, I just smile and say [I]"MTN and their adverts sef"[/i]
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by mamba(m): 5:43pm On Apr 17, 2005
All I can tell you guys is that the above advert is the fakest s**t advert I've ever seen on Nigerian TV.
No Nigerian chick is going to ever accept sunshine as a gift and be so happy like that.

All I'm trying to say is that the ad is ... well, WTF.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 17, 2005
@dominobaby I feel the same way.

@mamba ... A correct, intellectual chick will, who appreciates nature and not just money. Well maybe she got to be the emotional kind a little bit. I believe I've met two such chicks in my life.

Now in which comedy again did I hear that you only met three great women in your life? Oh yes, it was in Llyod's video. And Irv Gotti said it.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by mailaustin37(m): 12:12pm On Apr 18, 2005
tji
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Ra(f): 1:47pm On Apr 18, 2005
Are you speaking for the populace of Nigerian girls or the selected few that you happen to know? I wish we'd stop seeing things through jaundiced view.

I categorically put it to you that I would accept that from my man and walk on air all through the day for his thoughtfulness to share something so beautiful and peaceful with me. Don't let the fact that he likened the sun to the shine the babe had brought to his life escape you either. If your babe won't appreciate that, she's simply a different kind of person or you've got real trouble on your arms mate. Relationship is not all about giving and taking of material things, the earlier you made your woman understand that, the better for all parties concerned.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by diakim(m): 7:08pm On Apr 18, 2005
mamba:

All I can tell you guys is that the above advert is the fakest s**t advert I've ever seen on Nigerian TV.
No Nigerian chick is going to ever accept sunshine as a gift and be so happy like that.

All I'm trying to say is that the ad is ... well, WTF.

grin
I can't just stop laughing reading you guys contributions to this post. And I am not a bit surprised that it is only Ra, a lady (except Seun who originated the post), that really likes the advert.

I posted intially that I am indifferent to the advert, and I still maintain the same position.

Why? The advert looks un-Nigerian. I want to agree with Mamba and others that no Nigerian girl is ever going to accept sunshine as a gift and be happy about it. We all know why.

I am yet to see any grown-up that really likes the advert. My two nieces likes the advert. Maybe because they are still teenagers. If I am holding the TV remote control, I use to flick to the next station whenever the advert is being displayed. The only good thing I like is the guy's sense of imagination.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by delarontus(f): 4:55pm On Apr 21, 2005
Well since this advert is being aired in Nigeria I would say that watching the sun rise in Nigeria is a natural phenomenon that is not surprising. Infact some people don't like to view the sun rise especially on weekends when they are lazying in bed. If you are in a temperate region, you would cherish the sun a lot. It's different strokes for different folks. So do you want the view of a Nigerian living in Nigeria or a Nigerian living outside Nigeria?
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Seun(m): 5:20pm On Apr 21, 2005
Delarontus, diakim says his two nieces like the advert! They are not living outside Nigeria! So I don't think it's right to assume that only those living in temperate regions of the world can appreciate the ad!

However, as the administrator, I maintain that dominant point of view on Nairaland must be that of Nigerians living in Nigeria. That's part of our unique value proposition.

1 Like

Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Ra(f): 8:21pm On Apr 21, 2005
As a boarding house school student in Sagamu, I would go to the school stadium (within the compound and quite nice), sit on the steps and watch the sun sink in the evening. I loved, even then, to see the clouds change colours and remember dragging some of my friends with me. In the mornings as well, before training (I was a member of the school team, yes, football).

I've once again deviated from the root of this debate but I wish to address this issue of 'Nigerians Living In Nigeria' as against those who aren't resident in Nigeria. For screaming out loud, I am no less a Nigerian as you simply because I do not right now reside in Nigeria. I was born there for God's sake; I lived there all my growing up years up until quite recent years. The idea that 'dominant point of view on Nairaland must be that of Nigerians living in Nigeria. That's part of our unique value proposition' is preposterous at best.

If appreciating nature is not your thing, it's got nothing to do with you staying in Nigeria. Believe me, if you moved to Singapore or Dubai, two of the most beautiful countries in the world (in my opinion), you'd still find no time for nature. Please let's wrap this mentality that people who don't live in Lagos, Ibadan (where I did all my growing up, thank you very much) and Abuja.... have some really different mentality and opinions about discussion. While it might be true in some cases, it will be an outrageously fallacious argument to assume that it's true in all.

Mr. Admin....., this is not our first time of bickering over this (sorry to wash our dirty linen outside tongue) but I'm hoping it's the last unless of cause if I ever completely go out of line and start quoting Tony Blair while you're talking about OBJ.

Capische?

2 Likes

Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by tilly(f): 1:27pm On Apr 22, 2005
Almost fell off my seat reading you guys' opinion about the "oh Jerry" stuff. I happen to be a [I]Naija[/I] girl, living in [I]Naija[/I] and I absolutely love the advert. Nature itself is beautiful and to be likened to the rising sun is one of the romantic things I can ever think of.

By the way,what do you guys take [I]Naija[/I] babes for? Materialistic or what? Even the most materialistic girl does actually fall in love at one point or the other and such a gift from her lover will definitely have her floating. A friend once told me "a no-good woman was made no-good by a no-good man" So I believe you guys should not be biased with [I]Naija[/I] babes. Or [I]una neva meet babe wey dey interested in you and not the size of your pocket?[/I] rolleyes
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Femi: 5:54pm On Apr 22, 2005
This is an advert with plenty of imagination. Even the best adverts the world has ever witnessed were not loved by 99.999% of the people but to give those feeble escuses for disliking that advert speaks volumes of our imagination. No disrespect.

Simply compare that advert with others running on Nigerian Tv and maybe you will shift your outlook just a tad bit. not to mention names directly, take a look again at the poor graphics and crazy outlines of the Banking industry's share adverts.

Business wise, the ad is strategic and incites your romantic side to experiment thereby increased call volumes. The advert grabs your attention and appeals to the "other GSM market" meaning apart from business calls, a large amount of fone talk time comes from sweetnothings!! ask any friend that works at MTN. ask yourself, you will be amazed at what people say on phones.

Give a stick to that funny tone at the end of the advert after the MTN logo. It kills the feel good mood the advert created almost instantly. Overall, correct concept and a cool advert.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Ra(f): 8:15pm On Apr 22, 2005
Thank you jare Femi and Tilly, at least now I know I'm not from Pluto
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by dayojong(m): 3:48am On Apr 23, 2005
As an engineer, I see a lot of faults in the advert.

It's technically impossible to have the sun rise at the same angle, with the same intensity at the same bloody time! The two of them have to be in the same building to observe the sunrise simultaneously. So, they don't need a phone at that point in time. Comprehendo? Just watch the advert a little bit closely. At best they will be on the same latitude. But the longitude may vary a bit, maybe by 0.52 degrees.

Hmmm seems nobody understands all this my trigonometry ... cool
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by mamba(m): 6:14am On Apr 23, 2005
[I]O'boy[/I] I feel you [I]o![/I]

The ad is fake!!

QED
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Femi: 9:07pm On Apr 25, 2005
When did Dayojong do his NSE(Nigeria Society of Engineers) certification that he calls himself an engineer. Mind you a Bsc in actual sense doesnt make you an Engineer. So if you earlier believed yourself to be a master of detail, You goofed there.

Moreover, who says you cannot call a chic in the same building? firstly aren't there high rise apartment buildings where you stay as an instance? cut the lattitude and longitude stuff dude!

Once, I visited a chic in another town. I was talking to her on her mobile phone as if I was right in my own town.Still talking on phone, I entered her room unexpected. you should see the look of amazement on her face and a couple of other chics present. note dayo, your phone works even if you are a few feet apart.

If any chic in the forum thinks that was romantic.and that the ad wasnt bad for both romance and revenue generation for MTN as a consequence,..... pick a phone and call me now... i am a bit available!!
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by delarontus(f): 7:52am On Apr 26, 2005
Mamba and Femi i feel u guys! Fake advert. I hated the dance advert but i think its even better than this Jerry one.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Ra(f): 1:26pm On Apr 26, 2005
I dare say you misread Femi, at least on that last post. Well, I still insist that I like the ad and think it's cool.

I also happen to think it's romantic, but Femi dear, your availability is a bit.....what shall I say?...... unapplicable? wink
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by delarontus(f): 3:30pm On Apr 26, 2005
I understand his message and respect your views about the advert. The technical issues he was trying to clarify are not important to me but the fact that he has made a proposal to anyone who thinks its romantic! I dare say you would not, at least not on that statement.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by dayojong(m): 9:39am On Apr 28, 2005
I see that Femi is (still) single. You're still in the ''Love is blind" era and you can afford to waste your hard earned phone credits on on babe in the same building with you. Tell me man, ... will you still do that after you've married for 6 years? Even if MTN is billing 7 naira per minute? Will you? Oh FEEEEMIIIII.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Seun(m): 9:54am On Apr 28, 2005
Dayojong,

1) Don't let your fiancee here you saying that after you are married you will stop doing this sort of thing. If she hears you saying such things, she might decide not to marry you! grin

2) God forbid that any of us should be married for 6 years and not be able to afford a 2 minute call to make the wife happy. God forbid!
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by dayojong(m): 10:03am On Apr 28, 2005
Hey...I've been married for 6 years!!!..and luving every bit of it. Just that... I won't fone my wife from within the same building...except it's an emergency...the man needs to account for how the money is spent at the end of the day abi? Seun, do you notice that before we used to call them 'fiancee...' now most guys simply associate them with 'finance'....that's why they think it's ok to call her from the sme room just to say ''good morning''...how far?
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Seun(m): 10:13am On Apr 28, 2005
That's why they think it's ok to call her from the same room just to say ''good morning'' How far?

This is called 'romance'. Nairaland ladies, please tell him! (I know you want to ...)
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Femi: 4:27pm On Apr 28, 2005
Firstly Ra, I dont understand that bit about availability.....

Secondly Dayo, I am not that single rolleyes and Even when my Mrs becomes a grandma, I will call her in the same building as I have been doing.

Romance is in the personality and the character. You either have it or don't. But then you can build it. "Oooh Feeemi, I will love to hear that kiss even at the cost of a call"
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by Ra(f): 8:27pm On Apr 28, 2005
@ Femi, that was just a silly jibe re your post saying how available you were and stuff.

I must say that your woman is very lucky and blessed to have you. Romance is so essential guys!!! Should I say that again? It's the lubricant in any relationship. I think if guys can only start to treat their women the way they did before they got married, this world would be a better place for all partie concerned.

The saying that 'what it took to get me is what it takes to keep me' should be applied more often. But being the softies the good Lord created us as, we make it far too easy for you guys and go all soft on you and stuff.

In any event, it is good to pamper your woman, it makes your life easier and keeps a radiant smile on her face. May my husband text or even call me from in the same room if he so wishes, to profess his undying love. Amen
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by dayojong(m): 3:09am On Apr 29, 2005
Husband: This morning, my gift for you is sunshine...go ahead and grab it...I'm sending it on MTN mms...

Wife: Abeg shut up dere...na sunshine we go chop? Wayo man.

And that, my friends, is a Naija woman. QED. ( Engineer Femi should know the meaning of QED ) . Ra...you were saying...you will accept ONLY sunshine and flowers and kisses...maybe I should take you as a second wife...you can submit your application to...(ooops my babe just caught me typing that ..lol..).

Honestly, it's easier said by the women than done. I have an advice for single men. Anything you won't offer when you're married, don't start it when you're single. You just wait until SHE starts demanding for MTN sunshine...on a rainy day.
Re: The MTN 'Sunshine' TV Advert ("oh, Jerry!") by dominobaby(f): 6:00pm On Apr 30, 2005
grin, these days i can't help but laugh more each time I watch the ad and remember all your replies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yuletide: Nigerians Spent N359 Million In Cinemas / JAGABAN Ft SELINA TESTED Episode 23 & 24 (war At Dawn) #viralvideo #trending / BOLLYWOOD Actors, Actresses And Movies (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.