Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? (967 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by OrangeOlamide: 2:50am On Feb 05, 2019
Re: Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by Originalsly: 4:47am On Feb 06, 2019
Hmmmmm........interesting. No doubt...being shown on Netflix is a huge deal...worldwide audience. I do agree with the girl that the movie should've been more realistic about life in Nigeria instead of showing life of a certain class ......and good infrastructure . The guy is saying people would not want to see that...dirt roads etc....it is not appealing to the eyes. Locally....that is true....but not abroad. Keeping it real was what made Nollywood widely popular abroad...dirt roads.... village scenes.... keeping it Nigerian...African. Nollywood died when they tried to make scenes look like the West.
Good start...hope they have better African stories.
Re: Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by OrangeOlamide: 11:47pm On Feb 14, 2019
You don't think it's good when they polish things and make Nigeria look nice (even if it's not realistic?)

Originalsly:
Hmmmmm........interesting. No doubt...being shown on Netflix is a huge deal...worldwide audience. I do agree with the girl that the movie should've been more realistic about life in Nigeria instead of showing life of a certain class ......and good infrastructure . The guy is saying people would not want to see that...dirt roads etc....it is not appealing to the eyes. Locally....that is true....but not abroad. Keeping it real was what made Nollywood widely popular abroad...dirt roads.... village scenes.... keeping it Nigerian...African. Nollywood died when they tried to make scenes look like the West.
Good start...hope they have better African stories.
Re: Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by Originalsly: 11:54pm On Feb 14, 2019
OrangeOlamide:

You don't think it's good when they polish things and make Nigeria look nice (even if it's not realistic?)

No...it is not...keep it real. It is the same 'polishing' that killed Nollywood abroad... with everyone living in mansions.... is a CEO....driving the latest cars and the worse...the ehmmm....'polished speech'.
Re: Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by DejiSantos: 12:28am On Feb 26, 2019
You think people want more authentic stories?

Originalsly:

No...it is not...keep it real. It is the same 'polishing' that killed Nollywood abroad... with everyone living in mansions.... is a CEO....driving the latest cars and the worse...the ehmmm....'polished speech'.
Re: Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by Originalsly: 3:55am On Feb 26, 2019
DejiSantos post=76129449

:

You think people want more authentic stories?

That's what people abroad wanted.
Re: Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by OrangeOlamide: 7:38pm On Feb 27, 2019
I think they should have stuck to a more authentic theme

Originalsly:

That's what people abroad wanted.
Re: Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by Originalsly: 9:15pm On Feb 27, 2019
OrangeOlamide:

I think they should have stuck to a more authentic theme

Exactly....but can't blame them only The marketers were interested in sales only.... never tried to find out what the people wanted but instead gave what they think the people want to see. ...as in what was a blockbuster in Nigeria should also be a blockbuster in the US.
Re: Is Nollywood Too Commercial Now? by OrangeOlamide: 4:49am On Mar 01, 2019
Agreed

Originalsly:

Exactly....but can't blame them only The marketers were interested in sales only.... never tried to find out what the people wanted but instead gave what they think the people want to see. ...as in what was a blockbuster in Nigeria should also be a blockbuster in the US.

(1) (Reply)

Re-branding Nigeria; A Call To Nigerians Home & Abroad / Senegal Starts Movement To Stop Female Genital Mutilation / Bannned??? My Nigerian Mother In Law Might Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.