Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,367 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? (1910 Views)

Engine Ringing! Please Help / After Engine Washing, My Honda Baby Boy Is Not The Same Again / Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by OShepherd: 12:32pm On Feb 10, 2019
I've gone through a bunch of Engine ringing stuffs compared to our LADIPO bros & they are quite educative but still needs to ask this question which a friend and I are yet to be on thesame page because I ain't a petrolhead unlike him who has used a car for over 9yrs (claimed he has done ringing more than twice on same car)! shocked
Please, can experts tell us which grade of oil is better for a newly ringed engine(Is it d old thick oil eg Mobil XHP 20w50, or other lighter products is safer and Why
Re: Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by nurey(m): 3:24pm On Feb 10, 2019
if it was done by a professional using the required OEM parts, ask him for engine oil to use, since he is knowledgeable enough and can stand by his product he would be in the best position to recommend the necessary engine oil thickness.

If it was done by our local mechanic using low quality materials and cutting corners to reduce cost, better stick with thick oil to atleast enjoy the engine for a while.
Re: Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by OShepherd: 10:35pm On Feb 15, 2019
nurey:
if it was done by a professional using the required OEM parts, ask him for engine oil to use, since he is knowledgeable enough and can stand by his product he would be in the best position to recommend the necessary engine oil thickness.

If it was done by our local mechanic using low quality materials and cutting corners to reduce cost, better stick with thick oil to atleast enjoy the engine for a while.
Tnx a lot sir, My complaint was misfiring & shortage of oil & sometimes stalking but I was told 1ring is worn out & the entire four must be replaced. I commenced but several attempts to start the car after d ringing job was futile until a Scanning fellows came around, did some abracadabra, removed a so called Remote Security switch, started d car & asked d Mecho to drive it to his house with d picture below display on d dashboard. After several complaints from me, they(both d Mecho&Scanning guy)told me it will clear by itself but unfortunately d car refused to start since morning. Pls house, what is d probable cause(its a '96 Toyota Rav4 with 3Sfe, 2.0 engine.

Re: Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by nurey(m): 7:56am On Feb 16, 2019
OShepherd:
Tnx a lot sir, My complaint was misfiring & shortage of oil & sometimes stalking but I was told 1ring is worn out & the entire four must be replaced. I commenced but several attempts to start the car after d ringing job was futile until a Scanning fellows came around, did some abracadabra, removed a so called Remote Security switch, started d car & asked d Mecho to drive it to his house with d picture below display on d dashboard. After several complaints from me, they(both d Mecho&Scanning guy)told me it will clear by itself but unfortunately d car refused to start since morning. Pls house, what is d probable cause(its a '96 Toyota Rav4 with 3Sfe, 2.0 engine.

Let the guy scan and post codes. You have a check engine light, as for non starting only a physical inspection can reveal what the issue is, but if you mechanic is good he should start his diagnosis from

EFI fuse
fuel pump
coils and plugs

just to narrow it down to engine issue

1 Like

Re: Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by OShepherd: 5:58am On Feb 17, 2019
nurey:

Let the guy scan and post codes. You have a check engine light, as for non starting only a physical inspection can reveal what the issue is, but if you mechanic is good he should start his diagnosis from

EFI fuse
fuel pump
coils and plugs

just to narrow it down to engine issue
Tanx a lot sir. I learnt it has no scanning port. So it's not a brainbox issue as assumed by the MechO? Surprisingly I never experienced this non starting issues until I went for the ringing or could it be the MechO has messed up the Engine?
Re: Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by nurey(m): 1:16pm On Feb 17, 2019
OShepherd:
Tanx a lot sir. I learnt it has no scanning port. So it's not a brainbox issue as assumed by the MechO? Surprisingly I never experienced this non starting issues until I went for the ringing or could it be the MechO has messed up the Engine?

Your reply shows your mechanic doesn't know what he is doing, your vehicle is a lab rat for all sorts of experiment.

A scanning fellow came the other time to do abracadabra nah grin . Your vehicle is obd2 complaint, evident when you check under the steering wheel column from driver side you will see the port there,like a socket.

unfortunately I can't give you any other information only a physical inspection by an experience technician can put your vehicle back in order. Try to locate the port your self, you can buy a Bluetooth OBD scanner not more than 5k and scan yourself.

As for no starting engine sound and behaviour can rule out somethings but after ringing, the engine worked so let the mechanic check my list up there to rule out those before we move to engine (low/no compression)
Re: Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by OShepherd: 3:33pm On Feb 17, 2019
nurey:

Your reply shows your mechanic doesn't know what he is doing, your vehicle is a lab rat for all sorts of experiment.

A scanning fellow came the other time to do abracadabra nah grin . Your vehicle is obd2 complaint, evident when you check under the steering wheel column from driver side you will see the port there,like a socket.

unfortunately I can't give you any other information only a physical inspection by an experience technician can put your vehicle back in order. Try to locate the port your self, you can buy a Bluetooth OBD scanner not more than 5k and scan yourself.

As for no starting engine sound and behaviour can rule out somethings but after ringing, the engine worked so let the mechanic check my list up there to rule out those before we move to engine (low/no compression)
Tnx Sir, can U pls text or chat me up on 08060286044
Re: Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by nurey(m): 3:43pm On Feb 17, 2019
OShepherd:
Tnx Sir, can U pls text or chat me up on 08060286044

I am not a mechanic though. check my signature for my contacts sir and I will do what I can to assist you
Re: Grade Of Oil Required After Engine Ringing? by OShepherd: 10:23pm On Feb 18, 2019
nurey:

Good day house, today morning started with barage of calls BTW me&my technician. Haaaa, somebody fone go run down oooo. d Scanning guy showed up but d Mecho gave a second thought after he saw a flash of my ID(police like case too; no be only lawyer). d Scan guy chckd under d steering column but no port but I kept insisting on d Engine bay & they found a *DIAGNOSIS* socket & viola, he plugged d adaptor & pulled a *Immobiliser* & he quicklycanclld it but I catch am. Then he started to renegotiate with me & after concluding he snapped his fingers & his boystarted d car & its been running sinz morning but some little hiccups which I plan attending to tomorrow. Can U now see why I said his
boy did abracadabra last Thursday. Naija Techs, I hail o! Hmmmmmmm! Short of words

(1) (Reply)

About To Purchase A Nigerian Used Odyssey, Advices Needed / What Car Did You Drive In The University? / I'm Currently Depressed With...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.