Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,546 members, 7,812,719 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? (3521 Views)

Uniosun Ipetu-ijesa Campus In Turmoil Today / Is FUNAAB, Abeokuta The Most Beautiful Public University Campus In Nigeria? / 7 Items Common To Every Student On Various Campus In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by Bedos(m): 10:37am On Apr 23, 2007
To Stay Off Campus Or On Campus: Which One Is Better In Uk Universities

Hi family members.

Please I would like to find out from you what you think is better for me either to stay off campus or on campus in University of Nottingham.

I have never been to UK and I am sort of confused as regards accommodation there, come this September.

I am waiting for your candid advice.

God bless.
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by davou4eva(m): 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2007
It all depend on programme of ur studies and how rich u are but for me if u have someone responsible that u can stay wit for a start it is beta u stay off campus, some of my friend over there said thats beta, i will also be leaving for uk by sept nd am staying off campus
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by usalawu(m): 1:35pm On Apr 23, 2007
@Poster

It depends man on the type of accomodation and rate ur school offers, in most cases d prices of campus accomodation tends to be close to the price of u getting  accomodation off-campus. If u are planning to work when here and can afford at least 4 or 6 months rent upfront on arrival, stay off-campus. I don't know much about Nottingham but accomodation should be fair enough. I wrote this based on my experience in bedfordshire uni,
All the best man,
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by opuro(m): 1:42pm On Apr 23, 2007
na wa 4 ajebo pikin ooo so una want us to de jealous be that abi? UK ko  UN ni. Are u sure say u pass ur JAMB?
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by LearnBook: 1:48pm On Apr 23, 2007
As you are new, you should stay on campus for at least the first year. You tend to get good support as there will be many others who are going through the same experience. After a few terms and when you know your way around, wou could consider moving but then you may be having so much fun that you stay put. wink
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by IBDat(m): 2:23pm On Apr 23, 2007
If you have anyone to stay with off campus i would advise it as it would be cheaper and u can save up yo cash as well. If not then stay on campus at least for the first year to get yo bearings, if you are staying on campus i guarantee you won't be bored wink
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by chuckdee4(m): 3:02pm On Apr 23, 2007
I'lld suggets u stayed off campus due to cost and mainly concentration, on campus its quite easy to get carried away with teh student life, with most uni's in the UK having pubs and events within the campus it bvecomes very distracting. It all depends on how strong ur will is but either way i'lld suggest staying off campus
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by smile4kenn(m): 3:48pm On Apr 23, 2007
International students are advised to stay on campus for one year. But it will be Of your own gud if you can stay oncampus for at least one semester. staying on campus for your first year will enable you know your school and students around you much betta. oncampus has its own rules and regulations which you must always obey and will help you know how strict or friendly your school can be.
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by segedoo(m): 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2007
@opuro
why u dey beef am naw?

make e no seek advice again?

na wa 4 u o.

@bedos
Guy, goodluck jare and all the best whether you stay on campus or not.
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by usalawu(m): 5:41pm On Apr 23, 2007
@poster,
Most of what's been said are relevant, What level are u studying Bsc. or what? You will make friends faster staying on campus but the cost of being on campus and staying off are not that far apart, besides u will have some limitations if staying on campus, u decide
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by junegirl(f): 5:59pm On Apr 23, 2007
@opuro: na wa o, bad belle dey worry una. No be only rich people pikin dey go abroad, who say make u no read well collect scholarship?

@bedos: congrats man. Since u've never been to UK, and since the price is not so different(as they say) I think you should stay on campus so that u can make friends and settle in fast.
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by deejay1(m): 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2007
man nottingham? i will advice you 2 stay on campus 4 @ least 1 semester bcoz of the kind of life up here. you tend to be more safer on campus ( depending on ur personality anyway) and the cost of living on campus is cheaper to living outside the campus. it fairly close to the train station and good life in campus and maybe u might end up in a room in my ex-room in derby hall (no 11) man its ganna be wicked but take it easy ooo. its ur choice anyway
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by usalawu(m): 7:04pm On Apr 23, 2007
@Bedos.
Deejays advice right about solves your problem. he's got first hand info, Congrats man all d best with ur studies here.
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by WesleyanA(f): 4:35am On Apr 24, 2007
stay on campus. you'll get the most out of your college experience that way, meet and get to know more people from your school, and assimilate better.

stay at least for your first year.
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by Leadmyster(m): 11:42am On Apr 24, 2007
i would say it depends on your person and age

if ure young (<19),quite conservative and like to focus on academics alone, then stay on Campus

But if ure mature and like to be all round, then stay off campus.

I would stay off -campus if you ask, that way you'll fit into the UK society better and it wont affect your education in any way. You need to quickly brush off the foriegn student image and fit into the community.

Cost of living aint that different, campus accomodation is expensive
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by kellorah: 8:40pm On Apr 24, 2007
ON sounds safer wink
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by DisGuy: 11:46pm On Apr 24, 2007
I'll say stay on campus for a year

you'll be around people more or less your age

you'll experience and interact with your coursemates and others more often

you'll be able to actually get the chance to tell/show (young) people your culture
and learn theirs first hand not what CNN/ABC news told them

you'll get your room cleaned twice a week cheesy

you'll have crazyyyy fun together
you'll be broke together
you'll learn how to eat toast and baked beans
other student will ask you to rap for them  undecided

if you stay with a relative that is not a student;

you'll be alone when he/she is at work

you'll be tempted to overwork to get rid of boredom

you wont learn spanish/italian/french curse words

everyday you will talk about OBJ, Nepa, efcc, phonecards, moneygrams >Nigeria,nigeria nigeria  wink

If you're mature and focused you will survive off campus easily
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by bigbumper(f): 12:32am On Apr 25, 2007
You would only be allowed to stay for a year on campus.

Financially, the same rate you pay for your single room on campus would get you a double room off campus. The university's prospectus on accommodation would shed more light on this.

Socially, hmmn, although "dis guy" is right to an extent, don't forget that the question mark kid (the guy who killed some students in the states last week) also stayed on campus but had no friend . . .
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by bigbumper(f): 12:33am On Apr 25, 2007
You would only be allowed to stay for a year on campus.

Financially, the same rate you pay for your single room on campus would get you a double room off campus. The university's prospectus on accommodation would shed more light on this.

Socially, hmmn, although "Dis Guy" is right to an extent, don't forget that the question mark kid (the guy who killed some students in the states last week) also stayed on campus but had no friend . . .
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by DisGuy: 3:06am On Apr 25, 2007
SHOTTingham is getting a bit of reputation now probably safer in the campus,
never heard of students owning guns in the UK
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by sw2soufldn(m): 10:03am On Apr 25, 2007
fam stay on ur campus dey be bustin dem straps in notts nw
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by Leadmyster(m): 1:24pm On Apr 25, 2007
@Disguy,

So una dey learn spanish and french curse words for ya campus?

Na only Polish we sabe eg Kruva grin

Anyway who tell u say UK students no get gun, they do mate

especially the TA boys, but they probably wont go on a shooting spree like the bloody Americans
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by DisGuy: 8:35pm On Apr 25, 2007
@Leadmyster

I heard everything in my first year, french candadians and 'real' french students from france
they always quarrelling with the americans; you trust those bloody yankee people to be making trouble grin

with the spanish student i got to meet Fernando Alonso but got lost in translation undecided
those polish girls are fit and strong cheesy

true say, i think some students take their gang life to uni, be careful who you 'diss' in the canteen

I think campus acc. are usually more expensive
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by BlackMamba(m): 7:42pm On Apr 27, 2007
What a problem to have. On or Off campus. How about worrying whose BQ you can afford to rent, to attend college in Naija, where on-campus accommodation is a premium. Naija people, "Tale of 2 cities"
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by Bedos(m): 10:31am On Apr 30, 2007
Thanx guys for your good advice. I realy appreciate your views concern my request. May God reward you greatly.
As some ask, I want to do an MSc program just for a minimum of 12 months.
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by jimaj4life(m): 3:21pm On May 02, 2007
omo,itz better to stay on campus,ur gonna benefit alot by staying on campus man, u gemme?
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by Bedos(m): 10:13am On Aug 29, 2007
@ALL

I still think deeply on this issue of staying off-campus or not in Nottingham, Sutton Bunington Campus. Considering the fact that my finance is not that good.

Therefore, I am tempted to stay off-campus but,
Re: Is It Better To Stay On-Campus Or Off-Campus In UK Universities? by DisGuy: 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2007
You can also stay off campus, the prices are not that much anyway just £10-£30 difference
the school can give you a list of houses available off campus from registered landlords
get one that is not far from everything preferably walking distance- campus, city centre, and fun

(1) (Reply)

Imo State University (imsu) 2011/2012 Post Utme Results Is Out / Full Project Topics For French Students And English And Literary Student / Ogba Community In Lagos: A Place To Be!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.