Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,191 members, 7,815,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time (4671 Views)

Motunrayo Ajia: Covenant University CGPA 5.0, All Time Best Graduating Student / 10 Most Influential Books Of All Time / People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 10:57am On Feb 19, 2019
Here's something you can't escape, this monicker grin

If you've ever seen a prison escape movie or TV show, you know they do a pretty good job at depicting how difficult it really is to escape, but not all escapes are from jail, well, I mean, some are, but others are people escaping in real life, whether they're running from the law, persecution or something else, the following are the most amazing cases ever recorded. Here are the 10 Greatest Escapes of All Time.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 10:59am On Feb 19, 2019
#10 Stalag Luft III
Immortalized by the film, The Great Escape, prisoners of war held by the Nazis during World War II carried out one of the most audacious escape plans in history. Imprisoned at the Stalag Luft III POW Camp, an estimated 600 Allied soldiers were involved.

The compound itself was heavily guarded, surrounded by walls of barbed wire and the German prison guards would shoot anyone, who tried to escape. It was for this reason that the Allied prisoners dug three complex tunnels underneath the camp. The tunnel used to escape was 102 meters in length and of the 220 planned escapees, only 76 made it out, before the prison guards realized. Oh, 102 meters of tunnel dug by hand? Yeah, that is just way too much effort, I know they're trying to survive and whatnot, but like I get lazy just going to the fridge so I would have died grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:02am On Feb 19, 2019
#9: John Gerard
On October 4th, 1597, a Jesuit priest carried out one of the greatest escapes in history, his name was John Gerard and he was secretly practicing as a priest in England at the time, when Catholicism had been all but banned.

Captured and tortured in 1594, three years later he made his escape. At that time, he was held in the notorious Tower of London. Assisted by members of a secret Catholic group, the priest was able to climb across the tower moat using a long rope, given the high strength required and the fact that John Gerard's hands had been mangled during torture, his determination to pull himself across the rope is legendary.

Later he continued his work, until finally escaping England disguised as a footman for a Spanish ambassador.

Okay, that takes real strength, because let's be honest,how many times have you stubbed your toe and just fallen to the ground being like, "Oh, Mommy, the world's over!" It's just we're a soft generation. angry angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:08am On Feb 19, 2019
#8: Alcatraz
The 1962 escape from Alcatraz is one of the most hotly debated escape stories of all time. Inmates, Clarence Anglin, John Anglin and Frank Morris took six months to prepare.

Using fake heads, that they had made out of soap wax, they made it appear as though they were still in bed. Meanwhile, they squeezed through a ventilation duct, which they had widened using improvised tools, camouflaging the hole with cardboard and paint. Then on the roof, they had used 50 raincoats to create a makeshift life raft, stitching them together and sealing them using steam from a nearby pipe, these guys were like the James Bonds of the prison world.

Oh, but it gets better, because using an accordion, they inflated the raft and then on the night of June 11th took to the treacherous waters surrounding the prison. The only thing is that no one actually knows what happened to them, so they either drowned or they made it, but either way, they made it out of the prison.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:14am On Feb 19, 2019
#7: El Chapo
ElChapo was the notorious Mexican druglord, who has escaped captivity three times. His most audacious escape was in 2015, when he escaped through a 1.6 kilometer long tunnel, which led from his cell to freedom, but this was no ordinary tunnel, it had ventilation, artificial light and had been made form high quality construction materials. Inside the tunnel, prison guards discovered a motorbike, which was used either to aid El Chapo's escape or to bring goods to him from outside the prison. The escape route proved to be one of the most well-constructed and elaborate in history.

A manhunt soon followed, but El Chapo wasn't captured until 2016, when Mexican police and military pursued him relentlessly, even chasing him through another 1.5 kilometer escape tunnel, that he used to initially evade capture. I know El Chapo was a brilliant drug kingpin and whatnot, but he apparently was also half mole man, get away from everybody, digging a tunnel.

9 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:16am On Feb 19, 2019
#6: Colditz
During World War II, the Nazi regime declared the prison at Colditz to be escape-proof, but that didn't stop people from trying. Sitting on top of a large cliff, several Allied soldiers managed to escape from the notorious camp, but it was the story of John William Best, which is the most striking.

John Best was a British Royal Air Force pilot, who tried several times to escape from Colditz, even building a huge glider, which he hoped to use to jump from the cliff side. After being caught several times, Best came up with a novel solution and because of it, he was referred to as a ghost prisoner.

For over one year, he hid inside the castle, fooling guards into thinking he had escaped, he hid under floorboards and in closets, but eventually he had to come out of the closet, hm-mm, to escape, to actually get out, you know what I mean. Although he was caught after a year, he finally walked free in April of 1945, when Colditz was liberated, whoa, that was the ultimate game of hide and go seek, "Where are you, Best, we know you're in here. "Adolf, you want to come help? "Okay, let's go."

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:21am On Feb 19, 2019
#5: The Catalpa Rescue
Between 1865 and 1867, the British Empire arrested anyone supporting Irish Independence. At that time, 62 of these prisoners were sent to the prisons in Australia, from which they were likely to never return, but that all changed when a group of mercenaries used an American whaling ship called The Catalpa to carry out a daring rescue.

They dropped anchor near the prison and headed to the shore in smaller boats, there a group of the Irish prisoners were working outside of the prison, while most of the guards were watching an annual boat race. "Ah yes, look at these boats on the water, "it's wonderful, it is. "Who's watching the prisoners? "Oh, bollocks."

The prisoners leapt into the Catalpa's boats and made their way back to the ship. After a fierce storm, which damaged many of the boats, evading the British Navy and being fired upon, the Catalpa finally made it to New York four months later, four months on the sea?

Uh, oh God, I get car sick and the ocean is even worse, I can't even think about it, moving on.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:24am On Feb 19, 2019
#4: Frank Abagnale.
If you've seen the film, Catch Me If You Can, then you already know quite a bit about Frank Abagnale. After posing as a doctor, a lawyer and an airline pilot, he spent some time in a French and then Swedish prison. When being extradited to the United States to face his crimes as a conman, Abagnale escaped his captors, just before their plane took off, Abagnale claims he did this by climbing through the plane's toilet plumbing and then escaping through a hatch at the landing gear, talk about a crappy escape.

Now while there's some debate as to how plausible this is, he most definitely did escape a second time from a detention center by posing as an agent of the prison, bizarrely he made it out and was finally caught for good later. He then assisted the United States government in investigating scam artists and later set up a business showing banks how to identify fraudsters.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:27am On Feb 19, 2019
#3: Choi Gap-Bok
After being arrested for robbery in 2012, Korean criminal, Choi Gap-Bok successfully escaped imprisonment using yoga, "Oh yes, slippery like a snake, can't get to me."

As an experienced practitioner of yoga, Choi Gap-Bok noticed that his detention cell had a fatal flaw, which could be exploited using his physical talents. After just five days in the cell, Gap-Bok greased himself up with ointment and began to squeeze himself through a small slot at the bottom of the cell used for food trays, aren't those slots like this big? How skinny was this guy? Stretching his body out, he was able to escape his cell in just over half a minute, that's 30 seconds for those of you who can't do math.

He then climbed out of a window and vanished into the nearby mountains, presumably naked. Although he was eventually caught, he still maintains his innocence, though some say that claim is quite a stretch.

9 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:35am On Feb 19, 2019
#2: Pascal Payet
A career thief, Payet was sentenced to 30 years in a French prison for committing murder during one of his heists in 1997. In 2001, he carried out his first escape ever. Four masked accomplices hijacked a helicopter and then flew Payet from prison. After being caught again, he staged a second escape, this time in 2003, when another helicopter flew in to rescue him from the roof of the prison, then he was caught again three weeks later.

Following these attempts, he was put under increased surveillance while in prison. Gee, I wonder why. But despite this, in 2007, he escaped again, masked accomplices again hijacked another helicopter and then rescued Payet, then he was caught again, okay, seriously, this is just getting repetitive like they should just probably lock this guy in a box and just like open the cell door a little bit, throw some food in and then just lock it, just, otherwise he's gonna get out.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Stanweezy(m): 11:39am On Feb 19, 2019
What of Scofield

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Conspiracist: 11:45am On Feb 19, 2019
#1: Alfred Wetzler
Alfred Wetzler not only survived the Holocaust, but he also escaped from the Auschwitz Death Camp itself along with his friend, Rudolf Vrba, Wetzler escaped by hiding in a pile of wooden planks stacked outside the camp perimeter.

They waited there for three days without food or water, while the SS guards searched for him. When the search was finally called off, the two men escaped into the night. Pursued by a German patrol up a mountain side, hunted by dogs and soldiers alike, they were helped by strangers to get to the border and then cross into Slovakia.

Finally having escaped, the two of them filed a report on Auschwitz, this led to Allied bombing, which halted the deportation of thousands of people to concentration camps. This is absolutely incredible, because it's estimated that their bravery and the information that they provided saved the lives of over 120,000 people and I thought it was impressive, that I got out of bed early this morning, I need to raise my expectations. grin grin

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Seun

14 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 19, 2019
Wow I was expecting to see Michael scotfield..

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Hamid7(m): 12:33pm On Feb 19, 2019
Another one from Conspiracist !!!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by dimelo: 12:52pm On Feb 19, 2019
@ Conspiracist
I like the way you write

kudos

6 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by moststylish(m): 12:59pm On Feb 19, 2019
cuteguy14911:
Wow I was expected to see Michael scotfield..
michael scolfied escape happened in a movie, these are real life escapes the op is talking about. Get it now?

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by MobileGees: 1:11pm On Feb 19, 2019
cuteguy14911:
Wow I was expected to see Michael scotfield..

Who be Micheal Scofield someone that might not be brave enough to kill a cockroach the guys the op mentioned are those with bravery and guts knowing they might die in the process

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 19, 2019
moststylish:
michael scolfied escape happened in a movie, these are real life escapes the op is talking about. Get it now?

Yeah I get it.. but aren't movies a depiction of real life tales?

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by MilesLamar(m): 1:33pm On Feb 19, 2019
where Scofield and tbag them
Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by johnkey: 2:27pm On Feb 19, 2019
downloading... The great escape
thanks op
Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Josephjnr(m): 2:39pm On Feb 19, 2019
Real Michael Scofield
Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Martinez39(m): 2:58pm On Feb 19, 2019
Hard times create tough men,
Tough men create easy times,
Easy times create weak and soft men,
Weak and soft men create hard times.
The cycle continues on and on.

9 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by BiGVEEN58(m): 3:25pm On Feb 19, 2019
Chronicle of Dino Melaye
Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by iceboy4752(m): 3:46pm On Feb 19, 2019
Conspiracist:
#10 Stalag Luft III
Immortalized by the film, The Great Escape, prisoners of war held by the Nazis during World War II carried out one of the most audacious escape plans in history. Imprisoned at the Stalag Luft III POW Camp, an estimated 600 Allied soldiers were involved.

The compound itself was heavily guarded, surrounded by walls of barbed wire and the German prison guards would shoot anyone, who tried to escape. It was for this reason that the Allied prisoners dug three complex tunnels underneath the camp. The tunnel used to escape was 102 meters in length and of the 220 planned escapees, only 76 made it out, before the prison guards realized. Oh, 102 meters of tunnel dug by hand? Yeah, that is just way too much effort, I know they're trying to survive and whatnot, but like I get lazy just going to the fridge so I would have died grin grin

Imagine after digging this one for two years and the person gets caught the moment they come out of the tunnel. grin
Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:05pm On Feb 19, 2019
grin grin
Escaping from Nigeria, is Like escaping from prison on its own..
Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Nobody: 4:06pm On Feb 19, 2019
iceboy4752:

Imagine after digging this one for two years and the person gets caught they moment they come out of the tunnel. grin

Kukuma kill me... We die here cheesy grin

8 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by bdsm: 4:33pm On Feb 19, 2019
11) The Mysterious Great Escape of the Jewish Nnamdi Kanu from the Nigerian Military.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Dandsome: 5:39pm On Feb 19, 2019
Okay
Re: 10 Most Incredible Prison Escapes Of All Time by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 19, 2019
how nigerians escaped from the clutches of apc

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abraham Lincoln & John F. Kennedy, Reincarnation Or Coincidence? / Usman Dan Fodio University Issue Serious Warning (photo) / Most Corrupt Secondary Schools In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.