Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them (1224 Views)

Twelve-year-old Girl Raped By Aunty’s Customer, Son Within One Week (pic) / I Was Given N200 After Been Raped - 15year Old Girl / Lady Murdered By Guys For Rituals In Port-Harcourt (Graphic Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by Agibecky: 6:15pm On Aug 25, 2010
Many young women who have been raped by guys are often ashamed to report them, because of the stigma they are afraid will worsen their trauma.

See the following report.

Rape, trends and the Nigerian law8 Feb 2009 , Rape is a common sordid phenomenon in Nigeria, and some observers have blamed laws, societal attitude which tend to heap blames on victims ,
thenationonlineng.net/web2/, /Rape, Nigerian, /Page1.html -
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by Omolola1(f): 6:17pm On Aug 25, 2010
true, but not all
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by InkedNerd(f): 6:20pm On Aug 25, 2010
R.ape in general is under reported. Its a global issue. I had a very close friend who was r.aped by a group of boys she used to go to school with and she never told anyone until she met me, but by this time she was already 18yrs old. It pissed the hell out of me when people blame the victim. No one ever asks to be r.aped.

1 Like

Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by mutter(f): 8:19pm On Aug 25, 2010
I BET you very soon a poster will abuse you for being raped. You were actually the one and just claiming it was a friend.
Then before you know it someone might comment that you wanted it and just claimed to be raped.
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by InkedNerd(f): 8:22pm On Aug 25, 2010
mutter:

I BET you very soon a poster will abuse you for being despoiled. You were actually the one and just claiming it was a friend.
Then before you know it someone might comment that you wanted it and just claimed to be despoiled.

I hope its not me that you're referring to in that comment?
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by mutter(f): 8:51pm On Aug 25, 2010
yes it is.
No offence meant.
What I am basically trying to say is that most victims do not report rape because they end up being offenders instead of victims.
In many cases no one believes it is rape in the first place and they are put under such humiliating questioning.
The offenders try everything to discredit their character and draw them in the mud.
Apart from that they get stigmatized and ridiculed.
Following some of the comments in some threads here I almost fear that the same might happen to you if care is not taken.
I cannot blame any woman for keeping this incidence to herself and opting to suffer in silence.
It is not a show of weakness but a reflection of just how unsympathetic and callously society goes about dealing with such crimes.
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by MOBO444(f): 8:54pm On Aug 25, 2010
As a repected black brother that does not fear the truth, rape is a shameful act and should be discourged, but some black sister encourage it by the way they dress and locations they visit.
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by InkedNerd(f): 9:13pm On Aug 25, 2010
mutter:

yes it is.
No offence meant.
What I am basically trying to say is that most victims do not report despoil because they end up being offenders instead of victims.
In many cases no one believes it is despoil in the first place and they are put under such humiliating  questioning.
The offenders try everything to discredit their character and draw them in the mud.
Apart from that they get stigmatized and ridiculed.
Following some of the comments in some threads here I almost fear that the same might happen to you if care is not taken.
I cannot blame any woman for keeping this incidence to herself and opting to suffer in silence.
It is not a show of weakness but a reflection of just how unsympathetic and callously society goes about dealing with such crimes.

No offense?!?! Oh please!!! Don't give me that crap. I don't understand why you would even say something like that. If it was me that I was referring to in what I said previously, then I would have openly said that it was me, so don't do around splashing false information about me!!! As outspoken as I am on Nairaland, I would have made it an issue from the very beginning if it had happened to me. I have volunteered at organizations that help r.ape victims and I have a friend who was r.aped, and last but not least, I am a woman so yes I have a personal attachment to this issue but not in the manner that you are trying to make it seem. How dare you say such a thing about me?? How dare you tell me "Following some of the comments in some threads here I almost fear that the same might happen to you if care is not taken"?!?! C'mon, don't give me that crap. My openness about my sexuality is no reason for you to say something like that. I have nothing to hide nor be ashamed about when it comes to who I am and how I live my life. By you saying what you've said, it is an insult to me. It seems almost as though you're trying to make some sort of connection between my sexuality and r.ape. No woman ever asks to be r.aped and just because a woman is open about her sexuality does not mean that she wants to or will be r.aped. I don't see anyone going around telling men to tone it down when it comes to their sexuality. If you haven't forgotten, r.ape isn't just a crime that is limited to women. As I stated earlier, don't do around splashing false information about me. If you have nothing better to say then I suggest you not say anything at all.

MOBO444:

As a repected black brother that does not fear the truth, despoil is a shameful act and should be discourged, but some black sister encourage it by the way they dress and locations they visit.

As for you, the so called "respected black brother", how dare you say that women encourage it by the way they dress?!?! Have you lost you God damn mind?? A woman has the right to dress however the hell she feels. No means no!!!
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by mutter(f): 10:19pm On Aug 25, 2010
I just wonder why you are almost panicking at being tagged as a rape victim.
Anyway I have not followed your post nor do I have any knowledge of your sexual life.
Even a rape victim should be entitled to live a life still standing proud and tall.
Why bother helping victims of rape, when you have an attitude towards rape.
I mean almost panicking.
This disqualifies you mentally for such a function
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by InkedNerd(f): 10:33pm On Aug 25, 2010
mutter:

I just wonder why you are almost panicking at being tagged as a despoil victim.
Anyway I have not followed your post nor do I have any knowledge of your sexual life.
Even a despoil victim should be entitled to live a life still standing proud and tall.
Why bother helping victims of despoil, when you have an attitude towards despoil.
I mean almost panicking.
This disqualifies you mentally for such a function

I wasn't panicking but I don't appreciate being labeled at a victim if I am not one. Like I said previously, if I was a r.ape victim I wouldn't be afraid to say so. What have a problem with is you saying that you think that I was a r.ape victim in the forum. Had what you said been true, it would be a private matter and you mentioning it on a forum is inappropriate. That's not the sort of thing that you should mention publicly. And no, it doesn't qualify me mentally for an function.
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by violent(m): 10:38pm On Aug 25, 2010
Why is "r.ape" a censored word on Nairaland to begin with?. . .like its something not to be talked about?. . . .and then we expect r'ape victims to be more open?
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by InkedNerd(f): 10:41pm On Aug 25, 2010
Its because Seun likes to be the verbal police.
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by mutter(f): 11:47am On Aug 26, 2010
inky I did not say I suspected you were a rape victim,.
I only said that some people might think you were one.
The replies I see on most topics here (not your topics) suggest as much.
Anyway I strongly believe that more than 70% of Nigerian women have been raped at least once in thheir life.

1 Like

Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by Kinezeala(m): 11:59am On Aug 26, 2010
for a lady to be dressed so indescently exposing her sensitive sexy structures and not expect to be r.aped or get sexually harrassed is like keeping an uncoated iron out on the rain and not expect it rust.lol
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by SAGoddess: 12:11pm On Aug 26, 2010
Rape would be taken seriously if the law protected the victims. . . . . . . a friend of mine took the offenders to court but ended up being treated like a prostitute because the guy said the agreement was to pay her R500 and she pressed charges against him when he refused to pay shocked so this was the line of questioning my friend went through with no one but a bunch of men around her (closed court), some even laughing during her testimony. The rapist never even took the stand, friend walked out and the guy was released after being in jail for 6 months!

The law rarely looks after the victims and the abusers know this! Very sad indeed! sad
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by SAGoddess: 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2010
Kinezeala:

for a lady to be dressed so indescently exposing her sensitive sexy structures and not expect to be r.aped or get sexually harrassed is like keeping an uncoated iron out on the rain and not expect it rust.lol

And rape will never end with men like you around, wish you and your friend MOBO would hold hands and jump off a cliff!

When you guys walk around shirtless, are we supposed to jump at you?

IGNORANCE is no bliss at all!
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by InkedNerd(f): 2:21pm On Aug 26, 2010
SA Goddess:

And despoil will never end with men like you around, wish you and your friend MOBO would hold hands and jump off a cliff!

When you guys walk around shirtless, are we supposed to jump at you?

IGNORANCE is no bliss at all!

Don't mind his stupidity. And to think people get upset when a woman openly says that African society is sexist.
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by tosyne007(m): 2:41pm On Aug 26, 2010
mutter:

inky I did not say I suspected you were a despoil victim,.
Anyway I strongly believe that more than 70% of Nigerian women have been despoiled at least once in thheir life.

is that true? or is it an assumption cos that's quite high.

anyway, r.ape is not just good (morally, biblically, whatever way we are looking at it) and anyone who indulges in such an act is definately not in a good frame of mind. such people (if caught) should be sent to rehab
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by anitabest(f): 11:53am On Aug 27, 2010
that is true dear.
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by chic2pimp(m): 9:13pm On Oct 03, 2010
mutter:

inky I did not say I suspected you were a despoil victim,.
Anyway I strongly believe that more than 70% of Nigerian women have been despoiled at least once in thheir life.
Have you got any Evidence to support your claim? undecided
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by tpiah: 2:18am On Oct 04, 2010
despoil generally goes unreported in nigeria.

**i wish a more serious person had started this thread but oh well**
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by Sissy3(f): 4:22am On Oct 04, 2010
chic2pimp:

Have you got any Evidence to support your claim? undecided

it will be hard to support because of the shame and stigma attached to despoil. hence many women and girls very reluctance to report

and also we dont have a database of criminal statistics to at least record the incidence of those who had the courage and gut to report it.

although the number quoted seem very high, which i have doubts about. however, i think that many women/girls have at least experience some sort of sexual harassment in their life in naija if not from grumpy old azzholes, preying on young girls, it will be some idiotas who feel entitled to womans body because he has a thirdleg
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by manmustwac(m): 2:45pm On Oct 04, 2010
One of my ex girlfriends told me she was dis virgined when she was r.aped in her secondary school days back in calabar. She told her mother who said that she should not talk about such things. She told me the boy who did it has done it to at least 4 other girls in the same school. My heart go's out to all rape victims and those who say that they cause it themselves by the way they dress are FOOLS!

1 Like

Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by InkedNerd(f): 11:13pm On Oct 04, 2010
manmustwac:

One of my ex girlfriends told me she was dis virgined when she was r.aped in her secondary school days back in calabar. She told her mother who said that she should not talk about such things. She told me the boy who did it has done it to at least 4 other girls in the same school. My heart go's out to all despoil victims and those who say that they cause it themselves by the way they dress are FOOLS!

Yes indeed. People who think like that really need to educate themselves. Makes me wonder how they would act had the same thing happened to their mothers, sisters, or daughters undecided.
Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 04, 2010
hmm tough one there . . . i know how much r.ape can destroy a life. Any r.apist caught does not deserve to live period.

1 Like

Re: Many Young Women Who Have Been Raped By Guys Are Often Ashamed To Report Them by Sissy3(f): 8:53am On Oct 07, 2010
manmustwac:

One of my ex girlfriends told me she was dis virgined when she was r.aped in her secondary school days back in calabar. She told her mother who said that she should not talk about such things. She told me the boy who did it has done it to at least 4 other girls in the same school. My heart go's out to all despoil victims and those who say that they cause it themselves by the way they dress are FOOLS!

thank you. at least u r in the minority of men who clearly understand this

(1) (Reply)

8 South African Police Drags Man To Death / Woman Stripped, Paraded Naked On Donkey In Indian Village / See How Police Beat 50-year-old Widow To Death In Akure (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.