Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,064 members, 7,828,770 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? (571 Views)

We Need To Go Back To Burning Women Alive: Nick Fuentes / Neglect Of The Boy Child: We Need To Speak Up / "We Need More People" - Tanzanian President Warns Women To Stop Taking Pills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by ewawumi(f): 1:44pm On Feb 20, 2019
Right now, I don't understand how Nigerian banks operate anymore especially FCMB with all their fraudulent charges. Today was the height of their hypocrisy!
My brother's phone was lost alongside a couple of stuffs yesterday evening. These was a properly secured phone which won't even load in without fingerprint and pattern. The sim cards were well secured too and its the only device linked to his accounts.
He went to FCMB in a bid to unlink the device and link the new one he would be getting and realised all his savings amounting to 500k had been withdrawn using short code. This got me wondering why we will be asked to enter a secure pin when using shorcode if a total stranger can actually reset the pin without any security check to affirm if its the owner or not. Now FCMB is saying they can't reverse the transaction despite the money being transferred to another bank account. Will it be safe to say FCMB is privy to the crime. Please help share till something is done! It is actually a money meant for a surgery and such a life n death matter. FCMB should do the right thing o!!!!
Please help push this to front page till justice is served!!!!
@funlord @tabbaz @lalasticlala
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by funlord(m): 9:33pm On Feb 20, 2019
Seems he was scammed by someone he knows. This sounds strange

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by Acidosis(m): 9:42pm On Feb 20, 2019
FCMB won't grant you justice. Whoever stole the money has the pin to the phone/sim and the correct USSD pin. Get your account statement and involve the Nigerian Police, CBN and EFCC.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by crackhaus: 10:22pm On Feb 20, 2019
I haven't tried resetting/changing my USSD PIN before but I find it strange that a PIN change/reset can be done without first inputting the original PIN.

Whoever did those transfers probably knew the PIN, that's all I can deduce from this.
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by ewawumi(f): 11:01pm On Feb 20, 2019
funlord:

Seems he was scammed by someone he knows. This sounds strange
Well, I don't think so. He practically knows nobody in Lagos. The weirdest part is the fact that FCMB always stops him from making more than 100k transaction via USSD but this thief made the transfer in 20k portions till it was exhausted. Meaning he or she did 25 different transactions consequently.
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by ewawumi(f): 11:02pm On Feb 20, 2019
Acidosis:

FCMB won't grant you justice. Whoever stole the money has the pin to the phone/sim and the correct USSD pin. Get your account statement and involve the Nigerian Police, CBN and EFCC.
the Nigerian police ha sheen involved, they asked that we come back tomorrow for court orders to the bank and other stuffs. I just don't know how far they will help
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by ewawumi(f): 11:04pm On Feb 20, 2019
Please, to all nairalanders, this is a public appeal; if you or anyone you know can help get justice done, we will appreciate. It is extremely important as a lot is at stake here including family ties. You can reach us via 08171602230 on whatsapp. Thank you all
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:25pm On Feb 20, 2019
It's very easy to trace.

You said the money was transferred to another bank account abi? Allow police to obtain the court order so that you can get details of the beneficiaries and take it from there
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by funlord(m): 9:52am On Feb 21, 2019
ewawumi:

Well, I don't think so. He practically knows nobody in Lagos. The weirdest part is the fact that FCMB always stops him from making more than 100k transaction via USSD but this thief made the transfer in 20k portions till it was exhausted. Meaning he or she did 25 different transactions consequently.

The bank cannot say they don't have the information of the account the cash went to. Get a lawyer and demand to see the branch manager but I am still convinced someone close to your brother stole the cash. He was careless with his pin
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by ewawumi(f): 12:54pm On Feb 21, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
It's very easy to trace.

You said the money was transferred to another bank account abi? Allow police to obtain the court order so that you can get details of the beneficiaries and take it from there
Police and court order? That one nah story for the Gods o!
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by ewawumi(f): 1:01pm On Feb 21, 2019
My fellow nairalanders, I practically don't understand how this country ended up inhumane and where it is gonna lead us to!
Got back to police station this morning and they requested for 3000 before issuing police report. I paid that and the next thing is that I should go and look for 10,000 as payment for court order, 5,000 for their logistics and transport to court and another 30,000 for phone tracking. They also told us to go and make enough money ready for the case investigation and proceedings. We pleaded that we don't av such funds and that we will settle them gradually; the next statement this arm robber in police uniform will say is that we should go and sell some properties to raise the money. I don't even know the next step to take right now! Please, if you know anyway you can help, please do! A life is at stake here!
@Divepen and other mods, please help push this to front page!
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by meneski(m): 3:49pm On Feb 21, 2019
na wa o... Dis money matter!!!!!... May God help u guys In Jesus name. Na wa o. Dis country don cast.
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by Trendytessy(f): 4:39pm On Feb 21, 2019
Nigeria police are never reliable... They are criminals in uniform. If Op has all these money to dash out, she could as well forget the stolen amount. God help us in this country.
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by Brazzaville(m): 5:54pm On Feb 21, 2019
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by ewawumi(f): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2019
Trendytessy:
Nigeria police are never reliable... They are criminals in uniform. If Op has all these money to dash out, she could as well forget the stolen amount. God help us in this country.
Abi o, if av got such money, y not kukuma go n use it to sort what I need d stolen money for
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by ewawumi(f): 9:52am On Feb 22, 2019
meneski:
na wa o... Dis money matter!!!!!... May God help u guys In Jesus name. Na wa o. Dis country don cast.
Amen o, tnx
Re: Why Do We Need PIN To Make Transactions Via Banks' USSD? by Trendytessy(f): 3:33pm On Feb 22, 2019
ewawumi:

Abi o, if av got such money, y not kukuma go n use it to sort what I need d stolen money for

I tell you.. I suggest you just forget it cos the police won't do anything

(1) (Reply)

See What Husband Did Wife For Trying To Divorce Her / New Microwave For Sale / If Your Parents Trained You Up To Tertiary Level

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.