Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,761 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? (1908 Views)

Lady Uses Kung-fu Combo During Fight. Bloodied Her Opponent (GRAPHIC VIDEO) / Insecurity: Villagers Stockpile Arms For Self-Defence / I Stabbed My Husband In Self Defense - Policewoman (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by LagBlogger(m): 11:06pm On Feb 21, 2019
In this article we are going to be looking at whether or not Kung fu (the Chinese general term for martial arts) is effective for self-defense in our present time. I mentioned present time because Kung Fu is mostly ancient martial arts (with roots to over 1,500 years ago). In case you are not aware there are over 200 styles of Kung Fu but the most popular types are; Tai Chi, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Sanda/wushu, Crane style among others.

To address this question I will be examining 3 factors that determine if a martial art is effective for self-defense namely; application for street fighting, combat usefulness and training method.

Is Kung Fu Applicable to Street Fighting?
Most traditional martial arts suffer from a common problem of being too theoretical. They operate with what is called forms (in which the practitioner carries out fighting techniques in anticipation of certain responses and vice versa). For instance the kung fu master might imagine fighting a taller faster opponent who will try to punch his head then he counters with a tiger fist or he throws a spinning hook kick to the back of the head knocking out the attacker, he will then go on to teach this techniques to his students. In reality this type of training doesn’t work because most street fights are unpredictable, there is no single technique that can answer any attack all the time. What really works are fight IQ and muscle memory which enables a fighter adapt to any fight situation and apply the best technique at any given time there is an opportunity to successfully land it. Both qualities are gained from months or years of fighting against live resistance from skilled fighters. This is known as sparring and the truth is most Kung Fu styles don’t do functional sparring – in which both fighters try to hurt each other to a limited extent under a controlled setting. Cooperative style fighting is not functional sparring and that is what most Kung Fu styles teach. The only style of Kung Fu that works for street fighting is Wushu Sanshou (also known as Chinese kickboxing)

How useful is Kung Fu for Combat?
Most national armies have a combat/fighting system. They typically study different martial arts and pick out only techniques and fighting systems that work. Others that fail under live resistance or during combat training are discarded. For instance, the US marines have Marine Martial Arts, Israeli defense force has Krav Maga, Chinese Army uses Sanchou for instance. Most national armies use only practical fighting techniques for their soldiers to use in hand to hand combat on the battle field. The martial arts which always produce these techniques have been; boxing, wrestling, Judo, Muay Thai, Kali and Silat. Kung Fu has also been tested for practicality in the UFC and has been found wanting.

Training Methods
The most effective martial arts are those that emphasize functional sparring and practical trainings such that the practitioners train exactly the way there are expected to fight under very stressful situations. Take for instance most fights whether street fights or life or death situations happen very fast, with a lot of energy and force expended. The most realistic martial arts will also train you in this way so that you learn to fight with speed, precision, stamina (maximum force possible within a short time) and agility. Kung fu is strong on Stamina and speed but not on precision as the techniques when pressure tested tend to miss their mark or deliver relatively slower strikes. The only exception is sanchou.

Conclusion
In Nigeria today, nobody teaches sanchou, so whatever kung fu lessons you are receiving will fail you at your hour of need if you run into a skilled fighter in a street fight. You are better off learning; Judo, Kickboxing, boxing, MMA, Karate, Catch wrestling or Kali. The argument of it is not the style but the practitioner will fail because Kung fu masters nearly always lost stylistic fights against boxers, MMA fighters and Judokas.

Source: https://punchingschool..com/2019/02/kung-fu-training-in-nigeria-how.html
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by johnpaul1101(m): 11:17pm On Feb 21, 2019
hehehehe, waste of time.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by LagBlogger(m): 11:19pm On Feb 21, 2019
johnpaul1101:
hehehehe, waste of time.

Why then comment on a post if it's a waste of time? Or you mean the martial arts training?
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by HungerMustGo: 11:24pm On Feb 21, 2019
Martial arts only works on TV. There you get to finish off a hundred men with just one kick.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by meobizy(f): 11:26pm On Feb 21, 2019
Na MMA sure pass.
If I have two mma fighters as friends I will confidently join as the third man in a 30 vs 3 fight situation.
Those people are living weapons.

1 Like

Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by LagBlogger(m): 11:27pm On Feb 21, 2019
HungerMustGo:
Martial arts only works on TV. There you get to finish off a hundred men with just one kick.

Not all. An MMA fighter, an experienced judoka or even a boxer will crush most people in a street fight. Some martial arts work but most don't.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by Bintabisiriyu: 11:27pm On Feb 21, 2019
Oga 4get filmtrick o, no near oshodi wit dis ur kung fu 1 bottle for ur neck baba God will welcome u soon.
KUNG FU ko jetli ni.

1 Like

Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by LagBlogger(m): 11:29pm On Feb 21, 2019
Bintabisiriyu:
Oga 4get filmtrick o, no near oshodi wit dis ur kung fu 1 bottle for ur neck baba God will welcome u soon.
KUNG FU ko jetli ni.

I'm sure if you read the article you will understand my point. We are both saying the same thing.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by Arthurity1(m): 11:45pm On Feb 21, 2019
johnpaul1101:
hehehehe, waste of time.
If it's a waste of time then go and face a krav maga practitioner and see whether he will not mend your destiny.

1 Like

Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by Arthurity1(m): 11:52pm On Feb 21, 2019
Kung fu is an ancient style of martial arts so it might not work in today's street brawling. The more effective martial arts would be muay tai, mma, jiu-jitsu, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, krav maga and a few others and then maybe karate and taek won do

1 Like

Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by LagBlogger(m): 12:00am On Feb 22, 2019
Arthurity1:
Kung fu is an ancient style of martial arts so it might not work in today's street brawling. The more effective martial arts would be muay tai, mma, jiu-jitsu, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, krav maga and a few others and then maybe karate and taek won do

Taekwando is very unreliable. An experienced boxer with good footwork will destroy a taekwando guy easily. Most Taekwando guys lose in K-1 and other MMA fight championships.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by Hoodbilonia: 4:50am On Feb 22, 2019
Krav maga only

1 Like

Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by LagBlogger(m): 6:43am On Feb 22, 2019
Hoodbilonia:
Krav maga only

Not only. Muay Thai, bjj, mma, silat, boxing, judo and kickboxing are also effective.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by mysticwarrior(m): 7:42am On Feb 22, 2019
U wan use kungfu take fight for Naija? Hmm I sorry for you...them go use juju take Nak you and your kungfu, abi you think say na shoalin temple for China you dey?
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by Hoodbilonia: 9:05am On Feb 22, 2019
God nor go allow me see any of these abeg
Wetin
I no be tout o
LagBlogger:

Not only. Muay Thai, bjj, mma, silat, boxing, judo and kickboxing are also effective.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by Emvicprints1: 10:12am On Feb 22, 2019
not in nigeria. in Nigeria after slap the next available weapons follow up in warri is after u de try mr next is weapon in benin next is cut to size barrel
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by pyod(f): 10:06am On Mar 09, 2019
Where can I learn am in Abuja
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by ShifuWhite(m): 3:40pm On Feb 26, 2020
This post was posted in 2019 and the thread owner said...

Conclusion
In Nigeria today, nobody teaches sanchou, so whatever kung fu lessons you are receiving will fail you at your hour of need if you run into a skilled fighter in a street fight. You are better off learning; Judo, Kickboxing, boxing, MMA, Karate, Catch wrestling or Kali. The argument of it is not the style but the practitioner will fail because Kung fu masters nearly always lost stylistic fights against boxers, MMA fighters and Judokas.

I started Kung Fu in 2005 with Sanshou... You only talk on what you have more knowledge about.

Kung Fu is an ancient arts as you said... But it is still effective in today’s modern society.

It's my 15 years practicing shaolin sanshou and Quan fa... With my experience and exposure, I maintained the famous saying of the shaolin monk "best fighters don't fight,"

It's even laughable comparing Kung Fu to Karate and Judo.

It is well...

Fact check: I am a Shaolin Lay Monk (Shi Xing Yong), founder and Head Instructor of Shaolin Lineage Kung Fu (www.kungfu.com.ng).

So, it's a complete fallacy saying "so whatever kung fu lessons you are receiving will fail you at your hour of need if you run into a skilled fighter in a street fight."

You might want to have a trial spar with me or any of my students... We training at Entrance B, National Stadium Surulere, Lagos. We always open for challenge in order to correct the misconception about shaolin Kung Fu.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by LagBlogger(m): 11:13am On May 17, 2020
ShifuWhite:
This post was posted in 2019 and the thread owner said...

Conclusion

I started Kung Fu in 2005 with Sanshou... You only talk on what you have more knowledge about.

Kung Fu is an ancient arts as you said... But it is still effective in today’s modern society.

It's my 15 years practicing shaolin sanshou and Quan fa... With my experience and exposure, I maintained the famous saying of the shaolin monk "best fighters don't fight,"

It's even laughable comparing Kung Fu to Karate and Judo.

It is well...

Fact check: I am a Shaolin Lay Monk (Shi Xing Yong), founder and Head Instructor of Shaolin Lineage Kung Fu (www.kungfu.com.ng).

So, it's a complete fallacy saying "so whatever kung fu lessons you are receiving will fail you at your hour of need if you run into a skilled fighter in a street fight."

You might want to have a trial spar with me or any of my students... We training at Entrance B, National Stadium Surulere, Lagos. We always open for challenge in order to correct the misconception about shaolin Kung Fu.

My brother. Kung fu is not effective for fighting. I don't need to do trial sparring with you to prove my point.

Besides I live in Abuja.

May be for meditation and breathing Tai Chi and some other kung fu styles are good.

All kung fu masters (some with more than 35 years experience) who ever challenged MMA guys, boxers or kick boxers always got the a** thoroughly wooped.

You can check youtube or google for proof.

By the way Judo is the second most functional martial arts for one-on-one, unarmed (no weapons involved) self defense after catch wrestling. Don't even go there. Sparring with a skilled Judo guy will be suicide - if he doesn't sweep and throw you head down or neck twisting while landing awkwardly or if they decide to submit you in standing position, your kung fu techniques will fly out of the window.

Striking martial arts are kings when it comes to one to many self defense provided no weapon is involved.

A skilled striker (boxer, karateka, taekwando or kick boxer) will nearly always lose to a skilled grappler (judo, wrestling or BJJ) in a one on one fight.

Ever wondered why 8 out of 10 UFC champions are either primarily wrestlers, BJJ practitioners, Judo practitioners?

kick boxers come a distant second to grapplers.

No kung fu master has ever been a world champion in any MMA competition in the whole world including china where kung fu is from.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 17, 2020
It was dead on arrival.
Re: How Effective Is Kung Fu Training For Self Defense in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:51am On May 18, 2020
Which of 'em y'all mentioned is the best? When we talkin' bout; street fightin', one on one physical combatin' etc...

(1) (Reply)

The Pastor Who Has Sex With Church Members And Uses Their Pants For Rituals / A Popular Queer guy called DAVE was Murdered In His Resident By Unknown Culprits / Bayelsa Vigilante Rescue 13Yrs Old Girl Locked, Sexual Molested, Beaten In Hotel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.