Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,661 members, 7,823,875 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

What Should I Do Next In My Career? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Should I Do Next In My Career? (1447 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / My Career Dilemma / Pls I'm Confused I Need Advise On My Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should I Do Next In My Career? by damoche07(m): 4:10pm On Apr 24, 2007
I was mulling over what to do next in my career so as to remain competitive when i remembered i have got people like you out there who can help. Your advice might be the one that will make me.

I am a fresh graduate in the Planning department of the exploratory arm of an oil company. I am an economics graduate.

I have thought of doing so many things like taking a MBA, MSc, taking some computer courses, and of late I have been thinking of Project Management courses.

I need advice on what you think is the best thing to do on the short run.
I will greatly appreciate any thoughtful response.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by Aproko(f): 3:50pm On Apr 25, 2007
Why are you thinking about the short run? I personally believe in the big picture. I would rather do something that will pay off on the long run.

However, an MBA is an advantage in a lot of fields so you could try that or specialize in an area you are already familiar with.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by DewDrop(f): 6:21pm On Apr 25, 2007
[center]Whether short or long run,
you have to be able to define your goals and aspirations
if your goal is to be the country leader of your company-
then read up on the educational/techinical competencies required of that position
and start working at it!
If you don't know what you want to do, you wont know what to do to get there!
so take some time to think of what it is you want to do
cool[/center]
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by funmise(f): 6:34pm On Apr 25, 2007
Project Management is a very good post graduate course to invest in. You can never regret studying project management. It would be an aid to you if you want to be in charge in any field you choose to work in. All the same, what you choose depends on your location.

Project managers in the UK earns alot.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by 1forall: 6:44pm On Apr 25, 2007
I think you should define where you want to be in the next couple of years then try and start working on getting the qualifications for it from now.

Do that by observing what qualifications are required for current vacancies that match what you want to do in the short run so you know what you need to possess to get there

All you mentioned are great but Project Management may be more relevant given what youre doing right now, but then you may be considering a career change so it depends. .

Spend time thinking about it, good luck!
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by One: 7:10pm On Apr 25, 2007
I was exactly like you. I used to work in the Project Control Dept of an oil servicing firm when I was in naija although in a lesser capacity. You will not be making a mistake in advancing your career in Proj Mgt. Get training on the use of proj. mgt computer applications like primavera and you will be tops. Better still pursue a course in Proj. Mgt tech. It sure pays.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 25, 2007
wish I could help.
The only thing I know about oil management is how to put it in my automobile at the cheapest price grin
Follow the best line of career that interests you the most.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by debosky(m): 7:29pm On Apr 25, 2007
my advice? stay in your position in planning for a while longer (Since you said you're a fresh grad), get to know what kind of training will help you in that department, or any other one you might be interested in. I wouldn't advise you running off right now to get more certificates, on job experience and determining what your real passions are is much more important.

Keep your job, talk to superiors about what kind of qualifications help best in that line, don't follow the crowd to do Proj Mgt, it might not be the thing for you. a few more years experience and you'll be clearer.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by DewDrop(f): 8:03pm On Apr 25, 2007
@ debosky
Abeg, where in Onitsha do they have a rock climbing wall set up?
Seriously.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by debosky(m): 8:04pm On Apr 25, 2007
It is located within the Tura Sales Depot premises - for staff use only grin grin
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by DewDrop(f): 8:11pm On Apr 25, 2007
[center]you may have found a convert,
Sign me up for Tura Intl.
I'll spread the propaganda 4 sure!
4 access to a rock climbing wall!

cool
[/center]
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by DewDrop(f): 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2007
[center]And if I can't get a job there,
then do they have any of those
collect 25 bar codes of Tura products,
send them in with my name and get a day pass to tour the company grounds?
And climb d rock wall!?!?
Say yes!!!
cool[/center]
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by debosky(m): 8:15pm On Apr 25, 2007
I'll contact the marketing dept about that, just go out and buy a few more of our products and I'll see what I can do wink

@ Original poster, you could as well consider a position in the planning dept of Tura Intl, we are always looking for fresh talent wink
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by spoilt(f): 4:24am On Apr 26, 2007
i am at a point in my career where im at my wits end.im tired of being stressed up and wired so tight. i am considering so many ideas and career changes. im not the best adviser for you. grin grin
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by DMD(m): 10:56am On Apr 26, 2007
For having a job of that nature, I would suggest that you could go for MBA, this will enable you climb up the ladder and at the end become a management staff.
That reminds me, I studied an oil related course up to a master's degree level, but no experience in that area, please, if there is any openings in your establishment or anywhere, don't fail to call-08035609298, I want my passion for that industry to rule my world. Thanks
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by junegirl(f): 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2007
@post: ask yourself, where do you want to be in 3 years? That should give you an idea of what to you need to get there. I personally think that MBA is getting too common. Do you what will set you apart from the crowd. What will make employers fall over themselves for your services.

Can someone please tell me where to go for good project management courses in Nigeria? And tell me, is it solely for finance majors?
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by lekush(m): 4:39pm On Apr 26, 2007
Planning is a very good department in the oil & gas industry. Your course of study is very useful in comparing what is planned and what is obtainable.
I work in an oil and gas industry and i am planning to break into project planning. you will have the opportunity to learn so many applications most of which have to do withg project management. It depends on you. If you think you like project management, then the planning role is very good for you. i am talking because i know people that are involved in planning in the field are really 'big boys'
Please let me know if you need more info and i will give you my no. and we will have a chat.
Cheers.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by tarfaadam(m): 4:16pm On Apr 27, 2007
JUST PRAY OVER IT AND SEE WAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE NEXT WEEK
BECS THE DOWN FULL OF A TREE IS NOT THE END OF HIS LIFE.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by lokwe(m): 12:59pm On Apr 29, 2007
tarfa_adam:

JUST PRAY OVER IT AND SEE WAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE NEXT WEEK
BECS THE DOWN FULL OF A TREE IS NOT THE END OF HIS LIFE.
like de poster said just pray over it
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by obanikoro2(m): 11:16am On May 03, 2007
When too many hands join cook soup, the soup don spoil be dat. grin

@Poster, Adhere to wat some reasonable guys have been saying not all.

First, pray about it. Secondly, draw &consider ur plan. Thirdly, make ur decision based on ur plan, resources and wat God says.

I cant tell u to do dis or dat or not to do anything.

And lastly, MAKE DAT DECISION NOW!!!

No time to waste brother.
Re: What Should I Do Next In My Career? by obanikoro2(m): 11:24am On May 03, 2007
DMD:

That reminds me, I studied an oil related course up to a master's degree level, but no experience in that area, please, if there is any openings in your establishment or anywhere, don't fail to call-08035609298,

I love this bros style cool
He is making good use of the opportunity to seek for a job in the oil and gas.

Na the same boat we dey bros grin
Oil and Gas has not just being my dream,it has being my life!
Anyone wit any info on vacancies in Oil&Gas should pls mail me at dancewitand@yahoo.co.uk.

I would appreciate it. Thanks kiss

(1) (Reply)

How To Become A Pilot, Who Knows / Can I Make It With, B.eng In Civil Engr / See Why First Class Students Never Became First Class People In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.