Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? (972 Views)

When Jubril Came To Mary, Was He A Man Or An Angel? / The Only Antidote For Sin / Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:26pm On Feb 27, 2019
If Mary was sinless, why was she unclean and had to offer a sacrifice for sin?
by Matt Slick

Roman Catholics teach that Mary never sinned. But, if that is the case, why did she need to offer an atonement according to Old Testament Law (Lev. 12:1-8) after giving birth to Jesus? According to the Old Testament, it was only the mother who needed purifying after a birth because of the issue of blood. She was ritually unclean. If she had a male child, the days of her period of uncleanness was seven days, then the child was circumcised, then she remained unclean for 33 days (v. 4)--for a total of 40 days. If she bore a female child, her period of uncleanness would be 14 days plus 66 days for a total of 80 days. Notice in Leviticus 12:2 it says if she bears a male child, she shall be unclean for seven days. If Mary was sinless, how could she also be unclean?

Below is a chart that has Leviticus 12 and Luke 2 side by side. You can see from the text that Mary had to offer a sacrifice for uncleanness and as it says in Leviticus 12:8, a sacrifice for sin offering that is an atonement. Why would Mary, if she is sinless as the Roman Catholics assert, be unclean and also need a sacrifice?

https://carm.org/catholic/mary-unclean-offered-sacrifice-for-sin

2 Shares

Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by uboma(m): 7:11pm On Feb 27, 2019
Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ, was born imperfect as you and I.

1 Like

Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by CodeTemplar: 8:12pm On Feb 27, 2019
She accepted Jesus the moment she believed the angel of God that told her about Jesus.
My understanding is that Jesus cleanses.
If your child a virgin bears a child what will be your reaction.
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:47am On Feb 28, 2019
I hope you believe that by giving birth to you your mother too sinned and became a sinner

It is always silly when a supposedly educated christian decides that the ceremonial uncleaniness of the old law is a issue of personal moral fault

Ola, a jew who touches blood or the dead etc becomes ceremonially unclean, so too a woman who gives birth, it is not a moral fault aka sin, it is ceremonial uncleaniness.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by johnydon22(m): 7:59am On Feb 28, 2019
OLAADEGBU:
If Mary was sinless, why was she unclean and had to offer a sacrifice for sin?
by Matt Slick

Roman Catholics teach that Mary never sinned. But, if that is the case, why did she need to offer an atonement according to Old Testament Law (Lev. 12:1-8) after giving birth to Jesus? According to the Old Testament, it was only the mother who needed purifying after a birth because of the issue of blood. She was ritually unclean. If she had a male child, the days of her period of uncleanness was seven days, then the child was circumcised, then she remained unclean for 33 days (v. 4)--for a total of 40 days. If she bore a female child, her period of uncleanness would be 14 days plus 66 days for a total of 80 days. Notice in Leviticus 12:2 it says if she bears a male child, she shall be unclean for seven days. If Mary was sinless, how could she also be unclean?

Below is a chart that has Leviticus 12 and Luke 2 side by side. You can see from the text that Mary had to offer a sacrifice for uncleanness and as it says in Leviticus 12:8, a sacrifice for sin offering that is an atonement. Why would Mary, if she is sinless as the Roman Catholics assert, be unclean and also need a sacrifice?

https://carm.org/catholic/mary-unclean-offered-sacrifice-for-sin

Mary sinned by giving birth to Jesus?

So Jesus was a sin?

Also, a woman menstruating is sinning.

Really?

Your theological grasp is like that of a kid.

And even by the old testament laws you posted, uncleanliness doesn't necessary refer to sin.

1 Like

Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 28, 2019
Mary is a sinner because she is a descendant of Adam.
Mary needed the salvation of her soul just hence she called God her saviour.

Luke 1:47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

God had send salvation to all men through his Son Jesus Christ and Jesus saves sinners.

Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mary herself knew she needed salvation because she knew of her sinful condition.
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:25pm On Feb 28, 2019
uboma:

Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ, was born imperfect as you and I.

Roman catholics are taught to believe otherwise. cool
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by vincentus16: 3:51pm On Feb 28, 2019
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by Aaronsrod: 3:56pm On Feb 28, 2019
Mary is the Mother of Jesus.

She is a woman.

Evil entered the world through the wickedness of woman.

Therefore like all women she must be unclean.

Furthermore, she was not washed in the blood of her Son Jesus.

She lived and died a sinner.

The Bible tells us such will face eternity in Hellfire.

It is well.

1 Like

Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by uboma(m): 5:27pm On Feb 28, 2019
Aaronsrod:
Mary is the Mother of Jesus.
She is a woman.
Evil entered the world through the wickedness of woman.
Therefore like all women she must be unclean.
Furthermore, she was not washed in the blood of her Son Jesus.
She lived and died a sinner.
The Bible tells us such will face eternity in Hellfire.
It is well.

Stop placing the whole blame on the woman, Eve.
Adam, who should have known better, was thoroughly deceived like Eve.
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by uboma(m): 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

That part is man made doctrine. It is not Biblical.
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by sonmvayina(m): 10:43pm On Feb 28, 2019
Christianity and Judaism are 2 different religions.. The Christian only stole or borrowed the Jewish scriptures (Tanakh) and added their own at the end of it...
They are 2 different belief system.....
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by 1Sharon(f): 5:01pm On Mar 02, 2019
uboma:

Stop placing the whole blame on the woman, Eve.

Adam, who should have known better, was thoroughly deceived like Eve.

The snake went to eve not Adam.

Thank you.
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by orunto27: 5:27pm On Mar 02, 2019
Why should OLAADEGBU pray for himself and for others?
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:38pm On Mar 02, 2019
orunto27:

Why should OLAADEGBU pray for himself and for others?

I pray to the Father to forgive me just as I have forgiven others. I love others just as I have loved myself. wink

1 Like

Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by orunto27: 11:11pm On Mar 02, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

I pray to the Father to forgive me just as I have forgiven others. I love others just as I have loved myself. wink

Same goes for Mary. Apostles are now Sons and Daughters of Mary and not of Eve anymore. Mary had atoned for our sins.
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by authehighness: 11:14pm On Mar 02, 2019
hail mary full of grace,ask yourself this question,salvation brought grace,why is mary filled with grace before salvation,you believed blood of Jesus has the ability to purify you from sin,from which body did Jesus got the blood,because Jesus is a spirit and he has no blood,do you know during the period of your so called mary uncleaness Jesus was fed with her breast milk,my dear leave mary alone don't allow your hatred for catholic church make you post nonsense about mary,she deserved some respect and honour,even sarah inspite her short comings is still honoured in judaism.the mystery of incarnation is beyond you,is not by force to honour her but allow her be.shalom
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by daveP(m): 11:37pm On Mar 02, 2019
Im shocked that some people think the NT started with the birth of Jesus.

It started when He was baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost and it was handed over finally to men when he ascended on high. That is exactly when the NT Age started.

Its why the law was still very relevant and adhered to by even Jesus himself.

Technically, i would say the NT started with the tearing of that veil!!!! Exactly

so sorry to all thinking Mary was sinless o. Personally if she felt she was, there was absolute no need for the sacrifice and her singing that song in the Luke's Gospels. The Magnificent, i guess.

so basically from the scriptures, there is no valid verse to proof she was All Holy and all Full of grace.

No Christian can ever be full of Grace. We are expressing in measures, cos the Kingdom is not yet come..... simple!!!
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by authehighness: 8:50am On Mar 03, 2019
daveP:
Im shocked that some people think the NT started with the birth of Jesus.

It started when He was baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost and it was handed over finally to men when he ascended on high. That is exactly when the NT Age started.

Its why the law was still very relevant and adhered to by even Jesus himself.

Technically, i would say the NT started with the tearing of that veil!!!! Exactly

so sorry to all thinking Mary was sinless o. Personally if she felt she was, there was absolute no need for the sacrifice and her singing that song in the Luke's Gospels. The Magnificent, i guess.

so basically from the scriptures, there is no valid verse to proof she was All Holy and all Full of grace.

No Christian can ever be full of Grace. We are expressing in measures, cos the Kingdom is not yet come..... simple!!!
stop posting heresy God know her more than she know herself and God that created her through archangel gabriel said she is full of grace,did Jesus baptism means he needed repentance capital no,even paul when he arrived jerusalem after his missionary journey where he preach against law still underwent purification according to the law,let me tell you mosaic law is more than religious practises to the jew,it is also their tradition
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by daveP(m): 4:38pm On Mar 03, 2019
authehighness:
stop posting heresy God know her more than she know herself and God that created her through archangel gabriel said she is full of grace,did Jesus baptism means he needed repentance capital no,even paul when he arrived jerusalem after his missionary journey where he preach against law still underwent purification according to the law,let me tell you mosaic law is more than religious practises to the jew,it is also their tradition

Hahhaha. Where in the scriptures did Gabriel say those words to her, pls providr from the Gospels!!!!

All i sae was that she eas high favoured of God. Infer what that means yourself. And if you have issues with the meaning, tell me so i can break it down.

God knows us all more than us. He said "All have sinned"

Any person born of a woman has the adamic dna in him or her. so pls where did her all pious purity come from if not some heretical cooked up dessert from a sect.

Christ discussed with John why he needed water baptism. It visible for us all to see. But i find it insulting that in order to proof Mary was all pure, you are using an example of Jesus to justify that. Now that is a false idea. A very bad one to start with.

Funny enough, Water Baptism started well with John and not the law. So why are you, in order to justify Mary, still spewing more stuff not backed up by scriptures.

i am still waiting for where Gabriel called her full of grace pls. Provide.
Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:38pm On Mar 04, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Ola not just catholics belive in the sinlessness of Mary, The Greek, antiochene, Alexadrian, Russian, Coptic and Armenian Orthodox church all believe same. In fact that belief is found in every ancient branch of christianity including protestant reformers like Martin Luther i believe.

Ofcourse you disagree with them and have your own view, but the least you could have done is present a case that is sound and biblically coherent not the childish copy and paste you did above which confuses ceremonial uncleaniness with personal fault.

You can try again maybe this time begin with 'all have sinned'.

1 Like

Re: If Mary Was Sinless, Why Was She Unclean And Had To Offer A Sacrifice For Sin? by authehighness: 11:26pm On Mar 04, 2019
daveP:

Hahhaha. Where in the scriptures did Gabriel say those words to her, pls providr from the Gospels!!!!

All i sae was that she eas high favoured of God. Infer what that means yourself. And if you have issues with the meaning, tell me so i can break it down.

God knows us all more than us. He said "All have sinned"

Any person born of a woman has the adamic dna in him or her. so pls where did her all pious purity come from if not some heretical cooked up dessert from a sect.

Christ discussed with John why he needed water baptism. It visible for us all to see. But i find it insulting that in order to proof Mary was all pure, you are using an example of Jesus to justify that. Now that is a false idea. A very bad one to start with.

Funny enough, Water Baptism started well with John and not the law. So why are you, in order to justify Mary, still spewing more stuff not backed up by scriptures.

i am still waiting for where Gabriel called her full of grace pls. Provide.
i am done with you,you are being sentimental,one thing i know luke1v28niv gabriel said she is full of grace,the word was made flesh and dwell among us,whose flesh did christ the word took when he was in the womb,do you think it is a dirty unclean flesh,the only woman that is called the mother of the most high under the influence of the holy spirit by elizabeth is a special being,

(1) (Reply)

Is Something Wrong With Me Spiritually Or I Have To Learn To Accept Myself / Will The Merciful GOD Send And Destroy People In Hell Fire? / Pls Clear My Confusion If You Are Sound In Bible Knowledge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.