Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo (4263 Views)

Ilorin And Lokoja Are Yoruba Towns. / Igbo-ona, Ijebu-igbo, Igbomina: Are Yoruba's Historically Tied To Igbo's / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 1:15am On Feb 28, 2019
we commonly see anywhere they write bight of benin or bale of benin in history the Yoruba will claim it was OYo.

so i want to know was it actually Oyo that was in bight of benin or it was benin the Edo itself

please Yoruba and edo people this is for you and history student
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by stevepee42(m): 7:45am On Feb 28, 2019
Nothing concern Oyo for Bight of Benin.....
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Dartilo(m): 10:09am On Feb 28, 2019
Nairaland will not kill somebody with laff
Bight of oyo biggest joke ever
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Jowabayi: 4:21pm On Feb 28, 2019
?? ? ?? ? ?
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 5:38pm On Feb 28, 2019
stevepee42:

so what place was bight of benin is it benin

because history claim that bight of Benin was the south east and west of Nigeria from from 13th century to 18th century
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 5:42pm On Feb 28, 2019
Dartilo:
Nairaland will not kill somebody with laff
Bight of oyo biggest joke ever

there is a record of slave that was teken from bight of biafra bight of benin Ghana. in bight of Benin specifically Yoruba claim it was them that were in bight of benin that the European take Yoruba from bight of benin

so this is the reason am more confused
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2019
stevepee42:

if oyo was not there so was Oyo empire faked?
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Dartilo(m): 10:51pm On Feb 28, 2019
Oyo empire neva exist, it was created by the yorubas to get cheap promotion...
If Oyo was an empire according to proximity it is closer to dahomey and eko than benin,but why is the bight name after benin,why was such an important route controlled by an empire very far away

2 Likes

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 2:37pm On Mar 01, 2019
Benin empire was a large kingdom that spreads far and wide. oyo empire which may or may not have existed was also a large empire. Benin empire had conquered the aworis which gave them direct access to the Atlantic ocean but Oyo empire had no land in Lagos that could have granted them access to the Atlantic ocean. when the Portuguese arrived the first people they traded with were the Benin people whom the Portuguese favoured lead them to name the land bight of Benin since the Portuguese where the first to arrive in this area no other European kingdom will question their decision.

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 01, 2019
goalernestman:

there is a record of slave that was teken from bight of biafra bight of benin Ghana. in bight of Benin specifically Yoruba claim it was them that were in bight of benin that the European take Yoruba from bight of benin

so this is the reason am more confused

Can you provide proof for the bolded?

2 Likes

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 1:34pm On Mar 02, 2019
Dartilo:
If Oyo was an empire according to proximity it is closer to dahomey and eko than benin,but why is the bight name after benin,why was such an important route controlled by an empire very far away

bro this is what i wanted to know
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 1:47pm On Mar 02, 2019
Dartilo:

yes i see the river or ocean was in between Dahomey kingdom and another kingdom so they named it to the second kingdom and i found out this kingdom was benin that is the reason they named it to benin but in some Yoruba site they will say they are the Oyo empire kingdom that bolder Dahomey not benin present day edo or south Nigeria
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 3:59pm On Mar 02, 2019
Whether Oyo empire existed or not may remain a mystery but it is on record that Dahomey empire may have been a tributary to Oyo empire

During the 1724 Agaja had conquered Allada the origin of the royal family according to oral tradition. This increase in size of the kingdom in particularly along the Atlantic coast and increased in power made Dahomey a regional power. The result was near constant warfare with the main regional state Oyo empire from 1728 until 1740. The warfare with Oyo empire resulted in Dahomey assuming tributary status to Oyo empire.

According to one oral tradition as part of the tribute owed by Dahomey to Oyo, Agaja had Oyo to give one of his sons. This story claims that only Hwanjile, of all of Agaja wives was willing to allow her son to go to Oyo. This act of sacrifice according to oral tradition made Tegbesu, favored by Agaja
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 4:36pm On Mar 02, 2019
Weedfree:
Whether Oyo empire existed or not may remain a mystery but it is on record that Dahomey empire may have been a tributary to Oyo empire

During the 1724 Agaja had conquered Allada the origin of the royal family according to oral tradition. This increase in size of the kingdom in particularly along the Atlantic coast and increased in power made Dahomey a regional power. The result was near constant warfare with the main regional state Oyo empire from 1728 until 1740. The warfare with Oyo empire resulted in Dahomey assuming tributary status to Oyo empire.

According to one oral tradition as part of the tribute owed by Dahomey to Oyo, Agaja had Oyo to give one of his sons. This story claims that only Hwanjile, of all of Agaja wives was willing to allow her son to go to Oyo. This act of sacrifice according to oral tradition made Tegbesu, favored by Agaja

What on this picture here is mostly contradicted by Yoruba site or rewrite by them some times this place there is bight of benin or benin is change to Oyo.

And also if possibly the Oyo empire really existed it should start from 1728 and also end as you claim in 1740 and with this short period maybe this was also the reason it was not recognize by the European and also it was not large in this period of short time like benin empire

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Dartilo(m): 5:28pm On Mar 02, 2019
The question should now be if oyo was an empire and was the military based of the yoruba people why then did oyo empire did not retaliate against benin empire when many yoruba town were captured by the benins
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 9:37pm On Mar 02, 2019
goalernestman:

What on this picture here is mostly contradicted by Yoruba site or rewrite by them some times this place there is bight of benin or benin is change to Oyo.

And also if possibly the Oyo empire really existed it should start from 1728 and also end as you claim in 1740 and with this short period maybe this was also the reason it was not recognize by the European and also it was not large in this period of short time like benin empire

Let's go back to the beginning Oyo empire was established during the 15th century, the Oyo empire grow to become one of the largest west Africa States. It was established in 1300 and ended in 1895. During the 17th century, Oyo empire began along stretch growth, becoming a major empire. Oyo empire never encompassed all Yoruba speaking people. Despite a failed attempt to conquer Benin empire sometime between 1578 and 1608, Oyo empire continued to expand. whether this is true or not but it is recorded.
Oyo empire military might is one of disputable claim but Oyo empire may had have calvary due to the fact that they were in close proximity with Nupe, Hausa and Borgu they could have purchased horses from the North.
And at what century was that map made so I will know it is not a counterfeit because I have seen maps dated 1625 period showing Oyo empire.
By the way from what I read Benin empire did not belief in selling slaves which is a reason why the British hated them because if u weren't involved in slave trade could it be that it may have been other tribes selling slaves instead of Benin empire.
U are saying oyo empire is not large when it stretches over long kilometre with a land mass of 150,000 kilometre while ur Benin empire only covers 90,000 kilometre which is not accurate because oyo empire is said to cover over Benin, ghana and Togo while Benin empire didn't even cover all of southern Nigeria and u don't call that fake it was most likely made by Benin fanboys.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Dartilo(m): 8:59am On Mar 03, 2019
Pls tell us the vassal state that was under oyo empire,d tin people u will mention r d Dahomey people,
Oyo town attempted to conquer benin nobody will believe this lie...An empire is suppose to have a vessel state like Ado ekiti,ondo,Agbor,onitsha idu,lagos,Akure,ikwere,Asaba,issele ukwu,Akoko,etc were vassal state under benin empire
Weedfree:

Let's go back to the beginning Oyo empire was established during the 15th century, the Oyo empire grow to become one of the largest west Africa States. It was established in 1300 and ended in 1895. During the 17th century, Oyo empire began along stretch growth, becoming a major empire. Oyo empire never encompassed all Yoruba speaking people. Despite a failed attempt to conquer Benin empire sometime between 1578 and 1608, Oyo empire continued to expand. whether this is true or not but it is recorded.
Oyo empire military might is one of disputable claim but Oyo empire may had have calvary due to the fact that they were in close proximity with Nupe, Hausa and Borgu they could have purchased horses from the North.
And at what century was that map made so I will know it is not a counterfeit because I have seen maps dated 1625 period showing Oyo empire.
By the way from what I read Benin empire did not belief in selling slaves which is a reason why the British hated them because if u weren't involved in slave trade could it be that it may have been other tribes selling slaves instead of Benin empire.
U are saying oyo empire is not large when it stretches over long kilometre with a land mass of 150,000 kilometre while ur Benin empire only covers 90,000 kilometre which is not accurate because oyo empire is said to cover over Benin, ghana and Togo while Benin empire didn't even cover all of southern Nigeria and u don't call that fake it was most likely made by Benin fanboys.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Dartilo(m): 9:04am On Mar 03, 2019
The European never gave a concrete account about oyo the only account we now have are written by indigenous people of oyo and they're all bias...
Is there any that oyo people were against the colonial master, the simple truth is that there were not seen as a major threat.

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 11:21am On Mar 03, 2019
Dartilo:
Pls tell us the vassal state that was under oyo empire,d tin people u will mention r d Dahomey people,
Oyo town attempted to conquer benin nobody will believe this lie...An empire is suppose to have a vessel state like Ado ekiti,ondo,Agbor,onitsha idu,lagos,Akure,ikwere,Asaba,issele ukwu,Akoko,etc were vassal state under benin empire

And who is to say it didn't have vessel States under it if perhaps it existed.
it is on record that when Portuguese first visited Benin in 1485 they inquired whether a powerful king of the interior they had heard of was the much sought after prester John. The oba of Benin told them of a powerful monarch in the hinterland whose face was never seen by is subjects. This reference was made to the Alafin of Oyo.
U do know that the ikwerre may be Igbo. The ikwerre are said to be related or share common ancestry with the ogba and Ekpeye people and I don't think Benin empire stretches that far. It may have been mentioned that Benin empire conquered this areas but do any of this States histories belonging to the Igbo make mention to Benin empire conquering them.
U do realize that a lot of this places u mentioned don't even speak Benin dialect and the one's that do have more Yoruba language than Benin dialect.
From my earlier post u would know that I said Benin empire was a large kingdom and yes u got some land's in the areas u mentioned but they are not large enough to compare to all of Yoruba land.
Oyo empire also had vessel States in some of the places u mentioned for example Oyo empire conquered EGBA, OWU, EWE and Dahomey that is if it existed.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 11:35am On Mar 03, 2019
Weedfree:

it is on record that when Portuguese first visited Benin in 1485 they inquired whether a powerful king of the interior they had heard of was the much sought after prester John. The oba of Benin told them of a powerful monarch in the hinterland whose face was never seen by is subjects. This reference was made to the Alafin of Oyo.
U do know that the ikwerre may be Igbo. The ikwerre are said to be related or share common ancestry with the ogba and Ekpeye people and I don't think Benin empire stretches that far. It may have been mentioned that Benin empire conquered this areas but do any of this States histories belonging to the Igbo make mention to Benin empire conquering them.
U do realize that a lot of this places u mentioned don't even speak Benin dialect and the one's that do have more Yoruba language than Benin dialect.
From my earlier post u would know that I said Benin empire was a large kingdom and yes u got some land's in the areas u mentioned but they are not large enough to compare to all of Yoruba land.
Oyo empire also had vessel States in some of the places u mentioned for example Oyo empire conquered EGBA, OWU, EWE and Dahomey that is if it existed.

bro you said Oyo fight benin in some times in benin history they never record that
and also in that map the one that said benin when i go check the reference of the map i will see a europen name who died centuryes ago of theire account of the places they saw in Africa

but when i see the picture change or when i see Oyo in there map the reference always happen to be a Yoruba name
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 11:42am On Mar 03, 2019
Dartilo:

even as that if Oyo was truly there the under of the place should have be called bale of Oyo and not of Benin, dont be bias you should know this

bight of benin or bale of benin or under benin contradict the claim of Oyo bordering Dahomey at any time

because the bight was in the bolder
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 12:20pm On Mar 03, 2019
goalernestman:

bro you said Oyo fight benin in some times in benin history they never record that
and also in that map the one that said benin when i go check the reference of the map i will see a europen name who died centuryes ago of theire account of the places they saw in Africa

but when i see the picture change or when i see Oyo in there map the reference always happen to be a Yoruba name

first of all the map am talking is dated 17th century and am pretty sure it wasn't made by a Yoruba guy.
And as for the fight between Oyo empire and Benin empire it may not have happened or it may have the point of what I want to explain by putting that there is to tell u that not everything online is accurate some are made by fanboys.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 12:36pm On Mar 03, 2019
goalernestman:

even as that if Oyo was truly there the under of the place should have be called bale of Oyo and not of Benin, dont be bias you should know this

bight of benin or bale of benin or under benin contradict the claim of Oyo bordering Dahomey at any time

because the bight was in the bolder

Dude I hope u know Oyo empire wasn't concern with European trade. Oyo empire was still looking northwards to the sudan from where it imported salt and horses, and not south towards the sea.
Furthermore, the wars of expansion of the 16th and 17th centuries were not fought to procure slaves for export to the coast but for local service in Yoruba farms. it was not until the 18th century that wars to provide slaves for sale to the Europeans became important that is if it existed.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Dartilo(m): 3:41pm On Mar 03, 2019
Yes the Oba told the Portuguese that there is a lord at the interior at the east of benin known as oghene he was the Chief priest at Use a town in benin empire,Use is a place every Oba must go to choose a new name before becoming Oba and pls don't change the story to praise Oyo pls...
Google the origin of ikwere,degema and ekpeye people and see their origin.if you still argue then you guys wil tel us y an ijebu man and ekiti man are stil regarded as yoruba

Weedfree:

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 6:37pm On Mar 03, 2019
cool
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 6:46pm On Mar 03, 2019
To make things clear I don't consider ijebus Yoruba for alot of reason that does not relate to the topic at hand.
Ikwerre are supposedly classified as a subgroup of igbo people although a small minority for political expediency now dispute this account. They trace their origins to owerri, ohaji, Etche and Ngwa areas of igboland. Ikwerre speak the ikwerre dialect, a dialect part of the many diverse igbo dialects, and are predominantly settled in the ikwerre, obio-Akpor, poet Harcourt and Emohua local government areas. If u check language spoken in ikwerre u would see ikwerre and igbo dialect. It is classified under igbo dialect.
As for Degema it is classified under Edoid language. Oral history asserts that the Degema people (originally part of the Engenni people) migrated from Benin (in what is now the Edo state of Nigeria) to Ewu in present day Engenni in the Ahoada local government area of Rivers state. But the Engenni people are considered by themselves and some to be an ijaw clan by others (mainly academics ) to be a branch of Edo (Bini) ethnic group. Historically, it is claimed that Engenni migrated from the old Benin empire about 1000 years ago. The Engenni kingdom is grouped among the Niger-Congo, Edoid people of Nigeria, belonging to the kwa group of Delta sub-Saharan Africa.
You mentioned Ekpeye people in southeastern Nigeria. So u know the Ekpeye are usually included as a subgroup of the igbo people on linguistic and cultural grounds. They speak an igboid language. The Ekpeye sides with the igbo during the Biafra secession, and felt the subsequent repression of the predominant non-Igbo government afterwards. So if they sided with Biafra then I don't see what makes them Benin.
They said a powerful king in the hinterland not a chief priest if u paid attention the Alafin of oyo doesn't show is face to his subject and I said another powerful king u do know what a king his right a king needs a kingdom to be considered a king not a town.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by DonCandido(f): 7:11pm On Mar 03, 2019
This was no doubt written on the wings of Oshogbo weed and inspired by tribalism.

Stop spamming the Internet with DUBIOUS questions and FAKE MAPS.

No one cares about your INSECURITY and lack of SELF CONFIDENCE masqueraded and promoted through virulent quest for QUESTIONABLE tribal HEGEMONY.

STICK WITH YOUR FOOTBALL REPORTS.

You don't understand the subject of your discourse at ALL.

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Opiletool(m): 9:36am On Mar 04, 2019
Lol.

That schlep said Ado and Ikere Ekiti were under bini. Jokers everywhere. Weedfree stop wasting your time with these dumb lots.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 1:07pm On Mar 04, 2019
Weedfree:

Dude I hope u know Oyo empire wasn't concern with European trade. Oyo empire was still looking northwards to the sudan from where it imported salt and horses, and not south towards the sea.
Furthermore, the wars of expansion of the 16th and 17th centuries were not fought to procure slaves for export to the coast but for local service in Yoruba farms. it was not until the 18th century that wars to provide slaves for sale to the Europeans became important that is if it existed.

this is not about European trad map it the map they saw in africa then even zamfara was recognized by them and Oyo that they took slaves from was not recognized

because according to Yoruba they took slaves from Oyo and not benin but if you research well you will see this slaves were taken from benin or bight of benin and not Oyo.

you said they never traded with Oyo but you claim they took slave from them and also why cant them recognized the place they took slave from ?

3 Likes

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 1:10pm On Mar 04, 2019
[quote author=Opiletool post=76333746]Lol.

That schlep said Ado and Ikere Ekiti were under bini. Jokers everywhere. Weedfree stop wasting your time with these dumb lots. [/quote

the reason i am talking to Weedfree is because he actually knows something more than you and dont believe everything Yoruba tell him even the way he talks show that but he just seems to be bias

but i cant waist my time talking to you because i see there is noting you know

2 Likes

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Opiletool(m): 4:44pm On Mar 04, 2019
[quote author=goalernestman post=76339975][/quote]

Yes please, don't 'waist' your time, 'hip' it. grin
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Dartilo(m): 8:34pm On Mar 04, 2019
Opiletool:
Lol.

That schlep said Ado and Ikere Ekiti were under bini. Jokers everywhere. Weedfree stop wasting your time with these dumb lots.

Incase you don't know the yorubas refers yo the Benin's as Ado and the Igbo's as IDU,that's is why the place occupied by the Benin's is called Ado ekiti in ekiti why in the east it is called onitsha idu,take your time to google anywhere you see the sign of the two sword of authority of ancient benin kingdom known as Ada and Eben those kingdom were part of the empire such as the deji of Akure,ekitis,all of Delta state and Onitsha

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Satanic Cult That Rules The World / Rites Of Passage - What's Your Most Favoured ? / The Greeks And The Romans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.