Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg (1525 Views)

Heavy Rainfall, Flooding, Malaria, Cholera Expected In Nigeria / Expect More Ebola Virus Cases In Nigeria – FG / Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by supereagle(m): 6:16am On Aug 30, 2010
The Federal Government has warned that the cholera epidemic ravaging some states in the North may spread to other parts of the country.

The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, who raised the fresh alarm on Friday in Abuja, warned that the entire country was at great risk. Chukwu spoke in his office while receiving infusion products donated by Juhel Nigeria Limited, an indigenous pharmaceuticals manufacturing company, to states affected by the disease.

The minister’s alarm followed reports that the epidemic had claimed 571 lives in seven states as at Thursday, up from 325 earlier reported. So far, at least 10,134 people are said to have been infected, out which Borno and Bauchi states recorded 2,617 and 2,417 cases respectively.

In Borno, 162 lives were lost in 18 local government areas while 81 persons died in seven council areas of Bauchi State.

The Director of Public Health in the ministry, Dr. Mike Anibueze, who gave the latest figures at the briefing, however, contradicted the minister’s stance by saying the epidemic was showing a downward trend.

The chairman of Juhel, Dr. Ifeanyi Okoye, said the donation was part of the firm’s corporate social responsibility, aimed at assisting victims of the disease.

Among the drugs donated were dextrose saline, dextrose in water (five per cent), normal saline, darrows solution and water for injection.

Thanking the company for the gesture, the minister noted that the cases recorded in some of the states, especially Bauchi, were as a result of person-person transmission.

“The North-East is the worst hit zone, for now. Out of the seven states, Bauchi and Borno are most affected and more people are dying; but we are getting things under control.

“I must warn that every state in Nigeria stands the risk of having cholera and that is why other states must be on their guard and take pre-emptive action,” he said.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100830474873
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by supereagle(m): 6:19am On Aug 30, 2010
“I must warn that every state in Nigeria stands the risk of having cholera and that is why other states must be on their guard and take pre-emptive action,” he said.

What pre-emptive action does he want us take?
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by Iranoladun(f): 12:08pm On Aug 30, 2010
good sanitary precautions;

Wash your hand before eating with soap and clean water

Drink purified or previously boiled water

Avoid getting cooked and uncooked food contaminated

if you have any of the Cholera symptoms take ORT (Oral re-hydration Therapy) and report to an hospital immediately as self-treatment may be dangerous lots of people died as a result of severe loss of fluid (electrolyte) within few hours of a cholera attack!
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by villous(m): 12:17pm On Aug 30, 2010
Lagos state needs emergency bother clinic that will be screening all dis mallo b4 entry they w b rushing to lagos to get treatment because there leader have fail them and they are still coming back to rule them deceiving them with the name of Allah.May Allah judge you in a great way with the blood of those that have died for failing to provide good water and enabling environment for your people.
After dis they spend there state money on rally and buying of big jeep.building serious heavy mansion. Allah will punish you
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by acextreme: 5:10pm On Aug 30, 2010
Cholera is a severe form of diarrhea caused by a bacteria in water. Cholera spreads very quickly in emergency condition and can lead to many deaths. The symptoms of cholera are:

Diarrhea

Vomiting

Leg cramps

Weakness

Diarrhea and vomiting can lead very quickly to severe dehydration and shock. Without treatment, death can occur within hours.
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by usbcable(m): 8:00pm On Aug 30, 2010
While watching the minister for health speak on t.v., that they had warned these states in question. I waited with earnestly to hear him mention modalities his ministry had put in place as both preventive and reactive measures. All he mentioned was something about building dams or something which dint really make meaning to me.
all these states are not acting proactively now, it is after one recorded case the now turn into commandoes in action. What a pity.
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by Nobody: 9:00pm On Aug 30, 2010
villous:

Lagos state needs emergency bother clinic that will be screening all dis mallo b4 entry they w b rushing to lagos to get treatment because there leader have fail them and they are still coming back to rule them deceiving them with the name of Allah.May Allah judge you in a great way with the blood of those that have died for failing to provide good water and enabling environment for your people.
After dis they spend there state money on rally and buying of big jeep.building serious heavy mansion. Allah will punish you

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! cool
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by mamagee3(f): 11:50pm On Aug 30, 2010
I just learnt more than 50 people have died recently from cholera. . .

What kind of sickness won't people have in that sickness-ridden country?
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by Danielqwer: 9:56am On Aug 31, 2010
www.nwsnigeria.com, Nordic water has a water purification system developed to produce drinking water from water sources with poor quality.

The purifications system removes:

1. bad smell

2. bad taste

3. bothersome colour

4. dangerous chemicals

5. some heavy metals like lead & iron

6. 99.99% of pathogenic bateria (E.coli, salmonella, legionella, cholera, shigella, typhoid)

7. 99.99% of parasites (cryptosporidium, giardia)

8. 97% chlorine

9. 99.7% turbidity

10. particles

11. humus.

For a demo contact 08023305728 / 07090039966 (Lagos), 08071752560 (Rivers)
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by mrsebe: 5:28am On Sep 01, 2010

I LUV THIS WORDS I SUPPORT U MY GUY. grin wink
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by chelseabmw(m): 1:39pm On Sep 01, 2010
Cholera will never come to south south
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by tunde121oke: 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2010
FG ISSUES n200 BILLION TO WIPE AWAY CHOLERA FROM africa grin
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by tpiah: 4:14am On Sep 03, 2010
that's sad.

back in the day they used to distribute sugar salt solution but i dont know about now.
Re: Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg by tpiah: 4:15am On Sep 03, 2010
Iranoladun:

good sanitary precautions;

Wash your hand before eating with soap and clean water

Drink purified or previously boiled water

Avoid getting cooked and uncooked food contaminated

if you have any of the Cholera symptoms take ORT (Oral re-hydration Therapy) and report to an hospital immediately as self-treatment may be dangerous lots of people died as a result of severe loss of fluid (electrolyte) within few hours of a cholera attack!

true.

lord have mercy.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Always Tired And Stressed Out? / Who Knows About 'hipup CREAM'?? / Pls Help! My Body Temperature Rises Abnormally When I Smoke Weed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.