Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,538 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG (16932 Views)

Expect More Ebola Virus Cases In Nigeria – FG / Nigeria: FG Plans Stiffer Sanctions For Unlicensed Patent Medicine Vendors / Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by malele(m): 6:14am On Jun 14, 2013
The Federal Government, on Thursday, said smoking would soon be banned in the country as soon as the Anti-Tobacco Bill before the National Assembly was passed into law.
It also disclosed its readiness to convene a Universal Health Coverage to help boost strategies towards improving healthcare delivery.
Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, who spoke in Abuja, at a ministerial platform, insisted that the Federal Government could no longer condone smoking.
He asked rhetorically: “Why are you smoking? Why are you taking what will kill you? What benefit do you derive from smoking?”
Professor Chukwu listed his achievements in office in the last two years to include establishment of National Trauma Centres in the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital and the National Hospital, Abuja; completion of Federal Staff Hospital, Jabi, Abuja; completion of Laboratory and Administrative building of the Nigerian Institute of Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD), Abuja, and rehabilitation and equipping of several teaching hospitals in the country.
The minster disclosed that President Goodluck Jonathan increased funding for polio eradication to N4.7billion and made further commitment of N2.5billion this year with a Presidential Task Force on Polio Eradication constituted to help in the fight against the disease.
He said, “today in Nigeria, seven of our teaching hospitals can do kidney transplant. This month, we are expecting International Certification Team on the Elimination of Guinea Worm in Nigeria.”

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/news/item/14317-smoking%E2%80%99ll-be-banned-soon-in-nigeria-fg.html

3 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by malele(m): 6:15am On Jun 14, 2013
Nawah for FG
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by DominicJames(m): 6:29am On Jun 14, 2013
A step well taken. the minister should not just make this pronouncement but should follow up on the bill and see to it that it is passed in the national assembly. Smoking is death! why take in what will drastically reduce ur life span to the bearest minimum? God Bless Nigeria!

10 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Nobody: 6:33am On Jun 14, 2013
These guys must be mad...
I can understand if they want to ban indoor smoking, but smoking all together?

They must be mad

*aboki abeg gimme one White London there jare*

33 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by takedat(m): 6:37am On Jun 14, 2013
Talk is cheap! Government cannot ban smoking but can only control it! The minister should tell Nigerians why the president refused to assent to the national tobacco control bill passed in the twilight of the 6th assembly? I only hope the tobacco lobbyists won't weaken government's resolve this time around!

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by donMecuzy: 6:46am On Jun 14, 2013
Stop Smoking? Pls oh Cigar de Console my jobless situation

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Enegod(m): 6:47am On Jun 14, 2013
ban smoking weed?!
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by effisyman: 6:49am On Jun 14, 2013
Ban outdoor smoking, whoever wish to smoke may do so in his/her privacy.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Maxymilliano(m): 6:51am On Jun 14, 2013
jackbauersballs: These guys must be mad...

They must be mad

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 14, 2013
hahahahaha!! joke of the century. cool cool

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by pistol: 7:26am On Jun 14, 2013
This is nonsense.
Ban what?
What happens to thousands of workers in the tobacco industry eh?
Cigarette is not that harmful, it is a thing of the mind.
If you want cigarette to kill you,it will kill you.it is all about mindset.
My uncle that started when he was a teenager is still hale, hearty and kicking and in his early nineties while his mates who are non smokers are all gone.

2 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by chymystique(f): 7:28am On Jun 14, 2013
Soon dey will wanna ban Alcohol... undecided Dnt fink dis would b approved cos most of d lawmakers I guess Smoke... Health Minister should park one side jor!
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Afrocatalyst: 7:29am On Jun 14, 2013
Smoking is a choice made by smokers. I dnt tink FG wil ever ban it. They can only campaign against it. It's nt as if the thing is forced down anybody's throat. Actually it serves as part of food to some pple just like coke (soft drink), energy drink and prolly coffee. If they intend to ban it then they should ban d others too. I dnt tink democracy gives leaders the power to decide how pple live their lives bt I knw it gives pple choices and everyone makes their choices knwing the consequences. So if I go to aboki and buy my benson and on the pack it is written SMOKERS ARE LIABLE TO DIE YOUNG, and I stil go ahead and smoke it,it means that I've chosen to die young. Afterall we must nt all die at a ripe old age,smetin must kill smeone.
That does nt mean am in support of it even tho I smoke too. I even smoke weed too. Bt I want a way out. So FG should take note pls.

15 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 14, 2013
If this happens - then I definitely need to cancel Nigeria out of my list. Can't see myself going to a place where I can't puff my cancer sticks. That's what gives some of us sanity in this crazy world. While most people are dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts - some of us just block everything life throws at us by puffing a few cancer sticks and everything will be back to normal.

I absolutely love smoking - can't stop, won't stop. And if I die, so be it - nothing lasts forever, yo. grin

I'mma drop a freestyle to show my love for smoking. wink

4 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 14, 2013
This must be a form of attack on the person of Gen Buhari who is a well known smoker.

2 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by adepojuis: 7:36am On Jun 14, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by wakaman: 7:49am On Jun 14, 2013
Some smoker should tell this minister to stop behaving like an attention seeking prefect like from secondary school!

Rothmans please...

2 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by dridowu: 7:57am On Jun 14, 2013
Federal Ministry of Health warns that tobacco smoking is dangerous to your health.
Federal Ministry of Health warns that tobacco smokers are liable to die young.

3 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 14, 2013
My little off-the-dome freestyle expressing my love for smoking!!!! grin grin grin grin Stop Nigeria from banning smoking!!!! That's my most loyal girlfriend, yo!!!

Me and My Girlfriend(smoking)
Lost in the whirlwind, 2013, bonnie and clyde
Me and my gf making love, humping with the tide
Inhaling and exhaling with a glide
Journey to ionosphere with no ride
Feeling uplifted and not worried about this wicked world
She's my first love, the one I chirpsed without saying a word
Love at first sight, call it true connection
No pain, no gain but love with affection
When we made love the first time, you left me dazzled
I was 16, fresh faced, innocent looks and body chiseled
Almost a decade together, and I still love you with everything
'Cos you're loyal and have never left me wanting
So it's death before dishonour and loyalty above everything
And if I die tonight, just remember that you're my everything.
I love you, cancer sticks.

3 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by kunlekunle: 8:08am On Jun 14, 2013
chymystique: Soon dey will wanna ban Alcohol... undecided Dnt fink dis would b approved cos most of d lawmakers I guess Smoke... Health Minister should park one side jor!

ban ogogoro, never.
ijaw man go commit suicide.

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Super1759: 8:23am On Jun 14, 2013
Please let them do, the madness in this nation is getting out of hand.
Let's take control measure, even here in NL, madness is much

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by OuchDaddy(m): 8:26am On Jun 14, 2013
ShyM-X:
My little off-the-dome freestyle expressing my love for smoking!!!! grin grin grin grin Stop Nigeria from banning smoking!!!! That's my most loyal girlfriend, yo!!!

Me and My Girlfriend(smoking)
Lost in the whirlwind, 2013, bonnie and clyde
Me and my gf making love, humping with the tide
Inhaling and exhaling with a glide
Journey to ionosphere with no ride
Feeling uplifted and not worried about this wicked world
She's my first love, the one I chirpsed without saying a word
Love at first sight, call it true connection
No pain, no gain but love with affection
When we made love the first time, you left me dazzled
I was 16, fresh faced, innocent looks and body chiseled
Almost a decade together, and I still love you with everything
'Cos you're loyal and have never left me wanting
So it's death before dishonour and loyalty above everything
And if I die tonight, just remember that you're my everything.
I love you, cancer sticks.

Nna, ur own case is critical!! You don lanko o..!! Lmao!! Reason's why d smoking should actually be banned, so u be revived to Sanity!

4 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by akpomeme(m): 8:34am On Jun 14, 2013
jackbauersballs: These guys must be mad...

They must be mad

My brother abeg join one benson for that order. This food pepper well well.

4 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by UnimkeAk(m): 8:56am On Jun 14, 2013
Atleast Oris no be ciggareths na menthol
"Oris Menthol"
IF Senior Prefect Onyebuchi ban my Oris mk dem follow ban Robb oh.
I no go gree

2 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by 3ace(m): 9:14am On Jun 14, 2013
pistol: This is nonsense.
Ban what?
What happens to thousands of workers in the tobacco industry eh?
Cigarette is not that harmful, it is a thing of the mind.
If you want cigarette to kill you,it will kill you.it is all about mindset.
My uncle that started when he was a teenager is still hale, hearty and kicking and in his early nineties while his mates who are non smokers are all gone.
Lame argument. Where's the dislike button?

2 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by pekelepekele(m): 9:16am On Jun 14, 2013
I was once a heavy smoker and i know how those that are still smoking feels after reading this. That's some bs FG! . You care about people's health but their are no good health facilities grin . Kai these people .

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Pedagogue: 9:16am On Jun 14, 2013
We've heard!!!

But Mr. Minister, when will corruption and bad governance be BANNED? Bad governance accounts for the highest number of Deaths in Nigeria - or can the Hon. Minister tell us tobacco kills more people than our bad roads, unequipped hospitals,insecurity,poverty,poor living conditions,ridiculous government policies and lack of basic amenities!!!

I do not smoke...nevertheless, smoking is like prostitution, it can never be banned!!! Despite the fact that smoking marijuana is illegal, people still smoke weed everyday!!! Well, I'm even sure 60 per cent of our law makers in the National Assembly who are supposed to mak this law, smoke!!!! So, d minister is definitely on his own!!! All what the national assembly needs to do is to ban smoking in public places! That will suffice!

It's either the Minister was drunk when he said that OR was quoted out of context

4 Likes

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by 3ace(m): 9:17am On Jun 14, 2013
I support the move though it might not sail through.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Six Ways To Use Aloe Vera As A Beauty Product / COVID-19 Update For December 30 2020 In Nigeria / Foreign Hospitals Stealing Kidneys, FG Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.