Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

My Agenda For Nigerian Football – Maigari - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Agenda For Nigerian Football – Maigari (654 Views)

5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say / Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! / Globacom Premier League: The Nigerian Football League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Agenda For Nigerian Football – Maigari by oladayo042: 7:43am On Aug 30, 2010
The new President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Aminu Maigari, has revealed his plan for Nigerian football, saying the new board will emphasise on developing the sport from the grassroots.

Maigari was elected as the NFF President on Thursday amidst controversies on the legality of the exercise, winning the presidential poll with 31 votes ahead of Oyuki Obaseki, Sani Toro, Shehu Dikko and Lumumba Adeh.

He told our correspondent on the telephone on Sunday that he was ready to work with anyone interested in improving the standard of football in the country.

”I believe we have time and resources to improve our football before any major competition,” Maigari said.

”My basic plan for the sport is to emphasise on developmental programmes. I believe we have talents in all parts of the country and these people should be given opportunity to reach their potential.

”If we start a purposeful programme this year, I‘m confident we will be getting the best out of our football before the next World Cup in 2014.

”Emphasis will also be on the domestic leagues. Both the Premier League and the National Professional League will get more attention because we cannot deny the fact that our players come through these competitions before going on the world stage.

”The NFF is also aware that women football has not got it fair share recently. This will change in the new programme we have outlined. We will initiate a package that will put the women‘s league in the eye of the world. The Falconets did well in Germany by coming second at the World Cup; we want to build on their success and improve the game in Nigeria.”

Maigari said he would appreciate suggestions from Nigerians on how best to improve football in the country.

”I have an open-door policy. We all cannot be members of the NFF board at the same time but that does not mean the board will not welcome any good idea from well-meaning Nigerians. You don‘t have to be on the board to contribute to the game. Developing Nigerian football should be seen as a collective action,” he added.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201008301573631

(1) (Reply)

Video: Top 10 Worst Fouls In Football / Football Pitch Is My Church, Says Obuh (interesting Pic) / Nigeria Players Dominate Afcon Awards!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.