Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,299 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? (825 Views)

Do You Believe In Life After Death? / 6 Things That Choke/kill Ones Spiritual Life / Who Is Your Spiritual Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by VPersie: 4:44am On Sep 01, 2010
Mine went way down. I really do not know why. A few days after I arrived I was already smooching. The made me feel like I had really disappointed God, so I refused to ask for forgiveness. I felt like God had refused to help me to overcome sin. I kept going to church and kept praying but I was without the spirit. After some time I stopped being motivated to read my bible or pray or go to church, so I stopped altogether. All attempts at spiritual revival have been unproductive. Sometimes when I think the tide is about to turn for spiritual revival, I am overcome with emotion and I cry but the revival either does not come or does not last. I have now almost lost all hope of finding my way back to the God I used to know. I am beginning to doubt that I knew the real God and starting to convince myself that I have to rediscover a new God who is mush easier to worship/serve. Unfortunately, I now feel like there has to be a major catastrophe in my life for there to be any chance for me retrace my steps for my state of spiritual atrophy. One testimony I have been able to hold on to though is that of baptism in the holy spirit: there is no science that can explain speaking in tongues.

Does any one have similar experiences?

What happened to you after you left home?

How did you overcome or not overcome it?

What does the future look like?

Do you also think you have to rediscover God after getting to Oyinbo land?
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:38am On Sep 01, 2010
After i left home, i finally quit being religious and started being more spiritual. That means i removed the greedy and tricky middleman called religion and i started seeking a direct relationship with the source. Never made a better choice in my life.
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 01, 2010
^^who&wheres the source?
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 01, 2010
^^who&wheres the source?
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by seyibrown(f): 1:17pm On Sep 01, 2010
[b]I relegated God to the background during my first few years (sort of a spill over from before leaving home anyway). I still had many of my Christian principles but the 'relationship' with God was lacking.  I read my Bible less and never went to Church. The Joy and Peace that comes with maintaining that relationship was absent. The temporary joy available in the world was there but you know it doesn't last. Sin crept in little by little and was gradually taking over my life. I too found myself committing sin and not asking forgiveness.

However, there was still a longing within me for that fullness, joy, peace and strength that I had when I was very close to God. It was a love relationship that I missed so much. I had been brought up and taught to do right and I just longed to do right and be right with God.

The first thing I did was I started to feed myself with the word of God; reading my bible, watching Christian programmes on  TV and  reconnecting with Christian friends who encouraged me in the word of God. A lot of pollution is fed to us all the time and we need to replace it with the word of God. The word of God renews and transforms us when we meditate on it day and night.

Secondly, I decide to stop doing anything that I clearly knew was sin and was holding me captive. [/b]

Hebrews 12 vs 1: Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

[b]It is important to let go of anything that is keeping you from him. Break unholy relationships. Make your stand for righteousness clear, and practice what you now preach.

I also decided to start going to Church. What kept me from going to church was my sinning. Fellowshipping with the brethren in the presence of God helped in reviving the nature of Christ that was dying.
I was also praying, while doing those three things above, asking God to help me. I said I wanted to live the rest of my life for him (Re-dedication). I wanted to have that relationship I once had with him. I had tasted him, knew he was good and just wanted him back in my life. I asked him to fan this fire of longing for him aflame. He did.

I am back with him, loving him, and still longing for more. I am still asking him to sanctify me and take away anything that he does not want in my life. He has been bringing things he wants rid of to my attention and I am getting rid of them with his help. I promised to give up anything he does not want.

My future is bright, beautiful and secure because he is in my life. I know can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. His plans for me are good. His grace is sufficient for me. If I lose all that I have in the world tomorrow, he is still with me because he is the core of my life; he is all that matters; He has promised he will never leave me nor forsake me. His power and love is evident in my life.

Meditate on Ephesians 6 : 10-18[/b]
10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Repent, re-dedicate your life, feed yourself with the Word of God, fellowship with other Christians, continually renew your mind, guarding it from pollution and keeping it in a godly condition, ask God for help where you are struggling.

When you are back with God, keep on keeping the faith.
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by Jenwitemi(m): 1:47pm On Sep 01, 2010
By the "source", i meant the creator of all things. I hate using that heavily bastardized G word. I always try my possible best to avoid mouthing it. I hope i was clearer this time.
Jenwitemi:

After i left home, i finally quit being religious and started being more spiritual. That means i removed the greedy and tricky middleman called religion and i started seeking a direct relationship with the source. Never made a better choice in my life.
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 01, 2010
^^is ur source other than God?
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by Rhino3dm: 2:13pm On Sep 01, 2010
My eyes opeeeneeed veeerrrrrrry wide to see the fraud in majority of religion been practise.
All the mind control and manipulation ended instantly. He he he he he he he he he ho!
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by VPersie: 1:12am On Sep 02, 2010
Hey MOds, please consider putting this on the homepage so that people that are abroad but do not regularly visit the religion section can contribute.
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:56am On Sep 02, 2010
It depends on what you take as that G term. Each person has his/her own version of what or who that term represents. I am guessing mine does not rhyme with yours. But that is okay, we won't have a great debate about that. I will only tell you that my creator is my source, as well as the source of all that is. You are free to give it whatever term or label of your choosing. I don't play around with terms or names or labels when it comes to the creator, because it is totally banal, and dare i say, carnal. The labels/terms/names, in themselves,  really do not matter in the least.
toba:

^^is your source other than God?
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by Tudor6(f): 11:30am On Sep 02, 2010
I havnt had any spiritual life, dont have one now and will never have one till i die any God that isn't happy with that can go fuucck itself.
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by eayvone: 1:10pm On Sep 02, 2010
There is ONE from which everything in creation radiated from. For one to really understand that ONE, he needs first to understand and obey the Laws governing creation. For those who earnestly seek That ONE shall find HIM.

I used the word "earnest" to mean "strive". Work out your Salvation and you will find out that over time those things you used to do you do them no more. It is not automatic that you pray for forgiveness and you start leaving "righteously". You need to work out your salvation then according to the Bible " Watch and Pray" i.e make every prayer a watch.

I wish you strength.
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by VPersie: 10:32pm On Sep 03, 2010
Re: What Happened To Your Spiritual Life After You Left Home? by aletheia(m): 10:57pm On Sep 03, 2010
@VPersie:
Don't be discouraged, don't give up. Most true believers do struggle with sin at particular periods of their lives. Mine was when I went for service. Leaving home, left you vulnerable and open to the Enemy's attack. You received some really good counsel from seyibrown.
And remember these words as well:

[b]1 Corinthians Chapter 10: 13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Hebrews Chapter 12: 2-13. Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
[/b]

May the Lord grant you peace.

(1) (Reply)

Christian Musician/evangelist (late) Keith Green On Roman Catholicism / Modern Day Apostles / I Need An Assistance To Attend The Forthcoming Christembassy Healing School-15th July Batch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.