Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,057 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? (9664 Views)

What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? / Atheistic Nuisance, Barcelona And Chelsea / Atheistic Reply To Emusmithy Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by budaatum: 7:34pm On Mar 08, 2019
Neither had I until this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMjLKNf4ic

What you make of the concept of "absolute truth"?

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2019
I don't like the concept. I can't argue against it cuz it just seems like a trap and im not going to attempt to. However I feel its way too rigid, once one regards a concept to be an absolute truth theres no room for flexibility. If there is one thing history has taught us it is that we usually don't know absolutely what is true and what is absolutely moral. Not too long ago people were sure the earth was flat and nothing was morally wrong with owning people as slaves, now that's all changed.

I'm more orientated towards relativism but not to the extent that absolutely everything is relative. When it comes to morality for example, homosexuality is a crime here in Nigeria but perfectly fine in some other parts of the world.

Ultimately I'm against rigidity and I feel thats what the concept of absolutes promotes.

On a final note. There is no such thing as athiestic evolution. There is simply evolution. A widely accepted theory which is by far the best explanation we have for life as it exists in all its variety.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:51pm On Mar 08, 2019
Dhumancanvas:
On a final note. There is no such thing as athiestic evolution. There is simply evolution. A widely accepted theory which is by far the best explanation we have for life as it exists in all its variety.

THANK YOU.

4 Likes

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by NNAMDIII(m): 8:53pm On Mar 08, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

THANK YOU.
is there God?
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:58pm On Mar 08, 2019
NNAMDIII:
is there God?

I DO NOT KNOW THIS, AND I DON'T CARE. smiley
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by UyiIredia(m): 9:35pm On Mar 08, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

THANK YOU.

Nna men you just complimented BS.

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by NNAMDIII(m): 9:53pm On Mar 08, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

I DO NOT KNOW THIS, AND I DON'T CARE. smiley
you're an atheist right? I don't know if there's God but i don't want him to exist if truly there's a God

2 Likes

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:57pm On Mar 08, 2019
NNAMDIII:
you're an atheist right? I don't know if there's God but i don't want him to exist if truly there's a God

SOMEONE THAT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF ANY DEITIES IS NOT AN ATHEIST.

BTW CAN YOU SAY WHY YOU DON'T WANT A GOD TO EXIST?
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 10:16pm On Mar 08, 2019
UyiIredia:

Well. Whats your take on it then?
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by TV01(m): 11:04pm On Mar 08, 2019
Dhumancanvas:
However I feel its way too rigid, once one regards a concept to be an absolute truth theres no room for flexibility.
And the demand for, or higher virtue of, "flexibility" over absolutes is?

Dhumancanvas:
I'm more orientated towards relativism but not to the extent that absolutely everything is relative.
In the absence of absolutes, the concept of relativism itself becomes tenuous.

Dhumancanvas:
Agree on "evolution". Especially relative to the bible, as "evolution" in any form is simply counter to the biblical narrative.

"Widely accepted" does not accords to truth in either a relative or absolute sense. And when you describe the absurdity of evolution "as the best explanation", do you mean in an absolute or relative sense grin.

Cheers
TV
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 11:17pm On Mar 08, 2019
TV01:
And the demand for, or higher virtue of, "flexibility" over absolutes is?

In the absence of absolutes, the concept of relativism itself becomes tenuous.

Agree on "evolution". Especially relative to the bible, as "evolution" in any form is simply counter to the biblical narrative.

"Widely accepted" does not accords to truth in either a relative or absolute sense. And when you describe the absurdity of evolution "as the best explanation", do you mean in an absolute or relative sense grin.

Cheers
TV

I'm not gonna argue about absolutism and relativism as its opposite. Thinking in terms of those will only lead to pointless round about arguments.

Do you have a better theory than that proposed by evolution?

The evidence is clear, from DNA and anatomical similarities across different spieces, to fossil records. Even in other fields like psychology, certain behaviours can be adequately explained from an evolutionary stand point. But please if you have a better explanation i would love to hear it or read it as it were.

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by TV01(m): 11:41pm On Mar 08, 2019
Dhumancanvas:
I'm not gonna argue about absolutism and relativism as its opposite. Thinking in terms of those will only lead to pointless round about arguments.
Cool

Dhumancanvas:
Creation

Dhumancanvas:
The evidence is clear, from DNA and anatomical similarities across different spieces, to fossil records. Even in other fields like psychology, certain behaviours can be adequately explained from an evolutionary stand point. But please if you have a better explanation i would love to hear it or read it as it were.
DNA is essentially a templated script, a code. Reproduction is only ever within the limits of that code and, there is no known mechanism for the script to acquire new code. Indeed, inherent within the code is a self-regulating function, designed to ameliorate any errors.

Anatomical similarities are not proof of "evolution". It is more a deduction (in the sense that it is opinion not evidence).

The mechanisms and dynamics ascribed to TOE do not bear real scrutiny. Theories in many fields are forced through the lens of evolution - for a number of reasons. They do not constitute proof, only an attempt to align them with the TOE which is in a sense inviolate, but not true.

Cheers
TV
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 12:13am On Mar 09, 2019
TV01:

Creation

DNA is essentially a templated script, a code. Reproduction is only ever within the limits of that code and, there is no known mechanism for the script to acquire new code. Indeed, inherent within the code is a self-regulating function, designed to ameliorate any errors.

Anatomical similarities are not proof of "evolution". It is more a deduction (in the sense that it is opinion not evidence).

The mechanisms and dynamics ascribed to TOE do not bear real scrutiny. Theories in many fields are forced through the lens of evolution - for a number of reasons. They do not constitute proof, only an attempt to align them with the TOE which is in a sense inviolate, but not true.

Cheers
TV

Creation for which unlike evolution there exists no evidence whatsoever. I think I'll place my bets on the theory that at least has some backing.

Anatomical similarities is proof actually. That fishes and even birds have similar bone structure to mammals and indeed humans points to a common ancestory.

Similarities in DNA does too. I mean its been shown that we even share a small portion of DNA with some plants. To put in another way, you can tell family ties by similarities in DNA -you know, like paternity test-. If all things were created independent from each other there is no reason why pretty much all spieces in some way share DNA. The closer the speices to man e.g. apes the more of our DNA we share. All this supports TOE.

My take is this. Noone really knows whats going on. We all just came and met the world as it is. Even our best minds don't have it all figured out. What we do have are models and thories that attempt to explain life, existence, the universe and all that. Now, as far as that goes, creationism and models proposed by most religions do not provide good explanations as to what's really going on. So far following the scientific method has been shown to offer better models and explanations.
Science is constantly under scrutiny. False or inaccurate models are disproved, abandoned and replaced with better ones which offer more accurate explanations. Mean while christianity for example relys on a book from 2 thousands years ago written by far less knowledgeable people and even considers it a virture that the book is pretty much the same now as it was then.

To bring it back to the whole evolution vs creationism thing. C'mon there is no competition. Evolution is obviously the better explanation. It succeeds in explaining life as it is to a very high degree of accuracy. Creationism explains nothing and relys purely on faith. Even the Pope agrees with evolution and religious scholars. They don't argue agasint it. What they argue is that God had a hand in evolution.

The writing is a little long but i hope you read it entirely and get what im trying to say.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by johnydon22(m): 12:32am On Mar 09, 2019
Dhumancanvas:
I don't like the concept. I can't argue against it cuz it just seems like a trap and im not going to attempt to. However I feel its way too rigid, once one regards a concept to be an absolute truth theres no room for flexibility. If there is one thing history has taught us it is that we usually don't know absolutely what is true and what is absolutely moral. Not too long ago people were sure the earth was flat and nothing was morally wrong with owning people as slaves, now that's all changed.

I'm more orientated towards relativism but not to the extent that absolutely everything is relative. When it comes to morality for example, homosexuality is a crime here in Nigeria but perfectly fine in some other parts of the world.

Ultimately I'm against rigidity and I feel thats what the concept of absolutes promotes.

I think for truth to make sense it has to be absolute.

A non-absolute truth by definition cannot be true.

Some years back most people believed the earth was flat - this doesn't mean it is true that the earth is flat.

I also do not like absolutes but truth as a concept must be absolute or it is not truth.

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 12:34am On Mar 09, 2019
johnydon22:

I think for truth to make sense it has to be absolute.

A non-absolute truth by definition cannot be true.

Some years back most people believed the earth was flat - this doesn't mean it is true that the earth is flat.

I also do not like absolutes but truth as a concept must be absolute or it is not truth.
Can't argue with that really.
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by johnydon22(m): 12:35am On Mar 09, 2019
budaatum:
Neither had I until this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMjLKNf4ic

What you make of the concept of "absolute truth"?

It is surprising that his argument stopped at only chance being nothing due to lack of physical qualities.

Time can also on that note be nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by UyiIredia(m): 1:29am On Mar 09, 2019
Dhumancanvas:

I believe in intelligent design which is different from YEC.

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by OpenYourEyes1: 7:25am On Mar 09, 2019
Dhumancanvas:

What dna evidence, anatomical similarities across species, and fossil records?

"Even in other fields like psychology, certain behaviours can be adequately explained from an evolutionary stand point."
What behavior
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by shadeyinka(m): 7:43am On Mar 09, 2019
Dhumancanvas:

Creation for which unlike evolution there exists no evidence whatsoever. I think I'll place my bets on the theory that at least has some backing.

Anatomical similarities is proof actually. That fishes and even birds have similar bone structure to mammals and indeed humans points to a common ancestory.

Similarities in DNA does too. I mean its been shown that we even share a small portion of DNA with some plants. To put in another way, you can tell family ties by similarities in DNA -you know, like paternity test-. If all things were created independent from each other there is no reason why pretty much all spieces in some way share DNA. The closer the speices to man e.g. apes the more of our DNA we share. All this supports TOE.

My take is this. Noone really knows whats going on. We all just came and met the world as it is. Even our best minds don't have it all figured out. What we do have are models and thories that attempt to explain life, existence, the universe and all that. Now, as far as that goes, creationism and models proposed by most religions do not provide good explanations as to what's really going on. So far following the scientific method has been shown to offer better models and explanations.
Science is constantly under scrutiny. False or inaccurate models are disproved, abandoned and replaced with better ones which offer more accurate explanations. Mean while christianity for example relys on a book from 2 thousands years ago written by far less knowledgeable people and even considers it a virture that the book is pretty much the same now as it was then.

To bring it back to the whole evolution vs creationism thing. C'mon there is no competition. Evolution is obviously the better explanation. It succeeds in explaining life as it is to a very high degree of accuracy. Creationism explains nothing and relys purely on faith. Even the Pope agrees with evolution and religious scholars. They don't argue agasint it. What they argue is that God had a hand in evolution.

The writing is a little long but i hope you read it entirely and get what im trying to say.

Your argument is like saying:
All earth vehicles (from bicycles to trailers and other articulated vehicles) are anatomically similar hence a proof of evolution and not design!

So what is the truth?
How can truth be determined?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by shadeyinka(m): 7:49am On Mar 09, 2019
johnydon22:

It is surprising that his argument stopped at only chance being nothing due to lack of physical qualities.

Time can also on that note be nothing.
But isn't time a description of the interval between two physical events?

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by johnydon22(m): 7:53am On Mar 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

But isn't time a description of the interval between two physical events?
No more physically qualitative than chance.
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by OpenYourEyes1: 7:58am On Mar 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

All earth vehicles (from bicycles to trailers and other articulated vehicles) are anatomically similar hence a proof of evolution and not design!

So what is the truth?

The mindset is sickening.
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by shadeyinka(m): 7:59am On Mar 09, 2019
johnydon22:
No more physically qualitative than chance.
No Sir!
Since we have concepts of short interval/long interval, young/old, then just like mass, time can be described.

Interestingly, we can control how time is applied but can we control chance?

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by shadeyinka(m): 8:00am On Mar 09, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

The mindset is sickening.
Why?
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by OpenYourEyes1: 8:04am On Mar 09, 2019
shadeyinka:
Why?
I mean the mindset of the evolutionists.
You asked a great question bro.
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 8:11am On Mar 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

So what is the truth?
Yea I've heard that argument before and frankly its a poor one. Man made objects as the name suggests are obviously man made, its clear, there is a factory, raw materials are extracted and compiled together according to a plan/design to create them. That has absolutely nothing to do with evolution. C'mon, i don't know you but i would like to believe you're smarter than that.

Evolution attempts to explain the mechanism by which life, from simple beginnings evolved to the many complex forms we see today. If you read the my take paragraph you should have observed that I'm not even trying to make any absolute claims about evolution. What i am saying is as far as best explanations go. It is by far superior to anything else. Definitely more than creationism which really doesn't explain nothing, life is because a God noone can explain created it.

I really find it funny that you would compare life. Which grows-from a single cell(zigote) to a full adult human being/animal or from a small seed to a massive tree- to man made objects which is put together by gathering individual parts to create a complete form.

As for how we know and determine truth? Investigation my dear. We carry out investigations using the scientific method. We test findings to see if they work and if they do we keep them, if they don't we dismiss them and carry out further investigations. That's how we know most of what we know today.

How do you think we determine truth? Faith? Mr preacher man or a book says this is true and so i believe its true, no question.

3 Likes

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by shadeyinka(m): 8:17am On Mar 09, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

I mean the mindset of the evolutionists.

You asked a great question bro.
Thanks sir!

But, the question of the OP has not been attempted by anyone. The answer of Christians would have sounded extremely simplistic and philosophically mundane! God is TRUTH!

Truth must have the character of INVARIANCE irrespective of external factors!

Interestingly, our senses are easily tricked into accepting as truth that which is already affected by external factors. For example, is a RED ball actually RED? If 30 people can see the ball as red, is it really red?

The second issue to look at now is about "Reference Point". Of course on the earth it is easy to all agree that the ball is red, what happens when we take it to another planet where the "red spectrum of light" doesn't exist?

So, like the OP asked, does ABSOLUTE TRUTH exist?

2 Likes

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by shadeyinka(m): 8:40am On Mar 09, 2019
Dhumancanvas:

Yea I've heard that argument before and frankly its a poor one. Man made objects as the name suggests are obviously man made, its clear, there is a factory, raw materials are extracted and compiled together according to a plan/design to create them. That has absolutely nothing to do with evolution. C'mon, i don't know you but i would like to believe you're smarter than that.

Evolution attempts to explain the mechanism by which life, from simple beginnings evolved to the many complex forms we see today. If you read the my take paragraph you should have observed that I'm not even trying to make any absolute claims about evolution. What i am saying is as far as best explanations go. It is by far superior to anything else. Definitely more than creationism which really doesn't explain nothing, life is because a God noone can explain created it.

I really find it funny that you would compare life. Which grows-from a single cell(zigote) to a full adult human being/animal or from a small seed to a massive tree- to man made objects which is put together by gathering individual parts to create a complete form.

As for how we know and determine truth? Investigation my dear. We carry out investigations using the scientific method. We test findings to see if they work and if they do we keep them, if they don't we dismiss them and carry out further investigations. That's how we know most of what we know today.

How do you think we determine truth? Faith? Mr preacher man or a book says this is true and so i believe its true, no question.

You are treating this case simplistically!

You arrived at your conclusion because you know without a shadow of doubt that vehicles are designed and made by man.

Let's assume this knowledge is not available to you. Like we all came to a certain planet and found millions of vehicles. If we came in with a mindset that since we didn't meet the designers and manufacturers, they cannot exist and that since the vehicles have similar anatomical structure,it must have been "evolution" that produced them.

You may have a problem of the absence of reproduction which aims agree with. But, couldn't the vehicles be "biological". Must the "vehicles" be in the form we can grapple with (metal, plastics and glass)?

Einstein's theory of probability will say "Absolute truth" cannot exist! Do you agree with that?

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 8:45am On Mar 09, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

"Even in other fields like psychology, certain behaviours can be adequately explained from an evolutionary stand point."
What behavior

I think I've explained dna and anatomy in my other post. Please refer to it. The fossils found put together a picture of organisms that have been over long periods of time which from their anatomy and DNA that could be extracted show relationship between life now and then. A relationship that shows where some organisms evolved from. Shows us our ancestors in other words. Some of these fossils are remains of animals that have features of 2 or more of the animals we have today. Showing a common ancestory.

BEHAVIOURS
Behaviours such as our fight or flight response which was a mehanism by which our ancestors survived in the past( where life was more dangerous and they had to put with beasts in the wild) its an automatic response that is triggered even today when we feel threatened although we dont face the same dangers.

Even the fact that we are superstitious today has evolutionary roots. In the past our more bold, less superstitious ancestors would have had a much lower survival rate because mistaking a shadow or movement in the bushes in the past could mean death so those who survived were those who were more weary of these things. Today, although we don't live in the wild where a shadow could mean a predator, we are still scared of shadows and come with all sorts of superstitious explanations.

The fears that we are naturally born with. Fear of hieghts, fear of loud noises. Again in the past these spelt danger so the ancestors that survived are those who heeded these and we today inherited these fears from them.

Mating behaviours. People are naturally attracted to physically and socially(human's being social animals) superior mates because from an evolutionary stand point that will better guarantee the survival of our spieces. Even when it comes to sex. Alot of women have difficulty having organisms because it is not necessary for reproduction. While all men orgasim rather easily, The ones who couldn't would not have been able reproduce and would have died out.

Our disgust. We are naturally repulsed by things that spell danger. Rotten/diseased foods for example. The inability to be repulsed by these things would have meant death for our ancestors and indeed those who couldn't would have died out. Those who did survived and reproduced and today we have disgust as a defence mechanism agasint disease, a behaviour inherited from our ancestors

Im tired of typing lol. Mind you I'm no evolutionary biologist. Actually I'm an undergraduate and not even science so i certainly don't have all the answers. But i think I've able to make my point

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by MuttleyLaff: 8:49am On Mar 09, 2019
Dhumancanvas:

CAPSLOCKED:
THANK YOU.

NNAMDIII:
is there God?

UyiIredia:

Dhumancanvas:

UyiIredia:
I believe in intelligent design which is different from YEC.
ID, is in YEC and in attendance too, so what again is your take on Atheistic Evolution now then?
Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 8:50am On Mar 09, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

What behavior

I think I've explained dna and anatomy in my other post. Please refer to it. The fossils found put together a picture of organisms that have been over long periods of time which from their anatomy and DNA that could be extracted show relationship between life now and then. A relationship that shows where some organisms evolved from. Shows us our ancestors in other words. Some of these fossils are remains of animals that have features of 2 or more of the animals we have today. Showing a common ancestory.

BEHAVIOURS
Behaviours such as our fight or flight response which was a mehanism by which our ancestors survived in the past( where life was more dangerous and they had to put with beasts in the wild) its an automatic response that is triggered even today when we feel threatened although we dont face the same dangers.

Even the fact that we are superstitious today has evolutionary roots. In the past our more bold, less superstitious ancestors would have had a much lower survival rate because mistaking a shadow or movement in the bushes in the past could mean death so those who survived were those who were more weary of these things. Today, although we don't live in the wild where a shadow could mean a predator, we are still scared of shadows and come with all sorts of superstitious explanations.

The fears that we are naturally born with. Fear of hieghts, fear of loud noises. Again in the past these spelt danger so the ancestors that survived are those who heeded these and we today inherited these fears from them.

Mating behaviours. People are naturally attracted to physically and socially(human's being social animals) superior mates because from an evolutionary stand point that will better guarantee the survival of our spieces. Even when it comes to sex. Alot of women have difficulty having organisms because it is not necessary for reproduction. While all men orgasim rather easily, The ones who couldn't would not have been able reproduce and would have died out.

Our disgust. We are naturally repulsed by things that spell danger. Rotten/diseased foods for example. The inability to be repulsed by these things would have meant death for our ancestors and indeed those who couldn't would have died out. Those who did survived and reproduced and today we have disgust as a defence mechanism agasint disease, a behaviour inherited from our ancestors

Im tired of typing lol. Mind you I'm no evolutionary biologist. Actually I'm an undergraduate and not even science so i certainly don't have all the answers. But i think I've able to make my point

1 Like

Re: Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? by Dhumancanvas: 8:56am On Mar 09, 2019
I don't know why y'all get so mad? What's so sickening about what I've said? I simply tried to articulate my view and i did so as respectfully as i could. Could it be because your God is a creation of you, your god is you and anything seen as a threat to your God or his existence is automatically translated as a threat to you? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ALL Pentecostals Should Read This / Six Importants Reasons You Should Seek The God OF Wisdom / What The Bible Says About Relationships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.