Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,263 members, 7,811,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Okocha: ‘nigerian Football Needs Divine Intervention!’ - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha: ‘nigerian Football Needs Divine Intervention!’ (654 Views)

5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say / Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / Enyeama Seeks Divine Intervention To Shine Again For Lille (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Okocha: ‘nigerian Football Needs Divine Intervention!’ by matoyeh(m): 1:41pm On Sep 01, 2010
WHY THE INTEREST IN FOOTBALL ADMINISTRATION?

I have discovered that the best way to ignite change in a certain office is to be part and parcel of such office. Having played football to the highest level, it dawned on me that the only way I can give back to the society is to get involved in Football Administration, most especially at the highest cadre which to me is the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
My main purpose of jostling for NFF top job is to be able to do justice to Nigerian football, which to me has been crawling all these years. Initially I thought I could get all the support needed to get into the office, but later realised that I was contesting with a group of men who have been in the system for years and of course, they know themselves inside out.

THE STRUGGLE

Fine, my brother, Emmanuel Okocha did say my records and pedigree are more than enough to get me into NFF and I agree, but there is a due process to follow to get into the board.
That is the way it is done abroad, but unfortunately in Nigeria, we have our own ways of doing things differently, so I had to contest just like all other contestants. I have always known in Nigeria, nothing is guaranteed irrespective of your pedigree, fame and good name. That is the system we have found ourselves in. The lessons of the election will remain vivid in my memory for the rest of my life. I have come to realise the simple fact that it will take divine intervention for football to chart a new course administratively, simply because lots of people now see NFF as a gold mine where lots of millions can be made.
Irrespective of the outcome of the result of the elections, I strongly feel Nigerian football will surely find it’s true course and go ahead to be one of the best in the World.

WHY FOOTBALL ADMINISTRATION AND NOT COACHING?

Of course football is my life and my passion, but I have always declared to you in all my interviews why I won’t be going into football coaching, at least for my own sake. I regard coaching as one of the most difficult professions in the world. I feel there have been lots of rot and decay in football administration in this great country. I realise that those Nigerians entrusted with the responsibilities of administering and developing the game are not just doing anything to change the fortunes of the game and the players alike. Also, if you consider how most of our ex-internationals suffer neglect, most of them can hardly fend for themselves, then I realise that I cannot sit on the fence and expect changes to occur. I have to come in any capacity I can serve the country and I am happy I gave it my best shot at the end of the day. What is important now is to just enjoin Nigerians to rally behind the board.

THE VIRUS AND CORRUPTION IN NFF

I know lots of Nigerians feel one can be easily polluted given the corruption and canker worm inherent in Nigerian Football Federation over the years. Many have said categorically that no saint goes to the Glass House and comes out with his garment devoid of stains, but I strongly disagree with that; lots of Nigerians know that God in his infinite mercy has given me enough to take care of myself and my family for the rest of our lives, but my mission from the first day I declared my interest in the board, is to help give back to the people and establishment that gave me the opportunity to serve my fatherland. I have played the game to the highest level before and I know what we suffered in the national team. Most of my family and friends feel it will be a good thing if I have the opportunity to serve in the Glass House. You can’t assume that Austin Okocha will be changed by the system because I have my name to protect. There is nothing you do in NFF that will not come to the light for all to see, so I strongly feel those Administrators who became different persons entirely and perpetrate corruption in NFF are not being influenced, rather, they are just carrying out their missions.

WHY EX-INTERNATIONALS FIND IT DIFFICULT TO GET INTO NFF BOARD

That is a difficult puzzle which we have been trying to unravel over the years. Kalusha Bwalya played for Zambia up to the highest level and he successfully moved on to become Zamibia FA boss.
It is a different story entirely here in Nigeria, we see lots of people coming into football administration simply because football has become a gold mine to loot from. My feelings are that nobody will be willing to come near football administration once the source of looting is removed. Decree 101 has been there since 1992 and it has become a source of looting for football politicians.
This is one of the reasons why corporate sponsorship has been a major problem over the years. Some of us who once played this game still keep our intergrity and by the special grace of God; we are a brand that can attract corporate sponsorship.

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD?

Well, I will say that is also a very hard question for me because, am not a soothsayer. Nigeria will always survive as a nation but all we need to do things right if we must get the right results.
There is need for us to restructure Nigerian football from the grassroots and then move on to stabilise age grade tournaments in the country. We all know the talents abound but these talents need to be well harnessed into becoming world beaters. I want an NFF that is devoid of corruption, nepotism and maladministration. My dream NFF is that board that will place strong values on football development and not just participations in competitions alone. I want an NFF that will restore the pride of this nation at the senior level and most importantly use footballers both home and abroad as tools to achieving that cause.
I am just appealing to the Nigerians to still support the board and hope that things change for the best.

SIASIA’S APPOINTMENT

I am happy that at least we have managed to appoint the right man for the job after having many square pegs in round holes.
He (Siasia) is a man who knows his onions as far as football is concerned and he should not have problems succeeding with Super Eagles. We have always called for ex-internationals to lead the way but I’m happy we now have Siasia, who will bring sanity back into our Super Eagles if given all the necessary support. His wealth of experiences as an ex-international will really come in handy most especially in the areas of players selections which has been a major area that needs to be sanitized. I am happy he knows these players very well and should not have problems picking the right calibres of young players needed to wear the national team jersey.
My candid advice to Siasia is to remain incorruptible and ensure that he selects his players on merit. I am glad he said all players who must wear Super Eagles jersies must command regular shirts at their respective clubs; that is the way forward.

SUPER EAGLES

I look forward to seeing a strong Super Eagles in the mould of the USA ‘94 team. The arrival of Samson Siasia will pave way for a new generation of good players who will be committed to taking Nigerian football to the highest level. What has been lacking in that team is absolute commitment from the players; a factor I strongly believe plays a major role in determining team success.
I believe we will see a younger and vibrant national team that will evolve from the local league. They should not have problems qualifying for the African Nations Cup that I think we have no business not winning.

REGRET

I have no regret losing out in the NFF election. It is not the end of the World for me, but I am happy that I have given the election a trial. I will return home to my family and continue life at the top level. I did say it was a 50-50 thing, now that I am out, I wish all the board members all the best in their tenures. I competed against those who have been there for years and in all honesty; they know themselves.
I felt I should give back to Nigeria instead of returning to Bolton FC that was why I chose to settle down at home after Bolton pleaded that I stay behind to impact my knowledge into the young ones. It is not the end of the world for me and I have no regrets competing in NFF election at all.

(1) (Reply)

Video: Top 10 Worst Fouls In Football / Football Pitch Is My Church, Says Obuh (interesting Pic) / Nigeria Players Dominate Afcon Awards!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.