Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

How To Get NLNG Scholarship For Masters Degree Abroad - 9 Tips For Success - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Get NLNG Scholarship For Masters Degree Abroad - 9 Tips For Success (325 Views)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad / Can HND Holders Apply For Masters Degree Abroad Without Pgd / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Get NLNG Scholarship For Masters Degree Abroad - 9 Tips For Success by icanplus: 1:16pm On Mar 11, 2019
If you’re planning to embark on a Master’s programme abroad especially in the UK as an international student, you may have come across NLNG postgraduate scholarship during your search for funding.

This is a highly prestigious award due to its rigorous and competitive selection process. My batch (2016-2017) received over 15,000 applicants, but only 15 of us were selected! That is less than 1%. Amazing isn’t it? cool

If you’re thinking of applying yourself, here are some tips from my experience! smiley

#1 Purpose of Scholarship – adding value to your home country
One of the key things that must reflect in your personal statement during your application is how you intend to apply the knowledge you will obtain in developing Nigeria. Be prepared to elaborate on this if you make it to the interview stage as this is the pinnacle of NLNG’s CSR.

#2 Check the eligibility criteria
This is a requirement that most people overlook. As at 2018, only the following 5 schools were chosen: University of Aberdeen, University of Cranfield, University of Leeds, University of Strathclyde, and University of Liverpool.

#3 Be aware of the timeline
It typically opens in April of each year; hence this post is very timely. Watch out so you don’t miss it and be sure to apply before the deadline.

#4 Write a killer personal statement
Your personal statement is you they are not seeing at the moment just like your CV. You need to spend some time researching on what and how you want to write to be able to convince your reader that you are worth an interview. You need to be convinced after writing your essay. If you cannot convince yourself of the justifications you are making in your essays, how can you convince the selection panel?

#5 Prepare for interview
Talk about your academic / professional background and mention relevant experiences that led you to this decision. Give examples when answering questions that require you to prove how you have demonstrated a particular attribute. It is important to ask the selection panel at least one question. Interview should be a two way discussion. Endeavour to ask intelligent questions related to the subject matter. For me, I believe that the one question I asked in addition to my achievements was the climax of my interview. They did not expect the question and had no plans for what I wanted to find out. It was a very simple question yet they were not prepared for it. (Want to know what I asked them?) They all agreed it was an intelligent question and promised to do something about it. I’m sure that out of the numerous other candidates interviewed, I stood out and stuck in their memory as I had given them an assignment with my question.

#6 Choose prominent referees
Having a professor or a technical manager in your area of specialization gives an image of someone who is exceptional to be able to get reference from such caliber of people. This is my personal opinion but I believe it gives you a competitive advantage. Contact your referees when filing your application so they are aware and willing to provide good references when required to avoid delay in your application.

#7 Check the language requirements
IELTS academic version is mandatory for the application and not less than a band 8 is required. There are many resources for IELTS preparation online as well as online and face-to-face classes. Please do not think that since it is an English test and you speak English, that it will be a walk in the park. Well, it is for some people while some others require intensive preparation to ace it. Band 8 is not a joke.

#8 Make hay while the sun shines
Just like every other application, do not delay the application till the eleventh hour. What is the online application system slows down due to the number of people trying to beat the submission deadline? This is a good time to start gathering the required documents and composing your personal statement. You have an idea of when the scholarship will pen and the basic requirements.

#9 Try, try and try again

It is good to mention that I got the scholarship at the second attempt just lie a couple of others in my set. My first application was in 2014. I got to the interview stage but was not selected. I guess there were other candidates who gave more formidable responses during the interview than I did. Did the rejection deter me? The answer will always be NO. Just like the other numerous scholarships I applied to and was rejected, I knew I had to try again.

If you need more guidance or more insider tips on what makes a successful NLNG application, kindly contact me and I will be happy to coach you. I hope you find these tips useful, and please don’t be put off applying for NLNG scholarship because the prize is worth the fight.

Goodluck and watch out for when it opens! wink

Ask your questions and I will be happy to respond

1 Like

Re: How To Get NLNG Scholarship For Masters Degree Abroad - 9 Tips For Success by Adewale52: 4:24pm On Sep 14, 2020
Good evening sir,please i need your whatsapp number for guidlines �

(1) (Reply)

Solutions To Solve Your Essay Writing Problems / Issues With Registration On Nigerian Law School Site / What Are The Factors, Which Influence Effective Writing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.