Stats: 3,151,960 members, 7,814,246 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad (27355 Views)

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? / Can HND Holders Apply For Masters Degree Abroad Without Pgd / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? (2) (3) (4)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Lyricalgod: 6:23pm On Mar 06, 2020
I graduated from the university in 2017 and served the following year, have tried a couple of job applications and internship programs but none has paid off.

Days back my parents asked me to apply for a masters programme abroad, since they would have less financial engagement next year,they would be able to sponsor me comfortably, I suggested giving me the money to setup a business instead,but they were not too interested.

But am confused don't know where to start,and how to go about it I.e application, visa etc.. I know a lot of experienced readers are here who have been there,and i know their are people like me out there who want to learn and gain vital information.

Mods please push this to front page

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by montumonami(m): 7:01pm On Mar 06, 2020
I graduated same year and served the following year as well. Also applied for jobs and internships but none seemed to work out. In my own case, I'm not from a financially advantaged home, so I have resorted to applying for scholarships for masters abroad. I think I have applied up to 4 masters scholarships so far. I think you should try same.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by montumonami(m): 7:06pm On Mar 06, 2020
Again, if you want to be self sponsored as stated in your post,
(1) check your country of choice
(2) research on the school you're applying to, example. entry requirements like IELTs, transcripts, etc.
(3) work toward getting all the required documents and start your application....

First, you should apply for international passport.. That's the first thing I did as it is required in most of the applications.
I hope pros in this can contribute so I learn also...

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 06, 2020
Great thread.

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by chibike69: 10:05am On Mar 07, 2020
angryq
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by hisexcellency34: 10:05am On Mar 07, 2020
Why go abroad when you can conveniently do your Masters Degree at Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University?? One of the very best in the country now

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by jbreezy: 10:06am On Mar 07, 2020
Kk
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by PureGoldh(m): 10:06am On Mar 07, 2020
Just wanna wish you all the best of luck

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by wonuks(m): 10:06am On Mar 07, 2020
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by adonainana: 10:06am On Mar 07, 2020
The right step to study for a masters abroad is to make sure the recipient country gives you opportunity to stay there and look for work legally after your graduation.

Thus countries like canada, US, Australia should come into your mind.

If your fees are not that much, consider English speaking arabic countries such as Bahrain, UAE, etc. These countries are seriously underated, no income tax, plentiful of jobs etc, Forget anything about religion and focus on your life for now

Dont be scared of starting new things, going into a country for a first time is the equivalent of sometimes travelling to a new state within your country for the first time, at first you wont know anyone. It is normal.

All you have to make sure is that the country will allow you to stay and find work. This is because the money you paid back in tuition fees and accomodation, etc. It is feasible that you make it all back even before you leave that country. It is just common sense really

Dont join the bandwagon, cos my friends are going here, one uncle said this one uncle said that.

AVOID THE UK. AVOID THE UK, AVOID COMING TO THE UK FOR MASTERS OR FOR ANYTHING

The day your visa ends as a student here in the UK, it is the day they stop even acknowledging that you were even once a student and it is one of the most expensive countries to live in the World.

If you have already made the mistakes stated above, well for now you are on your own, perhaps you just need to keep pushing and trying to find a job within Nigeria for now or start to look for countries you can go for further study in

98 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Iamdmentor1(m): 10:06am On Mar 07, 2020
Motivation
Money
Information
Action

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by IamPatriotic(m): 10:07am On Mar 07, 2020
Go to Ministry of National Planning on Independent Avenue, Abuja.

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by DuBLINGreenb(m): 10:07am On Mar 07, 2020
Where are the expats? Come oh
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by ufotty2001: 10:07am On Mar 07, 2020
The only right step is after studying your Master degree u run for ur dear life, don't come back here. My friend got a scholarship from LNG to Msc... Immediately before he finished he is already married.. bro, use wisdon! This country is dead

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Kingpele(m): 10:07am On Mar 07, 2020
cheesy abeg am not going anywhere till I see the end of this convid19, make nobody lure me to go outside and contact this shit abeg... Make this virus no go mal handle man ni.. Yes am afraid of conoravirus

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Npower: 10:08am On Mar 07, 2020
If you are poor or struggling, you would find every means to leave this zoo. But for me, I know even Dangote no see my back
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by mayor10(m): 10:08am On Mar 07, 2020
Know our stand.

Like know the requirements of he school you'd wish to go, write GRE,TOEFL and then apply to schools.

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by mayor10(m): 10:08am On Mar 07, 2020
Know your stand.

Like know the requirements of he school you'd wish to go, write GRE,TOEFL and then apply to schools.

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by supereagle(m): 10:08am On Mar 07, 2020
I can post some scholarship links for you.

Modified:
Posted on page 3 now.

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by NWANICHODE: 10:09am On Mar 07, 2020
Ask yourself first _ what is the relevance of the masters degree when you finish? What differentiates you from others who did it I their country? What can you do differently ?

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Omnivalent(m): 10:09am On Mar 07, 2020
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by DuBLINGreenb(m): 10:09am On Mar 07, 2020
supereagle:
I can post some scholarship links for you.
Abeg post let me see
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Websolutionsx1: 10:09am On Mar 07, 2020
montumonami:
Again, if you want to be self sponsored as stated in your post,
(1) check your country of choice
(2) research on the school you're applying to, example. entry requirements like IELTs, transcripts, etc.
(3) work toward getting all the required documents and start your application....

First, you should apply for international passport.. That's the first thing I did as it is required in most of the applications.
I hope pros in this can contribute so I learn also...

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by AngryIgboMan: 10:09am On Mar 07, 2020

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Crispels(m): 10:11am On Mar 07, 2020
Lyricalgod:
I graduated from the university in 2017 and served the following year, have tried a couple of job applications and internship programs but none has paid off.

Days back my parents asked me to apply for a masters programme abroad, since they would have less financial engagement next year,they would be able to sponsor me comfortably, I suggested giving me the money to setup a business instead,but they were not too interested.

But am confused don't know where to start,and how to go about it I.e application, visa etc.. I know a lot of experienced readers are here who have been there,and i know their are people like me out there who want to learn and gain vital information.

Mods please push this to front page

Which country are you looking at? What is your program of choice?

Your answer to these two will determine what your search and the process would look like. You will be using Google for the most part tho.
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by brightology3: 10:11am On Mar 07, 2020
Am here to learn too as I intend traveling out for my Msc. Am currently doing PGD, having the mind to switch profession from my bsc to my PGD course.
Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Selfkontrol: 10:14am On Mar 07, 2020
Try to persuade them to set you up for business. A masters degree is not a road map to a good job unless maybe you don’t plan on coming back to Nigeria. But if you’re still coming back to Nigeria, you would still be looking for that same job unless your parents have better connect. That money to spend on masters is enough to set you up in Nigeria.
But if you still want to travel for your masters then Australia and Canada is your best shot but it’s best you go through the Permanent residency route depending on your course to make things much easier for you.
There are bunch of information on travel section. Go through Canada and Australia thread and you will have enough information to kickstart your journey. Goodluck

Re: Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad by Datasolution985: 10:14am On Mar 07, 2020

UNILAG Crisis: Babalakin Resigns, Faults President Buhari's Action / UI, ABU, Others Support Suspension Of ASUU Strike / 2 Imo Polytechnic Students Die In Fire Outbreak. Graphic Photos