Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,920 members, 7,817,694 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 (36498 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 1:54pm On Jul 18, 2019
Hello Mgbocha,

You are welcome to ask for an emergency appointment, but there is no guarantee it will be granted.

Mgbocha:

Please kindly respond. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by OneGuyLikeDat: 2:15am On Jul 19, 2019
Hello,

My sister is scheduled for a visa interview 1 week after her wedding. She will not have gotten all the necessary documents for change of name and her passport will still have her maiden name. I believe being married may improve her chances of being approved as this shows her closer ties to Nigeria. Should she come with her old passport and come with her supporting marriage documents or better for her to reschedule till when she gets her passport renewed with the new last name?

Also, in the DS160 form, I indicated I will be the sponsor. What supporting documents do I need to give her to take along; my paystub, account statement etc? I am a US permanent resident residing in the US.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2019
Hello OneGuyLikeDat,

She can come with her current passport, no need to wait until she gets a new one. She does not need to bring any documentation to attest to her marital status or to your sponsorship of her trip. It is sometimes helpful to have a copy of the sponsor's passport to verify certain details, but the consular officer may not look at it at all. If the consular officer needs any information to make their final decision, they will let her know.

OneGuyLikeDat:
Hello,

My sister is scheduled for a visa interview 1 week after her wedding. She will not have gotten all the necessary documents for change of name and her passport will still have her maiden name. I believe being married may improve her chances of being approved as this shows her closer ties to Nigeria. Should she come with her old passport and come with her supporting marriage documents or better for her to reschedule till when she gets her passport renewed with the new last name?

Also, in the DS160 form, I indicated I will be the sponsor. What supporting documents do I need to give her to take along; my paystub, account statement etc? I am a US permanent resident residing in the US.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by mrsbw: 11:25am On Jul 23, 2019
Hello USMissionNGRA

Is it wrong to apply for a B1/B2 visa when one has an F4 immigration petition pending (which will not be current for at least 10 years)

We were denied our tourist visa for this reason and we are wondering why we cannot visit the US for vacation just because we have an immigrant petition whose processing will take q very long time to complete

Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 1:52pm On Jul 23, 2019
Hello mrsbw,

Unless the consular officer specifically told you "Your visa was refused because of your pending F4 application", which is very unlikely, you would not know the exact reason your visa was refused. More likely, a combination of factors meant that the consular officer was not convinced that you would use your visa in accordance with U.S. immigration law. The F4 petition might have played a role in it or it might not have.

You can read more about 214b refusals here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-denials.html

mrsbw:
Hello USMissionNGRA

Is it wrong to apply for a B1/B2 visa when one has an F4 immigration petition pending (which will not be current for at least 10 years)

We were denied our tourist visa for this reason and we are wondering why we cannot visit the US for vacation just because we have an immigrant petition whose processing will take q very long time to complete

Thank you

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by icecube98: 2:27am On Jul 24, 2019
Dear USMissionNGRA,

I applied for B1/B2 visa at U.S Embassy, Abuja and had interview on May 15, 2019. After the interview, I was given a yellow paper stating that my application will undergo further “Administrative Processing”.

The consular officer said he will forward supplementary questions to my email that I should reply him with the answers to enable him make decision on my visa application which I replied a day after my interview.

It’s more than 60 days after the interview and my visa status on CAEC web is still showing “Administrative Processing”. Kindly advice on what to do.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 12:27pm On Jul 24, 2019
Hello icecube98,

Please contact the Embassy at consularabuja@state.gov with your passport number to inquire about your case.

icecube98:
Dear USMissionNGRA,

I applied for B1/B2 visa at U.S Embassy, Abuja and had interview on May 15, 2019. After the interview, I was given a yellow paper stating that my application will undergo further “Administrative Processing”.

The consular officer said he will forward supplementary questions to my email that I should reply him with the answers to enable him make decision on my visa application which I replied a day after my interview.

It’s more than 60 days after the interview and my visa status on CAEC web is still showing “Administrative Processing”. Kindly advice on what to do.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by thebaft: 6:02pm On Jul 24, 2019
Dear USMissionNGRA,

Thanks for all the good work you do, assisting us to clarify issues that are not clear. Kept it up.

My mother applied for a B1/B2 visa through dropbox, but was refused under section 221G. She was advised to schedule a new appointment to meet with a consular officer for an interview, at no extra cost.

After several unsuccessful attempts to schedule a 221g appointment, she contacted the US Visa Service Desk, but was informed she cannot book a 221G appointment because her MRV receipt was only valid for one year.

My question is this ... Is the 221G appointment without additional cost valid for one year from the visa refusal or valid for one year from the payment of the MRV fee?

Kindly let me know. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by japhethGold: 6:33pm On Jul 25, 2019
Hello good people from US Mission Nigeria,

I did not type my middle name on appointment slip when I was filling it to book appointment for b1/b2 visa, and I am afraid I would not be interviewed because of this. I made effort to edit the it but it was greyed out so can't change it.

Note my middle name is in my DS160 form as contained in my passport: it is only on appointment slip that I did not add while filing it.

My interview is next week Friday; how can I correct this? Or I should not bother about it?

Please your urgent response from experience is appreciated.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 1:16pm On Jul 29, 2019
Hello thebaft,

Receipts are valid for one year from they day they were purchased. If more than a year has passed since the receipt was purchased, your mother will need to purchase a new receipt.

thebaft:
Dear USMissionNGRA,

Thanks for all the good work you do, assisting us to clarify issues that are not clear. Kept it up.

My mother applied for a B1/B2 visa through dropbox, but was refused under section 221G. She was advised to schedule a new appointment to meet with a consular officer for an interview, at no extra cost.

After several unsuccessful attempts to schedule a 221g appointment, she contacted the US Visa Service Desk, but was informed she cannot book a 221G appointment because her MRV receipt was only valid for one year.

My question is this ... Is the 221G appointment without additional cost valid for one year from the visa refusal or valid for one year from the payment of the MRV fee?

Kindly let me know. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 1:16pm On Jul 29, 2019
Hello japhethGold,

The presence or absence of a middle name will not affect your application. Don't worry about it!

japhethGold:

Hello good people from US Mission Nigeria,

I did not type my middle name on appointment slip when I was filling it to book appointment for b1/b2 visa, and I am afraid I would not be interviewed because of this. I made effort to edit the it but it was greyed out so can't change it.

Note my middle name is in my DS160 form as contained in my passport: it is only on appointment slip that I did not add while filing it.

My interview is next week Friday; how can I correct this? Or I should not bother about it?

Please your urgent response from experience is appreciated.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by thebaft: 3:38pm On Jul 29, 2019
Ah I see... We will proceed to purchase a new receipt then. I have a follow up question. In this scenario, since we will be getting a new receipt, is there any benefit in following up with the 221g appointment? Or should we start on a clean slate with a fresh application and appointment? Kindly let me know. Cheers!

USMissionNGRA:
Hello thebaft,

Receipts are valid for one year from they day they were purchased. If more than a year has passed since the receipt was purchased, your mother will need to purchase a new receipt.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 3:47pm On Jul 29, 2019
Hello thebaft,

You won't be able to proceed with the 221g appointment. We'll be able to see that your mother was asked to return for interview but that for whatever reason, she didn't or couldn't return within the year's period for the follow-up. We will still be doing essentially the same interview we would have done if she had returned within the year, but it will be with a new receipt.

thebaft:
Ah I see... We will proceed to purchase a new receipt then. I have a follow up question. In this scenario, since we will be getting a new receipt, is there any benefit in following up with the 221g appointment? Or should we start on a clean slate with a fresh application and appointment? Kindly let me know. Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by thebaft: 5:17pm On Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the clarification. I guess it was a faux pas on our part. We initially got the receipt on 15 June 2018, but only but submitted the Dropbox application on in January 2019. But was refused on 221g with one year to book an appointment for 221g interview. And we were naive thinking that we had till January 2020 to book a 221g appointment without realizing the receipt had expired in June 2019. A classic case of a comedy of errors.

Now that all this has been straightened out. We shall proceed with a fresh application and appointment booking. Thanks for taking out the time out your busy schedule to respond to my inquiries.

Cheers!

USMissionNGRA:
Hello thebaft,

You won't be able to proceed with the 221g appointment. We'll be able to see that your mother was asked to return for interview but that for whatever reason, she didn't or couldn't return within the year's period for the follow-up. We will still be doing essentially the same interview we would have done if she had returned within the year, but it will be with a new receipt.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by jesscaxt(f): 12:45pm On Jul 30, 2019
good day, i just got an email to pick up my passport yesterday evening and when i did this morning i was put on hold/refused under the 221g category and asked to book a follow up appointment. i just logged in now and im unable to see any time or date to select. please help. thanks.

Also, it says to schedule within 2 business days from the date on the letter which is the 25th but i only just got notified to pick up on the 29th around 4pm and i just picked up today could that be the reason why there are no dates coming up for me to select and what could i do as it wasnt my fault.
regards.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by kimipa: 11:25am On Jul 31, 2019
Dear USMissionNGRA,

My wife and I applied to renew our visas via the Dropbox option but we were asked to come for a follow interview under 221g. I was able to get appointment date for 3rd Sept. 2019.

However, last week at the office I was informed by the management of my organisation that I have been chosen for a training in Dubai from 1st == 5th September 2019.

I have gone on line to try and reschedule the interview for another date, but what am seeing is there are no appointment dates available and if I cancel this appointment, then I will have exceeded the limit of appointments canceled, and will not be able to schedule another appointment until another MRV fee has been paid.

Cancelling the appointment will also not look good on my part as it may be misconstrued for something else.

Please advise if there is hope of getting appointment dates soon or what i can do in this regard to ensure I don't have pay another MRV fee again.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by flourishing247: 4:23pm On Jul 31, 2019
Ok
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 3:05pm On Aug 01, 2019
Hello jesscaxt,

Most likely, you can't see any appointment dates because all of the available ones have been taken. Please continue to check back frequently - more dates are released all the time.

jesscaxt:
good day, i just got an email to pick up my passport yesterday evening and when i did this morning i was put on hold/refused under the 221g category and asked to book a follow up appointment. i just logged in now and im unable to see any time or date to select. please help. thanks.

Also, it says to schedule within 2 business days from the date on the letter which is the 25th but i only just got notified to pick up on the 29th around 4pm and i just picked up today could that be the reason why there are no dates coming up for me to select and what could i do as it wasnt my fault.
regards.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 3:06pm On Aug 01, 2019
Hello kimipa,

Your choices are to reschedule the appointment and pay another MRV fee or show up to the appointment you've already booked.

kimipa:
Dear USMissionNGRA,

My wife and I applied to renew our visas via the Dropbox option but we were asked to come for a follow interview under 221g. I was able to get appointment date for 3rd Sept. 2019.

However, last week at the office I was informed by the management of my organisation that I have been chosen for a training in Dubai from 1st == 5th September 2019.

I have gone on line to try and reschedule the interview for another date, but what am seeing is there are no appointment dates available and if I cancel this appointment, then I will have exceeded the limit of appointments canceled, and will not be able to schedule another appointment until another MRV fee has been paid.

Cancelling the appointment will also not look good on my part as it may be misconstrued for something else.

Please advise if there is hope of getting appointment dates soon or what i can do in this regard to ensure I don't have pay another MRV fee again.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 02, 2019
Hello @USMissionNGRA

Is it legal for a parent in her 60s, no travel history to apply for B1B2 visa to visit her undocumented immigrant son with his American citizen wife and 3 little kids in America? She has never seen the children and is very eager to do so. Son's wife is eager to see her as well.
Can she list her son's address on the application? Son and wife live together.
This is due to Trump's illegal immigrant crackdown issues.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 10:09am On Aug 02, 2019
Hello Ije004,

It is legal for anyone to apply for a B1/B2 visa to visit anyone. However, it seems your question is really getting at two different issues, which are: a) will the mother be given a visa, and b) will her visa application affect the son’s status in the U.S.?

We cannot comment on the chances of anyone being granted a visa, but always recommend applicants are honest and forthcoming about their purpose of travel. This includes supplying correct information about where they are going, who they are visiting, and how long they plan to stay. If we cannot determine an applicant’s true purpose of travel, it is unlikely that they will be granted a visa. Additionally, intentionally providing false information to a consular officer or CBP officer could result in serious consequences, such as not being admitted to the United States when arriving at the port of entry, revocation of a visa, and a permanent bar from entry into the United States.

As consular officers employed by the Department of State, we cannot comment on the internal processes of other Departments, like, say, the Department of Homeland Security, which is charged with “[protecting] America from the cross-border crime and illegal immigration that threaten national security and public safety.” If there are any further questions or concerns regarding the son’s immigration status, we recommend he speak with an immigration attorney.

We hope this answer has been helpful.

Ije004:
Hello @USMissionNGRA

Is it legal for a parent in her 60s, no travel history to apply for B1B2 visa to visit her undocumented immigrant son with his American citizen wife and 3 little kids in America? She has never seen the children and is very eager to do so. Son's wife is eager to see her as well.
Can she list her son's address on the application? Son and wife live together.
This is due to Trump's illegal immigrant crackdown issues.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 11:12am On Aug 05, 2019
Hello donblack001,

If you cannot provide proof of payment for your SEVIS fee at the time of your interview, your visa will generally be refused under section 221g, which is also known as "administrative processing." If you were given a letter saying that your case was in administrative processing, you should be able to reschedule your appointment shortly, as many appointments were opened up for exactly this reason. If your visa was refused under 214b, you are welcome to schedule another appointment and request an emergency date, but we cannot guarantee it will be granted.

donblack001:
Hello USMissionNGRA,

I mailed my Sevis fee a week before my interview and it didn't arrive until a day before the interview and was not processed that same day. By the time I realized that I wouldn't be getting the receipt for the interview, it was too late and so I went for the Interview hoping I would get a chance to explain and even show the mail payment slip but was rejected almost immediately my interview started. I got the receipt confirmation, unfortunately, that same day and would love to reapply next week Monday. Is it possible I get an emergency interview date approved that same week because I have to resume by August 15.

Thank you for your time.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 6:56pm On Aug 05, 2019
Hello USMissionNGRA,

I will like to know if a previous visa denial can influence the outcome of a US visa interview.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by specilex: 8:22pm On Aug 05, 2019
Hello,

What are possible reasons a student may be denied emergency appointment even after providing I-20 and SEVIS information about admission showing resumption in 3 weeks?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by USMissionNGRA: 7:40am On Aug 07, 2019
Hello shoyoyebiodun,

Yes, it can. This is part of the reason we advise people not to reapply unless there have been significant changes in their circumstances, or unless they have new evidence they would like to provide to the consular officer.

shoyoyebiodun:
Hello USMissionNGRA,

I will like to know if a previous visa denial can influence the outcome of a US visa interview.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by olu4life(m): 11:42am On Aug 07, 2019
Hi everyone, please I have series of questions o. Just hope I'm on the right thread smiley

So my aunt in US filed for all her siblings, their spouse and children in 2006.
We got a letter 2009 stating it was still in process.
Never heard anything till 3 months ago. Sent letter with deadline of less than a year to submit documents and go for interview. Waiting on other siblings so as to file together by my aunt's petitioner.

My questions
What's the feasibility of all beneficiaries spouse been granted?

As at 2006, some of the beneficiaries children were 20 below. But now, way over 30yrs, any possibility for them?

If Yes, can one include the kids of those who had given birth among the children?

Lastly, what documents are needed aside passport for the main beneficiaries? And hope the children wont be required to bring documents also

Sorry for the multiple questions cheesy

cc @USMissionNGRA
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by jesscaxt(f): 11:27am On Aug 09, 2019
USMissionNGRA:
Hello jesscaxt,

Most likely, you can't see any appointment dates because all of the available ones have been taken. Please continue to check back frequently - more dates are released all the time.

Ok thanks a lot.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We're Listening Pt. 3 by BuBuWonder1: 11:32pm On Aug 10, 2019
Hello @USMissionNGRA

What's your best advice for a student NIV applicant whose school is resuming in about a week and his Visa application which has been on Administrative processing since August 1st hasn't been updated?

Bearing in mind that the Consular Officer approved his visa after the interview, handed him both white slips indicating an approval but stated that the Administrative Processing is to confirm authenticity of bank documents submitted

Thanks in anticipation of your response

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Finland Japa / Occupants Escape Unhurt As Container Falls On Vehicle In Ikorodu (Photo) / Photos Of Abuja Metro Line To Be Commissioned By Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.