Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! (8687 Views)

Subliminal Messages Hidden In Disney Cartoons That Our Kids Watch / Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by zaliya(f): 12:21pm On Sep 02, 2010
Powerpuff girls, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Samurai Jack, Camp Lazlo, ,

My son thinks the characters in these Cartoons are real!

He just got back from the orthopedics after jumping and breaking his elbow joint.

Pls share your experiences on what this has done to you children (Positively or negatively)

Tanks
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by ThinTima(f): 12:57pm On Sep 02, 2010
zaliya:

Powerpuff girls, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Samurai Jack, Camp Lazlo, ,

My son thinks the characters in these Cartoons are real!

He just got back from the orthopedics after jumping and breaking his elbow joint.

Pls share your experiences on what this has done to you children (Positively or negatively)

Tanks
How old is your son? I think their (children) age should play a part in what they watch. For instance children under 5 should not watch such cartoons as you mentioned above, especially the Power Puff Girls, What happened to Barney and those soft children shows cool
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by kokoye(m): 5:22pm On Sep 02, 2010
^^^ good suggestion.

How old is he?
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by bece: 7:33pm On Sep 02, 2010
Nobody wants to watch barney we want ben 10,bakugan,my gym partner is a monkey. One really need to watch some of these cartoons with them some are violent for children under 10
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by coalcoal1(m): 9:47pm On Sep 02, 2010
my 3 year old son thinks he can do what superman does. He puts a wrapper around his neck and jumps down the chairs in the sitting room trying to fly like superman. There was a time he almost got injured in the process.
I think there should be age restrictions for the kind of cartoons that our kids watch.
Of course, these days, there are adult cartoons (where the characters are having SE.X). I am sure you don't want to expose your kids to such!
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by tpiah: 4:19am On Sep 03, 2010
cartoon network is not for very young kids.

find out which shows are age appropriate for the child in question.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by oyinmama(f): 12:23pm On Sep 03, 2010
^^^ tpiah you are so right, peeps never understand why my daughters now ages 5 and 7 dont watch cartoon network. The mistake many parents make is that they assume that anything 'cartoon' is for kids, and this arises from the fact that many of us do not take the time out to watch tv with our kids, which would have given the opportunity to notice these very valid issues.

My own take is that cartoon network isnt for children per se because there's a lot of violence and stuff involved. The channels my kids watch are Boomerang, Disney channel, Cbeebies and Kids Co which feature a wide variety of suitable age-appropriate,children-oriented AND educative programs.

My two kobo,
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by zaliya(f): 12:50pm On Sep 03, 2010
@ ThinTima, Kokoye, He is 6 years old.

Tanks all.

The kids think Barney is for say 1 year olds, they want only [b]Ben 10, George of the Jungle, Batman, superman, e.t.c[/b]with all the dangerous stunts.

I think i will go by what Oyinmama suggested. Maybe Kidsco.

Am tired of all the cartoon Stunts!!!

I wish there was SESAME STREET
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by mukina2: 12:00pm On Sep 04, 2010
I do not allow the little girl( she is 4) to watch dangerous ones oh, she will want to try them.

We watch Tom and Jerry, 64 Zoo lane, masupulami, Ferdy,and some other very kiddie cartoons. Also the Kiddie shows teaching them how to count, spell,Nursery rhymes and so on. no power ranger kinda thing oh shocked

Nothing like those ones oh, i know her very well to know she will want to do like they do.
ordinary tom and jerry, when i was not watching her, she wanted to feed the tv ( give jerry Juice after tom took his milk) shocked Imagine if she watches any power ranger kinda thing.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by mabaker(f): 1:02pm On Sep 04, 2010
mukina2:

I do not allow the little girl( she is 4) to watch dangerous ones oh, she will want to try them.

We watch Tom and Jerry, 64 Zoo lane, masupulami, Ferdy,and some other very kiddie cartoons. Also the Kiddie shows teaching them how to count, spell,Nursery rhymes and so on. no power ranger kinda thing oh shocked

Nothing like those ones oh, i know her very well to know she will want to do like they do.
ordinary tom and jerry, when i was not watching her, she wanted to feed the tv ( give jerry Juice after tom took his milk) shocked Imagine if she watches any power ranger kinda thing.

did you say tom and Jerry.?
tom and Jerry is one of the most violent cartoons ever
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by Epiphany(m): 1:15pm On Sep 04, 2010
I think kids are very different. Watch your kid to know the kind of kid he/she is. Some children are gentle and very docile. They can watch all the 'violent' cartoons where people are flying and fighting and still not engage in any of kinds of stuff they see on TV. Some other kids may watch the same thing and begin to jump from the balcony and rooftop or even wish to 'fly'. The trick is to know your kid . . . if you have had such an experience with him/her, then STOP them from watching stuff. I mean, WE ARE THE PARENTS and should be able to regulate what you want your child to watch or not watch.

I grew up watching all kinds of cartoons from Tom and Jerry to Superman to Spiderman etc. All the children in my family did the same. NONE OF US ever wanted to do what superman did or what Tom and Jerry did to each other. I know a lot of other children who were my friends that grew up not doing the things we saw on TV too.

The problem is leaving your kid to watch TV, thinking that it will substitute for your OWN PRESENCE AND ADVICE. I watch cartoons with my daughter and have been doing so with her since she was 2. She is now 4 and has never wanted to act out what she has seen. Her TV is also regulated and she has times when she is allowed to watch and times when she is not . . . and she knows this. When i say 'off' she does not complain - even though she used to do so. I am the parent in the relationship and whatever i say goes.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by mukina2: 1:18pm On Sep 04, 2010
mabaker:

did you say tom and Jerry.?
tom and Jerry is one of the most violent cartoons ever
naaa its not, its funny, kids wont want to try those stuff tongue

Epiphany:

I think kids are very different. Watch your kid to know the kind of kid he/she is. Some children are gentle and very docile. They can watch all the 'violent' cartoons where people are flying and fighting and still not engage in any of kinds of stuff they see on TV. Some other kids may watch the same thing and begin to jump from the balcony and rooftop or even wish to 'fly'. The trick is to know your kid . . . if you have had such an experience with him/her, then STOP them from watching stuff. I mean, WE ARE THE PARENTS and should be able to regulate what you want your child to watch or not watch.

I grew up watching all kinds of cartoons from Tom and Jerry to Superman to Spiderman etc. All the children in my family did the same. NONE OF US ever wanted to do what superman did or what Tom and Jerry did to each other. I know a lot of other children who were my friends that grew up not doing the things we saw on TV too.

The problem is leaving your kid to watch TV, thinking that it will substitute for your OWN PRESENCE AND ADVICE. I watch cartoons with my daughter and have been doing so with her since she was 2. She is now 4 and has never wanted to act out what she has seen. Her TV is also regulated and she has times when she is allowed to watch and times when she is not . . . and she knows this. When i say 'off' she does not complain - even though she used to do so. I am the parent in the relationship and whatever i say goes.
Dear
kids nowadays are different from us oh. they do things we could only imagine about back then grin
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by marcus1234: 1:19pm On Sep 04, 2010
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 04, 2010
marcus1234:

Disney lol [img]http://2.s07.flagcounter.com/count/DymW/bg=ffffff/txt=ffffff/border=ffffff/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0/[/img]

disney presents a diff kind of rot - your kids groe up looking up to the jonas brothers , ,ylie cyrus and that gomez chick. not good
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2010
There is nothing wtong with cartoons or the children, something is wrong with the parents who will not supervise and regulate what their children watch. Thats your responsibility. STOP SPOILING YOUR CHILDREN< say no to them, regulate their TV hours and TV content
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by favouredjb(f): 8:21am On Sep 06, 2010
Thank God for nairaland,u learn everyday.av learnt a thing or two.

1 Like

Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by zaliya(f): 10:51am On Sep 06, 2010
aisha2:

There is nothing wtong with cartoons or the children, something is wrong with the parents who will not supervise and regulate what their children watch. Thats your responsibility. STOP SPOILING YOUR CHILDREN< say no to them, regulate their TV hours and TV content

Agreed. But would parents always be there to regulate? Even when one is there, one cannot really predict the next move in different Cartoon episodes!!!
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by netotse(m): 11:00am On Sep 06, 2010
take the time to watch the cartoons and decide what you feel is best for your child. . .yes there will be times when the child will disobey, but should that stop you from doing the right thing?
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 09, 2010
zaliya:

Agreed. But would parents always be there to regulate? Even when one is there, one cannot really predict the next move in different Cartoon episodes!!!

CBeebies is one kiddy channel that features age appropriate programs for little kids. Their cartoons are hardly violent and they feature very educative programs like Show me, I can cook, Nina and the Neurons, etc. If you have to leave your child unsupervised when watching tv its your best bet- at least that's what i do anyway.

1 Like

Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by smartmom(f): 4:44pm On Sep 10, 2010
Simply put, we tend to be lazy parents who turn our kids over to the blue screened nanny of TV way too many times to have our peace. When we were kids, TV was not the 24/7 of these days of cable TV so even when we watched Tom and Jerry and the rest, we didnt have to obsessed with it like our kids now. I had to stop my kids fro waking up to cartoon network, watching while they shove food into their mouth, practically breathing and eating cartoon all day long. Divert them with books instead, let them play outdoors or creative games.

Moreover, check out the way these trade names are flaying us with their Ben 10 monogrammed toys and stuff. I simply refused to kow tow to that blackmail out of principle!haba! you have to dole out 10 times the dough simply bcause its a Dora bag, a Ben 10 shirt and a Spiderman lunch bag. So unfair!

1 Like

Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by smartmom(f): 4:50pm On Sep 10, 2010
To add to the said above, I saw a similar posting here and read a thing or 2 here too:

http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,3.0.html
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by Bossman(m): 3:30am On Sep 11, 2010
I agree. CN, Nickelodeon, and the other kids networks have shows for different age groups. One just needs to make sure thay are watching shows that are appropriate for their age. Yes, I know that even Sponge-Bob uses some not so nice words and the kids learn from such shows. My kids are 9 and 7, so I try to make sure they do not watch some of those shows that are for teens. I also agree though, that one can only do so much. Heck! these kids grow up quickly. My 9 year olds has been asking me when he is going to get his own mobile phone. He said several of the kids in his class have their own mobiles.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by tpiah: 5:24am On Sep 11, 2010
Yes, I know that even Sponge-Bob uses some not so nice words

can you give examples?
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by aieromon(m): 9:07am On Sep 11, 2010
I wonder why parents should blame TV content?
I grew up watching Cartoon Network,Voltron and TMNT - they only shaped my mindset(ability to seperate good and bad),not the way i think.The way your child thinks is a combination of complex factors,including YOU.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by Sissy3(f): 9:52am On Sep 11, 2010
aieromon:

[b]I wonder why parents should blame TV content?
[/b]I grew up watching Cartoon Network,Voltron and TMNT - they only shaped my mindset(ability to seperate good and bad),not the way i think.The way your child thinks is a combination of complex factors,including YOU.

just as you said "The way your child thinks is a combination of complex factors,including YOU." tv/media is/are one of those complex/s. so they do play a role too, therefore parents should care about stuffs on tv their kids watches
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 11, 2010
They need Christian cartoons with sound morals.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by aieromon(m): 10:59am On Sep 11, 2010
~Sissy~:

just as you said "The way your child thinks is a combination of complex factors,including YOU." tv/media is/are one of those complex/s. so they do play a role too, therefore parents should care about stuffs on tv their kids watches

Yea,who paid for cable TV?Ask them how many times a week they talk to their kids about how their day went.Yet,when something goes awry,they blame the media.
Its a classic example of ''Guns don't kill people,people do''.

1 Like

Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by smartmom(f): 11:21am On Oct 27, 2010
aieromon:

Yea,who paid for cable TV?Ask them how many times a week they talk to their kids about how their day went.Yet,when something goes awry,they blame the media.
Its a classic example of ''Guns don't kill people,people do''.

Correct talk here Ajeromon, indeed most parents leave kids to the bluefaced babysitter for too long! and cartoon network is only one of such evils(yes lets call a spade a spade!) when the kids become too engrossed with the characters they live, eat and breath 24/7.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by egoamaka: 1:19pm On Oct 27, 2010
What are we arguing about sef, nobe naija we dey again, how many hours una dey get light for una house wey u wan restrict ur kids from watching cartoon. abey na for d 25mins light everday the child suppose enjoy cartoon u wan restrict again.HABA.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:44pm On Aug 14, 2011
When we were kids, it was

"Get back from school, have lunch, do your homework, run out and play football (even if the ball was the infamously hard toilet float!)

come back in, have your bath, sleep". finis!

Can it ever be like that again?

If you ponder on what kids are in the US, UK and so on (some are already murderers in their teenage years, like Damilola Taylor's killers),
you'll find feeding your kids the same junk those little terrors grew up on a little unsettling.

Let's face it, we adults didn't have access to CN. Did it make our lives boring?

Think about that for a while.
Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by melmbaso: 7:15pm On Aug 14, 2011
I DONT REALLY PUT CARTOON NETWORK ON FOR MY KIDS AS I HATE THE TOYS ADVERT THAT ALWAS COME ON ITS SOO ANNOYING WHEN EVERY ADVERT THAT COMES ON ABOUT A TOY URE KIDS ARE SHOUTING MUMMY I WANT THAT MUMMY I WANT THAT ONE , I ALWAYS PUT ON DISNEY FOR MY KIDS AS THE PROGRAMMES ON THERE ARE AGE APPROPRIATE FOR MY KIDS THEY ARE SOO EDUCATIONAL MY ELDEST DAUGHTER THAT HAS JUST TURNED 3 SHE CAN COUNT TO 20 SHE KNOWS ALL HER COLOURS SHE CAN ANSWER EVERY QUESTION THAT MICKEY MOUSE CLUBHOUSE ASKS AND SHES LEARNT SOO MANY NURSERY RHYMES AND PROBLEM SOLVING HONESTLY ITS GREAT THEY LOVE IT THEIR HAVING FUN WHILE LEARNING TOO AND MOST OF ALL NO ANNOYING TOY ADVERTS !! MY SECOND CHILD HAS JUST TURNED TWO AND SHE ALSO HAS LEARN TO COUNT TO 5 AND CAN SING ALL THE NURSERY SONGS AND SHE ALSO ANSWERS ALL THE PROBLEM SOLVING QUESTIONS AND MUCH MUCH MORE MICKEY MOUSE CLUBHOUSE IS ONE OF THE MANY DISNEY PROGRAMMES I CAN HIGHLY RECCOMEND

1 Like

Re: What Cartoon Network Has Done To Our Kids! by chillbabe(f): 2:59pm On Aug 15, 2011
Kids these days are not different it is the parents that are different. When growing up I watch cartoons from 6pm-7pm. After that it was watching news with my parents and of to bed. I played allot with friends either in our compound or theirs. There was always something to do. Now kids sit in front of the tv the whole day. And the parents are hardly around. Winter or no winter we would always keep our self busy. And that's the same way I raise my own kids. We should go back to community life. That's my two cents on this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SOS: 23 Years Old Lady In Distress. Hear Her Story. / Elderly People's Curse And Blessing: Superstion Or Fact? / A Gay Wants To Commit Suicide. Advice Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.