Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Shortening The Prayer During A Journey - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Shortening The Prayer During A Journey (22372 Views)

Can A Non Muslim Use The Prayer Mat? / The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse / A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by AbuHanifa: 1:37pm On Sep 02, 2010
The Shari'ah has allowed the traveller to shorten his prayer while on journey, and to offer only two rak'ahs of Fard at a prayer time where one has normally to offer four rak'ahs.

The Qur'an says: " When you go on a journey, there is no harm if you shorten Salat." [Qur'an 4:101]

The holy Prophet has said: "This is a favour of Allah to you, so you should accept His favour gratefully." (Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi)

Injunction Concerning Shortening the Prayer

After a person has left his habitation with the intention of proceeding on journey, he should shorten his prayer, otherwise he would be committing a sin. ('Ilm al-Fiqh, Vol. II, p. 130, Durr al-Mukhtar, etc.)

Hadrat Abdullah ibn Umar says: "I have travelled in company with the holy Prophet, Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman, and have never seen them offering more than two rak'ahs of Fard during a journey." (Bukhari, Muslim)

It should be borne in mind that shortening is allowed only in those prayers were one has normally to offer four rak'ahs of Fard namely Zuhr, Asr and Isha prayers. In the Fajr and Maghrib prayers, no shortening is allowed, and one has to offer two and three rak'ahs of Fard respectively.

Injunction about the Sunnat and Nafl Prayer

The Sunnat rak'ahs of the Fajr prayer should not be abandoned and as far as possible, one should also offer the Sunnat rak'ahs of Maghrib. But as for the Sunnat rak'ahs of the other prayers, one has complete option. One should offer only Fard rak'ahs, when one is actually travelling, but when one has halted at a place during the journey one may offer the Sunnat rak'ahs as well (Durr al-Mukhtar). The Witr prayer, however, being Wajib must be offered in full. No shortening is allowed in the Sunnat or Nafl rak'ahs during the journey. If a person chooses to offer them, he has to offer them in full.

Mileage of the Journey
If a person sets out with the intention of visiting a place that is about 36 miles(1) away from his hometown, he will be considered to be on a journey. This distance can be covered in three days by a person who walks a normal gait and who travels from morning until the sun begins to decline. It does not matter whether a person covers this distance on foot in three days or reaches his destination by a faster mode of conveyance in a few hours, he might shorten his prayer during the journey.

When to Shorten the Prayer

After one has set out on journey, one should continue offering the prayer in full as long as one is inside the habitation. But as soon as one has crossed the outer-most limits of the habitation, one may begin shortening the prayer.

The Period of Qasr

The traveller is allowed to continue shortening the prayer until he returns home. However, if during the journey, he makes up his mind to halt at a place for 15 days or more, he will be regarded as being at home and will have to offer the full prayers no matter whether he has to cut short his stay later due to some reason. On the other hand, if he has the intention of staying for less than 15 days at a place, he will shorten his prayers as if on a journey, and will continue doing so even if he has to prolong his stay for months and has to postpone his departure, due to unforeseen circumstances (provided that he intends to stay for less than 15 days each time).

Miscellaneous Regulations Concerning Qasr

1. If a traveller offers four rak'ahs of Fard by mistake, and has observed the first Qa'dah duly after two rak'ahs, he should perform sajdah sahv. In this case, two of the four rak'ahs will be regarded as Fard and the remaining two as Nafl and the prayer will be in order. However, if he has not observed the first Qa'dah, the four rak'ahs will be counted as Nafl, and he will have to offer the prayer afresh.

2. If a person has an itinerary of staying various numbers of days at different places, i.e. five days here and ten days there, but less than 15 days in each case, he will have to shorten his prayers throughout the journey.

3. If a married woman has started living permanently with her husband, her home will be the home of her husband. Now if she undertakes a journey to visit her parents, who live at least 36 miles away, she will have to shorten prayers at the parents' home. However if she has gone to stay with her husband for a few days and she has the intention of living with her parents most of the time, her home will be the home of her parents.

4. If a woman is travelling with her husband, or a servant with his master, or a boy with his father, or a ward with his guardian, their intention will not be reliable. Even if the woman, or the servant, or the boy makes up his or her mind to stay at a place for more than 15 days, he or she will not be regarded as resident unless it is also the intention of the husband or the master himself.

5. The residence of the place can offer their prayer behind an Imam who is travelling. Such an Imam, however, has to announce after salutation at the completion of two Rak'ahs that he is a traveller so the resident followers may complete their prayer independently.

6. A traveller can offer his prayer behind a resident Imam, though in this case he has to observe the full prayer in obedience to the Imam and is not allowed to shorten it.

7. If a person has not yet made up his mind about the duration of his stay, or has the intention of staying for less than 15 days at a place, but then during the prayer he changes his mind to extend his stay to 15 days or more, he will have to offer the full prayer and will no longer be allowed shorten it.

8. The prayers missed during a journey will have to be shortened when offered later at home, and the prayers missed while at home will have to be offered in full when offered during a journey.

Combining Two Prayers during a Journey

Combining two prayers during the Hajj and offering them together is in accordance with the Sunnah of the holy Prophet. The Zuhr and Asr prayers are combined on the 9th Zul-Hijjah at the plain of 'Arafah, and offered at the Zuhr time with one Azan but two separate Iqamahs.
(2)After sunset the pilgrims leave for Muzdalifah and combine the Maghrib and Isha prayers there. If a person offers his Maghrib prayer on the way to Muzdalifah, his prayer will not be valid and he will have to offer it afresh.

Combining two prayers together except during Hajj is not permissible, though one may combine them apparently by offering one prayer just after the other. One may, for instance, delay a prayer up to its last time limit and offer the other at the beginning of its time limit. In this way, the prayers would apparently seem to have been combined, but actually they are not combined but offered within their own prescribed time limits.(3)

We gratefully acknowledge and thank Islamic
Publications Ltd. for permission to print this
excerpt (Ch. 26) from Everyday Fiqh (vol. 1)
by Abdul Aziz Kamal

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by elega(f): 5:42am On Sep 09, 2010
@ poster: may Allah reward u for this infomation. The issue of Qasr has bn bugging my mind since 2006 when i first heard of it and now u've explain it to the fullest. Thank u

5 Likes

Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by bdauran: 8:27pm On Jul 13, 2016
Thanks a lot. May Allah reward you

2 Likes

Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by rotimage(m): 1:57pm On Jul 15, 2016
Jazakallahu Khairan Jaza'u

1 Like

Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by omokoladele(m): 1:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
Enlightening. thanks

1 Like

Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by banni2000: 2:03pm On Jul 15, 2016
thank u.
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by resultcase(m): 2:14pm On Jul 15, 2016
Jazakullah Khair

1 Like

Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by yjgm(m): 2:23pm On Jul 15, 2016
Allahu akbar!. It is a resourceful piece. May Allah reward you abundantly and aljannatul fir'daus be our final abode. Jazakallahu khairan.

1 Like

Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by folabode(f): 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2016
Thank you very much
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by sofat(m): 3:36pm On Jul 15, 2016
Pls malam what is the ruling concerning a person who intends to start a jourey very early in the morning before the time of fajir, should he observe the fajir even when it's not yet time for it before embarking on the journey or observe it in transit (possibly when the solat time may have started). That is, while sitting in the means of transportation. jazakallahukhairan.
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by yusuftaiwo2015(m): 3:53pm On Jul 15, 2016
Asalamualaykum,please i need evidence about 15days being the maximum.Because ibn Abass (r.t.a) travelled and prayed Qasr for 21days.Jazzakallahu kyrain.
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by Seedorf009(m): 4:09pm On Jul 15, 2016
nice post. may Allah increase ur knowledge and bless the source of the information.
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by amodu(m): 4:46pm On Jul 15, 2016
Jazakumullahu Khairan for this beautiful piece.
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by Ringtail: 4:53pm On Jul 15, 2016
thanks very plenty and may Allah reward u
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by gloryman91: 4:58pm On Jul 15, 2016
Observing solatu Qashri is real encouraged by holy prophet(SAW).
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by Realist5: 5:31pm On Jul 15, 2016
May Allah reward you for this knowledge you have shared.
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by sulaiboy20(m): 7:22pm On Jul 15, 2016
jazaqullahi kahiran... this happen when I travelled years back .. I was surprised to see the shorten prayer .. now I understood better.. may almighty Allah increase your knowledge. amin
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by nastyesco(m): 8:12pm On Jul 15, 2016
Very informative....Jazakallah Khair...may Allah reward the op and readers abundantly
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by Arjeeni: 9:40pm On Jul 15, 2016
sofat:
Pls malam what is the ruling concerning a person who intends to start a jourey very early in the morning before the time of fajir, should he observe the fajir even when it's not yet time for it before embarking on the journey or observe it in transit (possibly when the solat time may have started). That is, while sitting in the means of transportation. jazakallahukhairan.

Brother No solat is valid except it observed in its time or another time that prayer is permissible.
This is in accordance with the quranic verse in suratul Nnisai....... إن الصلاة كانت على المؤمنين كتابا مؤقتا...
We should always remember that, no excuse to adjust prayer time to suit our needs because the only thing that distinguished and affirmed our faith in Islam to those of Kafir is Solat, if is good by observing it at right time all others of our deeds will be good and vice versa.
In one of the tradition, the Prophet (saw) said; the best among mankind are those who are conscious of the the climate to observe solat accordingly.
So my brother. Allah said in suratul Zzariyat..... وماخلقةالجن والإنس إلا ليعبدون
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by Mushy2015: 10:30pm On Jul 15, 2016
Opinion of scholars varied on when to start Qsr and number of days to maintain it. Imam annafi starts his Qsr the moment he steps out for the journey, while imam malic wait until he covered about 70km and some do Qsr till they returned while some stop after some days. You can choose either, Allahu ya'allam
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by Kbraims(m): 10:38pm On Jul 15, 2016
shukran!!!
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by adejaresalami1(m): 7:49am On Jul 16, 2016
Your evidence to back p the 15 days limitation
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by BlueScholar(m): 10:22am On Jul 16, 2016
Jazakallah khair for this well detailed post. I actually google this same topic last month, trying to fully understand it; this post makes it even more clearer for me. Thanks!
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by nolaguy(m): 8:35am On Mar 19, 2017
Asalamualaikum. I want to ask this question concerning shortening of prayers. I left Lagos for Adamawa for the voluntary NYSC scheme few weeks ago. now the question is: can i shorten my prayers till i return back home for the whole year? or i have to say my prayers in full?
thank u.
Re: Shortening The Prayer During A Journey by shawl: 2:38pm On Mar 19, 2017
nolaguy:
Asalamualaikum. I want to ask this question concerning shortening of prayers. I left Lagos for Adamawa for the voluntary NYSC scheme few weeks ago. now the question is: can i shorten my prayers till i return back home for the whole year? or i have to say my prayers in full?
thank u.

Your question is pretty covered by the article.

The short answer to the bolded is No.

Reason: You are planning to stay beyond 15 days.

(1) (Reply)

Can A Muslim Have a Wedding During Ramadan? / 400 People Convert To Islam In Niger State (Photo) / 'Allahu' Inscription Appears On The Ground In Idumota.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.