Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,856 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria (3346 Views)

The Highest And Most Polished Culture On Earth Is Yoruba Culture - Reno Omokri / Olu Of Warri Receives T'suut'ina Highest Honor In Canada / States With The Highest Consumption Of Alcohol/beer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 1:29pm On Mar 14, 2019
many NigerIan men be dis fear of marrying igbo women for high bride price, for a long time I tot the same way until few years back I learnt some other tribes also ve high brideprice too including my own oron, Ibibio, kalabari, ijaw, efik, e. t. c

then recently I saw the marriage list of urhobo/isoko and one of igbo, n it seems like the urhobo own is even more expensive

2 Likes

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 1:50pm On Mar 14, 2019
that's the igbo list, now see the urhobo list only the first page of it

2 Likes

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 1:50pm On Mar 14, 2019
Lol its some1 who hasn't travelled out to other places will say igbo is the most expensive,
There are some parts of calabar, akwaibom and edo,(talking from experience).
Who even have higher list.

But I don't even bother about those things,. I don't see anything bad in them.
It's culture you have to respect it.
It's not easy for a some to leave his own family to come stay with urs forever.

Everything spent to get a good woman under ur roof as a wife is well worth it.
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by Olachase(m): 2:04pm On Mar 14, 2019
one cooler of fufu with any soup
hope no be say the girl mama won go open shop

1 Like

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 11:31pm On Mar 14, 2019
chiipink:
Lol its some1 who hasn't travelled out to other places will say igbo is the most expensive,
There are some parts of calabar, akwaibom and edo,(talking from experience).
Who even have higher list.

But I don't even bother about those things,. I don't see anything bad in them.
It's culture who have to respect it.
It's not easy for a some to leave his own family to come stay with urs forever.

Everything spent to get a good woman to under ur roof as a wife is well worth it

I guess the idea comes from Nigeria mentality that all non-yoruba southerners are igbo

1 Like

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 11:33pm On Mar 14, 2019
viscerion:

I guess the idea comes from Nigeria mentality that all non-yoruba southerners are igbo

You are right, IGBOS taking every bullets and insults on their behalf Even in politics
But it's well,.. It only shows a great tribe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 7:43am On Mar 15, 2019
chiipink:

You are right, IGBOS taking every bullets and insults on their behalf Even in politics
But it's well,.. It only shows a great tribe.

ndo grin ure right igbo takes the bullet and insults on their behalf, but they also take the praises nah
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by fero007: 7:53am On Mar 15, 2019
Even me that is urhobo I tot igbo list was more expensive o, from the pics it seems Igbos ve many items on the list but not necessarily expensive items, for the urhobo list i can tell you few of the missing things der, cigar for the youths, more drygin, starch, dryfish, banga spices, canoe(monetized), e. t. c

2 Likes

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 3:00pm On Mar 15, 2019
viscerion:

ndo grin ure right igbo takes the bullet and insults on their behalf, but they also take the praises nah

Lol how do they take their praises,
IGBOS has never for once taken their praises.

Pls give me one example biko

1 Like

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by RedboneSmith(m): 5:12pm On Mar 15, 2019
viscerion:

Also take the praises? Err.. not true.

People are always quick to point out that this or that high-achiever is not Igbo o, but a south-southerner. They are not that quick to point out that this or that crook is also not Igbo but a south-southerner.

2 Likes

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 12:30pm On Mar 16, 2019
chiipink:

Lol how do they take their praises,
IGBOS has never for once taken their praises.

Pls give me one example biko

I get ur point I've heard pepo say Igbos r militants, witches, eat human beings, n we know those r niger deltan, edo, calabar stereotypes(NO OFFENSE TO THOSE TRIBES O), but Igbos unjustly take the blame

but they also take the praises too, I ve many examples, for example, we know my akwa Ibom can cook very well grin

but u'll hear pepo saying "I love igbo food my best is afang soup" I'll b lyk WTF, den anoda time me n my frnds were watching an ijaw dance n acrobatic display, n my frnds were like "igbo culture is beautiful"

IM NOT TRYING TO SAY IGBO DONT HAVE BEAUTIFUL CULTURE OR GOOD FOOD O

I'm just giving examples u asked for
normally
calabar pepo ve great food
warri pepo r sharp n funny
niger delta r blessed with oil which holds d economy

but to most nigerians its;
igbo pepo ve great food
igbo pepo r sharp n funny
igbo pepo r blessed with oil that holds our economy
not saying Igbos are the above good qualities but hope u get the point I'm trying to make

1 Like

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 12:35pm On Mar 16, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Also take the praises? Err.. not true.

People are always quick to point out that this or that high-achiever is not Igbo o, but a south-southerner. They are not that quick to point out that this or that crook is also not Igbo but a south-southerner.

It's only the Southerners who know the diff that make such statements, northerners n westerners will always see the likes of Jay Jay okocha, pat utomi, okonjo-iweala, duncan mighty, tonto dikeh, etc as igbos they even see the likes of don jazzy(isoko), bovi ugboma(isoko) vincent enyeama(ibibio), agbani darego(ijaw) etc as Igbo pepo
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2019
viscerion:

I get ur point I've heard pepo say Igbos r militants, witches, eat human beings, n we know those r niger deltan, edo, calabar stereotypes(NO OFFENSE TO THOSE TRIBES O), but Igbos unjustly take the blame
but they also take the praises too, I ve many examples, for example, we know my akwa Ibom can cook very well grin
but u'll hear pepo saying "I love igbo food my best is afang soup" I'll b lyk WTF,
Igbo ladies can cook very well to u can't say they are taking other peoples glory.
Most of the popular saying soups people know belong to IGBOS, ..(oha, okazi, ugu, bitter leaf)
There are all popular igbo soups and igbo ladies know how to cook them...
Afang is popular too and it belongs to AKWA ibom, I have Neva seen anybody call Afang soup "igbo soup".. Unless that person is unexposed. Even the name don't sound igbo anyway.. Most NIGEIRAns know Afang soup belong to AKWA IBOm,...

viscerion:

den anoda time me n my frnds were watching an ijaw dance n acrobatic display, n my frnds were like "igbo culture is beautiful"
IM NOT TRYING TO SAY IGBO DONT HAVE BEAUTIFUL CULTURE OR GOOD FOOD O,
Igbo dances are quite different from ijaws dance, the acrobatics dance I know belong to IGBOS(anambra and abia)
Where people will be dancing and jumping untop one another until they are tall like a tree.. I think its call ATILOGWU... How ever ijaws may have their own acrobatic dance too.

But what we are talking about here is generalization, popular to all Nigerians(not individual experience)
Rather U are giving ur personal experience, which only u have experienced, it's different from what we are talking about his here.
Where everybody in nigera see IGBO bride as the most expensive, which is not totally true.

viscerion:

I'm just giving examples u asked for
normally
calabar pepo ve great food
warri pepo r sharp n funny
niger delta r blessed with oil which holds d economy.
but to most nigerians its;
igbo pepo ve great food
igbo pepo r sharp n funny
igbo pepo r blessed with oil that holds our economy
not saying Igbos are the above good qualities but hope u get the point I'm trying to make

U are becoming very mischievous here I don't think u are even from AKWA ibom u claim to come from(u might be a Yoruba) angry.
Because u just told lies right now.
If u say that NIGEIRAns credit oil to IGBOS then u are a liar sad angry
We read it online everyday how yorubas and other SS tell IGBOS that , the oil belong to them and how igbos want south south because of their oil.
It's now shocking to me how u turn around to say Nigerians credit the oil to IGBOS.. Oga pls fear GOD angry

Even though IGBOS have oil in part of IMO state called ohaji(u can google it)
I have never seen other nigeria calling Nigeria oil "igbo oil".. What they always say is Niger delta oil.

Pls u are a liar angry
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 2:57pm On Mar 16, 2019
chiipink:

Igbo ladies can cook very well to u can't say they are taking other peoples glory.
Most of the popular saying soups people know belong to IGBOS, ..(oha, okazi, ugu, bitter leaf)
Afang is popular too and it belongs to AKWA ibom, I have Neva seen anybody call Afang soup "igbo soup".. Unless that person is unexposed. Even the name don't sound igbo anyway.. Most NIGEIRAns know Afang soup belong to AKWA IBOm,...

Igbo dances are quite different from ijaws dance, the acrobatics dance I know belong to IGBOS(anambra and abia)
Where people will be dancing and jumping untop one another until they are tall like a tree.. I think its call ATILOGWU... How ever ijaws may have their own acrobatic dance too.

But what we are talking about here is generalization, popular to all Nigerians(not individual experience)
Rather U are giving ur personal experience, which only u have experienced, it's different from what we are talking about his here.
Where everybody in nigera see IGBO bride as the most expensive, which is not totally true.

U are becoming very mischievous here I don't think u are even from AKWA ibom u claim to come from(u might be a Yoruba) angry.
We read it online everyday how yorubas and other SS tell IGBOS that , the oil belong to them and how igbos want south south because of their oil.
It's now shocking to me how u turn around to say Nigerians credit the oil to IGBOS.. Oga pls fear GOD angry

I have never seen other nigeria calling Nigeria oil "igbo oil".. What they always say is Niger delta oil.

Pls u are a liar angry

1.) AGAIN! I'm not saying igbo pepo don't ve good food, I'm saying with their good food people still credit other tribes food to them, if u doubt me then visit the western part of nigeria(save Lagos) or the core northern parts where they dont even know other tribes exist outside hausa, yoruba n igbo. I stay in Ibadan so I know that as a fact they recognize only 3 tribes and to them afang, edikaikong, banga rice all igbo soups

2.) For the dance, I'm not saying igbo don't ve awesome dance, I'm saying that even when pepo(the westerners n northerners) see a beautiful ijaw dance group, they mistake for an igbo dance group cuz to them they can't the difference, the credit goes to the igbos

3.)I NEVER SAID IGBOS DONT VE OIL, yorubas ve oil too, even igala, u ve to understand not everyone in nigeria is an online person, to the average ibadan man the SS r Igbos, so wen he hears SS are major oil producers, he thinks Igbos r d major oil producers, I DONT KNOW IF URE GETTING MY POINT, d pepo who argue online r the enlightened ones

Pls I didn't start this thread to cuz fight, if I've mistakenly said anything mischevious, sorry! I'm writing what I've observed, I love Igbo, Yoruba, the entire human race equally

2 Likes

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 3:43pm On Mar 16, 2019
viscerion:

1.) AGAIN! I'm not saying igbo pepo don't ve good food, I'm saying with their good food people still credit other tribes food to them, if u doubt me then visit the western part of nigeria(save Lagos) or the core northern parts where they dont even know other tribes exist outside hausa, yoruba n igbo. I stay in Ibadan so I know that as a fact they recognize only 3 tribes and to them afang, edikaikong, banga rice all igbo soups

2.) For the dance, I'm not saying igbo don't ve awesome dance, I'm saying that even when pepo(the westerners n northerners) see a beautiful ijaw dance group, they mistake for an igbo dance group cuz to them they can't the difference, the credit goes to the igbos

3.)I NEVER SAID IGBOS DONT VE OIL, yorubas ve oil too, even igala, u ve to understand not everyone in nigeria is an online person, to the average ibadan man the SS r Igbos, so wen he hears SS are major oil producers, he thinks Igbos r d major oil producers, I DONT KNOW IF URE GETTING MY POINT, d pepo who argue online r the enlightened ones

Pls I didn't start this thread to cuz fight, if I've mistakenly said anything mischevious, sorry! I'm writing what I've observed, I love Igbo, Yoruba, the entire human race equally

Well,
U saying that they call Niger delta oil "igbo oil" is where you told the biggest lie.
Nobody in Nigeria.. Has ever called the oil in Nigeria "igbo oil" instead IGBOS are always told how they don't own the oil in Niger delta.
Ever TOM DICK and HARRY always say that.
Uncle tell urself the truth. angry

U don't judge Niger's based on uneducated people, u can only just nigeria based on educated ones.
An every Nigeria knows dat Afang soup is AKWA ibom soup.
An average Nigerian always say "Niger delta oil" not "igbo oil"..
An average Nigeria always say IGBOS have the most expensive bride price.

Search ur conscience and tell ur self the truth if I lied on this things I just said.
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by fero007: 3:49pm On Mar 16, 2019
chiipink:

Pls u are a liar angry

The thing is for you to understand the point he's trying to make, you've to understand that only easterners, southerners and those from the middle belt axis understand that nigeria has minority tribes, to majority of yorubas and hausas(no offense to them o) they believe the minority tribes in the middle belt are sub tribes of hausa and the ones in south south are subtribes of igbo, so they will see any good or bad calabar thing as an igbo thing
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 3:52pm On Mar 16, 2019
fero007:

The thing is for you to understand the point he's trying to make, you've to understand that only easterners, southerners and those from the middle belt axis understand that nigeria has minority tribes, to majority of yorubas and hausas(no offense to them o) they believe the minority tribes in the middle belt are sub tribes of hausa and the ones in south south are subtribes of igbo, so they will any good or bad calabar thing as an igbo thing

U have to read my point to understand me too.
Only uneducated person will say Valerie is igbo.
U don't judge Nigeria mindset with the opinion of an aboki walking in the street. We are more than that sir.
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by fero007: 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2019
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by fero007: 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2019
chiipink:

U don't judge Nigeria mindset with the opinion of an aboki walking in the street. We are more than that sir.

Lol, it's not just abokis on the street o, I schooled in futa akure n many of students n lecturers tot I was igbo, they even argued with me when I corrected them that any non Yoruba southern tribe is Igbo

u cant say dey r uneducated bcuz of they don't know of different cultures, even many igbo people mistook me either for an edo or ijaw boy, doesn't mean they are not educated, we southerners mistake the gwaris n goemais as hausa all the time, does it mean we are abokis on the street

where exactly do you stay? maybe u haven't been to the west that maybe why ure not undastanding

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 4:17pm On Mar 17, 2019
chiipink:

chiipink, im guessing you live in the southeast or southsouth, am I right?
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 5:24pm On Mar 17, 2019
viscerion:

chiipink, im guessing you live in the southeast or southsouth, am I right?

Why asking?
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 7:17pm On Mar 17, 2019
chiipink:

Why asking?

if u lived in the southwest or core north you'll know understand what am saying, it's not just the opinion of street people or uneducated or unexposed people, it's the normal belief of like 85% of them here in the southwest
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 9:09pm On Mar 17, 2019
viscerion:

if u lived in the southwest or core north you'll know understand what am saying, it's not just the opinion of street people or uneducated or unexposed people, it's the normal belief of like 85% of them here in the southwest

I live in southwest.
Even on nairaland here we read the comments of Yorubas..
I have never seen anyone say "igbo oil" .
Pls tell urself the truth. angry
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 10:58pm On Mar 17, 2019
chiipink:

I live in southwest.

we're talking of real life not nairaland, the westerners see the niger deltans as igbos, so when ure saying 'niger delta oil' their mind is going to igbo

Well maybe uve not met anyone saying dis, but if i remember when I said Igbos take the bullet for SS traits cuz nigerians see SS as igbo u were quick to agree with me
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 11:01pm On Mar 17, 2019
viscerion:

we're talking of real life not nairaland, the westerners see the niger deltans as igbos, so when ure saying 'niger delta oil' their mind is going to igbo

Well maybe uve not met anyone saying dis, but if i remember when I said Igbos take the bullet for SS traits cuz nigerians see SS as igbo u were quick to agree with me

That's a lie, IGBOS are always told they don't own oil in Niger delta.
And how they want Niger delta because of oil.
Stop judging Nigerians with the mindset of a street aboki, it's an insult.

I have Neva seen anyone say "igbo oil" except u are talking about almajiris.

Yes IGBOS take busts for SS..
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by fero007: 11:09pm On Mar 17, 2019
chiipink:

I live in southwest.

are you saying you don't agree that most yorubas(both educated n non) see south southerners as igbo?
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 11:10pm On Mar 17, 2019
viscerion:

IGBOS take bullets for SS..
Check the last concluded election.
IGBOS are the ones being insulted by Hausa and Yoruba despite that SS is also PDP.
Thy where they ones harassed in SW and told to go back to east.

Even because of Jonathan IGBOS are the one insulted and IGBOS are the ones defending him most.

Go to front page and check the post about Jonathan and u will see most of the comments defending him are IGBOS.

I'm not bothered THO about it because IGBOS are programmed to support Wat is right and just.. The only problem is you as people don't appreciate all the effort and support of IGBOS.

Instead you join others to troll them.

Good night I'm. Done here
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by chiipink(f): 11:15pm On Mar 17, 2019
fero007:

are you saying you don't agree that most yorubas(both educated n non) see south southerners as igbo?

When they do something bad yorubas call them. Igbo just to insult IGBOS, but when it's something good they will say IGBOS are trying to grab them..

Just the they call nzeogwu(from delta) coup "igbo coup" and killed IGBOS for it..
But when IGBOS includ delta in biafra , the same people will say "delta are not igbos"

Don't pretend like u don't know all these things..
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by viscerion: 11:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
chiipink:

IGBOS take bullets for SS..
Check the last concluded election.
IGBOS are the ones being insulted by Hausa and Yoruba despite that SS is also PDP.
Thy where they ones harassed in SW and told to go back to east.

Even because of Jonathan IGBOS are the one insulted and IGBOS are the ones defending him most.

Go to front page and check the post about Jonathan and u will see most of the comments defending him are IGBOS.

I'm not bothered THO about it because IGBOS are programmed to support Wat is right and just.. The only problem is you as people don't appreciate all the effort and support of IGBOS.

Instead you join others to troll them.

Good night I'm. Done here

goodnight dear, from ur post you can see it's clear we're saying the same thing so why we dey argue?
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by fero007: 11:34pm On Mar 17, 2019
chiipink:

When they do something bad yorubas call them. Igbo just to insult IGBOS, but when it's something good they will say IGBOS are trying to grab them..

Just the they call nzeogwu(from delta) coup "igbo coup" and killed IGBOS for it..
But when IGBOS includ delta in biafra , the same people will say "delta are not igbos"

to be honest, all I noticed is that they call all us southerners Igbos, whether for praise or insulting reasons

only few really informed ones(who probably have SS friends that have corrected them repeatedly) know the difference
Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by magicjack: 3:57pm On Mar 18, 2019
chiipink:

why will they call SS Igbos wen dey do bad n den deny dey r igbos wen dey do something good? undecided no offense ma'am but I think you're just trying to play the victim card, n i doubt you truly live in the southwest, I live in ph but the few times Ive visited lagos I noticed that even after correcting them 1000 times that I'm ijaw 4rm niger delta, they will see me the next day and call me "omo igbo", wen my aunt prepared odu fulo for them they we're like "omo igbo una sabi cook iyo"

u can't say they are uneducated street people for making that mistake cuz if you do it means you also are an uneducated street person cuz I bet you yourself don't know the difference between hausa and the berom tribe of plateau state or the chamba of adamawa

1 Like

Re: It Seems Igbos May Not Have The Highest Brideprice In Nigeria by magicjack: 4:10pm On Mar 18, 2019
fero007:

to be honest, all I noticed is that they call all us southerners Igbos, whether for praise or insulting reasons

only few really informed ones(who probably have SS friends that have corrected them repeatedly) know the difference

to be fair, u can't say is a hausa and yoruba thing only

Just as hausa and yoruba see SS as igbo, also-

Igbos see SSners as either edo, ijaw or calabar, all other groups being under dis 3

we SSners along with yoruba n igbo see all northern minorities as hausa

most nigerians can't differentiate efik, Ibibio, oron, ogoja, e. t. c so they give dem one name "calabar people"

most nigerians can't differentiate bini, esan, afemai in edo state

most nigerians see all bayelsans as ijaw people unaware there are other non ijaw tribes in bayelsa

most nigerians can't differentiate urhobo, isoko, izon, itsekiri, dey call all of them "warri people" some even call them edo people

most nigerians ve no idea which tribes are here in port harcourt

So you see the mistake is relative depending on where uve stayed, I doubt ders anyone who hasn't made one or more of these mistakes b4

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

ICYMI: Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe / Biography OF Pericoma Okoye / EXPLOSIVE: Lagos Is Not Yoruba Land, Says Oba Of Lagos, Oba Akiolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.