Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,936 members, 7,810,603 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change (18925 Views)

4 Major Signs That Your Car Needs A Tune Up / 6 Indications Your Car Needs An Engine Rebuilt / These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by Godspower35(m): 3:18am On Mar 16, 2019
Engine represents the blood of every car. The engine needs oil to move the moving parts and ensure smooth operation. In fact, all kinds of engines need oil to work. It doesn't matter if you use a motorcycle, a generator or even a lawn mower. If the engine is equipped, it must be lubricated with oil.

Below are the top 10 characters for your vehicle's oil change

Dark or dirty oil

If you have never seen pure, new engine oil, it has a bright yellow color. However, if the oil gets older and dirty due to the accumulation of residual particles in the engine, it becomes darker, almost black.

You should do the habit of regularly checking the
condition of the oil. Remove the dipstick and see the oil color. Or wipe the tip of the dipstick with a paper towel for a more accurate result. If the oil is dark brown or black, you must replace the oil.

Tapping Noises

Engine oil is aging and it will take some time. That's why car manufacturers recommend that you change every 5,000 miles or so. If your car has an old oil, it will probably become heavier.

This makes oil lubrication in engine parts more difficult. As a result, the engine produces a variety of metallic sounds because they do not lubricate properly.

Burnt Oil Smell

When the cabin interior of your vehicle begins to smell of burnt oil, you know that you have problems with oil. This usually means that the oil will leak somewhere and the oil will fall into the hot parts of the engine.

This also means that there is probably too little oil in the engine and the engine overheats. Take care of oil spill immediately and pour in fresh oil.

Smoke from the Exhaust

If you live in a cold environment, you are used to seeing steam in the vehicle's exhaust gases. However, if you see blue or gray smoke from your exhaust, you probably have an oil leak.

This is accompanied by a burnt oil smell and the smoke resulting from the lack of oil in the engine to lubricate its parts due to leakage. Remove oil spill and replace oil.

Car Stopping

If you drive and the vehicle stops, you may have a small problem or a bigger problem. A little problem would be if you have a clogged fuel filter or bad spark plugs. Something can be replaced with simple tuning. A bigger problem would be a bad fuel pump or a clogged catalyst that needs to be replaced.

Poor Fuel Consumption

If you find that gas mileage is not what it used to be, it may mean that you are late for oil change. When the engine oil expires, it gradually becomes smooth and eventually becomes almost muddy if it is not changed. Thick oil gives more resistance to moving parts of the engine, making it harder and consuming more fuel.

Poor gas consumption can also be due to other reasons. However, if the oil is dark and much thicker than the new oil, a simple oil change will help.

Overheating

If there is not enough oil in the engine or if the oil has not been changed for a while, the engine components cannot be beaten. This causes the engine to continue heating and eventually overheat. Changing oil with fresh oil often corrects the problem.

Difficulty starting the engine

If you find it difficult to start the engine, you may need to check the battery connections for corrosion and clean them with a steel brush. If the battery is at least several years old, it may be time to replace the battery.

You may find that the engine hesitates before it starts when the dashboard lights get weak. Of course, you need optimization to clean the battery connectors and connectors, or even replace them with a new one.

Warning lights

Vehicles and vehicle sensors nowadays make it easier to detect the problem before it gets worse. If the indicator light on the dashboard, check the owner's manual for what this lamp means. Warning lights alert you to all kinds of problems, such as: Low battery, burned back light, transmission failure, etc.

Some of the newer vehicles even track the status of the oil (via sensors or set time slots) and tell when it's time to change it. In some cases, the indicator light turns on. That's why you need to use an OBD2 scanner to make the mechanic diagnose or check the problem.

Reluctant postponement

If you are using an automatic vehicle, you should not have problems if your car is changing gear. However, delaying or slowing down the transfer may mean that you need new gear fluid or filters. Of course, it can also mean a worse problem. If you take the car for refurbishment, this will at least identify the problem.

POINTS TO NOTE:

It is always important to constantly monitor the oil in the engine, because its plays a vital role in terms of keeping the vehicle in a smooth motion.
[img]https://4.bp..com/-scNMKRLtoy0/XIxMnqbF7gI/AAAAAAAACKU/L42kBVw5BjAbJkU5_wpwetmhaWyI6MjTgCLcBGAs/s320/Engine%2Boil%2Bchange.jpeg[/img]
Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/03/10-symptoms-that-your-car-needs-oil.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by Dottore: 3:34am On Mar 16, 2019
Ok
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by ipobarethieves: 4:31am On Mar 16, 2019
sad theywont comment hereThey prefer looking for trouble/trade insult,.Nice one

6 Likes

Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by otiwisdom: 1:04pm On Mar 16, 2019
It is only in Nigeria that a man's car will be showing all this symptoms but yet they we manage it till the very end and they will tell you it is direct benjour "uh nam meh this car is direct benjour oh" grin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by bonnyhope: 1:04pm On Mar 16, 2019
[Educative
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 16, 2019
OK. GOOD
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by dadebayo1(m): 1:06pm On Mar 16, 2019
Nice... Thanks
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by ghanaman5050: 1:06pm On Mar 16, 2019
I need to change my oil today .
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by Kalamu2018(f): 1:08pm On Mar 16, 2019
Beautiful.
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by PRINCEVICKEY: 1:11pm On Mar 16, 2019
ACURA MDX 2003 MODEL FOR SELL ....SHARP SHARP
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by Arinzeshop: 1:14pm On Mar 16, 2019
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by 3kay945(m): 1:20pm On Mar 16, 2019
Changing oil at as when due is what I don't joke with.

Thanks for additional info though.
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by bisi123: 1:22pm On Mar 16, 2019
thanks
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by Gandollar(f): 1:23pm On Mar 16, 2019
ipobarethieves:
sad theywont comment hereThey prefer looking for trouble/trade insult,.Nice one
Yes even when your stupid moniker represents insult to a particular section of Nigeria. So you are tired of the insults you helped institutionalize on NL? Then start repenting by changing your moniker. embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 2:11pm On Mar 16, 2019
K.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 2:14pm On Mar 16, 2019
K.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by godwinkessi: 2:44pm On Mar 16, 2019
I heard oil should be changed after 3,000 miles
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by kopdiwalar: 3:21pm On Mar 16, 2019
ghanaman5050:
I need to change my oil today .
Visit Automedics Abuja as they are very good
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by gonkin(m): 3:44pm On Mar 16, 2019
If u are using a Honda its best to change every 2000 miles, that is if u made use of genuine oil. If na dagbo oil change every 1500. Cuz i followed 2500mile. Another important thing never let ur vehicle over heat cuz that is 1 factor that kills rings and leads to smoking.

For now im using a 1992 landcruiser fj80 and i change the oil every 1200/1000 miles depending on usage. Also the tyres are bigger so the odometer isn't calibrated to give the right distance. When I'm going 40kmh it's 46 in reality. Travelling from lagos to delta took just 327, but Google map tells me it's 393km.

Warri to sapele is 55km but my odo is less than 42km covered. So yes tyre size matters.

Also better safe than sorry. A smokey vehicle can be so embarrassing and cost of repairs are more. It costs less to do an oil change. Especially if u do it yourself. DIY.

I have done so much maintenance on the truck. Check oil level every 4 to 7 days and check for leaks. Once in a while Turn on the vehicle in the morning especially quiet ones with the hood open and listen. If theres any weird tapping or grinding sound that doesn't seem right. Probably oil has become lighter or could be adulterated. My vehicle has this oil pressure meter and n idle if it falls below a certain level, i change. Sometimes at 1000 miles, 1600km. Quality matters. Stuff like it's not up 3000miles so I won't change it even when the oil is black and very light, u wan kill ur engine be dat.
U can get a piece of paper or white handkerchief the sample the oil from ur dipstick on it. If its really black u can see it there. Also u can put a lil on a smooth clean metal surface like 2 drops. Rub your fingers on that metal surface for 8 to 10 seconds if u experience friction then ur oil may be due for change. I recommend this test every 2 to 3 weeks or every 500km covered. Note oil is the only thing preventing metal to metal contact in engines.

If possible get a service booklet and note the maintenance intervals. Modern cars have auto reminders but the one i use doesn't even have an obd2 port. Wish it did. So good luck. Especially honda users. Never joke with oil change and engine temperature. I made use of a 1997 odyssey 4cyl, 20mpg tuned it up to do 0-60 in 8.2 secs but the mpg dropped to 19 due to more air. But after 2 overheating, it smoked like a retro train. U don't see me pass by but the smoke trails last almost 1 minute. It got worse at higher temperature. And the vehicle consumed more oil than fuel imagine that.
Its why i say honda. Honda has a good engine but requires more attention than Toyota.
Also the kind of oil u purchase matters. Some popular brands may have been altered. This is Naija. Sometimes i sample oil quality by putting a lil quantity in the freezer. To check its viscous nature or mix a 2 tablespoons of oil with 1 table spoon of sand. The lighter oil is aborbed the thicker oil remains like honey for a while. Well i don talk reach. Im no oil expert, just want the best for my truck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by banio: 3:46pm On Mar 16, 2019
Engine oil is the life of an engine. Don't change it as directed by your manufacturer and face the down time.

grin
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by ghanaman5050: 4:56pm On Mar 16, 2019
kopdiwalar:

Visit Automedics Abuja as they are very good
Not that oil.
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by pacespot(m): 6:14pm On Mar 16, 2019
cool, nice tips
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by PanickMode(m): 9:18pm On Mar 16, 2019
Nice post
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by Boo3nity(m): 9:22pm On Mar 16, 2019
PRINCEVICKEY:
ACURA MDX 2003 MODEL FOR SELL ....SHARP SHARP

Let's close this deal.
08034043659 (whatsapp only).
Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by gonkin(m): 3:26am On Mar 17, 2019
Oil pressure level

Re: 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change by radautoworks: 2:29pm On Mar 17, 2019
If you're showing these symptoms, you are WAY past the point of an oil change.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Inscriptions Found On Nigerian Vehicles / Kebbi Automobile Designer Uses Locally Sourced Materials To Showcase His Talent / Most Common Reasons For Engine Oil Leakage In Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.