Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair (14760 Views)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change / My Experience "Ringing" An Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Automotive1(m): 11:49pm On Nov 11, 2017
[img]http:///a/img922/995/VbQMYQ.jpg[/img]

The engine is the heart of your vehicle, giving your car the necessary power it needs to operate correctly. When the engine is damaged, it will significantly affect your car’s performance. Fortunately, you can save yourself time and money by quickly diagnosing engine problems before they cause more harm to your vehicle. 

Below are the 6 signs your car needs an engine repair

1)The check engine light turns on
Dashboard warning lights are your car’s way of alerting you about problems it detects via its On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) system.
While the check engine light can be triggered by many different issues, many of them are directly related to engine performance,and ignoring the light will only lead to greater problems.

2)Your car is making strange noises
A knocking noise coming from your bonnet is a sign of a dying engine. This noise could be caused by wear or damage to your engine’s mechanical parts such as pistons, bearings or other moving parts. Other noises you should look out for include popping, spitting and backfiring from your exhaust.

3)You experience a loss of engine power
Your car engines will struggle to run at their usual level if there is an internal problem.The vehicle may stall, shake at high speeds or struggle when climbing a bridge.

4)Excessive Smoke from your exhaust
There are several reasons why your exhaust could be producing smoke.The colour of the smoke can give you an idea of what is causing the problem.

If the smoke is black, it means that your engine has incomplete combustion which leads to burning too much fuel. This could be due to damaged fuel injectors,malfunctioning sensors,damaged air filter and clogged fuel return line

Grey smoke may come from a stucked pcv valve,problems with your transmission fluid and excessive oil consumption.

Dark blue smoke means that oil is leaking into your engine’s combustion chamber. This can be caused by worn out piston rings,damaged valve seals and other worn or damaged engine components.

5)The engine is running roughly
A struggling engine will often shake or lose power as the revs increase. A few common solutions for this may be to replace the spark plugs,replace your ignition coils,check your fuel pressure,clean your air flow meter or give your engine a tune-up.

6)Your car produces oil patches
If you notice puddles of oil under your vehicle, this is probably a result of a leak in your engine. As the oil depletes, more friction will occur in your engine, generating excess heat. Oil leaks are common from engine oil seals, and sump plugs/sump plug washers.

Source :https://autojosh.com/6-signs-car-needs-engine-repair/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Automotive1(m): 11:54pm On Nov 11, 2017
You don’t want a costly car repairs due to engine troubles. Learn to notice the signs of engine problems by seeing,hearing and smelling what’s going on with your vehicle while you drive it.

Do you have any addition to the above lists? Please add

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 12, 2017
Informative

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by elpj: 7:08am On Nov 12, 2017
Nice one
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by asulyman1(m): 7:09am On Nov 12, 2017
great
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 12, 2017
Good. Make I repair my footwagen first. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by echelons(m): 7:16am On Nov 12, 2017
My car was overheating and I took it to one of these tech/diagnostic mechanic workshops. The results was so underwhelming.
The pricing of car parts was hiked, some almost 3 times the price at the market for the same product. After their initial trial and error, the said the top gaskets have been affected, that the engine will be unmount and the gaskets replaced.. Another cost.
After the whole thing, the car was coupled back, the overheating has stopped but the engine now stalls especially after a brief halt, getting it in motion is dangerously slow.
My advice is this, after this experience, the best and the most cost-effective place to fix your car is at the spare parts market. If you have a trusted parts dealer there, they will take you to the best mechanic for your car and the charge is just minimal.
I spent nearly 300K fixing and tuning up my car in a techy workshop, what I would have spent at most 100k fixing at Apo or Kugbo mechanic Market.

My opinion.

8 Likes

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 12, 2017
Please what about signs that my pam slippers is about to pull? Honestly na that one hold me for now.

3 Likes

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by zelexotunla(m): 7:24am On Nov 12, 2017
pls I experience some of these signs however I have advised to work on the engine, as in to ring the engine but I need a good hand to do so in Ibadan. Pls if you have anyone around and what is cost implication? I use Honda Alar. thanks
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by basic23111: 7:24am On Nov 12, 2017
very important info but u don't talk about oil light and temperature light, careless about this two can damage your engine quickly...
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by drkay(m): 7:26am On Nov 12, 2017
been hearing a knocking sound lately, especially when ascending a sloppy terrain or flyover at low speed. otherwise, the car is on top of its game. my 'kazeem' said its probably because engine capacity is getting weaker for d ac.

1 Like

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by basic23111: 7:26am On Nov 12, 2017
zelexotunla:
pls I experience some of these signs however I have advised to work on the engine, as in to ring the engine but I need a good hand to do so in Ibadan. Pls if you have anyone around and what is cost implication? I use Honda Alar. thanks
I will advise u to buy a tokubo engine. ringing engine is total waste of time and money at time

3 Likes

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by basic23111: 7:28am On Nov 12, 2017
drkay:
been hearing a knocking sound lately.
which type of vehicle
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Mrkumareze(m): 7:42am On Nov 12, 2017
Educative. The problem we have is getting the right mechanic to handle the repair work. I was a victim recently and it cost me roughly 400k which ordinarily would have taken 280k. A mechanic once told me if my check engine light is not on it means my car won't start but when I finally realize through computer scan that the new fuel pump I was deceived to buy was faulty, it was replaced, engine check light went off and my acceleration restored.

1 Like

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by InvertedHammer: 7:48am On Nov 12, 2017
Automotive1:
[img]http:///a/img922/995/VbQMYQ.jpg[/img]

Below are the 6 signs your car needs an engine repair

1)The check engine light turns on
Dashboard warning lights are your car’s way of alerting you about problems it detects via its On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) system.
While the check engine light can be triggered by many different issues, many of them are directly related to engine performance,and ignoring the light will only lead to greater problems.

2)Your car is making strange noises
A knocking noise coming from your bonnet is a sign of a dying engine. This noise could be caused by wear or damage to your engine’s mechanical parts such as pistons, bearings or other moving parts. Other noises you should look out for include popping, spitting and backfiring from your exhaust.

3)You experience a loss of engine power
Your car engines will struggle to run at their usual level if there is an internal problem.The vehicle may stall, shake at high speeds or struggle when climbing a bridge.

4)Excessive Smoke from your exhaust
There are several reasons why your exhaust could be producing smoke.The colour of the smoke can give you an idea of what is causing the problem.

If the smoke is black, it means that your engine has incomplete combustion which leads to burning too much fuel. This could be due to damaged fuel injectors,malfunctioning sensors,damaged air filter and clogged fuel return line

Grey smoke may come from a stucked pcv valve,problems with your transmission fluid and excessive oil consumption.

Dark blue smoke means that oil is leaking into your engine’s combustion chamber. This can be caused by worn out piston rings,damaged valve seals and other worn or damaged engine components.

5)The engine is running roughly
A struggling engine will often shake or lose power as the revs increase. A few common solutions for this may be to replace the spark plugs,replace your ignition coils,check your fuel pressure,clean your air flow meter or give your engine a tune-up.

6)Your car produces oil patches
If you notice puddles of oil under your vehicle, this is probably a result of a leak in your engine. As the oil depletes, more friction will occur in your engine, generating excess heat. Oil leaks are common from engine oil seals, and sump plugs/sump plug washers.

Source :https://autojosh.com/6-signs-car-needs-engine-repair/

So you will run to repair your engine because Check Engine light is on which could also be caused by loose fuel cap or faulty oxygen sensor? Some unscrupulous mechanic will take you shine and may even cause more damage.

There is a major problem if "Check Engine" sign is flashing.

6 Likes

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by kekakuz(m): 7:56am On Nov 12, 2017
Oil disappears from my engine after 2 weeks
Am tired
What is happening please help
And the engine can shake for Africa
When I just start the car
It shakes and the check engine light is there
The most painful part is that
I just got it
It’s an EOD

1 Like

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by EmmaLege: 7:56am On Nov 12, 2017
shocked
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Dottore: 7:59am On Nov 12, 2017
Ok

1 Like

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Yameater(m): 8:20am On Nov 12, 2017
Plasmbob1:
Good. Make I repair my footwagen first. lipsrsealed
What is this one saying ?

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by drkay(m): 8:21am On Nov 12, 2017
basic23111:
which type of vehicle
sienna 02. the sound comes occasionally.
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by basic23111: 8:24am On Nov 12, 2017
drkay:

sienna 02. the sound comes occasionally.
get ur mechanic to check the engine
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by drkay(m): 8:25am On Nov 12, 2017
basic23111:
get ur mechanic to check the engine
Okay, many thanks.
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by basic23111: 8:26am On Nov 12, 2017
kekakuz:
Oil disappears from my engine after 2 weeks Am tired What is happening please help And the engine can shake for Africa When I just start the car It shakes and the check engine light is there The most painful part is that I just got it It’s an EOD
do u notice smoke from the exhaust
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by basic23111: 8:29am On Nov 12, 2017
kekakuz:
Am tired
I just got it
It’s an EOD
drive d vehicle for few minute and check under d vehicle if there is no oil leakage or drop
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by basic23111: 8:30am On Nov 12, 2017
kekakuz:
Am tired
I just got it
It’s an EOD
drive d vehicle for few minute and check under d vehicle if no oil leakage or drop
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by timifakay(m): 8:56am On Nov 12, 2017
kekakuz:
Am tired
I just got it
It’s an EOD
Probably the reason it was sold off by previous owner.
If there are no signs of external leakage where you park oil is being burnt in the combustion chamber.
What grade of oil do you use? (5w20, 5w30, 20w50)
You will need an engine overhaul or engine replacement. On the long run, replacement is better.
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by DukeNija(m): 9:05am On Nov 12, 2017
basic23111:
I will advise u to buy a tokubo engine. ringing engine is total waste of time and money at time

Ringing engine is not a waste of money. It’s better than buying an engine you are not sure of in the name of Tokunbo engine. Many of these so called Tokunbo engines are faulty and you would never know until you mount it.
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by DukeNija(m): 9:08am On Nov 12, 2017
kekakuz:
Am tired
I just got it
It’s an EOD

I would have recommended you fix the engine but this situation is extreme so save up and get a new engine. You will need a trusted dealer for this so you don’t enter one chance. Or you can also work on the engine. Speak to a good mechanic.
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by Crativjosh(m): 9:12am On Nov 12, 2017
Hahahaha, 'Kazeem' sounds familiar. Repairs AC, short dude. May be the same guy
drkay:
been hearing a knocking sound lately, especially when ascending a sloppy terrain or flyover at low speed. otherwise, the car is on top of its game. my 'kazeem' said its probably because engine capacity is getting weaker for d ac.
Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by magicfingers009: 9:23am On Nov 12, 2017
Nigerians don't bother about engine check light. They would tell you it's normal. I don't just get it. It's better to nip the problem in the bud than let it escalate and spend more. A stitch in time.

2 Likes

Re: These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair by kekakuz(m): 9:49am On Nov 12, 2017
basic23111:
do u notice smoke from the exhaust
When driving no
But when I raise yes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? / Things I Consider Before Boarding A Lagos Bus! / Solar-powered Cars For Nigerians By 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.